Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Convert hybrid, use old chromoly, buy new, drops, trekkers, loads, racks, ...advice?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Convert hybrid, use old chromoly, buy new, drops, trekkers, loads, racks, ...advice?

Old 10-23-14, 11:06 AM
walksomemore

Bikes: Masi Premiare, Trek 520, '01 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, All,

Let me start at the beginning -- pretty recent retiree (yippee), very fit, started cycling after years (like 30) away - kids gone, downsized, etc, etc - and I must say it is a big part of my daily routine at this point. So first, I bought a Diamondback Trace dual sport XL - one of those 1-week giveaway deals online - I got the one with the Steel forks and no suspension, in XL, to tool around my new neighborhood and minimize my gas consumption. Wasn't really sure what I really wanted / needed, and this seemed to be a good start. I'm 6' tall with about 36" floor to sitbone measure. Okay, so I began to tweak it a little, w/ toe clips, 28c tires for fitness runs, looking for a bit more speed and handling, then added a rack -- then some trekker bars, mirror, seat, etc, riding more and more.

Then I got the idea of using it as a long-distance bike and picked up an old roadie - a Schwinn Traveler with a BEAUTIFUL paint job, which I fixed up (new tires, Jagwire cabless, overhauled hubs/bb, new seat, bar wrap, etc). So now I'm riding about 100-125 mis per week with longer club rides about once a week ('longer' means 35-50 mis). This is a really fun and pretty fast roadie for its time, and it fits me okay at 63 cm or so (remember, geometry was different back then). See pics of both bikes below:

So now I've built up both bikes to a point, and I'm getting more dialed in to what I want as far as sit position, etc. I had originally wanted to use the DB as a trekker, but it's kind of heavy, so now I'm wondering if the Schwinn would suffice as a tourer - after all, it ain't that much different than the Surlys or Safaris in some ways - lugged frame, 28 lbs, traditional geometry, etc. After reading a ton here about bike behavior under heavy loads and how it may be better (easier) to tow a trailer, I'm wondering if I should use the Schwinn as a tourer, chuck the DB, and pick up a bona fide roadie (there are some SUPER year-end deals going on right now).

I like both bikes - the Schwinn can cruise at 18-19 on flats for me, enough to hang with all but the strangest muscle heads in my club - but it is frankly a lot more work for me on this 30-pounder than the newer tech materials and geometry (I particularly like the Trek Domane I demo'ed 2 wks ago...), so 16-17 mph is really comfy for me. But lighter and faster is what I want for my day rides - generally up to 40-50 mis or so with the group. (there. I said it. Lighter and faster.).

The DB is beefier, longer wheelbase, dble-walled Weinmann rims, triple cranks, Ahead/Ritchie/Shimano components, and I stuck a Topeak rack on her as well. So that one rides like a Lincoln these days, but sporty and snappy it ain't, and 14-16 is about her cruising speed without a load. And after riding it for 3 months, the top tube may be a tad long for my taste which I am pretty sure I can fix by shortening the stem to 50mm. So I am in a dilemma........

1. Do I continue to tweak the DB and expect to use it for overnighters (I'm looking at bar end shifters, drop bars, and a shorter 50mm stem right now on Ebay).
2. Do I Sell the DB, throw the rack on the Schwinn, and use the Schwinn for training/light touring/touring trips? BTW the Schwinn will take up to 32's but no room for fenders. The DB has room for fenders, fatter tires, front/back racks, cable TV, parachute, machine ***, and .... well, you get it.
3, Do I keep 'em both, buy a nice updated roadie, and put my DB back into the light trail/commuter mode?
4. Forget the new endurance bike, keep my two 'as is', and stop whining about it?

I am planning an overnighter pretty soon, but not sure if I'm gonna go bikepacking or do credit-card touring yet. As a long-time backpacker and section hiker, my heart really wants to load up, be self-sufficient, and take off, but I will say that around these parts, most touring is lightweight with day bags and hostels - but there are some pioneers around here form time to time.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but can anyone relate to this story? I am at a loss as to what direction to go next.... btw, I don't have a bunch of money tied up - the add-ons are all transferable (Brooks seat, rack, gatorskins, etc).

Any and all advice (except slanderous) would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
schwinn1.jpg (61.4 KB, 44 views)
schwinn2.jpg (70.0 KB, 47 views)
DB3.jpg (47.1 KB, 44 views)
db4.jpg (99.4 KB, 36 views)
Old 10-23-14, 12:34 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
walksomemore, The Diamondback will be just fine for day trips and weekend touring. An argument can be made that dedicated touring bikes aren't "sporty or snappy" and many weigh about the same.

