Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cable Frame Grommets

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cable Frame Grommets

Old 12-01-21, 07:50 PM
jcbenten
Just call me Chris

Bikes: 2019 Reven Voltage, 2007 Kestrel RT700 & Univega MB hard front/tail and is 27 years old.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Cable Frame Grommets

I have a 2007 Kestrel RT700 (essentially the same as the RT800 & RT900 that followed). I am in search of the frame cable grommets that corrode and disintegrate over time. I had a stash but that is used up. The local Trek Bike shop has given up in their search. Does anyone know of old parts warehouse, know someone who might make it work or know of a hack to make it work? The bike shop is not willing to hack something up (they still have the bike, I get back tomorrow). I seem to recall that the frame shape was pretty common back in that day (sharing of molds in Taiwan?) and looks very similar to some of Motebecanes on BikesDirect.

Kestrel has not responded...

Any thoughts or leads are welcome. These pictures are of the grommet in question...

Grommets at top
Old 12-02-21, 08:42 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
Just “spit ballin’” here…but if you can’t find them…I wonder if that is something that could be created on a 3D printer.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 12-02-21, 08:50 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,165 Times in 762 Posts
Don't people use google to search anymore?

https://www.google.com/search?client...frame+grommets

Or how about Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bike+cabl...f=nb_sb_noss_2
Likes For prj71:
Old 12-02-21, 09:07 AM
jcbenten
Just call me Chris

Bikes: 2019 Reven Voltage, 2007 Kestrel RT700 & Univega MB hard front/tail and is 27 years old.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I sent this to the bike shop two weeks ago when they initially told me about the issue (in for a different reason). Supposedly they ordered something and tried and it did not work. I will pick the bike up this afternoon and have them show me what they ordered. I do not understand, if something like these do not fit, why a piece of PEX will not work. The grommet just keeps the cable from rubbing on the edge of the frame doesn't it?

Last edited by jcbenten; 12-02-21 at 09:08 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-02-21, 10:27 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Maybe get yourself some Sugru and make some yourself? https://sugru.com/
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 12-02-21, 12:45 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Maybe get yourself some Sugru and make some yourself? https://sugru.com/
I hadn't seen that before. Does someone in 'Murka carry it?
Old 12-02-21, 12:48 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I hadn't seen that before. Does someone in 'Murka carry it?
Amazon does.
Old 12-16-21, 01:23 PM
jcbenten
Just call me Chris

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
As an update, I have had much time to work on this due to life events, but have learned it appears the same grommets were used on the RT800/900/1000. I have also found Specialized parts on Performance Bike that are similar. The shop I took my bike to, which has converted to a Trek Bike Shop, tried a Trek part but is a bit too large. Also, the Kestrel part has bolt connection to the frame prior to the cable entrance which can be seen in the image above. The Trek part looks like the Ebay/Amazon parts.

Still no answer from Kestrel...
Old 01-16-22, 10:33 AM
urbanCyC

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Just “spit ballin’” here…but if you can’t find them…I wonder if that is something that could be created on a 3D printer.

Dan
That would be a typical use case for a 3d printer, maybe more for a SLA printer than for a FDM printer.
Old 01-16-22, 06:45 PM
jcbenten
Just call me Chris

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanCyC
That would be a typical use case for a 3d printer, maybe more for a SLA printer than for a FDM printer.
Wouldn't a CAD/3D Model file be required? Or is there cost effective scanning software?
Old 01-17-22, 12:38 PM
urbanCyC

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jcbenten
Wouldn't a CAD/3D Model file be required? Or is there cost effective scanning software?
I have no experience in scanning. But it would not take too long to model this thing.
Old 10-23-22, 10:31 PM
boby

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kestrel RT900 frame cable grommets

jcbenten
Were you able to find any frame cable grommets for your Kestrel RT700?
I have a Kestrel RT900 with same corroded grommets and have not been able to find any at bike shops, online, or through Kestrel.

