Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Boardwalk D5

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Dahon Boardwalk D5

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-22, 04:58 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Dahon Boardwalk D5

Here's something cool I found. Has anyone seen one?

https://www.dahon.com.hk/products/dahon-boardwalk-d5-hac653-folding-bike
Old 02-21-22, 10:20 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
I have 2 turn of the century (2001 and 2002) Boardwalks and they look like basically the same thing and ride very well. I suspect the major differences are the components are different as the ones on mine are no longer made. Roger

Old 02-21-22, 12:00 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 1,815 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Here's something cool I found.
A 16" (ISO305) Boardwalk! Cute.

Dahon has been doing this 'big derailleur and tiny cassette on small wheel bike' thing for a while now (Curve, D Zero, Dove, EEZZ, K3, NuWave, Qix D3). Perhaps it dates all the way back to the Classic 5. Despite me thinking the gearing is too limited and the derailleur too vulnerable, it seems to be what some segment of their market wants.

Last edited by tcs; 02-21-22 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-21-22, 12:31 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I am puzzled about the price that in my converter comes out to be $560! We have nominally similar Dahons purchased in China, check my profile, that I bought in the range of $100-120 per piece. They came with 6 speeds, fenders and racks. The quality was not up to the standards elsewhere in the world, but they filled our immediate needs at the time. Over time with upgraded different components.
Old 02-21-22, 01:17 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
It's not a low-end Dahon, it uses a cromoly frame, alloy crank (with fancy steel chain guard) and alloy seatpost; plus a dedicated Dahon-branded shifter, derailleur and 5-speed cassette. The frame/parts level looks similar to the 40th Anniversary 20-inch-wheel Boardwalk shown here recently and I expect that bike to be at least $700 if they sell it in the USA.

Edit: I'm wrong about the parts comparison, the 40th uses the cheaper cranks and shifter/derailleur seen on most Boardwalks, this D5 Asian market bike would be more expensive.

Last edited by Joe Remi; 02-21-22 at 02:49 PM.
Likes For Joe Remi: