Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

One more excuse to skip riding when it's cold

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

One more excuse to skip riding when it's cold

Old 12-08-22, 12:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
But it is indeed question of limiting exercise. If you confine yourself indoors during the cold season your daily activity levels are going to plummet.
Well, yeah.

I'm assuming you didn't read the article. Or if you did you didn't pay attention. The title and end conclusion aren't actually based on the science the article refers to. The actual studies do not discuss exercise at all. They study the effects of cold weather to mortality and other health indicators and outcomes. The actual conclusions of said studies are that cold weather increases mortality. But no mention of exercise.

The science does. It's all about the cold weather. It's unclear whether exercise has an added effect because the studies referenced in the article do not discuss that. But perhaps you know better as exertion clearly exacerbate or whatever..

Umm... so uuh.. people heat up when they move. The more they move the more they heat up. So if breathing during exercise was actually going to cause hypothermia you'd need to be A) severely under dressed and/or B) it'd needs to be extremely cold out. Like, insanely cold.

I'm getting the feeling you're not well versed with cold weather.

I feel that you wanted believe I wrote something that you could slap away so hard that you didn't actually comprehend what I wrote. But having seen some of your other "discussions" here that wouldn't be the first. Or perhaps you just got triggered by the elliptical. But the fact remains that if you have a serious cardiovascular condition then you should be careful during the cold season. If you don't you should NOT limit your outside activities and daily active lifestyle just because it's cold out. That decrease in daily activity will have a larger negative impact than the cold will. Partly because being active and exercising directly combats against the health risks cold weather increases.

Now if you're a freezy kitten (it's a direct translation of a saying) and don't like the cold, well then you don't. Just don't use "health concerns" as an excuse why you can't go winter cycling or running or whatever. You just don't want to. And that's fine too.
Haven't damaged my lungs yet even pushing zone 5 at -40. Can't really avoid the zones 4 or 5 when XC-skiing.
Eh. Only if you want to be aerodynamic. I don't so dressing warmly enough but not too warmly isn't at all difficult. Layering and swapping layers helps. I usually sligthly overdress when going out so I'm not at all cold when I start moving and remove a layer after I start feeling just a tiny bit hot. That has worked fine for rides up to six hours.
Back on the topic of the article I did have a good laugh about the mention that up to 50% of top level XC-skiers, hockey players etc. have exercise induced asthma. I mean, of course they do. Salbutamol is a fantastic doping drug so of course you want to use it if you can (XC skiing is just as dirty as cycling). The naivete of that statement in the article was almost endearing.
I grew up in Minnesota and I live in New England. Since I've also lived in New Orleans, I'm very well versed in extreme temperatures at both ends and have plenty of experience exercising in such conditions.

So I reproduced the quote I objected to in the first place just to show how far off the beam you have gone--that activity levels are going to "plummet" if you follow your version of what this article is recommending; or something. Honestly, you seem to be arguing now that the "science" as you understand it, proves too much, and that the real recommendation this article should have been making based on the literature is not to go outside at all. Obviously, that's absurd and is completely unsupported by the very same articles--no, they don't clearly identify the statistical cause of the increased rates of death in cold weather but that's because that data most likely doesn't exist. You've taken the fuzziness of population-level data and concluded from it that you should take from that fuzziness the broadest interpretation of the implications possible. What we do know is that cold has a certain number of effects on individuals, primarily but not exclusively CV and respiratory, and that there is a subset of the population who has limited ability to physically cope with those types of effects. You want to argue that people with heart disease don't have to worry about a factor that's going to increase the amount of CV effort needed to produce the same results, knock yourself out.

Yes, exercise warms the body. That is heat is energy expended by your body, and your CV and other systems are working hard to generate it. The point is your body expended a lot more energy getting up to those warm temperatures than it would if the air temperature was warmer, so your heart is working harder at baseline already and you're now increasing the load on it higher than you would normally.