If you have found some, please let me know where.
Or, if you somehow obtained a stash of them, I would be grateful to buy a few off of you if that works for you.

If not, I will CAD them up and 3D print them in MJF and/or aluminum.
Old 10-24-22, 05:43 AM
jcbenten
Just call me Chris

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
boby
I was able to pick one up from Bikes Direct...which is where I purchased the bike originally. (Cost $15 but also got a flask.....i.e., he forced a purchase of a flask and threw in the grommet. Although he did not say that up front...just quoted $15 for the grommet...I did not ask if he had more).

I even contacted Steven Harad (Kestrel Prod Mgr at the time) with a response but no luck. He had sent my original stash years ago. Tried contacting Preston Sandusky (Frame designer for the RT700) who currently works for Ibis but he did not respond. The ones who own Kestrel are not responding...although the brand looks to be gone for good. I had a friend, who teaches HS Physics, take one for a few months to try and build one on a 3D printer but he and his students never got around to it. I think this is the way to go. If you get ever get it modeled and printed, you now have a very niche business. Make the damn thing out of Titanium or Zirconium. I have been through at least a half dozen over the years. I have the bike up for sale, all fixed up, in the Austin area. If you ever get it 3D modeled, and I end up keeping the bike, I may be calling you.
Old 10-24-22, 07:38 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I've never owned a bike using this type of grommet but what are they made of that they are so fragile you need a "stash" of replacements?
Old 10-24-22, 08:10 AM
jcbenten
Just call me Chris

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Seems to be a very low density metal matrix that corrodes from water and salt. Even moisture in the atomosphere. Mine have turned greenish/black but not always. Seems to be too light for copper compound so I think some type of Aluminum...cheap sintering process. If they were solid probably last longer but it almost like a foam. They look like plastic (ABS or similar) but are not.
Old 10-24-22, 09:43 AM
boby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kestrel frame cable grommet

I just sent Bikesdirect an email and will also start on the 3D print route tonight.
3D printing might take a couple of iterations to get the geometry just right.
Old 11-01-22, 12:16 AM
boby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame Cable Grommet

jcbenton
Bikesdirect was able to send sent me qty 1 of the Kestrel RT900 Frame cable grommets (along with a flask - LOL).
I reverse engineered/designed it and should have several of them 3D printed by Wednesday.
For material, I am starting with MJF nylon. Many other bikes use cable grommets that are plastic.
MJF gets fairly close to as as molded strength and nylon is good for corrosion resistance so I am thinking it should be good.
I will get more of them printed once I prove out it is working as hoped for.
Let me know if you want some.
Old 11-01-22, 12:18 AM
boby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame Cable Grommet

I tried posting a CAD image of the Grommet but the forum website said I need to 10 posts before I can share an image.
Old 11-06-22, 06:41 PM
jcbenten
Just call me Chris

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by boby
jcbenton
Bikesdirect was able to send sent me qty 1 of the Kestrel RT900 Frame cable grommets (along with a flask - LOL).
I reverse engineered/designed it and should have several of them 3D printed by Wednesday.
For material, I am starting with MJF nylon. Many other bikes use cable grommets that are plastic.
MJF gets fairly close to as as molded strength and nylon is good for corrosion resistance so I am thinking it should be good.
I will get more of them printed once I prove out it is working as hoped for.
Let me know if you want some.
I would love a handful of grommets. PM me with a cost when you think you have a working model and I will order. Thanks!

PS- Sorry it took me so long to respond...I am JCBENTEN (no "o" and so no notification.
Old 11-06-22, 07:24 PM
boby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had one silly "mirrored/reversed" mistake on the strain relief tail on my first 3D print design but everything did fit.
I should have "fixed" 3D printed parts by Tuesday Nov 7 and then I will rerun the cable and see how it shifts.

How does 10 of them sound?
I should only be reimbursed for shipping as I can not do this for profit. It would be a conflict of interest.
Old 11-10-22, 07:51 PM
jcbenten
Just call me Chris

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I PM'ed you. Thanks Boby!