Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Transporting a guitar

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Transporting a guitar

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-22, 04:39 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Transporting a guitar

I was thinking the other day that about the only time I take the car out for a short journey these days is when I have to go down to the church when I'm playing in the band or for practice. We live about a mile away and I have a vintage Ovation guitar with a very solid case, and the combination is just too heavy for me to walk with it for that distance. So I was wondering about buying a cargo trailer, ideally to tow behind the Brompton if that will work, but I've got several bikes to choose from. A guitar is rather longer than the sort of package you normally put on a cargo trailer, though. Does anyone have experience of doing this, or any suggestions for a trailer that will work?

Thanks.
Old 12-15-22, 04:53 AM
zaje

Bikes: Ridley XBow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
I would opt for case with backpack straps, you can get soft or hard cases: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crossrock-C.../dp/B017XDI9KY
Likes For zaje:
Old 12-15-22, 06:22 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
Any child trailer should allow you to strap it in largely upright, so it doesn't overhang the trailer.

But as zaje mentioned, carrying the guitar with a backpack case/bag will make your life a lot easier whether you and cycling or walking.

Alternatively, can you just leave a guitar there for practice?
Old 12-15-22, 07:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
But as zaje mentioned, carrying the guitar with a backpack case/bag will make your life a lot easier whether you and cycling or walking.
I have seen people riding with guitar's strapped to their backs.

Seems like it would provide shock absorption versus a trailer.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-15-22, 08:02 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have seen people riding with guitar's strapped to their backs.

Seems like it would provide shock absorption versus a trailer.
That there are Ovation guitars old enough to be referred to as "vintage" came as a bit of a shock.
Old 12-15-22, 08:11 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1395 Post(s)
Liked 1,870 Times in 1,075 Posts
BOB trailer ?

could place the hard case directly in the trailer

or maybe pack the hard case in a large cardboard box (similar to new box bike) and then have an additional layer of protection
Old 12-15-22, 08:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Backpack adapter for your existing case:

https://www.amazon.com/Walker-Willia...ustomerReviews

I have no idea if it works well or not, but it would seem an easier and cheaper solution than a trailer.
Old 12-15-22, 08:53 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
A high quality gig bag with shoulder straps might work. I'm a double bassist, and have no choice but to use a soft case, and forget about the bike. But I've never damaged a bass in its case, in 40 years.

Or... a second guitar for the church, if it's always the same location. If you're playing in one of those modern churches, where your guitar is amplified anyway, then a guitar that amplifies well might be all you need.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 12-15-22, 10:33 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
That there are Ovation guitars old enough to be referred to as "vintage" came as a bit of a shock.
They were new on the market in about 1967 or '68 when I was shopping for my first new guitar.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 12-15-22, 12:04 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4933 Post(s)
Liked 8,072 Times in 3,815 Posts
My choice would be a soft case (gig bag) with backpack straps.
Old 12-15-22, 12:06 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by Herzlos
Alternatively, can you just leave a guitar there for practice?
I would never do that with one of my instruments, unless it was locked up somewhere that only I had access to, and I still probably wouldn't.
Old 12-15-22, 12:11 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
any suggestions for a trailer that will work?
I think they're discontinued, but maybe a used BOB Yak trailer?

Ovation started in 1966, so their early models certainly qualify. I remember Glen Campbell endorsed them in 1969. They're not my cuppa, but it would be cool to have one of his signature models from BITD.
Old 12-15-22, 12:59 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I've carried my vintage Ibanez guitar in a soft-sided backpack style case many times.
Old 12-15-22, 01:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
I would probably look at a Surly Trailer or a Burley Flatbed and strapping it to that. Ovations are quite nice guitars!
Old 12-15-22, 02:04 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,438 Times in 988 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
They were new on the market in about 1967 or '68 when I was shopping for my first new guitar.
Brent
From my knowledge its not so much the age, but Ovation's unique design with the plastic rounded back (whatever it was, correct me if you can) was considered a disaster. Its incredicle to me when I see one that old that's still in playable shape. Those guitars were known for breaking at the neck attachment point and top would peel away from the body. Glen Campell was known to carry extras on tour due to these types of problems when he was their spokesperson.
Old 12-15-22, 02:04 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I would never do that with one of my instruments, unless it was locked up somewhere that only I had access to, and I still probably wouldn't.
I wouldn't do it with a *good* instrument, but I'd be happy enough if I had a cheap / spare one to leave there. Then bring a good one for actual shows.
Old 12-15-22, 02:14 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Gig bag with dual straps as mentioned several times above. Clean and simple.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 12-15-22, 02:22 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Switch to ukelele?
Old 12-15-22, 03:15 PM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by Rolla
Ovation started in 1966, so their early models certainly qualify. I remember Glen Campbell endorsed them in 1969. They're not my cuppa, but it would be cool to have one of his signature models from BITD.
Yes, I knew Ovations were being manufactured back then. Guitar shops in my home town of New Haven had a bunch of them, since the factory was just a few miles north of Hartford. "Shock" mostly referred to passage-of-time whiplash from being abruptly reminded of how old I am.

