Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Safety Flag can it be done?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-19, 01:47 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts

I suddenly have this strange idea that I want a safety flag on one of my bikes. You know those goofy looking tall orange pennant flags? Well they all seem to be made to bolt on with the hub meaning you need a bolt on wheel or have to fiddle with it and the QR. The bike in question doesn't have a rack. I wouldn't be opposed to it but like it how it is currently set up.

So do any of you have one? How did you do it? Anyone ever use this Catrike thing?

https://www.electricspokes.com/produ...xoCkSgQAvD_BwE

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-24-19, 01:56 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I don't think we still have a Fred forum around here!

All kidding aside, did you look at the children's' bike accessories at some LBSs? Or maybe Walmart? Like reflector sets, I'd think they are on the shelf at neighborhood bike shops that cater to family riding.

As far as mounting to a frame without provisions, I'd think in terms of fabricating a mounting plate that can mount "softly" around the seatstay at two points and the chainstay at one point, and which clamps to the whippy flagpole at two points. Made perhaps of 1/8" plywood or .030 aluminum K&S hobby shop material. Braze-ons of course are a possibility .... Oh, sorry, I'm supposed to be serious!

Seriously, BG, I think I'd build a mounting plate and plan for tie-wrap attachments to the frame and possibly to the flagpole as well. It's probably best to arrange some kind of release/reattach provision for the stick.

Last edited by Road Fan; 03-24-19 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-24-19, 02:58 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 83 Posts
https://t-cycle.com/collections/all-purple-sky-products/products/tcycle-flag-mount
Old 03-24-19, 04:04 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

This is interesting I like it better than that thing that just screws into a rack eyelet.
https://t-cycle.com/collections/all-...cle-flag-mount

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-24-19, 04:05 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
https://t-cycle.com/collections/all-purple-sky-products/products/tcycle-flag-mount
The bike touring company I used to work for zip-tied an eight-inch piece of aluminum tubing--maybe 1/4" ID--to the stays of the rear rack (they used Pletscher racks, although the brand shouldn't matter) and inserted the "flagpole" into the tubing. The tubing was flattened at the bottom to keep the flagpole from falling through., ad fastened to one of the dropout eyelets with a screw.. Quick, cheap, and easy to install.

Of course, that won't work without a rack

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 03-24-19, 04:18 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Somebody here had a 1970s flag- but it flipped out to the side like a school bus stop sign.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 03-24-19, 05:44 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
1974 called. It wants its idea back.

Those things just got in the way, made it harder to mount / dismount, and probably poked more than one eye out. The orange was not the hi-viz orange you see today, and I'll bet you'd be hard-pressed to find one with true safety orange, since I doubt they've been updated as a product. I also reckon they're not on the "mental radar" of today's car drivers, as they were 40+ years ago. You mentioned a Catrike mount; what I _have_ seen in more recent years is a similar fiberglass or flexible pole, albeit shorter, with an LED on top. Just saw someone with one of those on a tadpole yesterday. More attention-getting than a flag, will mentally register better with today's drivers than a flag, and in the case of a tadpole, doesn't interfere with mounting/dismounting.
Old 03-24-19, 05:49 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
1974 called. It wants its idea back.
Ha ha. Aren't they a standard bit of kit for recumbent riders though?
Old 03-24-19, 06:23 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Lots of colors available today:

(Traumvelo.de)

They suggest different sizes for different speeds.
  • Size L: 15-20 km/h
  • Size M: 20-25 km/h
  • Size S: 25-30 km/h
They even make a flagpole light for dynohub/electric bikes using a B+M light.

One of the connection methods is this thing.

Last edited by JaccoW; 03-24-19 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-24-19, 06:30 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 83 Posts
The Catrike mount doesn't work on every bike. If the eyelet isn't in the right place relative to the axle, the flag ends up too upright or too laid back.

I have one. I tried using it on my ICE trike, but it wasn't ideal. Sitting in a parts bin now.
Old 03-24-19, 07:49 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4679 Post(s)
Liked 5,797 Times in 2,282 Posts
Just wear something bright. If someone can't see you in one of those nuclear yellow jackets, a small flag won't make a difference. If it's warm out, a vest. If it's hot, a nuclear yellow jersey.

If you're anxious about being seen.

Recumbents use them since they're low to the ground, below where motorists eye scan.
Old 03-24-19, 08:39 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 705 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
This is interesting I like it better than that thing that just screws into a rack eyelet.
https://t-cycle.com/collections/all-...cle-flag-mount
Terracycle makes all sorts of widgetry for the recumbent market. I've known them for 20+ years- they are quality people.

