Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Where can one buy knockoff Chinese speedplay x-series cleats?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-22, 11:53 AM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts

I've read that they exist, but I can't seem to figure out where they are sold. X-series cleats are no longer sold by Wahoo/Speedplay, and they are enormously expensive on the secondary market. I need to buy knockoffs, or throw my speedplays in the trash. (Thanks a lot Wahoo).
Old 05-22-22, 12:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
No, just no. Buying knockoffs is always a bad idea. If you cannot find proper cleats it might be time to get something different sadly.
Old 05-22-22, 01:02 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
No, just no. Buying knockoffs is always a bad idea. If you cannot find proper cleats it might be time to get something different sadly.
The issue is that the manufacturer changed ownership and decided to stop selling them.
The limited remaining NOS parts available in the second hand market are priced in a way that you might as well just buy new pedals.

Given their cost vs complexity, aftermarket Speedplay compatible parts are nothing new.

I don’t use OEM cables, housing, tubes, bar tape, or handle bars on the occasion that I replace them. People often also swap brands of brake pads and bottom brackets. While I understand this is slightly different, it isn’t that different. I see it more akin to buying a Microshift or SRAM part for an item Shimano has chosen to discontinue. I’m not going to replace my entire drivetrain because I can’t buy 9sp Ultegra cassettes at my LBS.

Ebay used to be full of what the OP seeks.

Last edited by jccaclimber; 05-22-22 at 01:12 PM.
Likes For jccaclimber:
Old 05-22-22, 01:21 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
I've been trying to find them as well. You can find cheap knockoffs on Ebay, etc., that claim to fit X series but they are clearly made only for the Zero's and some reviews confirm this. I'm surprised that no-one is making them yet for the X's and maybe Wahoo has brought out the lawyer brigade to stop them but just guessing. I wrote Wahoo asking them to offer the X cleats and also the Frog pedals but they don't appear to be interested and really have no obligation to offer them. Just wish they would. Everyone write them a polite letter and maybe they'll change their minds. Love the folks trying to sell some NOS X Cleats for $200+ on the web. You can still get some of the old style Zero pedals (new) for $150 Speedplay Zero Stainless Pedals + Walkable Cleats (competitivecyclist.com) and the new Wahoo cleats will fit them as well.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 05-22-22 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-22-22, 02:05 PM
Radish_legs

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I've been trying to find them as well. You can find cheap knockoffs on Ebay, etc., that claim to fit X series but they are clearly made only for the Zero's and some reviews confirm this. I'm surprised that no-one is making them yet for the X's and maybe Wahoo has brought out the lawyer brigade to stop them but just guessing. I wrote Wahoo asking them to offer the X cleats and also the Frog pedals but they don't appear to be interested and really have no obligation to offer them. Just wish they would. Everyone write them a polite letter and maybe they'll change their minds. Love the folks trying to sell some NOS X Cleats for $200+ on the web. You can still get some of the old style Zero pedals (new) for $150 Speedplay Zero Stainless Pedals + Walkable Cleats (competitivecyclist.com) and the new Wahoo cleats will fit them as well.
I'm going to comment on all their social media. Forget nicely worded letter, that gets us nowhere.
Old 05-22-22, 02:06 PM
Radish_legs

What is sad is a company buying Speedplay and choosing not to support Speedplay's userbase and products. That's what is sad.
Old 05-22-22, 02:09 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Where I have no specific knowledge of said, the keywords "Chinese" and "Knockoff" typically cause the Jungle Site to automatically open in another browser tab...
Old 05-22-22, 03:35 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I wonder how good X-series and Frog sales were prior to the Wahoo take-over. Companies typically don't abandon products with good sales so maybe they weren't as popular and profitable you might wish. Speedplay was apparently in financial difficulties when Wahoo came along, having a couple of still-born model pedals that never saw real production. Syzr pedals anyone?

I was a long-time Frog user going all the way back to their predecessor "Magnum" models. But, the cost and limited distribution finally convinced me to switch to Shimano SPDs. I must not have been the only one.

Last edited by HillRider; 05-22-22 at 08:55 PM.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 05-22-22, 04:43 PM
Crankycrank

^^^ Yeah, I got the impression the X pedals were not selling really well when most were buying the Zero's when Speedplay sold out to Wahoo. Same with the Frog's. I was just getting ready to buy some Frogs when they were discontinued. Personally the X's were all I needed, no adjustable float necessary. No-one else sells road and MTB/Touring pedals with the total free float that the Speedplays had, and what I need. Bummer.
Old 05-22-22, 05:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by jccaclimber
The issue is that the manufacturer changed ownership and decided to stop selling them.
The limited remaining NOS parts available in the second hand market are priced in a way that you might as well just buy new pedals.

