Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cost of bike parts vs car parts

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cost of bike parts vs car parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-22, 08:51 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
i got more like 2k, maybe 2,500 out of GP5000s. still very short relative to cost, especially compared to high performance car tires!
I didn't want to get into this part of the topic with posters........but I used to drag race imports. Legally at the strip. I had a 500+ whp turbo car. I specifically would drive the car to the strip with the drag tires in the back on the spare wheels and use my electric impact at the track to swap them on/off. A trailer and tow vehicle was out of question at the time. I didn't run full slicks but did run a "legal" drag radial on those. In like 2007 they cost like $250 each. They'd last me maybe 10 visits to the dragstrip with quite a few runs each.

I think there's misconception in here about the "performance tires" folks are putting on their factory BMW and utilizing for a relatively long time versus "competition tires" and what those cost and last. Some of the costly bicycle tires being tossed around actually get raced by pros. In competition. Cute high mileage "performance" tires on a person's mid-level junior executive sporty car simply do not compare.

A GP5000 bike tire is closer to probably a Michelin Pilot Sport Cup. Not to some kind of 30 or 40k mile rated sports car tire. If you want the comparison to the 40k mile car tire, you're going to have to get into the performance touring bike tires instead.

Pilot Sport Cup tires are like $500 each and most online users saying "about two track days". So $2000 for two track days worth of actual "use". Aka.......not driving your sports car to and from work at 35mph, but actually using the tires.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 06-07-22, 09:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
slight exaggeration. 700x26 turbo cotton (came with the bike) rear tire, was toast after 1,200 or so. replaced it with a matching one because the front was at around 50% based on the dots. closing in on 2,000, looks like it’ll last to 2,500 total or so.

obviously these are not meant for long life, but pretty extreme for a tire you can just go into a bike shop and buy - and comes stock on some bikes.

i got more like 2k, maybe 2,500 out of GP5000s. still very short relative to cost, especially compared to high performance car tires!

You get about the same as I do out of the GP5k. I don't think the comparison to car tires makes a lot of sense because of stuff I said in an earlier post. Basically, car tires get longevity by being made out of a lot of material, and bike tires need to be thin enough so that their weight is suitable to the human motor. I mean you could probably build a bike tire designed to go 30.000 miles, it would just be too thick and heavy to be used on a human powered bike.
Old 06-07-22, 09:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Yes, as long as the "nice car" is in clear excess of what is plenty comfortable and utile. I am not observing that people aren't willing to give up what they need for their family. I'm observing that these folks clearly have the means to own what bike they wish, and the car proves it.

It's a luxury to buy more car than you need. The same as the luxury of buying 2nd and 3rd bikes or a single super super fancy bike.

My point is if those folks driving $60k cars like the bike thing THAT much, maybe they can figure out how to get away with owning a $40k car instead.

My observation with the caveat.......not everyone is in the situation of that choice. Some drive a crap car and have to do what they can to afford the bike. I realize that. But the complaining in triathlon and time trial for it is often pretty laughable.

So basically, you're laughing at them for saying they "can't afford it" when they really mean "I don't want to buy it because I'd rather spend the money on making my car nicer than I need". You're right, their need to rationalize it so it doesn't sound like it's a choice they're making is kind of funny.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-07-22, 09:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I didn't want to get into this part of the topic with posters........but I used to drag race imports. Legally at the strip. I had a 500+ whp turbo car. I specifically would drive the car to the strip with the drag tires in the back on the spare wheels and use my electric impact at the track to swap them on/off. A trailer and tow vehicle was out of question at the time. I didn't run full slicks but did run a "legal" drag radial on those. In like 2007 they cost like $250 each. They'd last me maybe 10 visits to the dragstrip with quite a few runs each.

I think there's misconception in here about the "performance tires" folks are putting on their factory BMW and utilizing for a relatively long time versus "competition tires" and what those cost and last. Some of the costly bicycle tires being tossed around actually get raced by pros. In competition. Cute high mileage "performance" tires on a person's mid-level junior executive sporty car simply do not compare.

A GP5000 bike tire is closer to probably a Michelin Pilot Sport Cup. Not to some kind of 30 or 40k mile rated sports car tire. If you want the comparison to the 40k mile car tire, you're going to have to get into the performance touring bike tires instead.