As to the lungs, your logic is completely off the wall. It is absolutely undeniable that cold dry air would be incredibly irritating to the lungs if the body did not have mechanisms for warming and humidifying that air as it's inspired. That's the reason most people's noses run in the cold The more you inhale and exhale, the closer you get to the boundaries of the body's ability to do such regulation. I don't doubt for a second that most people can train up to increasing their capacity to do this, in a former life, I have done such things. I now can't because the scar tissue in my lung appears to be irritated more easily. I honestly don't care if you think that's a valid excuse, I don't know why you think you're qualified to tell other people much of anything about what does or doesn't constitute a "health reason".

I waited until my cardiac testing showed that I had suffered no significant coronary damage from my clot-induced heart attack before I started back to intense exercise, and I'll take my personalized risk assessment from myself rather than you, thank you very much. I do know that my activity does not "plummet" during the winter despite my lack of bicycling activity--if it makes you feel less butthurt that saying that that claim was full of crap and faulting you for basing an entire argument on that absurdity indicates that I was "triggered", fine. I get annoyed when people start making claims that things that happen every day are somehow impossible. If you think activity has to plummet if we don't exercise in the cold, I take it you're unfamiliar with the concept of a gym.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-08-22, 12:34 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I grew up in Minnesota and I live in New England. Since I've also lived in New Orleans, I'm very well versed in extreme temperatures at both ends and have plenty of experience exercising in such conditions.

So I reproduced the quote I objected to in the first place just to show how far off the beam you have gone--that activity levels are going to "plummet" if you follow your version of what this article is recommending; or something. Honestly, you seem to be arguing now that the "science" as you understand it, proves too much, and that the real recommendation this article should have been making based on the literature is not to go outside at all. Obviously, that's absurd and is completely unsupported by the very same articles--no, they don't clearly identify the statistical cause of the increased rates of death in cold weather but that's because that data most likely doesn't exist. You've taken the fuzziness of population-level data and concluded from it that you should take from that fuzziness the broadest interpretation of the implications possible. What we do know is that cold has a certain number of effects on individuals, primarily but not exclusively CV and respiratory, and that there is a subset of the population who has limited ability to physically cope with those types of effects. You want to argue that people with heart disease don't have to worry about a factor that's going to increase the amount of CV effort needed to produce the same results, knock yourself out.

Yes, exercise warms the body. That is heat is energy expended by your body, and your CV and other systems are working hard to generate it. The point is your body expended a lot more energy getting up to those warm temperatures than it would if the air temperature was warmer, so your heart is working harder at baseline already and you're now increasing the load on it higher than you would normally.

As to the lungs, your logic is completely off the wall. It is absolutely undeniable that cold dry air would be incredibly irritating to the lungs if the body did not have mechanisms for warming and humidifying that air as it's inspired. That's the reason most people's noses run in the cold The more you inhale and exhale, the closer you get to the boundaries of the body's ability to do such regulation. I don't doubt for a second that most people can train up to increasing their capacity to do this, in a former life, I have done such things. I now can't because the scar tissue in my lung appears to be irritated more easily. I honestly don't care if you think that's a valid excuse, I don't know why you think you're qualified to tell other people much of anything about what does or doesn't constitute a "health reason".

I waited until my cardiac testing showed that I had suffered no significant coronary damage from my clot-induced heart attack before I started back to intense exercise, and I'll take my personalized risk assessment from myself rather than you, thank you very much. I do know that my activity does not "plummet" during the winter despite my lack of bicycling activity--if it makes you feel less butthurt that saying that that claim was full of crap and faulting you for basing an entire argument on that absurdity indicates that I was "triggered", fine. I get annoyed when people start making claims that things that happen every day are somehow impossible. If you think activity has to plummet if we don't exercise in the cold, I take it you're unfamiliar with the concept of a gym.
You're inventing so much stuff and frankly lying... it's almost as if we're not in the same reality.

I don't currently have time to tackle your wookie defense but I'll see if I can revisit this sometime later.

