Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Motobecane Mirage

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Motobecane Mirage

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-22, 01:32 PM
Mikaerusama

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Motobecane Mirage

Helped my friend clear out a building that was going to be demoed and he let me have this Motobecane Mirage bike. Wonder what year it is, and why the logo is so different than any of the other mirages I see online.

I know its super old because the tires say to "keep inflated at 50lbs" and they spell it tyre. lol

It has very little rust, and only 1 small part where where the paint was nicked and paint came off. The breaks and chain are still in perfect condition, gears,petals and crank hardly have any rust. The wheels however are bad- the spokes are are totally rusted as is the wheel frame, the grease is old and orange.. The tires are crumbling a bit when I took them off to change out the inner tube.

I am pretty rough on my bikes (in fact I think the one paint chip might have been my fault) and will not take care of this bike the way I am starting to think it deserves to be...

I am posting this into this forum and not the appraisal thread because I am looking for help deciding if I should ride it or sell it to someone who will preserve and appreciate it more than I know I would. I already bought new tires already but started debating riding it or not given it's amazing condition. It might have only been ridden once if it was at all and has been hung up on the the wall of the maintenance man's storage room for the last 18+ years.... So i am not sure if I should ride it, so any info about he bike and advise would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

I am under the 10 post limit to attach photos to this phone, but pictures of the bike are available in my photo gallery! at /g/album/24980360
Old 05-14-22, 03:37 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
-----

peechuz -

​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​

machine appears close to nineteen and seventy-four

-----
Old 05-14-22, 03:51 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Welcome. I see what looks like a dent in the seat tube in the third photo (unless the light/reflection is making it look dented) and a loose cotter pin in the second pic. It will need a full overhaul after sitting so long.

It might be fairly clean, but there isn't as much demand for cosmetically clean low-end road bikes from the 70's as you might think unless someone is trying to capture a childhood memory. If you want to work on the cotter and do a full overhaul, that's what this bike deserves if it's to be ridden. If you don't, time to move it on.

I had one of these in blue, which I converted (back in the late 70's/early 80's) to barcons and an SR triple crank, into a 15-speed cheap tourer. Did my first century on that bike, so yeah, I'm familiar with them. That bike got sold and would up coming back into my life two decades later, and when I hopped on, recognized that old familiar ride quality. For 1020 frames, these are surprisingly nice rides, but they don't bring as much these days simply because the rest of the world has moved on.
Old 05-14-22, 04:13 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
The market around me is dead this year, but asking prices are still very high. The cottered cranks can be annoying, in addition to adding alot of extra weight. The paint looks pretty good. Somebody else may want it because it's easier to transfer their wheels to it than repaint their own frame. Around me it might fetch $25, but may take time to sell. The Reynolds 531 Moto frames are the ones in demand. If the frame is a good fit for you, put some alloy 27" wheels on it and ride it.
Old 05-14-22, 06:27 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
I think I've ridden most of the low end Motobecanes and they all ride great. Put a nut on that bolt down by the crank thing and tighten it up. Put your tires on it and a little oil on everything that moves and ride it. You won't hurt anything and you won't decrease its limited value. If it starts making any noises, try to find out the source and address then as they make themselves known. Welcome to the club and those are nice pictures.
Old 05-15-22, 06:18 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 1,580 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by classtime
i think i've ridden most of the low end motobecanes and they all ride great....welcome to the club
+1
Old 05-15-22, 07:18 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
In 1973 I received an identical, brand new Motobecane Mirage for my birthday. Simplex derailleurs, stem shifters, chrome steel rims. Gold painted logos on down tube with “Made in France” below.