Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cold weather oil and chain lube.

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 01-11-22, 12:11 PM
cncwhiz

Bikes: Cannondale synapsis, Giant 29r rigid tail

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Like everybody else, my shifting is getting slow and not crisp. What do you use for winter riding? I live in a dry climate that runs in the 30's and get snow?
Old 01-11-22, 04:23 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I've never noticed chain lube (other than wax) causing problems. Phil Wood, Finish Line Wet, automatic transmission home brew, all seem to work down to the 15F that winter typically bottoms out at here.

I have learned to stick with oil for cables. Grease will slow shifting down. Way down.
Old 01-16-22, 06:32 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I doubt 30F degrees would require special consideration/lube. but always smart to clean derailleurs, chain, cables & housings. that should improve performance

I've stopped using "wet lube" after seeing what it turns into on my chain. too thick & goey. now I like clean chains w/ a nice thin dry lube & not a lot of it
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-19-22, 08:06 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
As a mostly daily commuter in most often salty liquidy conditions, even at -15c, I wash all the salty crap off my bike every day.

I've tried the various chain lubes I have, but in the end for a few years have settled on wiping the chain with a rag well after the wash, wiping the chain rings quickly and spraying the chain with wd40.
I figure the water dispersing thing is a good thing, and it does keep the chain from being less gunky and grit accumulating.

caveat-- I'm riding about 5kms, 3 miles to work, the bike is a dedicated winter bike but that I do care about and take care of. Chain and cassette life has been good, and I easily go 2 winters on a chain and the last cassette was there for probably 3 chains, so for me this method works well enough, is fast and keeps the drivetrain less gunky, which = faster clean time.

probably not as good as a good thin proper chain lube, but the convenience outweighs it for me.

My shifting problems aren't chain related, but the usual cable housing and 25 yr old shifters stuff when it's below -10c or so. No idea in F

-10c is 14f
-15c is 5f

Last edited by djb; 01-19-22 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-19-22, 09:31 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
if your dry and you can warm the chain been using this in winter. it will last a few hours in the rain too. rock and roll holy cow.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-20-22, 11:10 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by cncwhiz
Like everybody else, my shifting is getting slow and not crisp. What do you use for winter riding? I live in a dry climate that runs in the 30's and get snow?
I've biked daily through Minneapolis winters 10+ years and I'll let you knw that I just picked up two more bottles of Boeshield T-9. It works great in all kinds of conditions!

For reference, T-9 kept my drivetrain happy for 50 miles in these conditions (2018 Filthy 50 ... AKA The Filthiest 50) ... this ride caused many riders drivetrain pains.

photo credit Markman Outdoor Photography
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 01-20-22, 01:06 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I've biked daily through Minneapolis winters 10+ years and I'll let you knw that I just picked up two more bottles of Boeshield T-9. It works great in all kinds of conditions!

For reference, T-9 kept my drivetrain happy for 50 miles in these conditions (2018 Filthy 50 ... AKA The Filthiest 50) ... this ride caused many riders drivetrain pains.
Geez Louise, that really is a grit/muckfest isn't it?
Good reminder on that boeshield t9, I've been meaning to look around for it. Perhaps because I've not actively searched, it seems to me that it's not common around here, but I would like to try it sometime.
Likes For djb:
Old 01-20-22, 01:23 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad

photo credit Markman Outdoor Photography
You put the T-9 on your eye sockets to keep the grit out of your eyes? Jeez Louise, what a mess!
Old 01-21-22, 07:28 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
You put the T-9 on your eye sockets to keep the grit out of your eyes? Jeez Louise, what a mess!

I had grit in the corners of my eyes for a month after that ride!