[Edit] I believe John Hartford endorsed them even earlier. Some of the local New Haven folkies were pretty catty about that - "They couldn't pay me enough to give up my D-18!" and so on. The moderates among those guys gossiped that John H. used the Ovations on stage but never otherwise.

Last edited by Trakhak; 12-15-22 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-15-22, 03:23 PM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Yes, I knew Ovations were being manufactured back then. Guitar shops in my home town of New Haven had a bunch of them, since the factory was just a few miles north of Hartford. "Shock" mostly referred to passage-of-time whiplash from being abruptly reminded of how old I am.

[Edit] I believe John Hartford endorsed them even earlier. Some of the local New Haven folkies were pretty catty about that - "They couldn't pay me enough to give up my D-18!" and so on. The moderates among those guys gossiped that John H. used the Ovations on stage but never otherwise.
They were better than my Silvertone...ho ho ho!!

Seems like over time the plastic and wood didn't age together well.
Old 12-15-22, 03:28 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
"Shock" mostly referred to passage-of-time whiplash from being abruptly reminded of how old I am.
I hear ya. They say that "vintage" can mean anything that's 30 years old, but to me 30 years ago was 1972, not 1992.

I believe John Hartford endorsed them even earlier. Some of the local New Haven folkies were pretty catty about that - "They couldn't pay me enough to give up my D-18!" and so on. The moderates among those guys gossiped that John H. used the Ovations on stage but never otherwise.
Given his background in bluegrass, that's kind of surprising. Those guys are usually such purists.

You've probably seen the online battles on the guitar forums even today -- Ovations don't get a lot of love, but their fanbase is quite enthusiastic.

(Apologies for the digression, OP)
Likes For Rolla:
Old 12-15-22, 05:58 PM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
They were better than my Silvertone...ho ho ho!!

Seems like over time the plastic and wood didn't age together well.
Best of luck to the OP in solving the guitar transportation problem. (Although it is only 1 mile to the church. Roller blades, guitar in one hand?)

Now - back to the digression.

I won't hear anything against my early '60s Sears Silvertone dolphin-nose model 1440 bass - equipped with one lipstick pickup and constructed of the finest virgin Masonite. It looks just like the simple drawings of guitars that were once featured in Yellow Pages ads for clubs with Live Music!, along with tilted champagne glasses.

Did You Know: Danelectro six-string basses (also marketed with the Sears Silvertone label) were used extensively in country music recording sessions in the '50s into the '60s, providing the "tic-tac" definition needed to make upright basses audible in tinny car radio speakers.

One more: after Leo Fender learned that Danelectro basses were being used that way, he and his designers came up with a much fancier version, a prototype of which he presented to session guitarist Harold Bradley for use in Bradley's Barn, the recording studio run by Harold's brother Owen.

Harold brought it to the next recording session. About a minute into the session, Owen stopped the tape and asked, "What's that you're playing?" Harold said proudly, "My new Fender Bass VI!" Owen said, "Get the other one."
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 12-15-22, 06:18 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Best of luck to the OP in solving the guitar transportation problem. (Although it is only 1 mile to the church. Roller blades, guitar in one hand?)

Now - back to the digression.

I won't hear anything against my early '60s Sears Silvertone dolphin-nose model 1440 bass - equipped with one lipstick pickup and constructed of the finest virgin Masonite. It looks just like the simple drawings of guitars that were once featured in Yellow Pages ads for clubs with Live Music!, along with tilted champagne glasses.

Did You Know: Danelectro six-string basses (also marketed with the Sears Silvertone label) were used extensively in country music recording sessions in the '50s into the '60s, providing the "tic-tac" definition needed to make upright basses audible in tinny car radio speakers.

One more: after Leo Fender learned that Danelectro basses were being used that way, he and his designers came up with a much fancier version, a prototype of which he presented to session guitarist Harold Bradley for use in Bradley's Barn, the recording studio run by Harold's brother Owen.

Harold brought it to the next recording session. About a minute into the session, Owen stopped the tape and asked, "What's that you're playing?" Harold said proudly, "My new Fender Bass VI!" Owen said, "Get the other one."
I have a Reverend Rumblefish bass. It's essentially a more modern version of the Dano/Silvertone construction method. It's a really nice instrument.
Old 12-15-22, 07:37 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I think they're discontinued, but maybe a used BOB.
Correct. They have been discontinued.

I have one in my basement I’m willing to part with for, say, $1 million dollars. Free shipping included.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-16-22, 12:16 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
The zipperred padded gig bag with backpack like straps seems like the best solution.

The other viable solution that has also been previously mentioned is a large enough enclosed child trailer.
You could possibly make that do-able if you were to get a large amount of dense thick seat upholstery foam from some place like JOANNES fabrics or from a local auto upholstery shop, etc..
The main thing is to wrap or "blanket" your existing hard shell guitar case with this three inch to four inch thick upholstery foam and then stuff it into the enclosed child trailer so that it is snuggly inside the trailer and cannot bounce or flop around. This should be adequate enough to allow you to carry it in the enclosed child trailer without any worries.

I rather like the old Ovation guitars. Their sound is unique. Jagger played one almost every night on the Stones' 1981 US Tour on a song or two.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.