Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

looking for info on montgomery wards hawthorne

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 07:12 PM
iolas

Bikes: mercier kilo tt, raleigh ltd-3, miyata 912, puch luzern, nishiki custom sport mixte, fuji espree, fuji sagres

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ack, I didn't see the subforum for questions like this! sorry guys.

hi! I have been looking for a townie bike for summer, and stumbled upon an old 2 speed montgomery wards hawthorne women's bike. the paint/chrome/etc are in near mint condition, it's all original (the ad says it has italian made wheels, and said they "seem" to be original to the bike, but I have my doubts).

he is asking $50. now, I know some of these bikes are on the low-end of the quality spectrum, so I'm not expecting rave reviews, it just looks like it'd be a fun summer bike. I'd like to know if it's worth $50?

Last edited by iolas; 04-20-10 at 07:19 PM. Reason: oops.
Old 04-20-10, 07:18 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
If it's actually a two-speed, run, do not walk, to buy it.

However, I bet it's a three-speed. If so, well, depends on the market. That brand is very low end department store stuff.

Most people here would say that you can find a much better bike for that money. OTOH, if you don't want to wait, and you want a step-thru green bike, go for it. It would be nice to know that the tubes hold air, the tires are not ready to disintegrate, the brake levers move freely (and the calipers move when you squeeze them), the shifter works, there's no disturbing "clunk" sound coming from the bottom bracket when you turn the cranks, etc.
Old 04-20-10, 07:23 PM
iolas

Bikes: mercier kilo tt, raleigh ltd-3, miyata 912, puch luzern, nishiki custom sport mixte, fuji espree, fuji sagres

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
he says it is a two speed, hard to tell. the tires hold air, and everything is smooth. it was bought from an estate sale and has been sitting in a garage for years.

bikes are incredibly overpriced here, so I'm going back and forth, I don't want to get ripped off... but I do want a step-thru bike.

when you say incredibly low end, is this thing going to be a death trap? haha

thanks for your help!
Old 04-20-10, 07:23 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
First, does it fit you?
Second, do you like the color?
After that, everything else is just details. I had a Wards Hawthorn years ago. Fine bike, not fancy but there wasn't anything wrong with it.
Is it a 2 speed "kickback" hub? The bendix ones are worth at least $50. If it hasn't been ridden much, it would be worth while to clean and regrease all the bearings (hubs, bottom bracket, pedals and even the headset).
Old 04-20-10, 07:26 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Oh, check the rear brake. The cables on ladies bikes are famous for collecting water (even condensation) and rusting out. It's not a big deal to put a new cable on but it's worth figuring into the cost.
I don't think it will be a death trap, but it might be slow.
Old 04-20-10, 07:29 PM
iolas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin
First, does it fit you?
Second, do you like the color?
After that, everything else is just details. I had a Wards Hawthorn years ago. Fine bike, not fancy but there wasn't anything wrong with it.
Is it a 2 speed "kickback" hub? The bendix ones are worth at least $50. If it hasn't been ridden much, it would be worth while to clean and regrease all the bearings (hubs, bottom bracket, pedals and even the headset).
love the color. I am not sure if it'll fit me, he says it is a 26" frame, I am 5'8". I don't know how bikes like that are measured (I only have road frames).
Old 04-20-10, 07:33 PM
cman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like a 3 speed as the hub does not have the 3 grooves/stripes. Also 2speed kickback hubs were a coaster brake. My guess it is 2 speeds due to a loose shift cable.

The bike looks nice- clean paint and non rusty rims. If the tires and tubes hold air, definately worth the $50. If not expect to pay $30-50 for new rubber and tubes. In my area, I would consider that a good deal.
Old 04-20-10, 07:35 PM
iolas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just some perspective of our bike market; an old schwinn sprint goes for $100 in most cases. I'm just having such a hard time finding a women's bike, this is the first "deal" on a complete bike I have found, but, I don't want total crap either; I want something to ride to work and the coffee shop, around town, etc.
Old 04-20-10, 07:36 PM
iolas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cman
Looks like a 3 speed as the hub does not have the 3 grooves/stripes. Also 2speed kickback hubs were a coaster brake. My guess it is 2 speeds due to a loose shift cable.

The bike looks nice- clean paint and non rusty rims. If the tires and tubes hold air, definately worth the $50. If not expect to pay $30-50 for new rubber and tubes. In my area, I would consider that a good deal.
thanks for the info!
Old 04-20-10, 07:39 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by iolas
he says it is a two speed
This can simply mean the seller does not know how to adjust a 3-speed hub's indicator spindle/shift cable to make use of all 3-speeds. Highly unlikely that it's a 2-speed.

I don't want to get ripped off... but I do want a step-thru bike.
His & Hers 60's Raleigh Bikes: https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1686322085.html

If the seller will separate the pair and give you the ladies' bike, you'll have a much better (in terms of quality and collectibility) step-through 3-speed bike than that Hawthorne. Raleigh invented the English ladies bike, Hawthorne just ripped it off. Plus, it looks like that Raleigh has a Brooks B72 on it...

And if you get the pair, I'll pay shipping for you to send the men's my way...

Last edited by Maddox; 04-20-10 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 07:43 PM
iolas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maddox
This can simply mean the seller does not know how to adjust a 3-speed hub's indicator spindle/shift cable to make use of all 3-speeds. Highly unlikely that it's a 2-speed.

His & Hers 60's Raleigh Bikes: https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1686322085.html

If the seller will separate the pair and give you the ladies' bike, you'll have a much better (in terms of quality and collectibility) step-through 3-speed bike than that Hawthorne. Raleigh invented the English ladies bike, Hawthorne just ripped it off. Plus, it looks like that Raleigh has a Brooks B72 on it...