It's just sad that you have such a strong compulsion to be right or "win" internet arguments that it drives you to create such a jumbled mess. But again, I'm not surprised. I've seen your other "discussions"
Old 12-08-22, 01:19 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

You're inventing so much stuff and frankly lying... it's almost as if we're not in the same reality.

I don't currently have time to tackle your wookie defense but I'll see if I can revisit this sometime later.

It's just sad that you have such a strong compulsion to be right or "win" internet arguments that it drives you to create such a jumbled mess. But again, I'm not surprised. I've seen your other "discussions"
Honestly, this is hilarious coming from you.. All I said was that it wasn't an issue of limiting exercise because people can do plenty of exercise indoors in the winter and you started us down this silly rabbit hole by claiming that the article a) was about not going outside at all in the winter, and then when that was obviously not the case, arguing b) that it should have been about that given its sources and further that I should have known that the hypothetical case for not going outside was what this thread was "really" about..

Seriously, don't bother "finding" time to go off on another of your silly tangents. I don't have any reason to read it and won't. I've read enough of your posts to know you have nothing interesting to say.

Last edited by livedarklions; 12-08-22 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-08-22, 01:30 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 219 Posts
Honestly, this is hilarious coming from you.. All I said was that it wasn't an issue of limiting exercise because people can do plenty of exercise indoors in the winter and you started us down this silly rabbit hole by claiming that the article a) was about not going outside at all in the winter, and then when that was obviously not the case, arguing b) that it should have been about that given its sources and further that I should have known that the hypothetical case for not going outside was what this thread was "really" about..

Seriously, don't bother "finding" time to go off on another of your silly tangents. I don't have any reason to read it and won't. I've read enough of your posts to know you have nothing interesting to say.
Techincally you haven't read a single one of my posts. At least not more than three lines of each paragraph. Like you didn't read the article.

But I suppose this is what you do. You go off from a single harmless comment and go on these incomprehensible rants until other people give up and you can declare yourself the victor.
Old 12-08-22, 01:57 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
You know it's cold outside when you go outside and it's cold.

Here's a better article than the one Terry posted from some quack looking for clicks.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...inter-workouts
Old 12-08-22, 02:21 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
Not a BF censor approved video... but given the discussion, I think it needs to be posted again. And I can't wait for my femur fracture to heal enough that I can get back out on my Fat Tire Bike.
And if you think cold is going to harm you,or if your medical provider has told you to avoid exercise in the cold, follow the simple instructions in the video. If not, come outside and join the fun and help me keep my sidewalk clear...
Old 12-08-22, 03:10 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Another thread headed in this direction:

Old 12-08-22, 03:26 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
You know it's cold outside when you go outside and it's cold.

Here's a better article than the one Terry posted from some quack looking for clicks.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...inter-workouts
"Better article", hmm.

Comparing the two web pages, only the Mirkin one references peer-reviewed journal articles to back up its claims.

Old 12-08-22, 03:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Not a BF censor approved video... but given the discussion, I think it needs to be posted again. And I can't wait for my femur fracture to heal enough that I can get back out on my Fat Tire Bike.
And if you think cold is going to harm you,or if your medical provider has told you to avoid exercise in the cold, follow the simple instructions in the video. If not, come outside and join the fun and help me keep my sidewalk clear...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAq1Ml3PlGc

I grew up in Minnesota, and there is nothing colder than Great Plains cold. Ain't nothing stopping that wind. Fargo is scary cold to Minnesotans.
Old 12-09-22, 09:42 AM
prj71

Guys,

Me and some friends went out biking in 15 degree weather last night. And to make matters worse...we rode our bikes on frozen lakes!!! None of us died.

Had we went to McDonalds instead, where it's warm, and threw back a couple of quarter pounders and fries we would have increased our chances of dying.

Likes For prj71:
Old 12-09-22, 10:37 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Guys,

Me and some friends went out biking in 15 degree weather last night. And to make matters worse...we rode our bikes on frozen lakes!!! None of us died.

