Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Atala Giro d'Italia

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Atala Giro d'Italia

Old 02-16-07, 09:51 AM
bhare
Brian

Bikes: Schwinn World Sport, Raleigh ????, Triumph ????

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Atala Giro d'Italia

Hello all.

I have this Giro d'Italia Atala frame:
https://picasaweb.google.com/misterha...06074100292258
Go right at the first picture. Anybody know about it? I couldn't find info on its year, etc. I'm wondering if the bottom bracket is worth saving. I think it could be saved with a sand blasting. Would this be a bike worth building back up?
Thanks for your help in advance.

-brian

PS - I know, I mashed the cotter pin.
Old 02-16-07, 10:07 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Entry level model from the early 1970s boom. 2nd from the bottom of the line. Hi-tensile steel frame. About equivalent to a Peugeot UO8. Original value circa 1973 would have been $135 US. Probably not worth the effort and cost for the return, if you are re-painting.

However, if you are interested, some of the original components were: Weinmann 999 brakes, Simplex Prestige derailleurs, 27" steel rims, large flange QR hubs (probably Gnutti).
Old 02-16-07, 10:10 AM
redneckwes
Super Course fan

Location: Lost on the windswept plains of the Great Black Swamp
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Brian,

I'm down in Findlay, PM me if you decide to build it back up. If you decide to dump it, I might be interested. I'm a nut for cheap 70's steel.
Old 02-16-07, 10:21 AM
bhare
Brian

Bikes: Schwinn World Sport, Raleigh ????, Triumph ????

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
However, if you are interested, some of the original components were: Weinmann 999 brakes, Simplex Prestige derailleurs, 27" steel rims, large flange QR hubs (probably Gnutti).
I'm afraid none of the components are still around. This is one of the first bikes I took apart and didn't know very much about parts. They are long gone. Too bad, but thanks for the info.
Old 02-16-07, 08:36 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 275 Posts
My dad gave me one for my 13th birthday and I'm still riding it.
Well, the frame, fork, headset and bars anyway
The bottom bracket will be 70mm Italian. And I buggered the cotters on mine long ago.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 02-18-07, 01:11 PM
tenordl

Bikes: early 50's Chemineau, 59 Hercules, 81 Schwinn Super Sport, Columbus SL/Campy racer, Univega Mountain Bike, Univega 7-speed commuter, 73 Raleigh DL1, 66 Raleigh Sports, Fiorelli Tandems, Schwinn Twinn tandem, Humber Sports, Raleigh Super Course, etc.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Atala 3-speed

T-Mar
Do you have any info on the 3-speed model Atalas? I've been trying to reassemble this one. I took it apart many years ago with thoughts of upgrading it for use as an around-town bike, but I couldn't get the bottom bracket apart. I am trying to find the brakes for it. They appear to have been side-pulls because the quick-release hangers don't have provision for adjustment. It's probably not worth my time and effort, but it has a nice big frame, and is fairly unusual - at least in the U.S.

David L
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Atala 3-Speed.jpg (75.2 KB, 71 views)
Old 02-18-07, 04:47 PM
evwxxx
FalconLvr

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 64 Posts
I am thinking this frame needs total emersion in Oxalic Acid!
Old 02-18-07, 09:17 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by tenordl
T-Mar
Do you have any info on the 3-speed model Atalas? I've been trying to reassemble this one. I took it apart many years ago with thoughts of upgrading it for use as an around-town bike, but I couldn't get the bottom bracket apart. I am trying to find the brakes for it. They appear to have been side-pulls because the quick-release hangers don't have provision for adjustment. It's probably not worth my time and effort, but it has a nice big frame, and is fairly unusual - at least in the U.S.

David L
There were two different Atala 3 speeds, the Sportiva and Tourista. The Sportiva came with optional caliper or coaster brakes. The brand and model of the caliper brake is not mentioned. The Tourista was spec'd with Weinmann 999 center-pull.

