Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What does an expensive frame get you?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What does an expensive frame get you?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-20, 03:14 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Oh?

Repairing minor damage on a CF is often much less expensive than buying an Allez Sprint or CAAD frame.
This is likely true. In the event that an aluminum or cf frame required repair, I would just toss either frame and start anew. Repairs just shift the failure points to different locations and would likely end up making the repaired area more resistant to flex, which would likely overstress an adjacent area.
Old 09-15-20, 03:26 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
Repairs just shift the failure points to different locations and would likely end up making the repaired area more resistant to flex, which would likely overstress an adjacent area.
Hmmmmm - trust the people that build and repair frames, that have knowledge and that have skin in the game... or trust the guy online making blanket statements in an effort to justify their own purchases? Tough call.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-15-20, 03:28 PM
Princess_Allez

Hmmmmm - trust the people that build and repair frames, that have knowledge and that have skin in the game... or trust the guy online making blanket statements in an effort to justify their own purchases? Tough call.
you're a funny guy 😀...I've read some of your other posts; very polarizing.

Last edited by Princess_Allez; 09-15-20 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-15-20, 04:01 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6942 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
That's quite a basic statement. People can enjoy a bike outside of how it looks; even if they aren't fast.
You should take your sense of humor out and play with it some time.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-15-20, 04:35 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
No need to hate. I'm talking about from a pure performance standpoint. If a carbon bike has some other merit than weighing less, I'm all for it. I actually don't envy carbon bikes at all. I can afford to have one, but will likely go titanium instead. Metal bikes crash better and chain drops won't total the frame out.
Grossly misinformed.
Likes For cthenn:
Old 09-15-20, 04:40 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
This is likely true. In the event that an aluminum or cf frame required repair, I would just toss either frame and start anew. Repairs just shift the failure points to different locations and would likely end up making the repaired area more resistant to flex, which would likely overstress an adjacent area.
In theory this is correct for a poorly done repair.
However there are plenty of repairers that now what they are doing and can do effective long lasting repairs.
Also buying a frame based on how well it crashes is only relevant to a few riders. Mainly young poor racers.
Certainly for me crash damage to the bike is only a small part of the problem of hitting the ground.
The main issues being the time taken for an ageing body to heal and the potential time off work.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 09-15-20, 05:44 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
For a crit bike AL is as light and stiff as required. It will be very lively as AL is the densest material available will will transmit every shock. The better AL bikes try to replace as many AL parts as they can with CF. Comfort can be improved with geometry but you are still fighting the properties of the material. For the record CF has an unlimited fatigue life as opposed to AL with has a short fatigue life followed by titanium welds (also virtually unrepairable along with AL due to the need to autoclave the welds. There are choices out there for CF repair and it is not difficult or unreasonably expensive.
Old 09-15-20, 05:50 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
I don't want to shift this thread into alu vs carbon or Cannondale vs. the rest, but nothing else I test rode at the time talked to me in the same way. I felt like I was riding a small sports car on the CAAD. Everything else felt so smooth and SUV-like..
FWIW...I love my CAAD 12 but my Guru Sidero (steel) is quicker steering and incredibly agile. It's all down to a steep fork rake on the Guru. The CAAD 12 is not far off. I've owned everything from Lotus to Corvette to Audi an BMW. The Guru is the Lotus. Not better necessarily but you think about a move and you've already made it. Like my Lotus.
Old 09-15-20, 05:53 PM
Chubby715

Bikes: Cervelo R5

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Last summer I went straight from my old, handmade, custom racing frame from the 1980s, which was considered very good at the time, to a Cervélo R3. Holy smoke! Then I got some good wheels. ¡Ai, ai, ai!
I did the same thing this spring. Went from a 1986 custom Columbus frame with Campy SR to a Cervelo R5 with Dura Ace and Zipp 303 wheels. Its a much lighter bike and much more responsive when you stand up and climb. And my knees aren't sore anymore after consecutive days of riding.
Likes For Chubby715:
Old 09-15-20, 05:57 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
My observation of a "cheaper" vs " expensive" frame.

