Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Argon 18 "2 wat seatpost" clamp failure

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-16-22, 07:44 AM
SlowRon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Everyone, I'm new to this forum so I apologize for posting this message to the 'General Cycling Discussion' but I'm hoping to reach a wide audience. I own an Argon 18 C track bike and I'm generally pleased with the bike, but it has an odd seatpost design that Argon no longer uses. Unfortunately I can't include an image since this is my first post. Basically, I've never been able to get the seat clamp to hold the seat angle for very long, the seat eventually starts to sag and then I have to adjust it and re-tighten the seat clamp. I've followed the installation instructions to the letter. The problem is that the "rocker clamp" 3e doesn't prevent the "rocker" 3f from rotating (part references from the Argon manual). During my last track session the seat suddenly pitched nose up 90 degrees which caused me to fall on the track. Fortunately no one else was on the track at the time and I avoided any serious injury, but it would have been catastrophic if it had happened during a workout while riding in a pace line. What I'd like to find out is if anyone with an Argon bike with this seat clamp design (which was also used on some road/tri bikes) has had similar problems. The shop where I bought the bike said, "Oh yeah, that seatpost has been a b*tch." I've contacted Argon 18 about it and they haven't offered any assistance and deny that there was a problem with the design though they no longer use it on any of their new bikes and now use a more conventional seat clamp design. FYI, I use the seat post in the furthest aft position, and my seat is back on the seat rails but within the acceptable limits. I've filed a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission since now I feel the bike is too dangerous to ride with this clamp design.
Old 06-16-22, 08:51 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,488 Times in 543 Posts
I've seen a lot of posts about various seat post clamp design issues where the seat post height slips but this is the first one I've heard about the seat angle not holding. I don't have any advice but if it is subject to suddenly rotating to the point it causes crashes, I would consider applying epoxy to lock it in place. Not a great solution since it would prevent ever making adjustments but I wouldn't feel good about selling a bike with that problem so if that would make it safe to ride, maybe the best solution.

Would be interested to hear about your complaint and whether they respond at all. Hope it gets resolved.
Old 06-16-22, 09:01 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by SlowRon
Hello Everyone, I'm new to this forum so I apologize for posting this message to the 'General Cycling Discussion' but I'm hoping to reach a wide audience. I own an Argon 18 C track bike and I'm generally pleased with the bike, but it has an odd seatpost design that Argon no longer uses. Unfortunately I can't include an image since this is my first post. Basically, I've never been able to get the seat clamp to hold the seat angle for very long, the seat eventually starts to sag and then I have to adjust it and re-tighten the seat clamp. I've followed the installation instructions to the letter. The problem is that the "rocker clamp" 3e doesn't prevent the "rocker" 3f from rotating (part references from the Argon manual). During my last track session the seat suddenly pitched nose up 90 degrees which caused me to fall on the track. Fortunately no one else was on the track at the time and I avoided any serious injury, but it would have been catastrophic if it had happened during a workout while riding in a pace line. What I'd like to find out is if anyone with an Argon bike with this seat clamp design (which was also used on some road/tri bikes) has had similar problems. The shop where I bought the bike said, "Oh yeah, that seatpost has been a b*tch." I've contacted Argon 18 about it and they haven't offered any assistance and deny that there was a problem with the design though they no longer use it on any of their new bikes and now use a more conventional seat clamp design. FYI, I use the seat post in the furthest aft position, and my seat is back on the seat rails but within the acceptable limits. I've filed a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission since now I feel the bike is too dangerous to ride with this clamp design.
I just looked this up, and I can see what you're talking about. Many saddle clamping designs of that similar type have the same problem.

Outside of the typical loctite or carbon paste and torque spec answers folks give........I would perhaps research if you can swap the seatpost from the track bike (the Electron?) for the seatpost from the triathlon/TT bike the E-117/E-118 etc... Those seatposts appear to have a more traditional clamp mechanism at the top that would not slip.

The only issue you may run into even if the seatpost fits the frames the same will be that track bikes probably had that design so folks can swap from mass start events to pursuit events and run the same frameset. Just move the saddle and swap the cockpit out in like 5 minutes. Not sure the triathlon/TT bike seatpost would allow that level of saddle change ability between track events.
Old 06-16-22, 09:17 AM
SlowRon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I just looked this up, and I can see what you're talking about. Many saddle clamping designs of that similar type have the same problem.

Outside of the typical loctite or carbon paste and torque spec answers folks give........I would perhaps research if you can swap the seatpost from the track bike (the Electron?) for the seatpost from the triathlon/TT bike the E-117/E-118 etc... Those seatposts appear to have a more traditional clamp mechanism at the top that would not slip.

The only issue you may run into even if the seatpost fits the frames the same will be that track bikes probably had that design so folks can swap from mass start events to pursuit events and run the same frameset. Just move the saddle and swap the cockpit out in like 5 minutes. Not sure the triathlon/TT bike seatpost would allow that level of saddle change ability between track events.
I've asked Argon multiple times if any of their other seatposts would fit my frame but I've gotten no reply. They 'look' similar, but my seatpost is symetrical and some of the new seatposts are not (pointy in the front, flat in the back). You said "I just looked this up.... Many saddle claming designs of that similar tyep have the same problem" can you provide me with more information? Where did you "look up" your information? Additional info could be helpful as a pursue this with the CPSC.
Thanks
Old 06-16-22, 09:22 AM
SlowRon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm considering what I can do to lock it in place and epoxying everything together is one alternative. I know that the CPSC has sent a copy of my complaint to Argon, and I've had my own email exchanges with them. I'm waiting for a reply to my last email Argon and also for the CPSC to tell me how Argon replies to them before I alter the seat clamp on my own. I also agree, as an engineer I wouldn't be happy selling the bike to someone else.
Old 06-16-22, 09:25 AM
SlowRon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My weight - 160 lbs

Oh, just in case anyone is wondering. I only weight 160 lbs so I'm not applying an undue amount of force on the seat!
Old 06-16-22, 10:13 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I've seen 3T as a brand come up several times for having saddle mount slipping issues due to the design of it. That's what I was thinking of. If you search for that one they had issues also.

Looking up? I just found images of the design of the clamp for the Argon so I could see what you're talking about. Not any research, just an image search.
Old 06-16-22, 10:23 AM
SlowRon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, thanks.