Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

10 Speed Cassette on a 9 speed bike

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

10 Speed Cassette on a 9 speed bike

Old 11-24-14, 07:52 PM
Jaz123

Bikes: '09 Specialized Ruby Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
5500(9 speed) could easily be mistaken for 5600(10 speed) in the wrong light. A good picture of the shifters might clear things up
The best picture so far. Had to shrink it because it's too big to upload. To me that looks like ST-5600.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0109.jpg (51.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 11-24-14, 08:07 PM
Jaz123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadGuy
If the travel limits were set incorrectly, the rear derailleur might not be able to shift all ten gears, and the front derailleur might click in some gears. If the cable tension was off, it's possible that the derailleurs might not shift into all ten gears in the rear or hit both/all of the chainrings.
You do have really good ideas for checking but I just don't have the technical skills to be messing around. I'll be sure to mention your thoughts to the next LBS.

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
start from ground zero.

1) count the cogs on the new cassette.

2) double check the shifter model number and look up the info on 9 vs 10 speed yourself.

3) assign blame...
1)Counted 9 on the new cassette
2)Shifter model: ST-5600, 10 speed
3)Well partially my fault for not bringing it to a bike shop carrying the brand.
Old 11-24-14, 08:12 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaz123
You do have really good ideas for checking but I just don't have the technical skills to be messing around. I'll be sure to mention your thoughts to the next LBS.

3)Well partially my fault for not bringing it to a bike shop carrying the brand.
safe to blame the LBS.

have to admit it though. they had you going there...
Old 11-24-14, 08:38 PM
RoadGuy

Bikes: 89 Schwinn 754, 90 Trek 1100, 93 Trek 2300, 94 Trek 1400 (under construction), 94 Trek 930, 97 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

The same parts are used on all makes of bikes. Any competent mechanic at any competent shop should be able to help you out, regardless of the brands of iron that they push.

You are not at fault for taking the bike to a shop that you trusted to work on your bike.

You should have known how many speeds your bike has, and you should have been able to speak competently about the problem with the mechanic.

But I'd put this screwup squarely in the hands of the shop. They should have know better, regardless of what you know. Afterall, they are supposed to be the "professionals".
Old 11-24-14, 09:45 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
"The brand" in this case is Shimano, whose components are used on a HUGE majority of new bikes from just about every brand. Any bike shop should be well-versed in working on Shimano components.

If you've got a little bit of mechanical aptitude and you can follow directions, you may find you're capable of more than you think. There are plenty of good tutorials out there like the ones at Park Tool's web site :
Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Rear Derailler Adjustments (derailleur)
Old 11-24-14, 09:51 PM
Jaz123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The same parts are used on all makes of bikes. Any competent mechanic at any competent shop should be able to help you out, regardless of the brands of iron that they push.

You are not at fault for taking the bike to a shop that you trusted to work on your bike.

You should have known how many speeds your bike has, and you should have been able to speak competently about the problem with the mechanic.

But I'd put this screwup squarely in the hands of the shop. They should have know better, regardless of what you know. Afterall, they are supposed to be the "professionals".
Now that I know some stuff, should I go back to the same shop? I'm tempted to do it just because the staff is very helpful and kind and I haven't read any bad reviews that makes me worried. I also have no idea which other shop to trust being new to biking.

On the side note, if I ride on the bike currently, will something bad happen? I want to try riding to the shop instead of trying to fit it in my sedan.
Old 11-24-14, 09:56 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
On the side note, if I ride on the bike currently, will something bad happen? I want to try riding to the shop instead of trying to fit it in my sedan.
No, riding it a little bit shouldn't hurt anything. The worst you'll likely get from your drivetrain mismatch is a little chatter and imprecise shifting.
Old 11-24-14, 10:22 PM
RoadGuy

Bikes: 89 Schwinn 754, 90 Trek 1100, 93 Trek 2300, 94 Trek 1400 (under construction), 94 Trek 930, 97 Trek 1400

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Now that I know some stuff, should I go back to the same shop? I'm tempted to do it just because the staff is very helpful and kind and I haven't read any bad reviews that makes me worried. I also have no idea which other shop to trust being new to biking.