Brad
Old 10-23-14, 01:07 PM
cycle_maven
Collector of Useless Info

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Schwinn will need a bunch of work to make it tour-worthy, IMO. The DB is a lot closer. The main thing is gearing- even though you can push the Schwinn pretty fast now, it will be a different story when it's loaded with 40 pounds.

I vote for putting a shorter stem and drop bars on the DB. Sell the Schwinn. Get a 18 pound modern aluminum/carbon go-fast bike for hanging with the road crew.
Old 10-23-14, 01:19 PM
walksomemore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I forgot to mention the DB already has hte bailout crank and the Schwinn can be kind of a beast going uphill (in wind...).

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I feel the same. D#$n, I hate to get rid of the Schwinn - it's been a good one and I have thoroughly enjoyed tinkering with it, getting it up to speed. But I know it'll go quickly in this college town.... but yeah, I guess I could put some drop bars on the DB and hunt down some controls pretty economically - and it really is more easily expandable than the Schwinn. Maybe I'll just go onto Ebay or Nashbar and look around a bit.

Thanks for both replies! Anyone else?

w
Old 10-23-14, 01:44 PM
walksomemore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did ride an all-aluminum bike awhile baak - a Novara Zealo that REI had on sale for 600 or so...alum forks - it seemed very harsh and a little top-heavy to me.
Old 10-23-14, 02:35 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by walksomemore
Thanks for both replies! Anyone else?
w
At the risk of saying something stupid, I can offer my solution; I am in similar state of mind, though not as fit as you are. I bought a Novara Safari on Labor Day sale, and it looks similar in geometry and gear to your DB. I've been riding it to get back in condition and want to go long touring. The Safari is heavy, but built to haul loads. I've progressed to 37-43 mile rides every other day but only about 13mph. I like my trekking bars and have installed fenders (a must!), front rack and disc brakes. If I never go off paved roads, my bike is over built, but I have in mind a route for next spring that will be 85% gravel/dirt and 2700 miles long, so I think it will be perfect for that. My vote is to lower my speed expectations for touring and enjoy the scenery. 12mph x 5hrs = 60 miles, which is not a bad number for day after day riding. Wider tires on a touring bike are more comfy, so your DB is perfect. Get a front rack and some panniers.
Old 10-23-14, 02:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
The 'chicken wings' , on the red bike they detract from the braking .. I made it a practice of removing them almost 30 years ago .

I am now a user of trekking bars . and straight bars with Ergon grips ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS , primarily .

I just keep my nice road bike because I'd eat a big loss unless I stripped it and auctioned off each part .

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-23-14 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-23-14, 02:55 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
The diamond bike will make a fine tourer as is pretty much. I dunno if I'd go to the trouble of fitting drops to it. I would get a "zippy" road bike though. Given how much you're riding, you'll enjoy it. Try to find a bike that takes long reach side pulls so that you can fit a little fatter tire (say a 700 x 28c) and which has wide ranging gearing.
Old 10-23-14, 04:35 PM
walksomemore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
At the risk of saying something stupid, I can offer my solution; I am in similar state of mind, though not as fit as you are. I bought a Novara Safari on Labor Day sale, and it looks similar in geometry and gear to your DB. I've been riding it to get back in condition and want to go long touring. The Safari is heavy, but built to haul loads. I've progressed to 37-43 mile rides every other day but only about 13mph. I like my trekking bars and have installed fenders (a must!), front rack and disc brakes. If I never go off paved roads, my bike is over built, but I have in mind a route for next spring that will be 85% gravel/dirt and 2700 miles long, so I think it will be perfect for that. My vote is to lower my speed expectations for touring and enjoy the scenery. 12mph x 5hrs = 60 miles, which is not a bad number for day after day riding. Wider tires on a touring bike are more comfy, so your DB is perfect. Get a front rack and some panniers.
Agree!! Interestingly enough - I had a great discussion with a lady who did 3100 miles - Seattle to East Coat - this past summer, and she said if you aree traveling with bike and packing, expect a good time to be about 11-12 mph overall. And if you think about it, ir yer loaded down maybe 12-13 ain't so slow after all.... Yeah, I actually went to that sale and actually bought a Randonneur, but when I got it back to Wilmington I realized my Diamondback has everything (pretty much) the Randonneur offers -- so I took it back. Anyway, how do you like those trekkers? Jury is still out for me, but I know several experienced trekkers (including the owner of my LBS) who have taken them all over the place. I put the Gatorskins on to gain a bit of speed over my 40c OEM tires. The 28c gator are nice on the road but have NO OFFROAD SKILL AT ALL!!! So, as I go thru this I'll go back to probably 32c or 35c's with some shoulder on 'em.

