Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycle repossession. Is it coming?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bicycle repossession. Is it coming?

Old 06-21-21, 02:21 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Giant, Trek, Specialized, Cannondale...All offer six or 12 month interest free financing. I have a Trek, Specialized and Cannondale Card.
These are essentially just store credit cards though, right? You charge the purchase and if you pay off the balance in 6 months (or 12 months), they won't charge you interest. If you don't pay it off, they hit you with some ridiculous APR hike.

Furniture and department stores have been doing this for decades. No one is repossessing store merchandise when people fail to pay off these cards on time. They just apply penalties, ding your credit and eventually turn you over to a collection agency.

The difference with auto financing is that the bank actually holds the title of the car until the loan is paid off. You don't really own it, the bank does. So if you stop paying on the loan, they're gonna come get their car.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 06-21-21, 03:50 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I would never purchase a bike on credit....I prefer to pay cash.
Old 06-21-21, 04:03 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
These are essentially just store credit cards though, right? You charge the purchase and if you pay off the balance in 6 months (or 12 months), they won't charge you interest. If you don't pay it off, they hit you with some ridiculous APR hike.
The cards I have say Trek and Specialized on them with the store name.

https://d.comenity.net/ac/trek/public/home

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-card
Old 06-21-21, 05:10 PM
ComputerGuyInNO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just purchased a Catrike Expedition from Utah Trikes. They were offering 18 month no interest financing via Synchrony Bank so I took advantage of the offer. I could have paid cash but why do so when you can get free financing. I have not paid interest on a car in well over a decade. I always buy new cars and shop for 0% financing. This is one reason I will never buy a Mercedes or BMW as they never offer 0% loans. My last four cars have all been Mazdas.
Old 06-21-21, 05:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Basically you buy a $10k bike on credit and sell it for $5k and buy a $5k bike with cash. No one could find your sold $10k bike to re-possess it.
The serial number could be marked as stolen, and the next time the S/N pops up, who ever is holding the bike is out of luck, potentially even if it wasn't reported stolen until after the person bought it.

The same thing is currently happening in the cell phone world. Many cell phones are financed in one way or another. There is a risk that a person will acquire a cell phone by one method or another. Then resell it before anybody noticed that it is either stolen or not paid for. Then the cell company will "brick" the phone leaving the buyer with a non-working phone. Many E-Bay sellers don't guarantee their IMEI is "clean".
Old 06-21-21, 05:50 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The serial number could be marked as stolen, and the next time the S/N pops up, who ever is holding the bike is out of luck, potentially even if it wasn't reported stolen until after the person bought it.
The ironic thing about that is the cops will return the bike to the person who originally reported it stolen.

Hopefully it will have been sold a time or two so the guy who the cops took it from doesn't report you as the one who sold it to him.
Old 06-21-21, 06:06 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Monthly payments on a bicycle ???....No way
Old 06-21-21, 06:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la

Furniture and department stores have been doing this for decades. No one is repossessing store merchandise when people fail to pay off these cards on time. They just apply penalties, ding your credit and eventually turn you over to a collection agency.

The difference with auto financing is that the bank actually holds the title of the car until the loan is paid off. You don't really own it, the bank does. So if you stop paying on the loan, they're gonna come get their car.
Actually, I have seen furniture stores and Best Buy occasionally enforce their right to repo for failure to pay on a store card balance. It's pretty rare, but some of the items they sell are big ticket.
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p...erest-pmsi.asp
Old 06-21-21, 06:42 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Coming this fall to A&E ‘Bike Repo’…

‘There it is, the Pinarello Dogma F8 we’ve been looking for. The owner is in the coffee shop berating the barista for not having fair-trade almond milk so we’ll sneak up and try to grab it … oh no he has Time pedals! … We’ll have to replace the cleats in these shoes, good thing I have a skin suit to get some distance once we get going.’

I’d probably watch that!
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 06-22-21, 07:46 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
And I really don't think this thread needs to head into the "I am able to write a check for..." direction.
I don't mean to brag, but I can walk into a store and buy whatever I want without having to ask how much things cost. Thanks, dollar store.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 06-22-21, 07:49 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
If it's reported to the police and the s/n entered into NCIC as stolen, it's not likely to be run unless a buyer insists upon having a police officer present at the sale to run it. And then, if you hold onto it for a year, you're free & clear because items such as bicycles are automatically purged from NCIC computers after a year.
Old 06-22-21, 07:55 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Actually, I have seen furniture stores and Best Buy occasionally enforce their right to repo for failure to pay on a store card balance. It's pretty rare, but some of the items they sell are big ticket.
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p...erest-pmsi.asp
Nebraska Furniture Mart (regional gigantic furniture warehouse outfit) is pretty notorious for being hard asses about collections and/or repo. My understanding is that it's a policy decision -- even if you don't come out ahead, financially, by paying a lawyer to go to court to enforce your rights on a $500 TV; if you do that for every single past-due account I guess they come out ahead.

