Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Kona Sutra, max tire size

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-21-22, 04:10 PM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I have a 2012 Kona Sutra and I'd like to install the largest tires possible to be more suitable for more gravel riding (not racing, just exploring or going to the cottage).

It seems to me that the clearance for the rear tire is greater than that of the front. I have the fenders still on and am willing to remove them.

Anyone?
Old 05-22-22, 07:38 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 952 Times in 783 Posts
Kona must have an official recommendation, but in the meantime, use a ruler and take a gander and a measure at both ends.
check out minimum suggested clearances, for at best situations of mud sticking, and a wobbly wheel from a busted spoke.
I forget the recommended safe clearance
You should get a pretty good idea eyeballing it
Old 05-23-22, 05:35 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Kona must have an official recommendation, but in the meantime, use a ruler and take a gander and a measure at both ends.
check out minimum suggested clearances, for at best situations of mud sticking, and a wobbly wheel from a busted spoke.
I forget the recommended safe clearance
You should get a pretty good idea eyeballing it
That mention of clearance for a wobble due to spoke damage brings up an issue that should be considered in addition to any official recommendation and may vary with the rider and the usage. If you will ride in more remote places and be off the grid longer you may want more clearance just in case you need to limp along witha a wobbly wheel. That need may be mitigated to some degree if you are good at repairing wheels and carry spokes to do so. On the other hand if you will be in places near home or where you can catch a ride to a bike shop extra clearance may be less important.

Bottom line you may consider more or less clearance that the official minimum based on your own situstion and needs. My preference is for a bit of extra clearance, but I can live with less. If I go with less clearance I would be extra sure of having spokes and a spoke wrench if going anywhere that I'd be far from help.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 05-23-22, 06:03 AM
djb

Wise words stae
Old 05-23-22, 11:52 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
around 40mm with fenders. maybe push it up to 2.1" with out.
Old 05-27-22, 08:09 AM
user2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
For newer Sutras (after 2017ish I think) you can fit 2.1" or 2.2" (55mm) without fenders. But I think the Sutra frame may have changed over the years to increase tire clearance, so the 2012 might have less clearance.

Keep in mind also that the manufacturers stated width of tires often differ from the actual dimensions, and that tires tend to get a bit taller (bigger outside diameter) as you go up in size.
Old 05-27-22, 08:22 AM
djb

Originally Posted by jrickards
I have a 2012 Kona Sutra and I'd like to install the largest tires possible to be more suitable for more gravel riding (not racing, just exploring or going to the cottage).

It seems to me that the clearance for the rear tire is greater than that of the front. I have the fenders still on and am willing to remove them.

Anyone?
Ever find out from Kona?