Go back and get your 10-speed cassette back AND get your money back.

Should you use them again?

Hmm, let's see...

They misdiagnosed the problem, sold you a part you don't need, charged you to screw up your bike, and you gave them a perfectly good part that you could have sold for at least $25-$30, under the misconception that they cured a problem that did not exist.

No, don't go there again. I don't care if their nice to you. That's no reason to patronize the shop. They are incompetent, and unworthy of your business. Find another shop where the employees are respectful, friendly, AND competent. If a guy walked up to you, stuck a *** in your face, and asked you nicely for all your money, would you empty your wallet for him, then volunteer to go to the ATM and get him more?

Last edited by RoadGuy; 11-24-14 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-24-14, 10:34 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hmm, let's see...

They misdiagnosed the problem, sold you a part you don't need, charged you to screw up your bike, and you gave them a perfectly good part that you could have sold for at least $25-$30, under the misconception that they cured a problem that did not exist.

No, don't go there again. I don't care if their nice to you. That's no reason to patronize the shop. They are incompetent, and unworthy of your business. Find another shop where the employees are respectful, friendly, AND competent. If a guy walked up to you, stuck a *** in your face, and asked you nicely for all your money, would you empty your wallet for him, then volunteer to go to the ATM and get him more?
can i get you to write an angry letter to AT&T for me?
Old 11-24-14, 11:04 PM
Jaz123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hmm, let's see...

I did get the cassette back today so that's all set.

As to making the shop sound like they conned me, I wouldn't go that far. To be fair, the mechanic was a college student so it wasn't like someone with 30 yrs of experience misdiagnosing the most obvious thing. I think some of you will tell me I shouldn't have let him touch the bike so I'll make sure another mechanic works on my bike, probably someone with more experience. Also they didn't try selling me a new cassette but found one with little wear for a low price.

I'm the type of person that likes to give people second chances to redeem themselves. To base the whole shop on this experience, I wouldn't do that but all said, onward to search for the perfect LBS.

But wow what an experience for my first road bike. I thought it would be an easy peasy bike fitting until my brother noticed some noises in the gears and then everything unfolded...ah the joys of being a newbie.

Last edited by Jaz123; 11-24-14 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-24-14, 11:11 PM
Jaz123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyDog75
If you've got a little bit of mechanical aptitude and you can follow directions, you may find you're capable of more than you think. There are plenty of good tutorials out there like the ones at Park Tool's web site :
Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Rear Derailler Adjustments (derailleur)
Yea I think fixing bikes would be something worth learning. Maybe I'll buy some old used bike and trying fixing it up with the blog you suggested. Actually sounds like a pretty fun thing to do with my free time.
Old 11-24-14, 11:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
WHY ? name the cog tooth count, and its position, you are lacking?
Old 11-25-14, 02:00 AM
RoadGuy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
can i get you to write an angry letter to AT&T for me?

Almost nothing will help you when dealing with AT&T.

Except for maybe threatening to write a letter to the PUC. I don't know if even that will help now that AT&T has succeeded in swallowing back up all the Baby Bells and is once again an 8000 pound gorilla.

I will admit that I have gotten AT&T to honor their promise to replace the water supply line from the street to my house five years after they damaged it when doing a tap for some additional phone lines to my house. At first, the AT&T Damage Claims Department denied the claim (over $2000), but I had enough documentation/proof that they did the damage that the AT&T Legal Department took over the claim and paid it after I wrote a couple of letters. I also got them to pay for some of my phone equipment after something they did during some major repairs to the phone lines in the street some something down the line that destroyed my phones and answering machines.

If you have a problem with AT&T, write them a letter, and threaten to contact the PUC (public utilities commission) if you can't get a reasonable result. You will (probably) get a reaction from them.
Old 11-25-14, 02:10 AM
RoadGuy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I did get the cassette back today so that's all set.