Anyway, I'll give the trekkers a shot on my first trip and if they don't work for me I'll put some drops on her.

BTW ALL, after posting and reading, I went to Competitive Cyclist and my DB dimensions are almost spot on for an Eddy position for me - within a cm or 2 here or there, nothing I cannot tweak for. Nice break!
Old 10-23-14, 04:38 PM
walksomemore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
The 'chicken wings' , on the red bike they detract from the braking .. I made it a practice of removing them almost 30 years ago .

I am now a user of trekking bars . and straight bars with Ergon grips ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS , primarily .

I just keep my nice road bike because I'd eat a big loss unless I stripped it and auctioned off each part .
HAHA I get it about the safety brakes - but I thought they were an asset, not a liability.....and while we're at it, how can you hardcore roadies spend so much money on bikes that don't eve come with kickstands**********

Anyway, I love my Schwinn (when I was a kid only the well-to-do kids had Schwinns. I had a JC Higgins), but I am getting it. Thanks so much to you guys for making me think more clearly on this!
Old 10-23-14, 04:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

kickstand=touring,utility bike ..

I had a J.C. Higgins . made in Austria By Puch.. JFK was still breathing , back then.
Old 10-23-14, 04:47 PM
walksomemore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
The diamond bike will make a fine tourer as is pretty much. I dunno if I'd go to the trouble of fitting drops to it. I would get a "zippy" road bike though. Given how much you're riding, you'll enjoy it. Try to find a bike that takes long reach side pulls so that you can fit a little fatter tire (say a 700 x 28c) and which has wide ranging gearing.
You're right - I'm gonna go look at zippies this weekend. I am lusting after a Lynskey Pelaton or 255 right now - a little wider tire geometry to take up to 28's, similar to a chromo feel, and very comfy, but also very pricey (remember, my first 10-speed - my pride and joy in 1972 - was only $80.00). I also found a 2013 Masi Premiare(?) in my size for about a third of retail - all carbon and 105 equipped throughout - I may pull the triggger on that one this weekend.

I don't believe it'll be as nice a road ride as Ti, but it'll be half the money......

...... so, you're from Middle Earth......... I've been there. It's in the Joyce Kilmer Wilderness, right here in western North (by Gawd) Carolina......still looking for the ring.

Thanks!!!
Old 10-23-14, 04:50 PM
walksomemore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I had a J.C. Higgins . made in Austria By Puch.. JFK was still breathing , back then.
So do you remember what you were doing when you got hte news? I was in fourth grade, it was after recess, and we were all snoozing while my teacher read 'Caddie Woodlawn' to us when the housekeeper burst in. Ain't it funny how I can't remember my kids' names but I remember that?
Old 10-23-14, 04:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

63 would be About my freshman year in high school .. graduated into the Drafty world in '66..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-23-14 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-23-14, 05:20 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by walksomemore
You're right - I'm gonna go look at zippies this weekend. I am lusting after a Lynskey Pelaton or 255 right now - a little wider tire geometry to take up to 28's, similar to a chromo feel, and very comfy, but also very pricey (remember, my first 10-speed - my pride and joy in 1972 - was only $80.00). I also found a 2013 Masi Premiare(?) in my size for about a third of retail - all carbon and 105 equipped throughout - I may pull the triggger on that one this weekend.

I don't believe it'll be as nice a road ride as Ti, but it'll be half the money......

...... so, you're from Middle Earth......... I've been there. It's in the Joyce Kilmer Wilderness, right here in western North (by Gawd) Carolina......still looking for the ring.

Thanks!!!
You're close; actually IA is middle earth as far as I can tell, .

Salsa Colossal 2 is worth taking a look at, Colossal 2 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

So is the Soma ES which you can get as a frame or as a complete bike, ES (Complete Bicycle) | SOMA Fabrications

If I were looking for an all-day road bike that takes a 28c tire, these 2 would be on my short list.
Old 12-09-14, 06:04 AM
walksomemore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Resurrection!!!

