Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-16, 01:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by artclone
Are those the correct sized bearings? Bearing size will affect spindle and adjustable cup location.
In all likelihood they are. Larger balls simply won't fit, and smaller would let the spindle out farther. Sometimes using smaller balls than intended can work to advantage to push the spindle out, but usually they end up riding the edge of the spindle's bearing area which is unacceptable.

Another clue to correct or incorrect ball size is whee the cups it in the frame. Larger would widen the effective BB size, smaller would narrow it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 04-13-16 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-13-16, 01:46 PM
streets

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Looks to be a sporty version of the rod brake bike that was common for decades before becoming almost exclusively a bobby (police) bike.

I suspect that the top tube is horizontal and only looks sloped in the photo. The rims are the classic "Westwood" pattern that Raleigh produced for decades.
Yes those details of the bike I noted too. Nothing too extraordinary, apart from the aformentioned brake levers and handlebars. The bidding was rather fierce for it, ending at £255 which is well above a regular Sports model. I wonder if it's purely the brake lever/handlebar that has people interested. I was wondering how rare they are, I've personally never seen another like that.
Probably right about the top tube, and also the ad says 24" wheels where I suspect 26" is meant.
Old 04-13-16, 04:23 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
Very old, rare, excellent condition. Can't speak for the tyre size but it's an exceptional old bike
Old 04-13-16, 08:37 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Finally - The Sun Makes an Appearance!

It's been pretty gloomy around here lately. The only time the sun shines is when I am trapped in my cubicle at work. Until tonight, that is. I finally got the DL-1 out for a good, long ride tonight; and of course I took some photos. Enjoy...

I believe =The Roadster is ready for Pepin. But am I?
Old 04-13-16, 09:21 PM
artclone

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Suberbe, '92 (German) Centurion Equipe, '85 Schwinn Peloton, 1983ish Zunow Road Racer project, '69 Squanch Super Tourer, 1980 Bianchi Super Corsa, '82 Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, '89 Miyata 914 project, 1982ish Bianchi Rallye

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
It's been pretty gloomy around here lately. The only time the sun shines is when I am trapped in my cubicle at work. Until tonight, that is. I finally got the DL-1 out for a good, long ride tonight; and of course I took some photos. Enjoy...

I believe =The Roadster is ready for Pepin. But am I?
Beautiful bike and shots. I really like that headlight.
Old 04-13-16, 09:53 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
@DQRider, those are beautiful photos. I'm envious.
Old 04-13-16, 10:18 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Gorgeous bike and scenery.

Our forecast calls for 73 on Saturday and 83 on Sunday! I can't wait.
Old 04-13-16, 10:24 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
Okay, it's torn apart again. I tried to take pictures, VV, but I wasn't able to take anything meaningful. Here's what I found.

1. As assembled, the spindle rotated smoothly with no play.

2. The long end of the spindle was definitely on the drive side.

3. No evidence of any cross-threading or galling of the threads. Everything screwed in and unscrewed smoothly, and were clearly meant to be installed where I assembled them.

4. The lock ring definitely only screwed onto the drive-side cup, which is weird, since both cups had the correct threads for the sides they were on...that is, the direction they turned to tighten was the same direction the respective cranks turned during normal pedaling. The lock ring was definitely threaded to be on the drive-side cup...again, no evidence of cross-threading or galling, everything in good shape.

5. If not for the lock ring, the chromed adjustable cup would be fine for a fixed cup on the drive side, and the painted cup on the NDS could be adjustable. However, the painted cup is definitely originally assembled as the fixed cup on the non-drive side. It's not chromed and shiny, but is dull and dark grey, inside and out.

6. I only disassembled things, I didn't do a test assembly of the spindle turned around and see what the crank clearance was like on the NDS cup, to see if anything was different.

7. Before I disassembled, I tapped a cotter in on the drive-side crank. The end of the spindle was flush with the outer side of the crank, like it should be. However, again, it was bound tight against the cup. Given the galling on the inner surface of the crank, I can only assume this has been a long-term issue with this bike. I wish I'd paid more attention to the fit of everything before I disassembled it the first time...I just assumed the tightness and grumbliness was due to dry, gummed-up grease (though there was plenty of that).

I might take you up on that offer of the crank, @Velocivixen. Let me mess with it for another day or two to see if I can figure something out, but I can't imagine anything I could do differently that would make a difference.
Old 04-13-16, 11:27 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by arex
Okay, it's torn apart again. I tried to take pictures, VV, but I wasn't able to take anything meaningful. Here's what I found.

1. As assembled, the spindle rotated smoothly with no play.

2. The long end of the spindle was definitely on the drive side.

3. No evidence of any cross-threading or galling of the threads. Everything screwed in and unscrewed smoothly, and were clearly meant to be installed where I assembled them.

4. The lock ring definitely only screwed onto the drive-side cup, which is weird, since both cups had the correct threads for the sides they were on...that is, the direction they turned to tighten was the same direction the respective cranks turned during normal pedaling. The lock ring was definitely threaded to be on the drive-side cup...again, no evidence of cross-threading or galling, everything in good shape.