You mention hangers with quick release but without adjusters. The presence of hangers suggest a center-pull brake as side-pull have the quick release built into the lower caliper arm and the cable housing runs to the upper caliper arm. However, Weinmann had quick release hangers with built-in adjusters. The lack of adjusters on a hanger with quick release would seem to indicate an Italian brake, as they favored adjusters on the brake lever. Perhaps the specs changed or there was a shortge of Weinmann. Weinmann would probably be easier to find than Balilla or Universal.
Old 02-19-07, 08:46 AM
tenordl

Bikes: early 50's Chemineau, 59 Hercules, 81 Schwinn Super Sport, Columbus SL/Campy racer, Univega Mountain Bike, Univega 7-speed commuter, 73 Raleigh DL1, 66 Raleigh Sports, Fiorelli Tandems, Schwinn Twinn tandem, Humber Sports, Raleigh Super Course, etc.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The bike is a Tourista, and I did find a set of Weinmann center=pull brakes in my cellar that are the right size and seem to be adjusted to that bike. The problem is there is no provision for cable adjustment with the quick release devices on the bike. The hole only accepts a cable end, it is not large enough for an adjusting barrel. I also found a Universal brake set. I'll take another look at that today, and also the brake levers.

Thanks for your help.

David L
Old 02-19-07, 10:14 AM
T-Mar

The bike is a Tourista, and I did find a set of Weinmann center=pull brakes in my cellar that are the right size and seem to be adjusted to that bike. The problem is there is no provision for cable adjustment with the quick release devices on the bike. The hole only accepts a cable end, it is not large enough for an adjusting barrel. I also found a Universal brake set. I'll take another look at that today, and also the brake levers.

Thanks for your help.

David L
Post some pics of the hangers. I should be able to tell if they are Weinmann or Universal.
Old 02-20-07, 08:20 AM
tenordl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Atala Quick Release

Here are the pictures. I was mistaken when I said I had found Weinmann brakes that seemed to fit. The ones I put on the bike for a fit are Universals. I also have a set of 999's, though, but I don't see any kind of adjusting barrels that would seem to fit the brake levers or the hangers.

David L
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Atala brake quick release.jpg (62.9 KB, 60 views)
Old 02-20-07, 10:26 AM
T-Mar

Those are Universal quick release hangers. If you want some quick release hangers with adjusters, look for Weinmann, Dia-Compe or Shimano. I'll check the shop to-morrow and see if I have anything. There's nothing wrong with non-original parts for the sake of functiuonality, but save those Universal hangers, in the event you want to take it back to 100% original. Also, label the container with the bicycle they were removed from. This practice makes things much easier, years down the road.

Italian three speeds with internally geared hubs are quite rare and the Atala look very nice with those chrome head lugs, particularly with the black paint. Treasure it.
Old 02-20-07, 02:15 PM
tenordl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess I will get it back on the road. If I like riding it I will probably do some upgrading, such as alloy rims. Do you by any chance know what the brake lever cable adjusters looked like? It is not likely that I threw them away, but I did not have the foresight to label the parts from this particular bike. I have all the replaced parts for my Chemineau, however.

David L
Old 02-20-07, 02:54 PM
T-Mar

I'm not aware of Universal having made levers for flat bars that incorporated a barrel adjuster. The only Universal levers that I'm familair with are for racing bars.

You have a Chemineau! Is it one of the models with the proprietary derailleurs? That was one of the original, practical derailleur designs and extemely long lived. PLEASE post a picture of it!!!!

BTW, I can probably help you date your Univega, as most were built by Miyata and Iid so, I can decode the serial number.
Old 02-20-07, 03:08 PM
tenordl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, the Chemineau has the proprietary derailleurs. I will post pictures in a new thread since you have expressed interest. I am quite proud of it. I bought it used in 1955 and have kept pretty good care of considering I was very young at the time. It won an award at the one and only bike show I ever attended last summer.

BTW, do you happen to know what kind of saddle the Atala came with?

David L
Old 02-20-07, 03:40 PM
T-Mar

BTW, do you happen to know what kind of saddle the Atala came with?

David L
Unfortunately, the specs only state "spring" and there are no pics.

Thank-you VERY much for offering to post pics of your Chemineau. Should you ever decide to sell it, contact me.