Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Which old road bikes/brands are great for customizing?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-06-14, 06:43 PM
Bustaknot

Bikes: Crappy ones

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm wondering what older brands and makes are great for tinkering, fiddling, swapping parts, and have a large selection of compatible peices. I hear French brands may have part sizes which can be hard to find?

I'm surfing around craigslist looking for a fun project bike for a beginner bike mechanic.
Old 10-06-14, 06:48 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
A vintage mountain bike with a rigid fork.

A japanese vintage road bike preferably with long reach sidepulls or center pulls.
Old 10-06-14, 06:58 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
There are too many to list, but my favorite might be the Raleigh International of the 1970's. Lots of Raleighs are nice.

It's true that French bikes can pose problems because of threadings and dimensions. I feel it's a shame the metric system lost in the bike world, but that's what happened.

The most predictably standardized bikes might be the Japanese bikes of the 1980's. They were also very well made.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-06-14, 07:22 PM
bobbyl1966

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have customize upgrade one steel road bianchi strada lx. is had the old freewheel i put cassete on that bike i have wheels. From 12 speeds i make that bike 18 speeds now is have crank 53/39 and cassete 9 speeds 12-27. And fulcrum racing 7 wheels. But i have problems with the rim tape is move on the side and the innertube go in the spoke holes and do hole in the innertube. Is 16mm rim tape. Does anyone know what size rim tape that wheels take? Also mountain bikes steel is good to upgrade. I have one steel mountain bike with rigid fork. is trek 830 antelope. 18" frame.Is had triple crank 48/38/28. I put on that bike crank 52/40 and i want try put crank 53/39 and 9 speeds cassete 12-25. Now the cassete is 7 speeds 13-30 i feel is too wide. My height is 5`7" and my inseam is 32". The 18" frame size is okay for me or i need bigger frame?
Old 10-06-14, 07:29 PM
Bustaknot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should make a new thread on this, bobbyl1966. You'll get more people seeing it.
Old 10-06-14, 07:32 PM
Bustaknot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for those raleighs.
Old 10-06-14, 08:19 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
There are too many to list, but my favorite might be the Raleigh International of the 1970's. Lots of Raleighs are nice.
The OP has to be careful of Raleighs from the mid-70's and prior, particularly the UK built ones. They have proprietary threading for the bottom brackets and steerers and compatible components are getting hard to find. I believe the "Raleigh Internationals" have English threading but be sure of what you buy.

As to Japanese bikes from the 80's and 90's, I certainly agree they make a very good basis for restoring, modernizing or customizing. They are generally well made and take conventional and readily available parts. Many are quite cheap but some have gotten pricey (Bridgestones in particular) as they have collectors value. Older Trek frames are also a good start.
Old 10-07-14, 07:11 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The OP has to be careful of Raleighs from the mid-70's and prior, particularly the UK built ones. They have proprietary threading for the bottom brackets and steerers and compatible components are getting hard to find. I believe the "Raleigh Internationals" have English threading but be sure of what you buy.

As to Japanese bikes from the 80's and 90's, I certainly agree they make a very good basis for restoring, modernizing or customizing. They are generally well made and take conventional and readily available parts. Many are quite cheap but some have gotten pricey (Bridgestones in particular) as they have collectors value. Older Trek frames are also a good start.
Higher end Raleighs like the International, Professional and the Competition used standard English threading, it was only the lower end bikes that used proprietary Raleigh threading and those frames would be much less interesting for someone wanting to update
Old 10-07-14, 07:15 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Higher end Raleighs like the International, Professional and the Competition used standard English threading, it was only the lower end bikes that used proprietary Raleigh threading and those frames would be much less interesting for someone wanting to update
Right, but the OP may not know the difference unless it is pointed out. To the newcomer, an old Raleigh is an old Raleigh.
Old 10-07-14, 07:21 AM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by HillRider
Right, but the OP may not know the difference unless it is pointed out. To the newcomer, an old Raleigh is an old Raleigh.
Very true, however, the specific suggestion of looking for an International is a good one
Old 10-07-14, 07:45 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
good advice from everyone, I start the tinkering bug about 15 yrs ago and also started with a bunch of japanese, english and american bikes. my first "good" bike as a kid was a lower end Peugeot, but haven't worked on a French bike since. Italian bikes aren't the best value either and most use their threading, ironically I started with a early 80's Ciocc 15 years ago with this craze as it was the bike I wanted but couldn't afford as a kid, hence the low end Peugeot. If you are looking to strip the bikes completely and swap parts, I would suggest mid 80s to early 90s steel bikes using 700c or 26" wheels. A few early bikes with aluminum head tubes bit the dust when I started hammering on them with home made tools you'll learn to make along the way. Happy hunting...
Old 10-07-14, 08:30 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
+1 on 80's Japanese 10 speeds. They are very good donor bikes for a project (Nishiki, Panasonic, Bridgestone, Miyata, ...are some of the common ones)