But they also have their own financing agreements as opposed to boilerplate unsecured loan agreements, and the local debtors' attorneys all know that in most cases it's not worth the trouble to fight them so they'll encourage their clients to surrender the collateral.

I don't have much experience with these third-party point-of-sale financing outfits like Affirm and Synchrony. They got big after I'd stopped doing insolvency law. I'd guess they probably write most things off and sell off the bad debt. That's what Visa does.

Last edited by ksryder; 06-22-21 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-22-21, 07:57 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Monthly payments on a bicycle ???....No way
Why not? Interest free financing that allows me to put extra money monthly into my 401k/IRA which have been averaging 10% return over the past 30 years.

Dumb not to if it's offered.
Old 06-22-21, 08:05 AM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
My question is: why would you buy a bicycle on credit? No one NEEDS a 3,000$ bike so if a potential bike buyer only has 1,200$ then buy a 1,200$ bike or save money.
Old 06-22-21, 08:13 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by blue192
My question is: why would you buy a bicycle on credit? No one NEEDS a 3,000$ bike so if a potential bike buyer only has 1,200$ then buy a 1,200$ bike or save money.
It's not about needs. It's about wants.

You only live once. You aren't promised today, tomorrow or next week. Splurge away and have fun.
Old 06-22-21, 08:22 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
There is no logical distinction between needs and wants, so it's kind of pointless to bring it up.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-22-21, 08:34 AM
prj71

Rule #12 applies.
Old 06-22-21, 06:54 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
So many self righteous cash buyers in this thread.
Obviously not many with a finance major though
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 06-22-21, 07:12 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
So many self righteous cash buyers in this thread.
Obviously not many with a finance major though
You don’t need a finance degree to know that borrowing at 2% so that you can invest at 10% is a smart move.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-22-21, 07:20 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I have very little good to say about finance. There is a lot to be said for being debt-free. If nothing else, it cuts down on spending.
Old 06-22-21, 08:04 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
With the ever rising costs of new bikes and credit/financing offers that those costs have created, are we going to see banks start repossessing delinquent account holder's bikes? Bikes costing $3k+ are pretty commonplace and banks will go after cars worth half of that.
Craziness never ceases to amaze me. Going into debt for a bike. Whew.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 06-22-21, 08:06 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts

You only live once. You aren't promised today, tomorrow or next week. Splurge away and have fun.
Yeah that's why most Americans have so few assets when they want to retire. Idiots.
Old 06-22-21, 08:49 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I have very little good to say about finance. There is a lot to be said for being debt-free. If nothing else, it cuts down on spending.
This is a rather simplistic view, and not at all supported by actual principles.

One simple example: how many people can afford to buy a house without borrowing money? And yet, many people wish to own houses, they are generally pretty good investments, and we all need somewhere to live. Postponing that purchase until you have saved up the entire purchase price would involve missing out on a great many benefits - both financial and intangible.

By the same token, student loans are generally very wise financial moves, as long as certain conditions are met - such as that the degree is actually earned and has a reasonable market value.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-22-21, 10:04 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I was talking about consumer loans, not houses. It's pretty clear this thread is about consumer spending, not anything with tangible value. Housing certainly is one area where I'm never paying cash, but it's not a $10000 bicycle either. My insistence on buying bikes with cash limits me to $3000 bicycles, plus or minus.

We have plenty of investments and are also debt free, the kids made it through college without taking any loans and that combined is probably worth at least another $50k in stress reduction and happiness to me. And that's a very generous estimate of what I might have made with the money had I engaged in debt arbitrage.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 06-22-21, 10:50 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
The point is that the blanket recommendations against credit really don't hold up to critical scrutiny...And I was giving a counter-example. But I get where you are coming from. If you're beyond a certain age, it's no great feat to muster up enough cash to buy a new car.

PS: I also once bought a new car on a credit card that was tied to my frequent-flyer account. I got a ton of points and paid it off before interest accumulated. Sometimes, debt is the smarter way to go.
Often debt is the smarter way to go.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M2SL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.