Well, I dressed up the DB as well as I wanted - Trekkers, racks, bigger tires (put 40's on her), loaded her down and got ready for her 'coming out' party - a 45-miler 2 weeks ago throughout the countryside of lovely SE NC, complete with driving rain, wind, mud, p-o'd dump trucks, two-lanes with no shoulders, and this 32-lb beast. Didn't really anticipate the rain, but what the heck, I hooked up with another club guy (on his carbon steed) and we set off intrepidly. I was so proud with my craftsmanlike mechanical prowess, my attention to both utility and fashion, and my broken-in B17.

Did 45 miles in that chaos, made it back okay, but the bike.....well, the bike......

It's too big. It's just too flippin' BIG for me. When I bought it I hadn't bought a bike since - well, before Cable, so I went by seat tube, not knowing that th bike industry, like big pharma and car insurance, had become a cesspool full of swammies, gypsies, and prognosticators. Okay, it was probably my fault for not knowing how to measure, not theirs. (but Dag, whenever I go into an lbs, I get grabbed, beaten into submission, and forced to pay way too much for something. So I knew if I relied on LBS expertise on this, I'd be leaving there on a diamond-studded Carbontanium health spa on wheels, while the manager stood in the background, smiling and smoking cigarettes in a most satisfied way.....).

But I digress. Point is, with a 22" seat tube, this bike has a 24" (or more) top tube, and it worked me to death. Shame - what a GREAT platform - versatile, dialed in, tough. And I did make decent time on this thing at 16 mph for the run, given the weather. So, sadly, I have stripped her of her majesty and put her back to stock - and she's been assigned a place on my local CL 'til she moves on.

Meanwhile, I had already sold my much-loved Schwinn Traveler, so with the Frankenbike stripped back to neutral I was pretty much back to only my Carbon Masi zoom-zoom-machine - fun but hardly able to tow my humble fortune in old camping gear, vintage music, paraphernalia, and tacky ball caps.

Searching, searching, trying to swap the DB for the same in a smaller frame (unsuccessfully, that is), looking for an acceptable next-great-love, and getting nowhere......I was even considering (the horrors) paying retail for a Bosanova or Cross Check - it was that bad. I looked at Salsas, Surly's, many CL offerings, etc, and just resigned myself to having to feed the retail beast.....commiserating with DeadGrandpa, offering my emotional tin cup to anyone with a sympathetic ear (none found), etc.

Until last week.

So last week, I did a club ride - a wonderful and rewarding 42-miler, on my Masi, where I again succeeded in -- well, going fast for 42 miles without dying at the hands of an undercooked dirt hauler or a mongrel farm dog. Much Fun. And I was so endorphin-infused at the end that actually ate some white bread! Then I stumbled into a bike shop, (shameless plug here) Cycle Dynamics, and ran smack into a very well maintained 1993 Trek 520 for sale in my size at 58cm. Needs some outfitting, and I put some Gatorskin 28's on her instead of hte Hutchinson 23's that were on (the Hutch's will go on Zoom-Zoom when my Kontenders die). I've also added a rear rack and my B17 so far. And I am very pleased so far! I'll convert the steerer to a threadless setup, install some fenders maybe, get the front rack done, and I will be ready for action again!

I also managed to pick up a matching pair of 198X (I think, not sure) Raleigh Olympian bikes, one men's 59cm and one ladies 53cm classic Mixte. Really I only wanted the Mixte, but he would only sell 'em as a set.....so what's an aging John Lennon to do? Both DOA, but beauteous and full of potential! They are HEAVY - but I can fix that if I get rid of all the chrome-plated steel butt-jewelry hanging off of 'em.... And with a few days' love and a few bucks worth of cable, grease, rubber, and aluminum, they will be at the head of the parade!

So I am back from the purgatorious zone! Funny how that wheel of fortune - the one you learn about in Freshman English, not the one with Vanna - keeps rolling along. I hate to see the DB go, but I am glad to welcome my new 520!

Hell, I might even get cable now.......

Cheers!
Attached Images
520a.jpg (39.8 KB, 22 views)
520b.jpg (42.4 KB, 21 views)
raleigh2.jpg (91.9 KB, 20 views)
raleigh3.jpg (37.2 KB, 19 views)
raleigh1.jpg (40.2 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by walksomemore; 12-09-14 at 06:41 AM.