+1 on early no-suspension mtb bikes (Specialized, Trek, Gary Fisher, etc). They make excellent commuter frames.

I generally don't go back farther than 80's because of threadings and sizes (French, Italian, etc) and I avoid cottered cranks.

But the best advice I would give you (if you haven't already discovered the reference) is to go read all the stuff from Sheldon Brown. He was pretty amazing.

Last edited by dbg; 10-07-14 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-07-14, 09:46 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
I guess I would have to say almost any brand of the pre-'85 brazed lugged frame bike in good condition would be fine
Old 10-07-14, 10:27 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts

It's true that French bikes can pose problems because of threadings and dimensions. I feel it's a shame the metric system lost in the bike world, but that's what happened.

The most predictably standardized bikes might be the Japanese bikes of the 1980's. They were also very well made.
+1

Mid-'80's Japanese brand bikes seem to have fairly standard components. My first ever "tinker" & learn on bike was a '70's Motobecane Grand Jubile. I knew it would likely have different threading, etc., but was still frustrating for a beginner.

Remember to have fun.
Old 10-07-14, 10:44 AM
Bustaknot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are some amazing suggestions. Thank you all, this has been a HUGE help.
Old 10-07-14, 10:44 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Yea for a while France wanted to be all Metric, so they rounded off the fractional equivalencies every one else used . frame tube and stems and so forth

so things that were 7/8" 22.2mm were 22.0mm, 1"/25.4mm to 25.0mm , and so forth ...
Old 10-07-14, 10:48 AM
Bustaknot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Is there a way to visually tell if it's an International, Professional or Competition? Some listings and pictures don't have that information. Any visual queues to help me out?
Old 10-07-14, 11:01 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Read back thru the many pages here ? : Classic & Vintage
Old 10-07-14, 12:29 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Smartazz.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 10-07-14, 12:32 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Bustaknot
Is there a way to visually tell if it's an International, Professional or Competition? Some listings and pictures don't have that information. Any visual queues to help me out?
They were different in various years, so I could tell you some visual cues, but they would apply to some years and not others, which would be confusing.

I will say that if the serial number begins with W, then it is one of the higher quality bikes made at the Worksop Carlton factory, but even that only applies to bikes after the early 70's.

Last edited by lostarchitect; 10-07-14 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-07-14, 12:38 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

There are scans of catalogs available on the 'net which will help you tell models apart. Also, google images helps a great deal.

Old 10-08-14, 03:10 PM
Bustaknot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are scans of catalogs available on the 'net which will help you tell models apart. Also, google images helps a great deal.
You mentioned the Raleigh International (which looks amazing and I'll be keeping my eye out for it), but what about the Raleigh Grand Prix? I've fallen in love with this green model:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
7873824210_3395fc3186.jpg (58.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 10-08-14, 03:17 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by Bustaknot
You mentioned the Raleigh International (which looks amazing and I'll be keeping my eye out for it), but what about the Raleigh Grand Prix? I've fallen in love with this green model:
If you look at old catalogs, you will see that the Grand Prix was an entry level bike, very much at the lower end of the line. I wouldn't look at any old Raleigh lower down the line than the Super Course
Old 10-08-14, 03:24 PM
Bustaknot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting. I guess i'm digging into some old Raleigh Catalogs tonight Thanks for info.
Old 10-08-14, 04:03 PM
cycle_maven
Collector of Useless Info

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like the mid to late 80's Panasonic-built Schwinns with the Tenax tubing. All standard parts and generally sweet geometry, low weight and inexpensive. Can't go wrong.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.