5. If not for the lock ring, the chromed adjustable cup would be fine for a fixed cup on the drive side, and the painted cup on the NDS could be adjustable. However, the painted cup is definitely originally assembled as the fixed cup on the non-drive side. It's not chromed and shiny, but is dull and dark grey, inside and out.

6. I only disassembled things, I didn't do a test assembly of the spindle turned around and see what the crank clearance was like on the NDS cup, to see if anything was different.

7. Before I disassembled, I tapped a cotter in on the drive-side crank. The end of the spindle was flush with the outer side of the crank, like it should be. However, again, it was bound tight against the cup. Given the galling on the inner surface of the crank, I can only assume this has been a long-term issue with this bike. I wish I'd paid more attention to the fit of everything before I disassembled it the first time...I just assumed the tightness and grumbliness was due to dry, gummed-up grease (though there was plenty of that).

I might take you up on that offer of the crank, @Velocivixen. Let me mess with it for another day or two to see if I can figure something out, but I can't imagine anything I could do differently that would make a difference.
The mystery is solved. It is a factory error. The fixed cup with the LH threads should be on the drive side. The spacing of the DS crank was designed for the fixed cup sitting flush with the BB. There is no room in the design for the adjustable cup and lock ring.
Old 04-14-16, 12:29 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
OK, this is very straightforward.

How far in the fixed cup goes is irrelevant since the issue is strictly between the spindle, crank (located by the cotter) and cup. Moving the cup deeper into the frame won't change anything.

You have a few options on how to correct.

1- if it'll accept them, try smaller balls on the right side, which will move the spindle out a bit. 3/16" is likely too small, but maybe 6mm (available on the internet) may work and will buy you about 0.20mm.

2- move the outboard shoulder on the spindle out a bit as I described earlier (scroll back a bit). (still my favorite)

3- if you feel you can spare it and still have enough for a wrench, thin the outer wall of the fixed cup a hair by holding it flat against a belt sander. Good for at least 0.5mm which should be all you need.

4- if the hub of the crank can spare it, pare it back 1mm or so via the belt sander, or a die grinder. This may buy you over 1mm, but really depends on the crank/chainring weld.

Since it all went together except for the rub, you should only need 1mm or less. Any of the ideas above should give you that except for the 6mm balls. But if you're not comfortable with taking the 1mm from any one part, you can use a mix of 2 or more methods each each contributing a hair to get you the clearance you need.

If it were mine, I'd combine thinning the cup wall with moving the cotter position, since these are the two easiest (if you have access to power tools)

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 04-14-16 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-14-16, 04:12 AM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by FBinNY
OK, this is very straightforward.

How far in the fixed cup goes is irrelevant since the issue is strictly between the spindle, crank (located by the cotter) and cup. Moving the cup deeper into the frame won't change anything.

You have a few options on how to correct.

1- if it'll accept them, try smaller balls on the right side, which will move the spindle out a bit. 3/16" is likely too small, but maybe 6mm (available on the internet) may work and will buy you about 0.20mm.

2- move the outboard shoulder on the spindle out a bit as I described earlier (scroll back a bit). (still my favorite)

3- if you feel you can spare it and still have enough for a wrench, thin the outer wall of the fixed cup a hair by holding it flat against a belt sander. Good for at least 0.5mm which should be all you need.

4- if the hub of the crank can spare it, pare it back 1mm or so via the belt sander, or a die grinder. This may buy you over 1mm, but really depends on the crank/chainring weld.

Since it all went together except for the rub, you should only need 1mm or less. Any of the ideas above should give you that except for the 6mm balls. But if you're not comfortable with taking the 1mm from any one part, you can use a mix of 2 or more methods each each contributing a hair to get you the clearance you need.

If it were mine, I'd combine thinning the cup wall with moving the cotter position, since these are the two easiest (if you have access to power tools)
The crank isn't fouling against the fixed cup. His is over on the NDS. That's the problem. So except for thinning the fixed cup, the other solutions should be enough to get the crank to clear the adjustable cup.
Old 04-14-16, 06:57 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Originally Posted by BigChief
The mystery is solved. It is a factory error. The fixed cup with the LH threads should be on the drive side. The spacing of the DS crank was designed for the fixed cup sitting flush with the BB. There is no room in the design for the adjustable cup and lock ring.
As bizarre as it seems, this is apparently the case here. The BB shell must have been threaded in reverse. I think your only option will be finding a spindle with an offset that will make it all work. Weird. Trying flipping the spindle for fun.

Your BB assembly will always want to come loose.
Old 04-14-16, 07:40 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by arex
@DQRider, those are beautiful photos. I'm envious.
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
Gorgeous bike and scenery.

Our forecast calls for 73 on Saturday and 83 on Sunday! I can't wait.
Originally Posted by artclone
Beautiful bike and shots. I really like that headlight.
Thank you! That's what happens when you spend half the year in the workshop. Yes, that headlight matches the character of the rest of the bike better than the later chrome bullet style.