Given their cost vs complexity, aftermarket Speedplay compatible parts are nothing new.

I don’t use OEM cables, housing, tubes, bar tape, or handle bars on the occasion that I replace them. People often also swap brands of brake pads and bottom brackets. While I understand this is slightly different, it isn’t that different. I see it more akin to buying a Microshift or SRAM part for an item Shimano has chosen to discontinue. I’m not going to replace my entire drivetrain because I can’t buy 9sp Ultegra cassettes at my LBS.

Ebay used to be full of what the OP seeks.
You missed what was posted and you missed what I wrote I think. Swapping to different stuff is fine but the title was explicit knockoff Chinese cleats not is there another brand of cleats or something.

Originally Posted by Radish_legs
What is sad is a company buying Speedplay and choosing not to support Speedplay's userbase and products. That's what is sad.
That does also suck but explicitly looking for cheap knockoffs is not a good thing at all and quite sad. If you had said it differently it would be more sensible. Like "hey Speedplay got bought out and my cleats are discontinued is there a good aftermarket cleat source or should I start looking for new pedals. I contacted the company and they said cleats are no more."
Old 05-22-22, 06:03 PM
jccaclimber

I agree that the OPs phrasing leaves something to be desired. In this case, AFAIK, the only options are probably East Asian in origin, and they probably aren’t working off of the original engineering drawings.
If I was aware of a more reputable brand I would have brought it up. Speedplay historically opted to go for exclusivity rather than licensing and making standards, and was fairly proactive with IP defense.
The product in question is old enough that any patent on the original design is expired, so it’s not an IP violation AFAIK.

As a side note, while I am a Speedplay user myself, and am generally in favor of IP protection, especially for small businesses and inventors, some of the later things Speedplay obtained a patent on would have a difficult time holding up.

Last edited by jccaclimber; 05-22-22 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-22-22, 06:09 PM
Radish_legs

You missed what was posted and you missed what I wrote I think. Swapping to different stuff is fine but the title was explicit knockoff Chinese cleats not is there another brand of cleats or something.

That does also suck but explicitly looking for cheap knockoffs is not a good thing at all and quite sad. If you had said it differently it would be more sensible. Like "hey Speedplay got bought out and my cleats are discontinued is there a good aftermarket cleat source or should I start looking for new pedals. I contacted the company and they said cleats are no more."
I'll try to keep your feelings in mind next time. Thanks for sharing your emotions. What else do you have planned for this evening besides critiquing my request for information?
Old 05-22-22, 09:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I'll try to keep your feelings in mind next time. Thanks for sharing your emotions. What else do you have planned for this evening besides critiquing my request for information?

You specifically asked for knockoffs, you didn't like my answer well you asked a question in a poor way. Sorry you got hurt.

But hey I am a nice person so here you go:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/25554062328...IAAOSwQclihDKK
Also some cleat covers to keep them protected so they last longer as I have heard of people getting many many thousands of miles on their cleats:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/28480934749...4AAOSwXu1ieW9L
Or if you want a removable option (we sold Kool Covers, I don't use double Ks, for years and probably still have a pair or two somewhere in the shop)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12510665559...kAAOSwnc1h5uRE

From some other stuff I read people have had 5-11 years on the same Speedplay x-cleats so that 175 over lets just say 5 years is like $35 a year which is about the same price as an SPD-SL or probably similar Look Keo cleats not so bad. Would rather have the original article in this case or licensed copy or just buy different pedals, it looks like Wahoo is still making cleats for the zero style pedals as well as pedals and even power meter pedals, seems like an easy choice if you need to switch!
Old 05-23-22, 11:48 AM
Radish_legs

I'm riding >6000 miles per year. I know from experience that a set of cleats will not last for 5 years. Failure point is the metal spring/clip breaking after wear. Paying $175 for cleats is not going to be an option for me.
Old 05-23-22, 01:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I'm riding >6000 miles per year. I know from experience that a set of cleats will not last for 5 years. Failure point is the metal spring/clip breaking after wear. Paying $175 for cleats is not going to be an option for me.
People have suggested making sure the cleat is covered to prevent the damage to the clip. However if you are putting that many miles per year which is awesome it might be time to look at the new ones (which understandably are not new).
Old 05-24-22, 09:15 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
personally I would be hesitant to use a knock off cleat for this application, if the cleat/pedal interface does not work then release is likely to be impacted, which could end up hurting

as I recall speedplay had all sorts of lubrication requirements both pedal and cleat (was long time ago....did not like speedplay pedals so not lots of experience, but som)

the only safe solution is a new pedal system

Old 05-24-22, 09:40 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You're kidding, right?
Old 05-24-22, 10:04 AM
Radish_legs

I want to know if there is a 3rd party option for these pedals. It's impacting a lot of people. In terms of the knock-off zero cleats, I've seen a couple of people say they worked just as well or better.