The stiffness of the bottom bracket is noticeable. I find the more expensive (aka stiffer) frame you accelerate as you're getting out of the saddle where the cheaper there is what i call "turbo lag". The bike does not jump as it does on the more expensive frame.

BTW, i'm comparing a Trek Emonda SL to a SLR.
Old 09-15-20, 06:24 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
It will be very lively as AL is the densest material available ...
What are you talking about?

Density of common metals (gm/cm^3):
Al (6061): 2.7
Steel: ~8.0
Ti (3/5): 4.48

Last edited by asgelle; 09-15-20 at 06:49 PM.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 09-15-20, 07:26 PM
popeye

Originally Posted by asgelle
What are you talking about?

Density of common metals (gm/cm^3):
Al (6061): 2.7
Steel: ~8.0
Ti (3/5): 4.48
Guilty as charged. I mis-recalled an old Sheldon Brown article and should have known better.

"Besides stiffness of the frame, feel is also important, but is much more subjective and esoteric. There is no best “feel”, but typically steel frames are “lively” (which is a “springy” feel), titanium shares the feel of steel but is slightly more damping and takes the edge off of the high frequency road noise, and carbon fiber has a very damp feel and little “springiness”. Finally, aluminum lacks “springiness” and damping, which is why it’s got a rap for feeling “harsh”."
Likes For popeye:
Old 09-15-20, 07:34 PM
asgelle

Guilty as charged. I mis-recalled an old Sheldon Brown article and should have known better.
That’s one example of why it’s bad to use other people’s work without attribution.
Old 09-15-20, 07:37 PM
popeye

Originally Posted by asgelle
That’s one example of why it’s bad to use other people’s work without attribution.
Recollection from 20yrs ago and I got it wrong the first time.
Old 09-15-20, 07:38 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Chubby715
I did the same thing this spring. Went from a 1986 custom Columbus frame with Campy SR to a Cervelo R5 with Dura Ace and Zipp 303 wheels. Its a much lighter bike and much more responsive when you stand up and climb. And my knees aren't sore anymore after consecutive days of riding.
Add me to the list. Went from a 1999 Tommasini to a carbon bike with disc brakes and carbon wheels. My old Tommasini was close to 20 lbs and the new bike is 16.5. But I think I like my old bike better.
Old 09-15-20, 07:58 PM
Princess_Allez

Originally Posted by Koyote
You should take your sense of humor out and play with it some time.
I'll make sure to remember to air it out every so often. Thanks.
Old 09-15-20, 08:06 PM
Princess_Allez

"Besides stiffness of the frame, feel is also important, but is much more subjective and esoteric. There is no best “feel”, but typically steel frames are “lively” (which is a “springy” feel), titanium shares the feel of steel but is slightly more damping and takes the edge off of the high frequency road noise, and carbon fiber has a very damp feel and little “springiness”. Finally, aluminum lacks “springiness” and damping, which is why it’s got a rap for feeling “harsh”."
This is what I was getting. It was failed to be mentioned. There IS a benefit to cf frames outside of weight reduction. They dampen high frequency road vibrations. That is worth paying the extra money.
Old 09-15-20, 08:23 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Or you could just use wider tyres and forget about frame material.
Likes For znomit:
Old 09-16-20, 06:39 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
This is what I was getting. It was failed to be mentioned. There IS a benefit to cf frames outside of weight reduction. They dampen high frequency road vibrations. That is worth paying the extra money.
It could be, though some folks like what is sometimes termed 'more connection with the road', which might be a reflection on degree of road 'buzz' getting through to the rider.

