Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

possible BF pakiT Buy

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

possible BF pakiT Buy

Old 03-16-21, 04:50 PM
brdeleo49

Bikes: Electra Cruiser 7D, Dahon Boardwalk, Sundeal F1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
possible BF pakiT Buy

What do you all think about a BF pakiT IGH 3spd Sturmey Archder, Ritchie bike post, Kojak Schwalbe with less than 100 miles for $1k or OBO. I am about to pull the trigger and buy it. He says that their is a "rattle" when you back pedal on the coaster brake, but not when you pedal. He is including the "Albatross" bars and I will have to get some new pedals.
Old 03-16-21, 04:52 PM
brdeleo49

Bikes: Electra Cruiser 7D, Dahon Boardwalk, Sundeal F1

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
linberl, I had sent you a PM for your take on this. Let me know....
Old 03-16-21, 08:23 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Sen tyou a response.
Old 03-16-21, 08:31 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by brdeleo49
What do you all think about a BF pakiT IGH 3spd Sturmey Archder, Ritchie bike post, Kojak Schwalbe with less than 100 miles for $1k or OBO. I am about to pull the trigger and buy it. He says that their is a "rattle" when you back pedal on the coaster brake, but not when you pedal. He is including the "Albatross" bars and I will have to get some new pedals.
Hmm....rattle on back pedal? I know nothing about IGH but rattles are not normal. Could just need new oil, could be bearings, could be chain slop....or things I've never heard of. I would assume it's going to cost $ to deal with it and make an offer accordingly. The 3 speed pakit starts at $1395. I am not sure I would pay $1000 for a used one with a potential IGH issue and no warranty; of course that will depend on the upgrades from stock that are on it.
Old 03-16-21, 08:58 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
I'm the seller, I paid $1200 (plus shipping) for it from the original owner last year. It's not a rattle in the hub, it's that the coaster brake creates a reaction in the junction where the rear triangle meets behind the seatpost. There's a smidge of movement there at the quick-release you wouldn't normally notice on a PakiT - it's not there while pedaling or coasting - that the step-on-the-brake setup agitates for some reason. The O-ring cushion in there is present, everything works right, it's just an oddity of putting a coaster brake on that design I guess. They don't seem to have made very many with this arrangement so I couldn't find any other information on it.
Old 03-16-21, 09:41 PM
linberl

Ah, if that's the problem it is easy to isolate. Take a bit of tire tube about 3/8 in width and put around the black tube in front of the release pin and then close the rear triiangle. If the noise disappears when you ride and brake, then it is just the slack between the two (which does exist on all pakiTs to some degree). The more you open and close the triange, the more the paint will wear off the black tube portion and the slack will increase. Using a piece of inner tube as a "condom" was the solution that I arrived at with BF when I had this issue, which would happen even using my caliper brake. The tolerances on my replacement triangle are a little tighter so haven't had the need.
Or am I misunderstanding what you're defining as the issue, Joe? And if that's the problem, it's a non-problem and just part of the design tolerances.
Old 03-16-21, 09:49 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Yep Linberl, that's the issue. I probably would have thought of that idea eventually but my riding time has been not-so-great the last year so I never got around to being bothered by it. For the rides I did do I got pretty slick at dragging the brake gently (or not at all) to keep the chatter down and mostly used the front caliper. If I kept the bike I would try your scheme.
Old 03-18-21, 07:02 AM
agghk

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brdeleo49
I'd send you a private message if I were allowed. I've got a similar bike and some thoughts - ordinary brakes mind and not sure I can help much with the rattle.