Both of them are all but useless, of course. They do help others see me, but they don't provide any illumination at all. I wonder if people had better night vision back when we weren't staring at screens all day...

Last edited by DQRider; 04-14-16 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-14-16, 07:50 AM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by clubman
As bizarre as it seems, this is apparently the case here. The BB shell must have been threaded in reverse. I think your only option will be finding a spindle with an offset that will make it all work. Weird. Trying flipping the spindle for fun.

Your BB assembly will always want to come loose.
You know, that is counter-intuitive. You would think that since the crank is moving clockwise on the right side and counter-clockwise on the left, RH threads on the right and LH threads on the left would be the way to keep the BB from coming loose. Apparently not, because BBs are always threaded the other way around.
Old 04-14-16, 08:31 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Wow, this is a strange mystery. So as I understand it the cups are on opposite sides than usual, and the lock ring is mated to the cup that is now on the drive side. Interesting.

Last edited by Velocivixen; 04-14-16 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-14-16, 08:37 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

You know, that is counter-intuitive. You would think that since the crank is moving clockwise on the right side and counter-clockwise on the left, RH threads on the right and LH threads on the left would be the way to keep the BB from coming loose. Apparently not, because BBs are always threaded the other way around.
You know you are correct sir the English style of bottom bracket is counterintuitive in a normal situation
Old 04-14-16, 09:17 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
That's because the spindle does not bear directly on the cup, but rides on a ball bearing that reverses the direction of the precession.
Old 04-14-16, 01:34 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Raleigh Haskell - updated Raleigh 5 speed Sports with disc brakes:

Old 04-14-16, 01:45 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Discs, the new " bacon slicers".
Old 04-14-16, 04:26 PM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by NormanF
Raleigh Haskell - updated Raleigh 5 speed Sports with disc brakes:

Wow, what a beautiful chainring and crank!! I thought those days were long gone, but this is one of the nicest I've ever seen.
Who ever came up with that design did a brilliant job.
Old 04-14-16, 04:29 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,640 Times in 2,602 Posts
The chainring and crank is probably the only part I like. If it's an updated Sports, @NormanF, where are the fenders? And the leather saddle?
Old 04-14-16, 05:07 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
The chainring and crank is probably the only part I like. If it's an updated Sports, @NormanF, where are the fenders? And the leather saddle?
Aftermarket fenders should fit, probably with smaller 32-35 c tires and of course a Brooks B-67 would be the perfect replacement saddle.

I wouldn't change anything about it: the design is clean, simple and timeless.
Old 04-14-16, 05:32 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I previously mentioned a poor little ladies' Raleigh Sports that I found for a neighbor years ago and which she let rust in her yard. It's been in the garage for a year and my bride mentioned she'd like to have a handy bike to ride around the 'hood, so I fixed this up for her.

New tires, tubes and cables, lots of lube and a little cleaning. Subbed a nice Ideale saddle for the original plastic Brooks sprung saddle. Works fine.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cathy1.jpg (96.5 KB, 194 views)
Cathy1.JPG (60.5 KB, 271 views)
Cathy2.JPG (49.2 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by thumpism; 04-15-16 at 05:14 AM.
Old 04-14-16, 06:06 PM
artclone

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Suberbe, '92 (German) Centurion Equipe, '85 Schwinn Peloton, 1983ish Zunow Road Racer project, '69 Squanch Super Tourer, 1980 Bianchi Super Corsa, '82 Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, '89 Miyata 914 project, 1982ish Bianchi Rallye

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
1968 Raleigh Superbe

Here's the '68 Superbe I bought a couple months back after a wiping it with an oily rag and lubing all bearings and hubs. Paid $50 for the bike and put another $75 in tires, tubes, saddle, fender bolts, and a sweet grip shift set and cables from from @YoKev.

Notice it has no dynohub, lights, or pump brackets. Sheldon said Superbes only "usually" come with that hub and lights, so I imagine this is how it came from the shop. Which is not to say said shop didn't swap everything to upgrade a return customer's Sport. I've seen other '68 Superbes without pump brackets. There's no sign they were broken off, so I assume the pump brazeon guy was sick in 1968.

Also notice it has a vinyl Raleigh mattress saddle instead of a B72 and no rack or saddlebag. This is solely because you forum members haven't kicked down.

Fun to tool around the hood in, but boy to I need a larger sprocket. What's recommended?

Last edited by artclone; 04-14-16 at 06:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-14-16, 06:44 PM
1saxman

Bikes: Trek 930 (1992), Motobecane Hybrid w/juice brakes, spring fork and Shimano 8-spd hub.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Hey; back in the '80s I didn't have a road bike. The club was doing a 'Metric Century' from Jamestown to Yorktown VA and back, which is 100K. So I scrounged around and put together an 'English' bike with 3-speed Sturmey-Archer coaster brake hub. No fenders or chain guard. I put a front caliper brake on it too. Tell you what, I made it, and I even passed a few guys on the way back. That is one bike that makes me wonder what happened to it. I got a new TREK 420T after that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.