I know that I would need to be careful, and test them. I just want to know if they exist.

I believe I do one have spare set. But I might be before off selling those new cleats rather than using them, at this point. These pedals are now worthless.
Old 05-24-22, 06:26 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
R_l- Ther are many of us, but likely not enough, to profit from the effort to produce a replica/aftermarket replacement. I figure I have about 5+ years of X cleats stashed away. Too bad I walk off the bike a bunch...

I will be the contrarian and ask what is the difference between a "cheap knock off" and an after the manufacturer quite the replacement market part? Sadly in this case I suspect it has something to do with country of origin. If this was a part made in the US for a Harley or a Ford I don't think we'd see some of the dismissive replies. I would consider checking out a X cleat not made by either the former or current Speedplay. But i can track stand at ease and know how to stick out my hips to roll and not impact when i fall to the side. Andy
Old 05-25-22, 01:58 AM
jccaclimber

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
R_l- Ther are many of us, but likely not enough, to profit from the effort to produce a replica/aftermarket replacement. I figure I have about 5+ years of X cleats stashed away. Too bad I walk off the bike a bunch...

I will be the contrarian and ask what is the difference between a "cheap knock off" and an after the manufacturer quite the replacement market part? Sadly in this case I suspect it has something to do with country of origin. If this was a part made in the US for a Harley or a Ford I don't think we'd see some of the dismissive replies. I would consider checking out a X cleat not made by either the former or current Speedplay. But i can track stand at ease and know how to stick out my hips to roll and not impact when i fall to the side. Andy
Amusing side note that speaks to peoples biases/expectations. At some point I was touring a factory for work and one of the components being made in that plant was a critical Harley engine component….at a factory in Germany, by a company that has a large US manufacturing base as well.
Old 05-25-22, 11:44 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart

IME over the years, knock offs can vary wildly in quality, some quite usable like the replacement band on my garmin watch to others that don't work at all

again IME, more often than not the level of quality and fit of a knockoff, unauthorized reproduction is not the same as OEM replacement, as they are a) reverse engineered and b) don't need to meet manufacturer requirements for materials and build tolerances.

Country of origin is a factor, not from any ethnic issues, but from tolerance for non ethical business practices like ignoring IP and patent rights

that said i do see fit and finish differences between a shimano mega range freewheel made in china and those older ones made in malaysia (china noticeably worse), but not sure if that impacts the function

Old 05-25-22, 07:30 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
I purposely tried to avoid any social or political reference in my earlier reply. Of course they can and do impact our decision making. Sometimes from well meaning motivations and sometimes from ignorance or bigoted views. None of this speaks to how the part performs. Andy
Old 03-16-24, 03:05 PM
Radish_legs

Bump: it's now almost 2 years later. Do we have a reliable working replacement generic cleat that will work with speedplay x-2s? I see some generic Chinese stuff on Amazon that claims to be compatible with X-series. But not clear to me from the comments that that is actually true. Nor that they are good or quality.
Old 03-16-24, 04:49 PM
Crankycrank

After seeing your new bump post I tried my best search trickery hoping to find someplace that decided to make some replacements and still no luck. All the generic cleats on Amazon will not work, maybe for the Zero cleats but not for the X's. There are a couple internet businesses you can find in a basic search that look to have identical copies but they turn out to be very suspicious sellers. I have also checked out some of the titanium replacement bowtie's and spindles and for most of these they turn out to be poorly machined and ill fitting. I think when my last pair of cleats wear out I'll just buy the Wahoo version and at least I'll have a reliable supply of cleats still available and at only half-crazy prices. If the X spring wire breaks, as it always does before the rest of the cleat wears out, I may take a shot at making my own wire springs or you could try this. Next Cleat | Next Cleat

Last edited by Crankycrank; 03-16-24 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-16-24, 05:42 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 194 Posts
I won't be able to make myself buy pedals from Wahoo when all of my X cleats wear out. But I am a cranky old man who bears a grudge. I already am using SPD pedals and shoes that I can walk around in on at least half of rides..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.