Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1959 Hercules Update

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1959 Hercules Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07, 10:00 AM
tenordl

Bikes: early 50's Chemineau, 59 Hercules, 81 Schwinn Super Sport, Columbus SL/Campy racer, Univega Mountain Bike, Univega 7-speed commuter, 73 Raleigh DL1, 66 Raleigh Sports, Fiorelli Tandems, Schwinn Twinn tandem, Humber Sports, Raleigh Super Course, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1959 Hercules Update

The Hercules project is getting there, the fork went back to the LBS for an adjustment to the axle spacing, and now seems to be serviceable. I've run into a problem with the rear wheel, however. The rim was replaced with one that doesn't match, so now I'm trying to find a 26X1+3/8 EA3 steel rim.

David L
Old 01-10-07, 04:04 PM
kemmer
*****es love tarck

Bikes: so many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How can you put "update" in the title and not include pictures, that's just mean. Keep us posted, I have one like yours that appears to be a 1960. Here's a bad picture of mine:
Old 01-10-07, 05:05 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 6,683 Times in 2,609 Posts
Originally Posted by tenordl
The Hercules project is getting there, the fork went back to the LBS for an adjustment to the axle spacing, and now seems to be serviceable. I've run into a problem with the rear wheel, however. The rim was replaced with one that doesn't match, so now I'm trying to find a 26X1+3/8 EA3 steel rim.

David L
David, what's the marking on the front rim? Is it Dunlop EA3 (no raised middle edge as in Raleigh Patent rims)? And I assume it's a 40-hole rim you're looking for?

Neal
Old 01-11-07, 06:07 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
Originally Posted by kemmer
How can you put "update" in the title and not include pictures, that's just mean. Keep us posted, I have one like yours that appears to be a 1960....
Kemmer and tenordl,

Do you have any closeup pictures of the saddles on your Hercules? The one I found at the dump in December was missing its cover. I'm thinking about asking the local upholstery shop if they can make an acceptable replacement. Pictures of your originals would be helpful. Sorry these are the best pics I have of my saddle. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Hercules Freed.JPG (87.6 KB, 31 views)
Seat Tube Decal.JPG (91.4 KB, 31 views)

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 01-11-07, 09:40 AM
tenordl

Bikes: early 50's Chemineau, 59 Hercules, 81 Schwinn Super Sport, Columbus SL/Campy racer, Univega Mountain Bike, Univega 7-speed commuter, 73 Raleigh DL1, 66 Raleigh Sports, Fiorelli Tandems, Schwinn Twinn tandem, Humber Sports, Raleigh Super Course, etc.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry about that, I should Have included pictures. I just ran down and took some.

I found a replacement rim at a bike shop in a nearby town. The shop has been there forever, and they found an Araya rim in the cellar which is an exact copy of the British 3-speed rim. Not authentic, but it is an Ea3 Chrome rim with 40 holes.

The saddle on my bike is a Brooks 66. I assume that is what it came with as the bike appears to be one of the more deluxe models. I haven't been able to find much information on the Hercules, except for the fact that the '59 was the last year for the ones made by Hercules before they were bought out by T.I. (Raleigh).

I have included some pictures of the mattress type Brooks saddles, if that is of any help.

David L.
Attached Images
Hercules Project Front.JPG (82.2 KB, 40 views)
Hercules Project Side.JPG (86.9 KB, 54 views)
Hercules Project Rack.jpg (74.1 KB, 25 views)
Hercules Parts sm.jpg (86.3 KB, 27 views)
Hercules Project Seat.jpg (64.0 KB, 34 views)
Brooks Mattress Saddles.jpg (67.3 KB, 34 views)
Triumph Saddle.jpg (75.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 01-11-07, 09:45 AM
tenordl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's a pic of the rear wheel I'm about to build. I forgot to put it with the other pics.

David L.
Attached Images
Old 01-11-07, 10:40 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
1959 was a very good vintage for bikes!
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-11-07, 11:46 AM
kemmer
*****es love tarck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Kemmer and tenordl,

Do you have any closeup pictures of the saddles on your Hercules? The one I found at the dump in December was missing its cover. I'm thinking about asking the local upholstery shop if they can make an acceptable replacement. Pictures of your originals would be helpful. Sorry these are the best pics I have of my saddle. Thanks!
I'd be happy to snap a few pictures for you. I can send you the whole seat (or just the cover) if you want it. I'm going to put a nice brooks on it when I finally get around to rebuilding it. I'm going to put a brooks saddle and nitto moustache bars on it. I may upgrade some other things as well, I'm toying with the idea of outfitting it with a Nexus 8 speed hub, alloy wheels and modern cranks.