Although I agree with Gugie- if you want to be seen, wear big blocks of bright colors.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 03-24-19, 09:29 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,481 Times in 3,206 Posts
Rainbow Wig $4.59 No Special Mounts Needed
Old 03-24-19, 09:39 PM
jamesj

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser, 1987 Specialized Street Stomper, 1980 Trek 412, 1979 Raleigh Sport,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 25 Posts
I use this, It's fun.

https://www.safetypizza.com
Old 03-24-19, 10:24 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Includes free WIN button.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 03-24-19, 10:28 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
I use my motorcycle vest when I'm worried about being seen, it's got a ton of pockets!
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...vest?rrec=true

Old 04-28-19, 12:16 AM
2toneblue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RE: safety flag

This brought back a childhood memory, I had one of those flags. Think the end was a flat metal plate with a hole in it to mount to the rear axle. My Dad never would install it for me and it sat in a corner of the house for probably 20 years, have no idea where it ended up.
Old 04-28-19, 11:09 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
+1 Drivers will think you're deranged and stay farther away. Also may function as a disguise thus reducing embarrassment (if that's an issue) though it will require changing in a phone booth... um, I think there's a slight problem here.

I always liked the theory behind the sideways flags that many rental bikes used to have on Cape Cod, since some drivers think that 8 inches is plenty of leeway for cyclists. The problem is that some of those same motorists hate being told what to do, and took them as a personal challenge.

I use those little LED bullets set to flash, and now leave the red rear one on all the time. As a motorist they catch my eye pretty well, and I hope they will do the same when I'm the one on the bike.
Likes For Last ride 76:
Old 04-28-19, 12:28 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
I think there's a rule that if you use one of those flags, you have to pair it with one of those old, white, turtle-shell-shaped Bell helmets.

Old 04-28-19, 12:57 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
For all their inconveniences, I had great results from those horizontal flags. Motorists gave me plenty of room over a few 1000 miles on suburban streets. I found one a few years ago, but the mount was flimsy and the flag itself was not secured to the mast(?), so it fell off on my 3rd ride. I think it's now sold as the 'M-Wave.'

You might be interested in this: https://takeyourlane.com. It looks excessive to me, though.
Old 04-28-19, 04:14 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Steamer
The Catrike mount doesn't work on every bike. If the eyelet isn't in the right place relative to the axle, the flag ends up too upright or too laid back.

I have one. I tried using it on my ICE trike, but it wasn't ideal. Sitting in a parts bin now.
I was wondering about that. It also seems it might be hard to use with fenders and or rack.

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Terracycle makes all sorts of widgetry for the recumbent market. I've known them for 20+ years- they are quality people.

Although I agree with Gugie- if you want to be seen, wear big blocks of bright colors.

I've looked at several of those fancy 'hi vis' jerseys but the sizing uh um leaves something to be desired.

Originally Posted by jamesj
I use this, It's fun.

https://www.safetypizza.com
Now I am hungry for pizza

Originally Posted by 2toneblue
This brought back a childhood memory, I had one of those flags. Think the end was a flat metal plate with a hole in it to mount to the rear axle. My Dad never would install it for me and it sat in a corner of the house for probably 20 years, have no idea where it ended up.
Oh sort of like my hopes and dreams..............

Originally Posted by philbob57
For all their inconveniences, I had great results from those horizontal flags. Motorists gave me plenty of room over a few 1000 miles on suburban streets. I found one a few years ago, but the mount was flimsy and the flag itself was not secured to the mast(?), so it fell off on my 3rd ride. I think it's now sold as the 'M-Wave.'

You might be interested in this: Take Your Lane. It looks excessive to me, though.
I don;'t know if I like those sideways flags.
--------------------------------------------------------------

I was hoping to be able ride a bit further afield this year and with little to no shoulder I was hoping the taller flag might make me more visible at a distance on the undulating back roads.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-28-19, 04:36 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Can't say I liked the flag. I definitely did like the way drivers protected their precious cars from touching it. I think riding mainly on Chicago's North shore may have something to do with the fact that no one aimed at it.
Old 04-28-19, 04:46 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Just get one of those neon safety vests, like the highway workers use. XXL probably covers you good, even with a few layers, and they're very breathable. 🙂
Concerning small or non-existent berms, just practice riding on the white line itself, that marks the berm. After awhile, anything to the right of it looks huge. 😁
I've ridden on a lot of narrow roads, some with crumbling berms, and some with heavy truck traffic, and as long as you stay on (or to the right of) the white line, you "should" be pretty safe. But being seen is still VERY important, obviously. 😉
Old 04-28-19, 04:58 PM
kylecycler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Tell me this isn't cool...

I mean, where were you (or where was I) then?!?!?!
Old 04-28-19, 05:44 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by kylecycler
Tell me this isn't cool...

I mean, where were you (or where was I) then?!?!?!
That picture is one of my absolutely favorite depictions of my cycling ideal. Love the cycling specific clothing of runners and shlumpy socks, plaid flannel shirt... National Geographic, right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.