As to making the shop sound like they conned me, I wouldn't go that far. To be fair, the mechanic was a college student so it wasn't like someone with 30 yrs of experience misdiagnosing the most obvious thing. I think some of you will tell me I shouldn't have let him touch the bike so I'll make sure another mechanic works on my bike, probably someone with more experience. Also they didn't try selling me a new cassette but found one with little wear for a low price.

I'm the type of person that likes to give people second chances to redeem themselves. To base the whole shop on this experience, I wouldn't do that but all said, onward to search for the perfect LBS.

But wow what an experience for my first road bike. I thought it would be an easy peasy bike fitting until my brother noticed some noises in the gears and then everything unfolded...ah the joys of being a newbie.

Just because you're young, is not an excuse for incompetence. Skill and experience do not solely belong to older guys. There are plenty of young talented mechanics. If the guy was not competent to do the work, he should not have been working unsupervised.

Quality is a Management Decision. Show the Management of the shop how you feel by taking your business elsewhere. Talk to the Management at the shop, and tell them why you are unhappy and taking your business elsewhere. That will get their attention, and they will either make changes to the quality of the work that they put out, or ignore you. If they ignore you, that's sign that they don't want your business. Go elsewhere with a clear conscience.

So tell us... What did the shop do to earn your loyalty when you went back? You already said that you got your 10-speed cassette back. Did you install it for you and refund your money for the 9-speed cassette? Did they apologize while reinstalling the 10-speed cassette, and adjust the derailleurs correctly so the bike would shift properly on all 10-speeds this time? Did they give all your money back, apologize and fix the bike for free? Free donuts? What?

Last edited by RoadGuy; 11-25-14 at 02:22 AM.
Old 11-25-14, 09:29 AM
Jaz123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just because you're young, is not an excuse for incompetence. Skill and experience do not solely belong to older guys. There are plenty of young talented mechanics. If the guy was not competent to do the work, he should not have been working unsupervised.

Quality is a Management Decision. Show the Management of the shop how you feel by taking your business elsewhere. Talk to the Management at the shop, and tell them why you are unhappy and taking your business elsewhere. That will get their attention, and they will either make changes to the quality of the work that they put out, or ignore you. If they ignore you, that's sign that they don't want your business. Go elsewhere with a clear conscience.

So tell us... What did the shop do to earn your loyalty when you went back? You already said that you got your 10-speed cassette back. Did you install it for you and refund your money for the 9-speed cassette? Did they apologize while reinstalling the 10-speed cassette, and adjust the derailleurs correctly so the bike would shift properly on all 10-speeds this time? Did they give all your money back, apologize and fix the bike for free? Free donuts? What?
I only went back only to get the cassettes but don't be too hasty saying they've earned my loyalty back. I'm not going to let them work on my bike if there's major problems but if it's like a tubing issue or something, I'll probably bring it to them since they're the closest shop. After talking briefly with the owner when asking for the cassettes, he didn't appear concerned I had a mismatched set up and only asked if I had any problems rather than offering to reverse what was done. That aspect made me a little uncomfortable.

I plan to get my bike fixed at another shop who has done some flat repairs on my old mountain bike when I was in school and make sure it's done correctly.

If they offered donuts and free messages every time I came in, that would be really nice.

This whole time you must be thinking "what is wrong with this person?"
Old 11-25-14, 09:48 AM
cycle_maven
Collector of Useless Info

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No, Jaz, you seem to be calm and reasonable. Nothing wrong with that. Not wanting to deal with the original shop is a good reaction, and as far as trying to get a pound of flesh for their wronging you, well, there's nothing but heartache in that.

Here's an example- we had our fence replaced, and usually the neighbors on each side of the fence pay for half. Since my property borders 6 different neighbors, I just paid for the whole thing because I didn't want to deal with trying to get a check from everybody, plus a couple of them have kids in college and I had a windfall that paid for it anyway. No biggie. But one of the neighbors, Dave, went after the fencing company for breaking a sprinkler head when putting in a post. I told him- "dude, you got 50 feet of free fence and you can't fix a $5 sprinkler head"?