The headlight will go on my Stingray or lowrider, depending on weather or not I paint the 'ray. I'm getting giddy just thinking about all the fun bikes I have!
Old 01-11-07, 01:16 PM
tenordl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kemmer

I think your Hercules is older than 1960. Sheldon Brown says to look at the rear dropouts. If the fender eyelet is on top, like yours and mine, it was made before Raleigh, (T.I.), bought them out. The Raleighs had the eyelet on the back of the dropout. Have you checked the date on the Sturmey hub?

David L.
Old 01-11-07, 01:29 PM
divineAndbright

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kemmer

I think your Hercules is older than 1960. Sheldon Brown says to look at the rear dropouts. If the fender eyelet is on top, like yours and mine, it was made before Raleigh, (T.I.), bought them out. The Raleighs had the eyelet on the back of the dropout. Have you checked the date on the Sturmey hub?

David L.
I dont really know anything about hercules, but that seat and that chainguard screams 1960s.. especially the chainguard for mid to late 60s, most chainguards from that era came with pointy fronts like that [you get your pant leg caught on it a lot!].
Old 01-11-07, 02:27 PM
kemmer
*****es love tarck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kemmer

Have you checked the date on the Sturmey hub?

David L.
The SA hub says it's a 1960. Other than that, I haven't really checked anything else.
Old 01-11-07, 04:24 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by divineAndbright
I dont really know anything about hercules, but that seat and that chainguard screams 1960s.. especially the chainguard for mid to late 60s, most chainguards from that era came with pointy fronts like that [you get your pant leg caught on it a lot!].
Since we're showing and telling about Hercules bikes, I thought I'd add a picture of my chaingaurd, which I think is pretty cool with it's outline of a city. Too bad mine is a very small women's frame. Any ideas on what size tires rod brake rims take?
Originally Posted by kemmer
I'd be happy to snap a few pictures for you. I can send you the whole seat (or just the cover) if you want it. I'm going to put a nice brooks on it when I finally get around to rebuilding it.
Pictures would be great! I don't think yours will match my red and white Hercules. I don't think the original saddle was made by Brooks. The name plate on the rear of the seat (yes it is still there) reads "HERCULES." I picked up an old B-72 for $10 to use. It needs to be re-riveted, which should be a fun new skill to learn!
Attached Images
Chainring 3.JPG (87.4 KB, 25 views)
Front Brakes.JPG (90.1 KB, 21 views)

Old 01-11-07, 05:31 PM
divineAndbright

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any ideas on what size tires rod brake rims take?
If it has 26" wheels, that would be 26 X 1 3/8.. all the 3 speeds used them, as well as any single speeds made after '69 or so. if you have some of those tires laying around and they are a tad too small, then you'll need the UK type which are a tad bigger in diameter if I remember? I think reffered EA3.

If it has 28" rims i'm guessing that takes the 28 X 1 1/2 UK size tire, if you could put a 700c beside it to compare, and the herc's rim is a bit bigger than I would guess that. The only other 28" rim size is our Canadian ones which has the same diameter of a 700c wheel, but I hardly would suspect that since that bikes is in America, and probably sold there originally. Im not sure weather or not you americans had a specific 28" wheel size and how it would compare to the UK ones, maybe its the same I dont know, I just know you guys stopped selling bikes with them in the '30s likely when the balloon size came out.

Last edited by divineAndbright; 01-11-07 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-11-07, 05:42 PM
amnomad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any ideas on what size tires rod brake rims take?
Hey Bob, Sheldon Brown has a page on measuring rims to find the tire fit, should fix you up...

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rim-sizing.html
Old 01-12-07, 08:04 PM
zagnut

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure if this helps or if it's common knowledge, but most Hercules bikes in the 50's were sold by Montgomery Wards. Sears Roebuck sold Raleighs in the same era. As I recall, both catalogues had 3 models, kind of a good, better, best option. My first decent bike was a middle model Hercules purchased in about '54. It was a nice red, not candy apple, but cool looking to an 8 yr old. IIRC, the base model was plain, the middle model had a seat bag that matched the saddle, and the top model may have had some tools as well, possibly lights. I know mine had the bag. We called them "English Racers". The Raleigh lineup was similar. Mine cost right around $45 back then, I saved for 2 years to buy it and I was a little short, so my dad coughed up the last $5. I was one thrilled kid.