Given that I'd wager Sheldon's input was written probably a decade ago, I also wonder to what degree frame material matters as much now with the popularity of ever wider tires. Yes, when we we all ran 23s, frame material impact on ride feel could have been more substantial; but as frames now allow folks to ride with 30+ mm width (as measured) tires, some frames with actual shock absorbing devices built in, etc, -- I would guess that the dampening quality of the raw material is a lot less a part of the overall ride-feel equation?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 09-16-20, 06:46 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
It could be, though some folks like what is sometimes termed 'more connection with the road', which might be a reflection on degree of road 'buzz' getting through to the rider.
Yeah, because they often mistake that for speed and assume/justify that any less "road feel" means a dead, uncommunicative frame.
Old 09-16-20, 07:26 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Or you could just use wider tyres and forget about frame material.
Or they could just knock off 5 psi off the tire pressure at a time, until it mutes any excessive buzz. I run my 23F / 25R tires at anything from 80 psi to 110 psi.
110 psi is really nice on smooth roads but you feel it over the lower quality ones, 100 psi takes the edge off those, and if I'm going for a training ride over local backroad climbs, where the road is more like a collection of patches upon potholes upon old patches, 80 psi. Why change tires when you can vary the tire pressure.

CF is still better, though.
Old 09-16-20, 07:41 AM
asgelle

Originally Posted by Branko D
Why change tires when you can vary the tire pressure.
Pinch flats
Likes For asgelle:
Old 09-16-20, 08:25 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Yeah, because they often mistake that for speed and assume/justify that any less "road feel" means a dead, uncommunicative frame.
Agree. Too often the terminology and words used conjure negative impressions, eg. dead, flat, or Sheldon's "very damp feel", instead of perhaps smooth, solid, stable or assured, etc
Old 09-16-20, 10:45 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
It seems the overall takeaway from all this is that carbon bikes, when designed for performance and stiffness, ride no differently than performance aluminum frames, such as an Allez Sprint.
Not really. Whether there is a significant performance gain - i cannot say. Probably not a huge one.

But can i tell a difference? Hell yeah. I can definitely tell a difference between, say, the ride of my Venge, my R5 and my Damocles - all 3 are carbon bikes. Now admittedly, they arent specced exactly the same, but if the carbon wheels, bars and seatpost can contribute to a difference in feel, surely so can the frame... and the biggest difference i notice is in the bike's response when I slamdance on the pedals and dial it up to 400W. Again - I am not saying this matters in terms of performance, but the difference is noticeable for sure.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 09-16-20, 11:17 AM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
Five or six years ago my wife and I purchased hybrid bikes to use as one of the activities we wanted to do to get back to fit. After a year or so of riding, I became interested in getting a road bike and extending my time in the saddle. After too much research and way too much time reading posts on this forum, I bought a 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp. After finding the right seat (for me), fine tuning the fit and just putting in the miles, I fell in love with this bike.

I typically ride 3 to 4 times during the work week. Anywhere from 15 to 25 miles depending on how early the sun comes up and what my morning work schedule looks like. I will usually ride a 25 to 40 mile ride on the weekends (30 is more typical) at least once and sometime twice depending on what is planned. My average speed on a ride, according to my Garmin, runs anywhere from 14.5 to 16.7. Overpasses and bridges are the only hills I climb. Basically, I’m not a speed demon or and endurance rider.

A week before last Christmas, I was in REI with my wife to get her some new winter gloves and hiking shoes. They had a 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE (Aluminum) in my size for a price that made me look twice and had to ask an REI employee if I was reading it wrong. Long story short: walked in for gloves and left with a bike. This bike sits at our weekend place, so I don’t have to drag the Roubaix down every trip.

Both bikes are set up nearly identical: Same seat, same pedals, same fit. The main differences are frame material, Future Shock (Roubaix), and tire width (Synopse has 30mm). Once I’m on the bike and riding, I can’t tell the difference. And my Garmin says I’m about the same speed and do the same distances on either bike. I’ve never weighed either of them, but lifting them to move them, I don’t notice a difference in weight either. Though I would assume that the Roubaix would be lighter if I weighed them.

Maybe someone younger and/or more fit than me would notice an extreme difference between the two. I’m sure there are tangibles in a higher end frame that I fail to notice. At least in the audiophile world there are objective and double blind tests the prove and disprove various postulations made by the so called experts; yet there are still audiophiles that swear by their $3K speaker wires.
Likes For Just Mark:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.