Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Paramount? Need help identifying this frame!!!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Schwinn Paramount? Need help identifying this frame!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-18, 03:18 AM
nutpowder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for some reason i'm unable to upload images now... bikeforums seems to be not allowing me to post pics anymore? is that possible? i will log out and try again tomorrow, i have a bunch of pics to show everybody...
thanks again!
Old 04-27-18, 06:08 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
You only have 8 posts and need 10 for posting pictures. Roger
Old 04-27-18, 09:16 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
He has pics in his very first post, so probably something to do with the "new and improved" BF.

Originally Posted by rhenning
You only have 8 posts and need 10 for posting pictures. Roger
Old 04-27-18, 10:04 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
OK, so what's the story on this bike? It's a Paramount with a special dealer head badge sticker instead of a Paramount badge.

https://bikeville.com/2011/11/28/sch...-junior-racer/

Bike racing was very big in the 30s (in the USA), and then cycling began another boom starting in the late 60s. I'm thinking that in the years from 1946 through the late 50s, Paramounts would have been produced sporadically in relatively small numbers, and it follows there may have been more production variation.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 04-27-18 at 02:44 PM. Reason: tense before coffee is not possible.
Old 04-27-18, 10:40 AM
cyclotoine

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Although I can't provide any help on the frame, I will point out that that is a pretty early, but not that early, record headset. You can tell by the rounded profile of the bottom of the crown race. But the upper cup having text indicated it probably dates to the late 1960s. The Cinelli stem is a 1A and possibly the first generation. if it is, it will require a 7mm hex key for the cinder bolt and have a nut for clamping the bars, small grooves in the handlebar clamp surface and a Patent number on the underside (opposite the Cinelli oval logo). If it is, it's worth a surprisingly handsome sum also, as are the earlier headsets in good shape, though this one appears to have been damaged by improper tools.

it's a nice looking frame and an interesting thread.
Old 04-27-18, 01:00 PM
bnewberry

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
These are some of my favorite kinds of threads. I look forward to learning a lot and good luck to the original poster. The frame is very interesting!
Old 04-27-18, 01:27 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 449 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
OK, so what's the story on this bike? It's a Paramount with a special dealer head badge sticker instead of a Paramount badge.

https://bikeville.com/2011/11/28/sch...-junior-racer/

Bike racing was very big in the 30s (in the USA), and then cycling begin another boom starting in the late 60s. I'm thinking that in the years from 1946 through the late 50s, Paramounts would have been produced sporadically in relatively small numbers, and it follows there may have been more production variation.
Interesting.

(Posting one of the photos you found for all to easily see.)

Old 04-27-18, 02:43 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,055 Posts
FWIW, according to Velo Retro's Cinelli timeline, Cinelli stopped having the little spring hole in the right rear dropout (above the hangar, below where the axle goes) in the mid-1960s - not more specific than that. (They call it a "Campagnolo Sport derailleur spring anchor-hole.") That does provide at least an order of magnitude for a "not later than" date.
Old 04-27-18, 07:04 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Well, maybe.
I just shipped a bike off for paint that had that same spring hole in a Campagnolo dropout. Estimated date of manufacture is 1982 or early 1983.
Old 04-28-18, 11:49 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by nutpowder
the headbadge holes on the head tube are 2.5 inches apart!
thanks for the info.
2.6" or 66 mm is the hole spacing I measure on a badge similar to the one on post #13. Don't know if that dimension is the same throughout the decades.
Old 04-28-18, 03:41 PM
nutpowder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
Although I can't provide any help on the frame, I will point out that that is a pretty early, but not that early, record headset. You can tell by the rounded profile of the bottom of the crown race. But the upper cup having text indicated it probably dates to the late 1960s. The Cinelli stem is a 1A and possibly the first generation. if it is, it will require a 7mm hex key for the cinder bolt and have a nut for clamping the bars, small grooves in the handlebar clamp surface and a Patent number on the underside (opposite the Cinelli oval logo). If it is, it's worth a surprisingly handsome sum also, as are the earlier headsets in good shape, though this one appears to have been damaged by improper tools.

the stamp on the underside of the cinelli stem says "REG N. 935126(? or 8 or 0)" i'll have to find a 7mm hex and see if that fits. what's a "record headset" - sorry for my ignorance!

