Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for a minimalist seatbag

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-19-22, 06:21 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts

I have a spurcycle roll-top seat bag that has worked out pretty well but it's starting to crack and it looks like they don't make them anymore. Looking for something that does not attach to the seatpost and fits fairly close to the bottom of the seat since I have a Cycliq fly camera and a small rear light I need to fit on the post under the bag. I don't carry much; 1 tube, levers, CO2 cartridge and inflator, Allen wrench for thru-axle, a couple of surgical gloves, and a disposable wipe or two.

Considering the following:
Arundel Uno
Lezyne Road Caddy
Silca seat roll assymetrico (The Premio seems to no longer be available)
Silca Mattone
Blackburn Grid

Anyone have any feedback on the above bags or have something else to suggest?

On a side note, anyone have suggestions for a compact tubeless plug/repair kit?
Old 10-19-22, 06:30 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
Silca Mattone - that is what I use on all 3 of my bikes both tubeless and tubed bikes. Not too big has boa and fits just right on the saddle.
Old 10-19-22, 06:37 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Yeah, the Silca Mattone is great recco based on the OP’s needs— I use one, too!— but also the Cyckit Aeroclam fit’s the bill as well (I run two of those!).

Cyckit Aeroclam P2 on Fizik Aliante R3

Silca Mattone on San Marco Shortfit Racing
Old 10-19-22, 06:42 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13639 Post(s)
Liked 4,449 Times in 2,470 Posts
I have a Road Caddy that I've used on road bikes and gravel bikes. Tucks up tight against the saddle. Holds plenty of repair gear (see below). And has been durable.

Loaded up here with; road tube, 2 Co2, air chuck, Park IB-3, tire boot, patch kit.
Likes For rjones28:
Old 10-19-22, 06:50 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,113 Posts
I used the Lezyne Road Caddy as well, and it's fine. I have since ditched saddle bags altogether and keep my essentials in my middle rear pocket.
Old 10-19-22, 08:53 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
Here you go. And unlike the Silca option, it doesn't rely on an overly-complicated (i.e., failure prone) Boa system.

This tubeless plug kit is inexpensive, small, and works like any other. I've had mine for 3.5 years and the plug strips are still sticky and perfectly usable.
Old 10-19-22, 10:24 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I've been satisfied with the Lezyne Road Caddy for a few years. No problems. Holds up well. Packs more than I'd expected, although I had to switch to a smaller CO2 chuck and flatter multitool, and Continental's lightest, thinnest butyl tube (Race Lite?). But it all fits.
Old 10-20-22, 12:36 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Another vote for the road caddy

It’s been great
Old 10-20-22, 05:03 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I have a spurcycle roll-top seat bag that has worked out pretty well but it's starting to crack and it looks like they don't make them anymore. Looking for something that does not attach to the seatpost and fits fairly close to the bottom of the seat since I have a Cycliq fly camera and a small rear light I need to fit on the post under the bag. I don't carry much; 1 tube, levers, CO2 cartridge and inflator, Allen wrench for thru-axle, a couple of surgical gloves, and a disposable wipe or two.

Considering the following:
Arundel Uno
?
Consider the Arundel Pico instead. I like it a lot and it seems waterproof (vs the Uno) -- I think it's the same size. I have what you mention in mine.
Old 10-20-22, 05:47 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Another option is the Orucase 25 Holds quite a bit and is very secure to the saddle rails.
Old 10-20-22, 07:32 AM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Make sure to do your research with the Aeroclam mentioned above. I looked into it a couple of years ago and they only supported certain saddles at the time. Things may have changed though.

I use the Road Caddy and it works great for me.
Old 10-20-22, 07:39 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by rjones28
I have a Road Caddy
Originally Posted by datlas
I used the Lezyne Road Caddy as well, and it's fine.
Originally Posted by canklecat
I've been satisfied with the Lezyne Road Caddy for a few years. No problems.
Originally Posted by Symox
It’s been great
After all this praise, I googled the Road Caddy. It looks pretty great, and it's light and inexpensive. Probably worth a shot -- esp since everything else I've bought from Lezyne has been pretty great.
Old 10-20-22, 07:43 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10899 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Speedsleev Ranger. It comes in 3 sizes, 5 different colors, does not attach to the seatpost, and stays in place(no sway). It also uses simple velcro so it is fast to mount or remove and wont fail(like Silca Boa styles used to). The velcro is nowhere close to contacting lycra shorts too, which is important.
I have had this style bag on all my road bikes and gravel bike for almost 3 years now. The large size fits a big 35mm tube, multitool, tire levers, patch kit, chainlink, and co2 inflation.
They are often on sale for under $25.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-20-22, 09:57 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
As an alternative to any bag, I would suggest the Apex Occam strap. The number of items in your kit would be pushing the limits of this attachment method, but it could work. You would probably want to roll up all the smaller items in your tube and then attach this bundle to your seat rails with the strap. It's a very simple, lightweight solution and can be quite secure. I have one and sometimes use it to carry a raincoat somewhere on my bike frame. Mountain bikers use them for all sorts of things, including repair essentials, such as what you're carrying.
Old 10-20-22, 10:08 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Arundel Uno
I have an Arundel Dual on two of my bikes, and it checks all your boxes. So if the Uno can really accomodate everything you need to carry, it's even smaller than the Dual so definitely should be near the top of your list.
Old 10-20-22, 10:19 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
+1 for the Road Caddy, keep 2 x CO2, 1 x tube, Topeak mini ratchet and patch kit in mine.
Old 10-20-22, 10:35 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1356 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts

one of my 'hobbies' is accumulating small seat packs lol

I used the Cannondale seat pack at top right for years ; held multitool, tube, two levers, patch kit, two co2 cartridges, qwickfill, etc

had a small leather strap sewn on to the back part of the pack so I could attach a small taillight (at the time seat packs did not have these attachments)

the three packs bottom left (and top / second from right) are slim/narrow packs that have a 'vertical' profile when installed

Last edited by t2p; 10-20-22 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-20-22, 11:02 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
There are really lots of good options nowadays, which is quite different from the way it used to be not-so-many years ago.

I think one has to go out of their way to find a small saddle bag with faults, whereas it used to be that even top brands could have problems, like too long velcro straps that would furl at the ends, bags which weren’t secure and would sway on the bike, weren’t water-resistant let alone waterproof, or had crummy construction.

The other thing which makes it hard to go wrong is that we generally just don’t use bags as heavily as we used to. Bike quality is better, so we’re not in-and-out of the bag as much, and with things like smartphones and tubeless tires, we don’t need to carry as much either, so seat packs don’t need to meet the same demands.
Old 10-20-22, 11:31 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Blackburn Grid on the roadie is nice and slim. I use Almsther on the gravel rig since the tube is larger, but same style.

I hate bags that need a velcro strap on the seat post. Often leaves rubbing marks over times. Only exception is apidura bike packing style bag there the seatpost strap is very secure and doesn't rub.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 10-20-22, 12:27 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by t2p

one of my 'hobbies' is accumulating small seat packs lol

You've made me feel better about my collection.
Old 10-20-22, 12:30 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It also uses simple velcro so it is fast to mount or remove and wont fail(like Silca Boa styles used to).
This is an important criterion for me. I have a pair of MTB shoes on which the Boas need to be replaced (one or the other) waaay too frequently...And after a ride last night, my friend's Boa dial completely detached from his shoe -- the mounting part just tore loose. And yet, I still have a pair of 17-year old Shimano road shoes with velcro straps that still work perfectly.

The Boa dial is a solution in search of a problem, and not even a very good one. Having a seatbag's Boa dial fail in the middle of a race would be a real PITA.
Old 10-20-22, 03:32 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Originally Posted by Koyote
Having a seatbag's Boa dial fail in the middle of a race would be a real PITA.
How many races allow you to have a seatbag?
Old 10-20-22, 05:02 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
How many races allow you to have a seatbag?
I’ve never heard of a race that does not allow them.

Have you ever looked at the rigs that people ride in long gravel races like Unbound? Large saddlebags, frame bags, and top tube bags are not at all uncommon — often one of each on a bike.

I’m curious why you think that saddlebags would be disallowed in races. After all, race directors have strong interests in everyone making it back to the finish line under their own power.

Last edited by Koyote; 10-20-22 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-20-22, 06:23 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Originally Posted by Koyote
I’m curious why you think that saddlebags would be disallowed in races. After all, race directors have strong interests in everyone making it back to the finish line under their own power.
Century Road Club Association, the organization that hosts all the local licensed criterium and stage races in my neck of the woods, explicitly forbids lights, pumps, or saddle bags on participants' bikes during road races. I just assumed that was standard protocol for all such licensed races.
(Admittedly I have no idea what standard protocol for off-road races might be.)
Old 10-20-22, 06:41 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Century Road Club Association, the organization that hosts all the local licensed criterium and stage races in my neck of the woods, explicitly forbids lights, pumps, or saddle bags on participants' bikes during road races. I just assumed that was standard protocol for all such licensed races.
(Admittedly I have no idea what standard protocol for off-road races might be.)
Interesting! Looks like mostly crits and hill climbing events? If so, I can understand the rules. Short frenetic races on loops don't really call for tools -- a breakdown just requires the rider to walk back to the start line. Though when I was racing crits (not in your neck of the woods) I don't recall ever seeing such rules -- but I never would've carried a seatbag on a mile-long circuit anyway. But in real road races (30-80 miles), yeah, I always carried supplies to fix a flat. I would usually have spare wheels in a wheel wagon, but that only helps if you're in the lead group -- and, um, I sometimes wasn't.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.