Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bikeforums' Sub 15lbs ridable bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bikeforums' Sub 15lbs ridable bikes

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-08, 06:44 PM
ZXiMan
Raptor Custom Bicycles

Bikes: Raptor Bicycles... Fully custom carbon bikes... just the way you want them!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PipinFan
Uppss my bike is an stock one,I just changed my wheels from Kysiriums ES's to Rolf Prima Elan Aero,from Continental GT 4000 tires to Schwalbe Ultremos,from a 210-220 grams seat Selle Italia SLK gel Flow to a Selle Italia Teknologika,and with pedals.. Look Keo Carbon,water cages and computer she weighted today at 14.8 Lbs,I was surprised but that is the weight.
No really...

The cynical here need pictures of your bike hanging from a scale...
Old 01-12-08, 07:02 PM
PipinFan

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix TDF,2008 Orbea Orca in Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZXiMan
No really...

The cynical here need pictures of your bike hanging from a scale...
I have no problem doing that... my pleasure, if anybody wants to see the "scale" with my Orca hanging from it I can do it.. All I can say is this bike of mine right now is a 15 pounder guaranteed.
Old 01-12-08, 11:24 PM
UT_Dude
Texas Fight!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VT to CA
No, that's my bad- for some reason I typed "Scott Pro" and it came out "Specialized"... long day, and the "S" with the "P" got my dyslexia going. I wasn't feeling that Scott at 14 even- no way, no how. But I was admiring yours... sorry for the confusion. Beautiful bike, by the way.
Scale picture tomorrow, just for you.
Old 01-12-08, 11:53 PM
neospazzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZXiMan
Your wheels are advertised at 1420 grams, mine at 1480 grams (the new '08 SL's are lighter than the old ES's). Mine actually weighed 1468 (621 front/847 rear bare and 902 front/1120 rear with tires, tubes and inflated to 120 psi)
The 1420gr weight is for the new 2008 model. I have the 2007 model which is only 1360gr advertised. I am going to get my bike weighed tomorrow. I will let you guys know the status. Thanks.
Old 01-13-08, 12:18 AM
VT to CA
Roman Killer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UT_Dude
Scale picture tomorrow, just for you.
I have that exact same frameset (2006 Scott CR1 Pro), albeit in a medium. I'll compare just based on what I see...

Your frame, being a small, is maybe 50-75g lighter, but that's it. The fork is standard, and is a pig at 470g uncut.

I run Dura Ace, so your shifters will be lighter, but I close the gap with a lighter crankset, and DA has a lighter front derailleur than Force (by 20-something grams) while the rear derailleur weights are roughly a 5g difference. DA cassettes are lighter than the Force's as well, by a substantial 30-40g.

My stem and bars are only slightly lighter, as are my wheels (ES), but the tires (Ultremos w/ Forte LunarLite tubes) shave off a considerable amount compared to yours... my pedals are lighter too. finally my saddle is a 110g stripped SLR.

I'm not even comparing and contrasting all the tricky little extras I have, like a 10g seatpost collar, an ultralight token BB, a lightweight fork expander, 12g carbon cages, etc. etc.

Anyway you slice it, my bike is coming in at least 150g lighter than yours, and that's after giving yours the full 75g headstart due to frame size, and leaning towards the conservative in the component approximations. 150g. That's a little over a third of a pound.

But my bike as is stands verified at 15.3... with no computer.

There is no possible way your bike is almost a pound and a half lighter... but it is a pretty sweet 15.6 lb rig.

Last edited by VT to CA; 01-13-08 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-13-08, 12:46 AM
Tequila Joe
Living the n+1

Bikes: 2019 RM Blizzard, 2013 SuperX, 2007 Litespeed Vortex, 1970 Falcon Olympic, 2008 RM Metropolis IGH, 2004 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Langster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ummm..... 14.3 pounds WITH the reflectors.

Old 01-13-08, 12:50 AM
VT to CA
Roman Killer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tequila Joe
Ummm..... 14.3 pounds WITH the reflectors.

No way. My boy has that exact ride and it isn't a gram over 13lb even.
Old 01-13-08, 02:51 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^ Just when I thought VT to CA had had a humourectomy.

Tequila Joe, CF kickstand ftw
Old 01-13-08, 03:12 AM
elgalad
Carbon Fiber Bones

Bikes: '07 Scott Speedster S30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VT to CA
I have that exact same frameset (2006 Scott CR1 Pro), albeit in a medium. I'll compare just based on what I see...

Your frame, being a small, is maybe 50-75g lighter, but that's it. The fork is standard, and is a pig at 470g uncut.