i'll upload more pics as soon as bike forums lets me. for some reason i was able to post a bunch of pics but now i can't...
Old 04-28-18, 03:49 PM
nutpowder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here's all the info on the bikes origins that i could find out: my uncle said he got it all together and he took it apart to restore it in the early to mid 70's but never got around to finishing the project. it has been sitting in a workshop ever since, hence the heavy amount of dust and grime and rust that has settled on it. i have a box with a bunch of parts that i'll post pics of (as soon as bike forum lets me, for some reason i was allowed to upload pics in the original post and a follow up one but now every time i try i'm told i can't post pics until i have 10 posts! this post here being my 10th will hopefully change this situation...) sadly, there was no derailer in the box but i'll keep looking for it!
thanks again for all the info, this has been an entertaining adventure for me, i had no idea what i was getting into!!!
Old 04-28-18, 03:51 PM
nutpowder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine

lets try this again, here's a pic of the underside stamp on the cinelli.
Old 05-01-18, 06:12 PM
nutpowder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
The OP is probably being showered with PMs and emails as we type. Maybe he will update us?
i couldn't retrieve PM's until now!! i haven't been hassled too much...
Old 05-01-18, 06:14 PM
nutpowder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

chain says "brampton france"

finally found some time to post the pics of everything else that came with the frame so here you go:
Old 05-01-18, 06:17 PM
nutpowder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

and here's some more!
Old 05-01-18, 06:19 PM
nutpowder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

and my favorite item, the helmet...
i'm looking for the derailer but i don't think it's around anymore.
don't know if any of these additional pics help date or id the frame but it's all i've got.
thanks again!

Last edited by nutpowder; 05-01-18 at 06:20 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 05-01-18, 08:10 PM
trainman999

Bikes: 83 Schwinn Superior, 86 Paramount,86 Madison,87 Cimeron,86 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 113 Posts
nutpowder Those pictures help a lot we now know it is not a Paramount or a Wastyn, BB would be 1.370 x 24. Your BB 35 x 1 is either French or Swiss ( see if the fixed cup will thread into the left side of the bottom bracket, yes French threads, no Swiss) 26.6 seat post, it is probably made of metric tubing if you have a set of calipers you can measure the OD of the seat tube, 28.0 metric, 28.6 Imperial. Also take a lock nut off the front wheel there is a date stamped in the inner face. You just eliminated most Us and British makers. You are getting closer to knowing who made it.
Likes For trainman999:
Old 05-01-18, 09:46 PM
cyclotoine

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Wow, 3/16" ball BB and "no record" hubs = list of older parts builds up. Glad to see you have the lower headset cup too. Nice kit.
Old 05-02-18, 11:29 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
Originally Posted by trainman999
nutpowder Those pictures help a lot we now know it is not a Paramount or a Wastyn, BB would be 1.370 x 24. Your BB 35 x 1 is either French or Swiss ( see if the fixed cup will thread into the left side of the bottom bracket, yes French threads, no Swiss) 26.6 seat post, it is probably made of metric tubing if you have a set of calipers you can measure the OD of the seat tube, 28.0 metric, 28.6 Imperial. Also take a lock nut off the front wheel there is a date stamped in the inner face. You just eliminated most Us and British makers. You are getting closer to knowing who made it.
+1 I spotted the sizes on the BB cup and the seat post and we can now say with 100% certainty, not a Paramount.

Needless to say the mystery deepens on this fine frame and the Campy components which accompanied it! We'll probably never be able to determine why it was decaled as a Schwinn Paramount. It might be the time to start a new thread titled something like "I.D. this Mystery French Frameset which has Schwinn Decals." I'm guessing many folks who know a great deal about French and Swiss frames see "Paramount" in the current title and have no interest, and therefore, haven't taken a look.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 05-02-18, 11:53 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
+1 I spotted the sizes on the BB cup and the seat post and we can now say with 100% certainty, not a Paramount.
Yep. That BB cup does indicate a great deal. Next question: Is the fixed cup left hand or right hand threads?

It would seem to be narrowed down to a French, Swiss, or possibly Belgian frame. (edit: or Swedish?) That's a lot of bikes to consider. As the most unusual feature is the rather striking fork crown, that is probably the key to identifying it. The rest of the bike has relatively common features.

I suppose if it turns out to be left/Swiss, there is at least a very small possibility that the BB could have been re-tapped from BSC at some point. It does happen, though it is rare. Perhaps we can now say with only 99.936% certainty. Hmm, wait, Wastyn was Belgian right? Maybe his second cousin Eddy back in Bruges or somewhere built it?

Last edited by Salamandrine; 05-02-18 at 12:18 PM. Reason: forgot about Crescent
Old 05-02-18, 11:57 AM
Salamandrine 

RH threads look like this: outside of cup---> [\\\\

LH threads look like this: outside of cup---> [////
Old 05-02-18, 12:30 PM
Salamandrine 

PS

Why is there a Stronglight adjustable cup in the background? Are we sure that this BB goes with this frame? Or are these just a bunch of parts that came with it? Could have been a few parts from another bike that the original owner wanted to swap over, but never got around to it because the BB didn't fit. Which would bring the identity question back to the start.
Old 05-02-18, 01:20 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 449 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
PS

Why is there a Stronglight adjustable cup in the background? Are we sure that this BB goes with this frame? Or are these just a bunch of parts that came with it? Could have been a few parts from another bike that the original owner wanted to swap over, but never got around to it because the BB didn't fit. Which would bring the identity question back to the start.
And does that seatpost fit the frame's seattube?
Old 05-02-18, 01:47 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts

Great thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.