Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

damaged rear canti lever brake cable stop

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-15, 01:46 AM
jambon

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all ,

Please forgive the bad picture quality .

I have just noticed that a second hand bike I picked up has its rear brake cable stop damaged . For now it seems ok . There is just enough of the cable stop left to keep the cable held in place .

However for peace of mind I'd like to get it taken care of .

Would this be something that could easily be fixed by a frame builder /welder ? The frame is some type of chromoly steel .

Also switching to V brakes has crossed my mind . I f I were to switch out the cantis for V brakes then this damaged cable stop wouldn't be used anyway ?

Thanks if you have some advice ,

J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WIN_20150713_083803.jpg (95.5 KB, 44 views)
WIN_20150713_083750.jpg (73.6 KB, 40 views)
WIN_20150713_083736.jpg (83.7 KB, 43 views)
Old 07-13-15, 04:55 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by jambon
Also switching to V brakes has crossed my mind . I f I were to switch out the cantis for V brakes then this damaged cable stop wouldn't be used anyway ?
J
You will need V-brake-compatible levers if you decide to do this.

There are cable stops available which mount to the seat post binder bolt: Surly Stainless Steel Cable Hanger - Parts - Brakes & Parts - Components or this: Amazon.com: Nashbar Rear Brake Cable Hanger or these: Nitto Rear Brake Hangers / Key Fob which you could use instead

You could also drill and tap a small hole for a set screw to clamp the cable ferrule in place or to act as a stop.
Old 07-13-15, 11:18 AM
Bezalel

Bikes: Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure it's worth it to repair the frame, it doesn't look particularly valuable. There are a few cable hangers that mount to the seatpost binder bolt but the existing hanger might be in the way, the hanger can be removed but I'd leave the bridge in place. There's also the possibility of changing to v-brakes. This is not always straightforward because post spacing and the spring hole locations have changed over the years.
Old 07-13-15, 11:33 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,420 Posts
I can't tell, but it looks OK. Split stops were common BITD to allow the housing to be pulled up and the cable disconnected in a way comparable to how V-brake QRs work. If the ferrule is well pocketed so it can't go anywhere, you're fine and I wouldn't sweat it until I had a reason to.

If the stop is bent open (possibly because an oversized ferrule was pushed in, you might be able to tap it back to shape with a light hammer. if you feel comfortable doing so.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-13-15, 02:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You can get a seat post clamp bolt hung cable housing stop to take over it's function..
Old 07-13-15, 04:57 PM
cycle_maven
Collector of Useless Info

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's fairly easy for a frame builder to fix. Just grind off the broken one and silver-solder on a new one. But you'll end up spending a C-note to get somebody to do it for you, if you can find a local guy.
That's why I got myself a nice hot torch and some brazing bits and a internet connection to Nova Supply... that fix would cost me about two bucks worth of cable stop, silver, flux and gas. But it would take me an hour.
Old 07-13-15, 05:10 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
My approach would be to tie (actually "whip" the ferrule in place like old time sailors used to) with waxed nylon or polyester twine. It would take me most of that hour spent brazing, mostly because I would probably have to do it twice to figure out how to do it best, cleanest, neatest. Pain would not be damaged, so that is a blessing in both time and cost. All the tie has to do is keep the ferrule in place and it is completely visible so nothing unseen is going to happen down the road.

Ben
Old 07-14-15, 12:24 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Its not a hard job for someone used to fabricating, but of course it wont be cheap. If its a bike you like it could be worth the price of a good repair.

-SP