Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advice on a Giant road bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-22, 02:44 AM
Camel1963

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I'm into classic old style Dutch bikes and know nothing about modern road bikes so wondered if anyone who knows about these might give me some advice please?

A friend recently emigrated and ran out of time to sell his road bike so left me the bike to sell for him and send him the money.

I have no idea what these are worth or how much to ask. He left me new tyres which I'll fit before it's sold.

It's a Giant Defy Allux 5 and seems in really good condition. Ive ridden it and everything works fine. Are these good bikes? Any ideas what it may be worth and how much to ask for it?

Thanks for any help.
Pete
Old 04-02-22, 04:18 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
I had a 2012 Defy 2 purchased in mint condition off eBay and it was an absolute cracker. I've passed it down to a friend's grandson so it's still out there somewhere. It depends on the year but I think the Defy 5 will have the same frame as the Defy 2 but will either have a steel fork or possibly an alloy fork.

A picture would help us identify the year and condition to then give a value.
Old 04-02-22, 05:19 AM
Camel1963

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, thanks for replying.
here are some pictures still with the old tyres which will be replaced prior to selling.

Old 04-02-22, 08:47 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
I quite like that colour scheme but it's an old Claris groupset and the fork isn't carbon (try a magnet on it to see if it's steel or aluminium). My first thoughts are $250 with buyers wanting to pay $200 max.

Edit: Looks like a 2015 Giant Defy 5 with an aluminium fork (UK spec'). See if the seatpin moves. If it does make sure you mention this in your bike description.

Last edited by Welshboy; 04-02-22 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-03-22, 09:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
It is an overall cheap bike and I probably wouldn't ask more than $100 but maybe try for $200. It is Claris which is one slight level up from Shimano's lowest end gruppo Tourney and the frame is nothing special just a low cost aluminum on probably aluminum fork (or maybe some gaspipe steel). If it does all work decently for what it is and everything moves properly then you at least have a good selling point.
Old 04-04-22, 10:50 AM
lunchmeaty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a thought, but I'd definitely check in with my friend to see what he's hoping to get out of it before anything else.