Pilot Sport Cup tires are like $500 each and most online users saying "about two track days". So $2000 for two track days worth of actual "use". Aka.......not driving your sports car to and from work at 35mph, but actually using the tires.
Also, PSI for a bike racing tire just isn't comparable to the 40k mile tire.

I think we're comparing horse shoes to Nike shoes. It's an object with the same name and an analogous function, but it's just completely different in composition and design.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-07-22, 09:21 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You get about the same as I do out of the GP5k. I don't think the comparison to car tires makes a lot of sense because of stuff I said in an earlier post. Basically, car tires get longevity by being made out of a lot of material, and bike tires need to be thin enough so that their weight is suitable to the human motor. I mean you could probably build a bike tire designed to go 30.000 miles, it would just be too thick and heavy to be used on a human powered bike.
yes. agreed. i rode on gatorskin hardshells for a while and i think they would have gone about 12k.

it’s just surprising to me how far in the direction of “light and small” many mainstream-seeming bike components are - brake pads especially. i totally get your point about tires, but would it make the brakes significantly heavier if the pads were twice as thick?
Old 06-07-22, 09:28 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
So basically, you're laughing at them for saying they "can't afford it" when they really mean "I don't want to buy it because I'd rather spend the money on making my car nicer than I need". You're right, their need to rationalize it so it doesn't sound like it's a choice they're making is kind of funny.
Different priorities for different folks. Here's a fine example. Look at all the different opinions:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ttle-cage.html
Old 06-07-22, 09:29 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6936 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
slight exaggeration. 700x26 turbo cotton (came with the bike) rear tire, was toast after 1,200 or so. replaced it with a matching one because the front was at around 50% based on the dots. closing in on 2,000, looks like it’ll last to 2,500 total or so.

obviously these are not meant for long life, but pretty extreme for a tire you can just go into a bike shop and buy - and comes stock on some bikes.

Just a tip, and nevermind if you've already thought of it or tried 'em: I've been running some Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass (35mm) tires on one of my bikes, and they are smooth and supple -- and last a surprisingly long time. I replaced the rear at 3300 miles, and it wasn't even worn through; front is still running strong at 5300 miles.
Old 06-07-22, 09:32 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
I didn't want to get into this part of the topic with posters........but I used to drag race imports. Legally at the strip. I had a 500+ whp turbo car. I specifically would drive the car to the strip with the drag tires in the back on the spare wheels and use my electric impact at the track to swap them on/off. A trailer and tow vehicle was out of question at the time. I didn't run full slicks but did run a "legal" drag radial on those. In like 2007 they cost like $250 each. They'd last me maybe 10 visits to the dragstrip with quite a few runs …
i hear you; i used to track my ‘02 s2k (boosted at the time, mostly legally) at laguna seca and sears point. all these pastimes have a range from casual to bleeding edge… sometimes you just don’t know which end of the range you’re headed towards 😂
Likes For mschwett:
Old 06-07-22, 09:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

yes. agreed. i rode on gatorskin hardshells for a while and i think they would have gone about 12k.

it’s just surprising to me how far in the direction of “light and small” many mainstream-seeming bike components are - brake pads especially. i totally get your point about tires, but would it make the brakes significantly heavier if the pads were twice as thick?
Weight vs. durability vs. cost vs. aerodynamics is definitely the multivariate trade off that bike designers have to consider. Other kinds of vehicles, you just adjust the power of the motor. I have no idea what the optimal thickness for a brake pad should be.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-07-22, 11:46 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Just a tip, and nevermind if you've already thought of it or tried 'em: I've been running some Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass (35mm) tires on one of my bikes, and they are smooth and supple -- and last a surprisingly long time. I replaced the rear at 3300 miles, and it wasn't even worn through; front is still running strong at 5300 miles.
What is it with the RH fanbois on this forum? I'm sure there's something to some of their products, but sometimes I almost wonder if BF is just one big orchestrated RH marketing page.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 06-07-22, 12:21 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
...Only thing I gained from this is that the OP buys cheap brake pads for the car and those things are always worth the extra cost for good stopping....
You bring up a good point. I did find someone on eBay I think selling four sets of compatible brake pads for my bike for $10. There was a comment that they last about 800' of descent. I passed on that deal.

Since I cycle much more than I drive, I tend to go cheaper on the car maintenance. With my light use, I've never worn out any brake parts I've installed.
Old 06-07-22, 01:09 PM
Koyote

What is it with the RH fanbois on this forum? I'm sure there's something to some of their products, but sometimes I almost wonder if BF is just one big orchestrated RH marketing page.
Have you tried any of their tires?
Old 06-07-22, 01:25 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
Parts is parts.