I run Dura Ace, so your shifters will be lighter, but I close the gap with a lighter crankset, and DA has a lighter front derailleur than Force (by 20-something grams) while the rear derailleur weights are roughly a 5g difference. DA cassettes are lighter than the Force's as well, by a substantial 30-40g.

My stem and bars are only slightly lighter, as are my wheels (ES), but the tires (Ultremos w/ Forte LunarLite tubes) shave off a considerable amount compared to yours... my pedals are lighter too. finally my saddle is a 110g stripped SLR.

I'm not even comparing and contrasting all the tricky little extras I have, like a 10g seatpost collar, an ultralight token BB, a lightweight fork expander, 12g carbon cages, etc. etc.

Anyway you slice it, my bike is coming in at least 150g lighter than yours, and that's after giving yours the full 75g headstart due to frame size, and leaning towards the conservative in the component approximations. 150g. That's a little over a third of a pound.

But my bike as is stands verified at 15.3... with no computer.

There is no possible way your bike is almost a pound and a half lighter... but it is a pretty sweet 15.6 lb rig.
My bike's lighter than your bike, nerny nerny ner ner
Old 01-13-08, 03:28 AM
VT to CA
Roman Killer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rollin
^^ Just when I thought VT to CA had had a humourectomy.

Tequila Joe, CF kickstand ftw
I know, I know... I must be coming off as a complete tool, but I really think this thread could be a cool thing... kind of the bridge between this site and weightweenies... more people come here for practical advice, and there for insane gram-counting advice, like which German handmade carbon post/saddle unit is best...

This thread could be kind of the best of both worlds- a sticky where people can get ideas for practical, everyday rigs... that are feathery to boot.

But it won't be a genuine source of legitimate info if everyone starts posting their builds and claiming random numbers.

I just think the thread is one of the coolest ideas I've seen on this forum, and I'd really like to see it take off. Ground rules for proving your weight need to be established for that to happen...

And I wasn't comparing my bike to UTDude's to be competitive, merely to point out that 14lb flat wasn't a realistic number for that bike, and to underline the necessity for some sort of a proof standard in the thread.

(waiting for someone to quote this, bold the part about my coming of as a tool and say something along the lines of "correct"...)
Old 01-13-08, 03:34 AM
phallenthoul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rollin
CF kickstand ftw
LOL

09 Christmas Groupbuy Started
PM me to join My Mail List
Old 01-13-08, 07:17 AM
Juanmoretime

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, I'll play. 12.69lbs ridden over 7,400 miles last year.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...ighlight=titus
Old 01-13-08, 08:28 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Juanmoretime

Very, very nice!
Old 01-13-08, 08:33 AM
foul smell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha, wow. 7k miles. That's more than I did last year with my beater Trek 1000 with rust stains.
Old 01-14-08, 03:21 AM
neospazzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neo****zy
I think I will go to another LBS and have them weigh it and get a second opinion.
I got my bike weighted again today, except at another LBS. Sure enough, it is still 16.57 lbs and this is with new 70gr tubes in both tires (saddlebag and pump removed). Maybe if I went with Zero Gravity calipers, got a lighter saddle, and changed out my whole Dura-Ace stuff out for Campy Record stuff, my bike would fall in the 15lb range. For now, I am happy with my setup and probably won't do anything for a while. Here is my current setup:

Bottecchia Sprint CF78 Team 55cm All Carbon Frame (no decals applied)
Easton EC90 SLX fork
Ritchey WCS 4-Axis 100mm Stem
Ritchey WCS 42cm Handlebars
Rolf Prima Elan Aero RS Wheelset
Continental Grand Prix 4000S Tires (new "Black Chilis")
Look Keo Carbon Ti Pedals
Fizik Arione Ti Saddle
Karbona All Carbon Seatpost
Full Dura-Ace 7800 group except for brake calipers. Crank Arm is 172.5mm and running 12-27 cogs.
Cane Creek SCR-5 Brake Calipers with KoolStop wet weather pads (the salmon colored ones ... love em!)
Cane Creek IS-2 Integrated headset
Forte Ultra Light Road Tubes (Performance house brand)
Forte Theta Carbon Water Cage
Topeak Micro Rocket Carbon MasterBlaster Mini Pump
Fizik ICS Saddlebag
Garmin Edge 305 Setup with Cadence and Heart Monitors

I was going to get new brake calipers (like the Dura Ace BR7800 brakeset or Zero Gravity), but after changing out the stock Cane Creek pads with KoolStops per advice from the forums, they work wonderfully ... night and day difference! Going DA calipers may shave off 10-20gr at most, but I don't think it is worth the upgrade and probably not that much better in terms of stopping power.