And if you get the pair, I'll pay shipping for you to send the men's my way...
haha due to spending too much of my "bike fund" on another, I am on a TIGHT budget for this summer bike I am hunting down, I'd say $75 tops. would love that though.
Old 04-20-10, 07:47 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
haha due to spending too much of my "bike fund" on another, I am on a TIGHT budget for this summer bike I am hunting down, I'd say $75 tops. would love that though.
Then offer $75. I recently got two 1972 Sports for some friends for $100 total. If the seller hasn't gotten rid of them yet, offer $75 for the one (Heck, offer less - go for $50). I'll bet they'll make you a deal.

Do it. It will be 1 billion times better than the Hawthorne, I give you my word.
Old 04-20-10, 07:49 PM
iolas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just emailed and offered $75, keep your fingers crossed for me. You're talking me out of the hawthorne! I just want a girly bike NOW. haha
Old 04-20-10, 07:56 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Browsing Denver's craigslist I'm finding tons of amazing bikes that, where I live, would easily go for double what they're asking.

Wishing I lived in Denver. *sigh*

I just emailed and offered $75, keep your fingers crossed for me. You're talking me out of the hawthorne! I just want a girly bike NOW. haha
Well, wouldn't you rather have something along the lines of this -- shamefully stolen from a particularly "lovely" blog:

than that Hawthorne?
Old 04-20-10, 08:00 PM
iolas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
of course I would, but it's also more than I want to spend right now.
Old 04-20-10, 08:47 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Like I said, I got a '72 Sports ladies step-through last week for $50. It happens.

Aim high, and you might get it. I don't think the Hawthorne is going to disappear quickly.
Old 04-20-10, 08:50 PM
iolas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks, sound advice I needed, I am a bit impulsive. I have (half of) a nishiki mixte that I was planning on putting together as a townie, but I am impatient and wanted something right now.
Old 04-20-10, 09:47 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you have another bike you're currently riding or are you just trying to get out on the road?
Old 04-20-10, 09:51 PM
iolas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a few, but none that I can wear a dress in without looking like a goon, haha. (don't mock me for being girly!) thus the want/need for a step-through frame.
Old 04-20-10, 09:55 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lol. That's a respectable reason. I, for one, think that's awesome.

Keep us posted on what happens with the bike. I really hope you end up with a Raleigh Sports. They're simply amazing bikes, and guaranteed to be much better than the Hawthorne.
Old 04-22-10, 02:53 PM
iolas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok so pretty sure I am getting this tonight tonight instead:

https://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/1704853296.html
Old 04-22-10, 03:06 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
ok so pretty sure I am getting this tonight tonight instead:

https://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/1704853296.html
That looks like a nice bike. My wife enjoys hers. Do you like Black w/gold? If not, did you ever hear back on the hers of the his and hers Raleighs?

As far as the Hawthorne, it's probably ok, but I agree with the others here it has a misadjusted/gunky 3 speed hub, rather than a 2-speed. I'm also guessing it has a Shimano 333 hub, though I can't tell from the pictures.
Old 04-22-10, 03:15 PM
iolas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my absolute favorite colors, actually. it has new tires, recent tune-up, etc. he said it's in really good condition, and should be fine for someone of my height, so fingers crossed.

your wife likes hers? that's encouraging! I hope I will like it. I have only ever had road bikes, so this will be different. do you think it's a good deal at $75?

I did, they sold!
Old 04-22-10, 03:43 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
just some perspective of our bike market; an old schwinn sprint goes for $100 in most cases. I'm just having such a hard time finding a women's bike, this is the first "deal" on a complete bike I have found, but, I don't want total crap either; I want something to ride to work and the coffee shop, around town, etc.
+1 I have seen some smokin' hot deals in Denver. How much time are you spending looking? The lower the budget, the harder you have to look to find the good stuff. Montgomery Ward bike is bottom end, heavy, slow, etc. But that's what you tend to find in the $50 market. Its not a rip off, its just a bottom of the barrel bike. And it probably needs work. Its pretty easy to spend $100 or more on a bike like this, getting fresh tires, getting the shifting fixed, etc. And when you are done, you will have a $50 bike.

Old bikes, particularly one that needs work, are best suited to buyers who have the time. tools, and interest in fixing them. Otherwise, they tend to be a money pit.

The Raleigh is a much better choice, assuming it is ready to ride. Not only will you not have to dump much money into it, but it also is a respected brand that will hold its value and increase in value.

As far as emailing offers, as one person that sells a fair number of bikes on Craigs List, I totally ignore email offers. Craigs List is the land of no shows, I do not see any reason to negotiate with a person that may never even show up. Go in person, take cash with you, and negotiate then.

And the best deals go fast, so don't wait. Have a target bike/bikes you are looking for, and as soon as one appears, pounce on it. The best deals do not last long enough for someone to post a "Is this a good deal?" question. Bikes priced at full market tend to last a few days around here.

Personally, I would just put $75 or less into your Nishiki mixte instead. Mixtes are extremely popular right now, you should easily be able to get your money out of it later. That Nishiki will be 10X the bike compared to the Montgomery Wards bike, and at least 2X the bike compared to the Raleigh.

Last edited by wrk101; 04-22-10 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-22-10, 03:51 PM
iolas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for your input! I know I was just being impatient and jumping on something that in the long run, wouldn't be the best choice (or really what I want). you guys talked me off the "crappy bike impulse buy" ledge.

the raleigh is totally ready to ride, and I won't have to put any money into it to get it out on the road. I know it will serve me much better than the hawthorne.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.