Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Whose fault?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Whose fault?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-14, 08:51 PM
garage sale GT
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Whose fault?

So, I picked up a Schwinn and it is made of good tubing.

The headset was a little pitted so I got another one and took it to a shop to have them remove the old one and press in the new one.

I didn't know about JIS and ISO headsets and got an ISO headset for a JIS frameset. The crown race is 26.4 instead of 27mm id. The cups are on the other hand a little larger where they press into the head tube, maybe 2/10ths of a millimeter.

So the shop put in the ISO cups but had to put my old JIS crown race back on.

I then went home and noticed the bearing cages were a different size so I couldn't use the old crown race with the new cups, so I went back to the shop to have them put in a JIS headset, but the cups no longer fit in the headtube because it had been permanently enlarged.

So, opinions please. Should they have known about the headsets or is it all on me because I bought the parts?

Last edited by garage sale GT; 10-21-14 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-17-14, 10:21 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
This is a perfect example of why many pros refuse to install stuff bought elsewhere. If they check first and tell the customer he bought the wrong stuff, they get a fight. OTOH, if they take everything at face value the customer makes it their fault if/when things go wrong. Or they can waste time double checking everythin g because they don't know the provenance.

To answe the "who's fault" both of you, with you having a slight edge. I don't know the conversation involved, but if you brought stuff and say please install, the shop had some basis to assume you brought the right stuff. OTOH- they should have known better, and not trusted that.

However, something else is going on, or maybe you have the facts muddled in the post.

JIS has a larger crown race 27.0 vs. 26.4, but a smaller head tube dia. 30.0 vs 30.2. so a JIS headset would simply drop into an ISO frame or fork. It's also why JIS frames can easily be converted to ISO (both the frame and fork) but not the reverse.

Also, I've NEVER seen a same model headset made in JIS and ISO versions where any of the bearing dimensions were different. The headsets are 100% identical except the OD and IDs where they fit the frame and fork.

I suspect that there's no serious fault, just that you have some mixed up parts.

Afterthought. if they tried the crown race installation first, and found it was wrong, they should have known there was a decent chance the head cups would be also, and stopped there. If they installed the frame cups first it's grayer. They should have felt that the cups were unreasonably tight and stopped. But some tubes, especially with Tig frames expand fairly easily and it can sometimes be easy to press in an oversized cup.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 10-17-14 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-18-14, 06:56 AM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I think I have the types backward. The fork takes a 27.0 crown race.
Old 10-18-14, 07:08 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Its your fault you bought the wrong headset period. To save a couple of dollars you have the wrong parts. Roger
Old 10-18-14, 07:14 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They should have caught that it was the wrong parts but ultimately you supplied the parts so the liability falls on you. A busy day with a mechanic trying to get caught up doing a fairly easy repair just zoomed through the job and never looked back. I suspect the same thing would have happened at most shops.
Old 10-18-14, 07:15 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by garage sale GT
I think I have the types backward. The fork takes a 27.0 crown race.
OK, the bike is JIS and the headset you bought is ISO. That makes a bit more sense. I gather hat the headset isn't the same model, so mixing of the parts isn't an option.

Fault aside, the easiest - though not the cheapest - option is have a shop convert the frame and fork to ISO.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-18-14, 07:44 AM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
Its your fault you bought the wrong headset period. To save a couple of dollars you have the wrong parts. Roger
Actually their quoted price to do the work themselves sounded a bit low.
Old 10-21-14, 04:26 PM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yes I was plenty polite when turning down their offer of replacing the pitted part in the original headset.
Old 10-22-14, 09:26 AM
cycle_maven
Collector of Useless Info

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've seen all combinations of 26.4 vs 27 crown race and 30 vs 30.2 headset cup diameter. You need to measure before buying the parts.
Old 10-22-14, 10:13 AM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
^^Exactly. The OP didn't say which Schwinn, but many of the Panasonic built models had headsets that were a combination of ISO (fork crown race) and JIS (headtube cup/race) parts.
Old 10-22-14, 10:27 AM
cycle_maven
Collector of Useless Info

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cycle_maven
I've seen all combinations of 26.4 vs 27 crown race and 30 vs 30.2 headset cup diameter. You need to measure before buying the parts.
But that was ponderously unhelpful, wasn't it . Anyway, maybe the manufacturer of the headset you purchased will have a 26.4 crown race to go with the 30.2 cups. Or maybe the bike shop has one in a parts drawer that's compatible. But I think you're stuck with 30.2 cups from now on since the headtube is probably expended. Really not a huge problem, but something to remember for next time.
Old 10-22-14, 10:36 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Originally Posted by garage sale GT
Yes I was plenty polite when turning down their offer of replacing the pitted part in the original headset.
And when did this conversation occur? Before the service was done, during, at time of pick up or after the OP got home? This speaks directly to how the shop handled the problem and who has the broken egg in hand. Andy.