Had we went to McDonalds instead, where it's warm, and threw back a couple of quarter pounders and fries we would have increased our chances of dying.

Probably the most dangerous part of this activity is having drunk snowmobilers collide with you.
Old 12-09-22, 10:48 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Lombard
Probably the most dangerous part of this activity is having drunk snowmobilers collide with you.
Huh? Where does that come from?
Old 12-09-22, 10:51 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Huh? Where does that come from?
Not sure if that's a thing where you are, but racing snowmobiles at night on lakes in the Adirondacks is quite common.
Old 12-09-22, 11:13 AM
prj71

Not sure if that's a thing where you are, but racing snowmobiles at night on lakes in the Adirondacks is quite common.
It's a thing where the designated snowmobile trail cross the lakes in certain parts of my state. However...not a thing where we ride and the numerous pot hole lakes we cross in the county forest. No snowmobiles where we ride.
Old 12-09-22, 11:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It's a thing where the designated snowmobile trail cross the lakes in certain parts of my state. However...not a thing where we ride and the numerous pot hole lakes we cross in the county forest. No snowmobiles where we ride.

Being in Wisconsin, your biggest safety threat is encountering cannibals.

Sorry, couldn't resist the cheap shot since I'm from Minnesota,
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-09-22, 11:39 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Sounds cheesy.
Old 12-09-22, 11:54 AM
prj71

Lol...they keep the cannibals in Milwaukee. I'm in the northern part of the state that is sparsely populated.
Likes For prj71:
Old 12-09-22, 12:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Lol...they keep the cannibals in Milwaukee. I'm in the northern part of the state that is sparsely populated.

Was it always sparsely populated or did the cannibals get take out?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-09-22, 12:57 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts

Hodags.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 12-09-22, 01:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Sounds cheesy.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-09-22, 01:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz

The cheese is moldy and not in a good way.

NFC NORTH STANDINGS
________________W L T
Minnesota Vikings_ 10 2 0
Detroit Lions______ 5 7 0
Green Bay Packers _5 8 0
Chicago Bears ____3 10 0

Eagles Vikings championship game?
Old 12-09-22, 01:32 PM
indyfabz

I grew up in Minnesota, and there is nothing colder than Great Plains cold. Ain't nothing stopping that wind. Fargo is scary cold to Minnesotans.
Some of us were amazed when we realized that we spent two weeks in Minnesota while riding across the country. That was second only to Montana. Crossed into Moorhead from Fargo and headed NE to Bemidji before heading SSE until we crossed the border into IA below Brownsville. Had a rest day at Lake Itasca and one in Minneapolis. The day we rode to Lake Itasca was wet and quite chilly--in early July. Riding along the east side of Mille Lacs Lake we passed a lot full of what we finally realized were ice fishing huts. No thanks.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-09-22, 01:36 PM
indyfabz

Eagles Vikings championship game?
Rematch of 2018. A fan punched a police horse in the face outside the stadium. Because Philly. At least he didn't eat horse manure like one fan did at the Super Bowl celebration in center city.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-09-22, 01:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
Some of us were amazed when we realized that we spent two weeks in Minnesota while riding across the country. That was second only to Montana. Crossed into Moorhead from Fargo and headed NE to Bemidji before heading SSE until we crossed the border into IA below Brownsville. Had a rest day at Lake Itasca and one in Minneapolis. The day we rode to Lake Itasca was wet and quite chilly--in early July. Riding along the east side of Mille Lacs Lake we passed a lot full of what we finally realized were ice fishing huts. No thanks.
My brother married a Minnesota girl, in a morning ceremony on the shore of Lake Bemidji. It was really cold and windy.

In June.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-09-22, 02:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

. Riding along the east side of Mille Lacs Lake we passed a lot full of what we finally realized were ice fishing huts. No thanks.
Ice fishing is just an excuse to sit in a box and do nothing but drink.
Likes For livedarklions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.