Pay your money, play the game(s).
....the cost of owning & maintaining a good polo pony has gone though the roof, the old nag still eats hay & grass.
edit: ....and don't get me started on race horse costs!

Last edited by Wildwood; 06-07-22 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-07-22, 01:33 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I've spent a stupid amount of money on various Herse and Compass tires. They are comfortable. They are not too slow especially if using latex tubes. The sidewalls are easily damaged and they flat easily. They are about $90 per tire plus $14 shipping. Is there a better tire than wider ones (38 mm and up) run at lower pressures? In thee 28-35 mm range, I no longer buy them because there are better options. YMMV
Old 06-07-22, 01:39 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
edit: ....and don't get me started on race horse costs!
more stable of a sport imo.
Old 06-07-22, 01:55 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
What timing. I just got a call that my wife's car needs new front brakes to the tune of $1,400.

I'd rather buy bike brakes.
Old 06-07-22, 02:03 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by Troul
more stable of a sport imo.
Old 06-07-22, 02:22 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by Mojo31
What timing. I just got a call that my wife's car needs new front brakes to the tune of $1,400.

Whew! Good thing my neighbor's last names are Williams and Smith.
Old 06-07-22, 02:50 PM
GhostRider62

Yikes.

Not hard to replace front rotors and pads.

That $1400 seems about standard stealership pricing on an S Class Mercedes for front. Parts are less than half that (akebono pads and OEM quality rotors like Zimmermann or Brembo) and it takes maybe an hour to replace them. I usually get 100,000 miles out of rotors and 50K from pads. On bike....haha.
Old 06-07-22, 03:25 PM
Koyote

That’s under $200 per axle on a Honda, usually.
Old 06-07-22, 03:42 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Yikes.

Not hard to replace front rotors and pads.

That $1400 seems about standard stealership pricing on an S Class Mercedes for front. Parts are less than half that (akebono pads and OEM quality rotors like Zimmermann or Brembo) and it takes maybe an hour to replace them. I usually get 100,000 miles out of rotors and 50K from pads. On bike....haha.
It is dealership pricing, but from that company based in Stuttgart. If I were to do it myself, I'd "f" it up. And, then it would cost more.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 06-07-22, 03:46 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by Koyote
That’s under $200 per axle on a Honda, usually.
Maybe so, but she doesn't want to drive a Honda. Nothing wrong with doing so, but that's not where we are, and it just is what it is.
Old 06-07-22, 03:48 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
I love these threads, that start with a person completely misunderstanding manufacturing, ad thinking the cost involves only materials, when in fact the overhead, building, equipment, etc., as well as labor actually make up the majority of the cost of an item. Let's not mention the part that demand for said item affects the cost.
Likes For phughes:
Old 06-07-22, 03:53 PM
GhostRider62

It is dealership pricing, but from that company based in Stuttgart. If I were to do it myself, I'd "f" it up. And, then it would cost more.
Independents would cost a lot less than $1400. I do my brakes now because I have more time than money. I think my high end Indy used to charge me around 7-750 for front brakes. Zimmerman rotors and he used different pads but IIRC, parts were well under $400 and he charged 2 hours labor. I can buy the parts for less than that and it takes an hour to do the job.

Unless it is an AMG, $1400 is high. They are making a fortune for just fronts.
Old 06-07-22, 04:03 PM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by phughes
I love these threads, that start with a person completely misunderstanding manufacturing, ad thinking the cost involves only materials, when in fact the overhead, building, equipment, etc., as well as labor actually make up the majority of the cost of an item. Let's not mention the part that demand for said item affects the cost.
Like pills only cost 2 cents because that is the cost of the raw materials. Forget development costs, costs of the other 100 drugs that failed, cost of clinical trials, costs to pay the health authorities, constructing purpose built facilities, etc.

But that is not really the case with most car parts. Consumers can generally buy the same wear item part direct without paying dealer markup and one can have it installed at an independent service facility. I admit to having my BMW serviced (fluids) at the dealership but I would never spend $1400 an axle for brakes. I do think bike brakes cost about the same per mile.....Good pads for carbon rims are around $50 and I go thru a couple sets a year. I should do the math. Bike tires are way more expensive per mile. I used to go thru 6 sets a year but only 2-3 sets now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.