Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Turbo vs. Concor vs. Rolls

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-12-06, 01:10 AM
gman3215

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wanted a cool retro looking saddle for my Schwinn and wanted everyone’s opinion. How does the Rolls or Concor measure up to the Turbo? I noticed Nashbar with some cool saddles and their going fast. I like the Concor in perforated white. It kind of turns me on. What do you think?
Old 01-12-06, 04:24 PM
peripatetic

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"I like the Concor in perforated white. It kind of turns me on. What do you think?"

You meant to put it that way, right?

Perforation never really turned me on, but to each his own.
Old 01-12-06, 04:33 PM
Everest

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 03 Gary Fisher Tassjara, Quattro Assi Scandium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two concors and two turbos and like them alot. I have yet to try a rolls but imagine it would be about the same. The turbos have a little more padding than concors but both are very comfy. Just a word of warning about perforated saddles, they do have a reputation for eating pants.
Old 01-12-06, 05:17 PM
roadrasher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I've got or had in the past all 3 saddles you mentioned, of the 3 I prefer the Rolls,a nice classic saddle that's not to soft or hard and wears in very nicely. I didn't like the concors so much, I found the upturned tail to be quite uncomfortable and no amount of adjusting could make it right,I've got a pal who swears by them though... each to their own. I have an old turbo on my commuter, it has about a million miles on it, very comfy and sturdy, though perhaps if your "weight conscious" not the best of the 3.

really I don't think you can go wrong with any of these saddles.

Clear as mud eh!

'Rasher
Old 01-12-06, 05:35 PM
gman3215

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm leaning toward the Rolls I look the look of the Concor but I also talked to a buddy and he said the perforation will shred your shorts after a while. The Rolls is black and I wanted to put it on an orange Schwinn with blue cable and bar tape. I did the paint job myself so I don't have a lot invested
Old 01-12-06, 06:21 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The Rolls was made in several colors, including, I think, blue. And in recent years one has been able to buy a Rolls with titanium rails - you see these things come up on ebay every now and again. I have some of each and don't have trouble switching back and forth - but then again my wife calls me numb-butt sometimes.
Old 01-12-06, 09:39 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts
I haven't used the other two, but I love the Rolls. I have titanium-railed Rollses (is that a word?) on all my bikes, and they have always been comfy. (All are smooth black.) I also happen to think they look cool as heck.
Old 01-12-06, 10:21 PM
gman3215

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted a blue, but haven't had much luck on ebay. I found this at Nashbar. It's kinda sexy.

Last edited by gman3215; 01-28-08 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-12-06, 11:12 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Have used all 3. I found the concors to be too narrow for me - that was back in the early 80's with a much younger me. Tried real hard to make it work for me, long enough to really casue some temporary nerve damage that too me off the bike for almost 2 mos back then.
I like the Rolls a bunch, more support for me and great all-day saddle, and they wear well. Always a solid choice - I have a couple new ones I might use when my Colnago master becomes a garage queen.
Turbos - not sure what it is, but they fit me purr-fect. Enough to make it my #1 saddle choice of all time. I'm on my 4th turbo and have one on order from Nashbar. downside is their leather doesn;t seem to wear as well as the stuff on San Marco saddles. But, man, the turbo is an awesome seat. Seems to allow a bit more leg freedom compared to the Rolls. Also started using 'saddlesoap' on my last turbo and then trating with 'SnoSeal' a silicone based leather treatment. Has given me now 2 more years on the last turbo, as compared to the age of the prior ones.
I do perspire a lot, I mean A TON (or a BARREL FULL). After a long, hard ride, a leather saddle ends up completly soaked with salty sweat - can't be good for any leather saddle.
Anyway, aside from a real Turbo, if I had to just pick a saddle off a rack and use it, I'd always pick a San Marco, 140 or wider. I'd have a 90% chance that it would be comfortable and a good rider. My 2nd best saddle, very close behind the Turbo, is a San Marco Strada TI - awesome, Barcolounger comfortable, but really hard to find these days.
Old 01-13-06, 08:41 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I prefer the san marco regal to the turbo or rolls or concor saddles.
Looks pretty good too
Marty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SMRegal.jpg (9.8 KB, 56 views)

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 01-13-06, 08:52 AM
1fluffhead

Bikes: Pake Track; Bianchi XL EV2 El Reparto Corse, Kona Jake the Snake

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is a ton of Concor on ebay right now. Blue, white, beige, brown, black. Found all of them by searching "Concor Saddle"
Old 01-26-06, 09:12 PM
gman3215

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I received my Rolls saddle today from Nashbar and I have to say I am pleased with my choice. The cool leather design and the gold accents add some serious bling to my ride. Now if I can only find gold spokes, white wall 700 tires and gold plated handlebars I could "pimp that ride".
Old 01-29-06, 02:31 AM
bellweatherman

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Even though it's not 1 of the 3 you mentioned, I'm gonna have to go with the Regal like the other guy posted. Nice saddle, very old skool cool also. After that, it's a tossup between the Turbo and the Rolls, both really nice saddles. I haven't tried the Concors, but with the upturned back end I've heard you either hate it with a passion or love it.
Old 01-29-06, 05:09 PM
lofter
winning magazine junkie

Bikes: top end gitanes and some funky ones too

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
got the concors and turbos.the concor seems harder and the turbo softer and better ride, just my opinion
Old 01-30-06, 03:38 AM
clipped
and riding...just riding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they're very nice, but stay away from the ones with aluminum rails, because at some point they break. mine was fine for a couple of years, but riding home fifteen miles with no seat in rush hour gave me the cure.
Old 01-30-06, 09:44 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
yeah, the aluminum ones are special purpose, like for your occasional bike. I've broken them before as well. Of course, if you weigh 135 lb wet, you'll probably get a lot of miles out of one. How's everyone in Belleville? I spent a couple of years there once (at the AFB)...