I maybe suspecting that the frame is a bit heavier than what was advertised. I don't care though. The frame is very nice and an extra pound isn't going to kill me. Besides ... it is all about the rider, right?
Old 01-14-08, 09:16 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I weighed my bike after I did some swapping out. I had some heavy winter wheels on so I put on the DV46Cs, shod with normal tubes and tires (Krylions). Removed the blinkie since I last weighed the bike with that.

The bike is a SystemSix SRM Record, mainly stock. I have the steel axle Look Carbons. Alien post, Ti Alliante, 3ttt aluminum bars, Ritchey Road stem (not WCS), a steel cassette. The bike seemed light but my Christmas present digital scale said ~16.5 lbs. So it's about 675 grams heavier than 15 lbs. Without changing a lot of parts it'll be hard to pare down the weight more than a couple hundred grams (cassette, tubes, stem, maybe seat, all of which I have).

Anyway I don't think I'll be posting a regularly ridden sub 15 pound bike for a while. Even with my race wheels (DV46T, ti cassette) it's still over 15 lbs.

cdr
Old 01-14-08, 09:31 AM
prendrefeu
How much does it weigh?

Bikes: Lotus Fixed, Bianchi Virata 2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Juanmoretime

Nice ride!

How are you liking that pedal system? What does the cleat look like?
Old 01-14-08, 10:18 AM
chzman
Mad Scientist

Bikes: Dean TI fixie... Viner ProComp... NEXT pink sparkely!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if it is an obvious sub-15 or not... but it does have 7k miles on it in its 2 years of existance.

The chain alone clocks in at almost 500 grams.

Old 01-14-08, 10:30 AM
Sirrobinofcoxly
Have bike. Will travel.

Bikes: '06 Orbea Orca, '03 Rocky Mountain Vertex 70, '05 Surly Steamroller, '06 Fetish Fixation

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful track bike. What frame is that?
Old 01-14-08, 10:32 AM
jrennie
Race to train

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
cheater.
Old 01-14-08, 10:34 AM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chzman
I don't know if it is an obvious sub-15 or not... but it does have 7k miles on it in its 2 years of existance.

The chain alone clocks in at almost 500 grams.

I love that bike. Saved the pic when I saw it somewhere else. Track bike with TWO bottle mounts...gotta love it. Nice Izumi chain too.
Old 01-14-08, 10:46 AM
chzman
Mad Scientist

Bikes: Dean TI fixie... Viner ProComp... NEXT pink sparkely!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirrobinofcoxly
Beautiful track bike. What frame is that?
It is a custom titanium frame that Dean (in Colorado) put together for me a couple years ago... I think it weighs awfully close to 15lbs as is, in the picture with both bottles full of H2O.

It has never been on a track, and I can keep up with the free-wheel boys pretty good. So is it cheating? Maybe. But it is built with solid and strong components.
Old 01-14-08, 11:20 AM
mpd224

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ReedZ
6.1 kg (as pictured with pedals and cages). It's my daily ride for almost 2 years. I've even ridden with Pcad. That has to prove it's real, right!?

btw, 53 cm frame.
That right there is my dream bike. I'm jealous, especially with it weighing under 13.5 lbs.
Old 01-14-08, 11:22 AM
jeffremer

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Etape 105/Tiagra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chzman
It is a custom titanium frame that Dean (in Colorado) put together for me a couple years ago... I think it weighs awfully close to 15lbs as is, in the picture with both bottles full of H2O.

It has never been on a track, and I can keep up with the free-wheel boys pretty good. So is it cheating? Maybe. But it is built with solid and strong components.
That's a hot bike. I'd berate you for not putting on a velodrome, but I guess the closest track to you is a few hours away. Our team's shop is having a custom Litespeed track bike ordered for a customer, basically a Ghishallo with track ends. I'm not sure what the rest of the build is but it's going to come in at over $8,000.
Old 01-26-08, 10:22 PM
UT_Dude
Texas Fight!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since my previous entry got nixed, here's entry number 2. I'm not gonna weigh it, mostly because I don't really care. I threw everything into a spreadsheet, though, and even using rather liberal weights came in way under 15.

'08 CR1 SL Frame/Fork (size 52)
Ritchey WCS Cockpit
SRAM Red everywhere except the crank/front D which is DA. Cassette is also Red.
Ksyrium SL wheels, just to make sure it qualifies for this thread....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.