Zagnut
Old 01-14-07, 01:35 PM
tenordl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A little more work is done on the Hercules. Here is a picture of the rear wheel, back together with a new rim, on my vintage Hozan truing stand. Also included is a pic of the bike as it is so far.

David L
Attached Images
Hercules Rear Wheel Small.jpg (84.5 KB, 20 views)
Hercles Project Small.jpg (94.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-14-07, 04:58 PM
tenordl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finally finished the Hercules! Of course there is more that could be done, like finding some touch-up paint for the chain guard, but it's back together. I haven't ridden it yet because of the weather, and living in New England, it may be a while before I get a chance to do so, but she checks out ok on the stand.

David L
Attached Images
Hercules Finished small.jpg (90.3 KB, 46 views)
Hercules Left Side small.jpg (91.6 KB, 24 views)
Hercules Seat Tube small.jpg (70.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-14-07, 05:52 PM
kemmer
*****es love tarck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fantastic! Beautiful bike!
Old 01-14-07, 06:08 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

David, I can only hope my Hercules will turn out 1/4 as nice as your beautiful bike. Just as a comparison, look at the seat tube decal on mine.

Old 01-14-07, 08:28 PM
tenordl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pastor Bob,
It isn't perfect, but not bad for an unrestored almost fifty year old bike! The pictures, at the resolution allowed for this forum, hide a multitude of flaws, but it's condition is far too good to consider a full restoration. As far as I know, the only parts that are not original, other than the tires, are the chain, the rear rim, at least one spoke, and the headset top nut. Oh, and one of the brake blocks. The frame pump is the only one that I have for English three-speeds, and so I use it for whichever of the three is in need of it.

As for your Hercules, it is quite unusual, I would think, what with the rod brakes. Is it a single speed? I would like learn more about the Hercules brand. It seems you never see two that are alike.

David
Old 01-15-07, 06:57 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

As for your Hercules, it is quite unusual, I would think, what with the rod brakes. Is it a single speed? I would like learn more about the Hercules brand. It seems you never see two that are alike.
David, mine is a single speed which won't serve anyone very well here in the NH mountains. Too bad this is a very small women's bike. My guess it is suited for someone 5 foot tall or less, which rules out even my wife and daughter. I doubt if I keep this bike in the long run, but that will have to wait until after restoration. Speaking of which, it is line behind the '62 Continental and '71 Varsity. I have my work cut out for me!

Old 01-15-07, 07:05 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
David, mine is a single speed which won't serve anyone very well here in the NH mountains. Too bad this is a very small women's bike. My guess it is suited for someone 5 foot tall or less, which rules out even my wife and daughter. I doubt if I keep this bike in the long run, but that will have to wait until after restoration. Speaking of which, it is line behind the '62 Continental and '71 Varsity. I have my work cut out for me!
Bob,
Let me know when you are ready to part with it My wife is 5-'1" and short frames are hard to come by We "won" a 17" Raleigh Colt last year at the ABCE Event and it was just her size. It has fast become her favorite bike.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-15-07, 10:02 AM
tenordl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bob,
I don't know what to start on next. I have a Raleigh Super Course that is my size, or a Humber, an Atala, a Schwinn Twinn Tandem, and the list goes on. I'll start on something soon.

Aaron,
There is a small, pink, Lotus frame and fork in my cellar that I don't know what to do with. Want me to check it out?

David
Old 01-15-07, 07:35 PM
tenordl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Aaron,
The Lotus measures 21 inches. Sorry, it looked smaller than that to me.

David
Old 01-15-07, 08:24 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Aaron,
The Lotus measures 21 inches. Sorry, it looked smaller than that to me.

David
David,
Thanks for checking anyway We always look kind of strange riding together anyway...I am 6'-2" and long legged at that. She is 5'-1" and has proportionately short legs. That Raleigh we won was a godsend in more ways than one. The only other bike she could even come close to riding comfortably was a GT Slipstream 16" frame and that was after changing the stem and messing with the seat alignment. We are in the market for a cruiser type tandem...that is going to be fun shopping for too. So far the top candidate is the Bermuda from Torker.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon