Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fork Thread tool- questions

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-07-10, 12:45 PM
cman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Our Bike Coop is thinking about a fork threading tool, but cost and longevity could be an issue.

- How long(times) does the die/cutter last?
- Should this tool be limited to shop mechanics only? or could the average member with good mechanic knowledge be allowed to use it too?

Definately a tool that would be handy.
Old 01-07-10, 12:55 PM
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The non-cycling world calls this tool a die, except that its a bit larger than the average.

The cutters on these are generally made out of high speed steel (HSS is what you see on the retail box). In all honesty it should last you several years, depending on usage of course. The resulting thread and life of the tool will be a lot better if you use a good lubricant, my favorite is called tap magic. Liberally apply this to your area.

Somebody with good mechanical knowledge can use this. You might try having people wanting to use it run a normal sized die over some cheap steel first to develop the "feel" for the tool, as this is paramount. It's crucial that the die start on the fork straight, that is, the face perpendicular to the tube. Eyeballing this is usually good enough. The other important aspect of proper use is feeling excess resistance. Being a larger cutting tool, you'll feel a lot of resistance by cutting here. However, you'll inevitably find places where it feels a little stiffer than others. This is usually because of chips being caught in the teeth, and is remedied by backing the tool out 1/4 of a turn. In fact, when I use these, I back the tool off a little after every full revolution.
Old 01-07-10, 01:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,447 Times in 1,428 Posts
On the one hand, I'd say don't let anyone but the shop mechanics use it, because some will botch the fork, and some will botch the die.

On the other hand, the whole point of a coop is to let people do their own work as much as possible. Some may know how to use it, and some may be mechanically inclined enough that they can learn easily enough. All of us learned at some point.

So I can't decide, but I do think it's a good tool to invest in.

Be sure to stock up on cutting oil, and use it liberally.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-07-10, 01:29 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I think in a Co-op shop the majority of use will be to chase existing threads or to extend already threaded forks. With both of these tasks, it is more difficult to ruin a fork than to start completely new threads. In our shop it would probably fall on the shop mech to do this work because of the cost of the tool.
Old 01-07-10, 02:04 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by cman
- Should this tool be limited to shop mechanics only? or could the average member with good mechanic knowledge be allowed to use it too?
That's a tool that's easy to bugger up. All it takes is one use on a chromed fork.
Old 01-07-10, 02:22 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
That's a tool that's easy to bugger up. All it takes is one use on a chromed fork.
Really?, a chromed fork will ruin a die? I have never used one on a chromed fork. Could you explain why the chromed fork is that much harder on the tool?

Thanks.
Old 01-07-10, 02:28 PM
helicomatic
nice idea, poor execution

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
... chrome ... is ... harder ...
We have a dedicated holder and die for chrome forks here, and the die needs replacement pretty often.
Old 01-07-10, 02:45 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
your are talking about a chromeplated for yes? the chromeplating is what dulls the die correct?

I do think the use use of the tool should be limited to regular mechanics or to those that show real aptitude. one person who does lube or use this right can ruin it.

having never been to a coop is ther somekind of 'kitty' that members put money into for shop supplies and tools?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-07-10, 04:31 PM
cman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the great info.

Bianchigirl, The one in Boise is only a few years old. Income comes from yearly membership fees, bike and part sales and grants. The income pays the rent, utilities, tools, some minor parts, etc.... There are a couple of paid positions too. Bikes are always free to kids and refugees.

boisebicycleproject.org
Old 01-07-10, 07:28 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Most bike shops won't try to thread a threadless steerer or start threads on a threaded steerer that was shortened below the original threads. They will, with care, extend existing threads but that's all. And yes, chrome plating will indeed dull a die very quickly.
Old 01-07-10, 07:44 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
Really?, a chromed fork will ruin a die? I have never used one on a chromed fork. Could you explain why the chromed fork is that much harder on the tool?
It doesn't "ruin" the die, but because the chrome is much harder than the steel, it dulls the die more quickly than would otherwise happen. Dies can be resharpened, but it is not cheap (usually cheaper than a new die, though) and each sharpening removes material from the die so ultimately dies have a finite lifespan measured in the number of sharpenings they can survive.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 01-07-10 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-07-10, 08:01 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Of course, you could always just remove the chrome with a wire wheel right?

jim
Old 01-07-10, 08:01 PM
brucewiley
deep stuff

Bikes: Road, Touring, Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not familiar with a dedicated fork threading tool but with a normal die it's all too easy to start the die cross threaded when chasing threads and make a mess of things. I vote for experienced use of that tool.

We're trying to get a coop like yours going here in Nampa! Boise is pretty inspiring.

Bruce
Old 01-08-10, 08:10 AM
fas2c
Rolling along

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never threaded forks but I have cut many threads for Schedule 40 and Schedule 80 pipe black iron as well as galvanized pipe . We used a manual ratcheting cutting head as well as motorized cutters. Once the dies go dull it will tear the metal instead of cut. The same if not enough lube is used, it will get hot and gall.
Old 01-08-10, 11:09 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by jgedwa
Of course, you could always just remove the chrome with a wire wheel right?

jim
Sure, you can try. But a wire wheel doesn't always work well to remove a good chrome job. You may have to rough it up first with a mill b@stard.
Old 01-08-10, 11:16 AM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by phantomcow2
The resulting thread and life of the tool will be a lot better if you use a good lubricant,
+1

Maybe tape a can of cutting fluid to the tool...

- Will Rogers