Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

R8170 Battery Life.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

R8170 Battery Life.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-23, 06:15 AM
rublow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
R8170 Battery Life.

Hi,
probably anyone is aware of the fact, the new Ultegra battery life for wireless connection is around 1000km. However, I am looking for the actual data/test conditions on how this distance has been determined.
I've checked tech spec, searched in the internet, even wrote to Shimano (no answer ), and I haven't found anything reliable.
Only here (https://road.cc/content/tech-news/sh...i2-only-285923) there is something more:
That battery is said to last 1,000km (625 miles) between charges, although the exact distance will obviously vary depending on use (if you want the details, Shimano’s calculation is based on riding 45km (28 miles) and two hours per day, with 54 front derailleur shifts and 370 rear derailleur shifts per ride; the temperature is 25°C – hopeful for the UK – and this figure assumes no Bluetooth or ANT+ communications).

Thank you
Old 03-29-23, 10:16 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I don't think you will ever find that data. If I was a manufacturer I wouldn't give it. The figures you posted sound more like marketing speak than anything else. To me there are too many variables to give an actual number. Plus why 1000 km? Why not 1123 km? I will answer my own question, it is because it is easy to round to the closest thousand.

From what I hear you can double the amount of your battery life by wiring the shifters instead of going wireless.

Of course I could be very wrong about this.
Old 03-30-23, 08:44 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6939 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
The battery life is long enough, and the low-battery warnings are so apparent, that the precise battery life is pretty much irrelevant for 99%+ of riders.

Also bear in mind that there is NO precise number, as it depends on how often you shift -- and what you're shifting. FD shifts take significantly more power than RD shifts.
Old 04-03-23, 09:55 AM
rublow

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, that's true what you both said however this is why having this data will give a reference, and from my perspective is crucial. It's a huge difference if it is 1000km in 25degrees with no FD moves, or 1000km in 0 with 500 FD moves...
I am an ultracyclist, and I believe that such framesets as Dogma F, are more to be wireless.
Old 04-03-23, 10:18 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by rublow
Yeah, that's true what you both said however this is why having this data will give a reference, and from my perspective is crucial. It's a huge difference if it is 1000km in 25degrees with no FD moves, or 1000km in 0 with 500 FD moves...
I am an ultracyclist, and I believe that such framesets as Dogma F, are more to be wireless.
As a ultra cyclist battery management in a low temperature environment is an issue regardless and supplemental energy is going to be a requirement regardless. Either with battery packs or dynamo hub as phone, gps, lights all are going to need to be topped up.
Old 04-05-23, 07:26 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
Hi,
probably anyone is aware of the fact, the new Ultegra battery life for wireless connection is around 1000km. However, I am looking for the actual data/test conditions on how this distance has been determined.
I've checked tech spec, searched in the internet, even wrote to Shimano (no answer ), and I haven't found anything reliable.
Only here (https://road.cc/content/tech-news/sh...i2-only-285923) there is something more:
That battery is said to last 1,000km (625 miles) between charges, although the exact distance will obviously vary depending on use (if you want the details, Shimano’s calculation is based on riding 45km (28 miles) and two hours per day, with 54 front derailleur shifts and 370 rear derailleur shifts per ride; the temperature is 25°C – hopeful for the UK – and this figure assumes no Bluetooth or ANT+ communications).

Thank you

I can't imagine shifting the FD 54 times over a 28 mile ride, the RD, based on where you are at, I could see the numbers being high. While I had the 11 speed, my di2 battery lasted a long time, well over 625 miles and I live in Florida, with temps far in excess of 25C. I had the bike for a couple of years and put almost 3100 miles before I sold it, and I think I charged it 3 or 4 times, so lets say I would get 750 to 850 miles a charge.

edit: And even then, when I did charge it, I still had quite a bit of battery left, I just made it a habit of charging once I got down to around 30-40%

Last edited by jaxgtr; 04-05-23 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-05-23, 07:57 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
So I have some real world results for you. I ride a combination of rollers, hill climbing, flats. Pretty much everything and in all kinds of weather except rain and snow. I have been getting the 1,000km battery charge as cited by Shimano. I am sometimes a miser with my shifting, trying to eek out as much battery life as possible and sometimes shifting at will. Because I am interested in battery life between charges, I am tracking the most recent battery charge versus where I am out with KMs on the current charge. When it comes time to charge up the battery again, I will report back and let you know. I have been riding in temperatures ranging from 4 to 13 degrees, although the majority of the rides have been in the single digits. When not riding I am keeping the bike indoors where it is heated.
Old 04-19-23, 01:43 AM
rublow

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
So I have some real world results for you. I ride a combination of rollers, hill climbing, flats. Pretty much everything and in all kinds of weather except rain and snow. I have been getting the 1,000km battery charge as cited by Shimano. I am sometimes a miser with my shifting, trying to eek out as much battery life as possible and sometimes shifting at will. Because I am interested in battery life between charges, I am tracking the most recent battery charge versus where I am out with KMs on the current charge. When it comes time to charge up the battery again, I will report back and let you know. I have been riding in temperatures ranging from 4 to 13 degrees, although the majority of the rides have been in the single digits. When not riding I am keeping the bike indoors where it is heated.
Thank you so much! Have you ever achieved more than 1kkm? I was also wondering if the shifters are operational while charging, like it was in previous generations and how much (more or less) battery can be charged in 20 minutes.

Last edited by rublow; 04-19-23 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-19-23, 07:59 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
Charge time on the battery is not quick. It would take mine, 2 to 3 hours to go from 30% to full charge.

Old 04-19-23, 10:50 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
i'd assume friction to influence battery life too. If the system is gritnasty & caked with mud, it'll drive for harder forceful shifts = more juice required.
Old 04-19-23, 02:58 PM
rublow

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
I don't think you will ever find that data. If I was a manufacturer I wouldn't give it. The figures you posted sound more like marketing speak than anything else. To me there are too many variables to give an actual number. Plus why 1000 km? Why not 1123 km? I will answer my own question, it is because it is easy to round to the closest thousand.

From what I hear you can double the amount of your battery life by wiring the shifters instead of going wireless.

Of course I could be very wrong about this.
I was directed by Terry Seidler from bettershifting.com to the source of the information. It was actually Shimano and press release when the groupset was launched: https://media.shimano-eu.com/en-CEU/...dura-ace-r9200 3. Note on battery consumption:

Approx. 1,000 km. Calculation conditions: Distance: 45km/day, Riding time: 2h/day, FD shifts: 54 times/day, RD shifts: 370 times/day. Not include BLE/ANT+ communications. At 25 degrees C.
Old 04-21-23, 07:13 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
That's sad. I ride up hills (lots of ups and downs so lots of shifting) 90% of the time and my R8070 usually lasts over 2000kms.
Old 04-22-23, 09:58 PM
NoWhammies

Thank you so much! Have you ever achieved more than 1kkm? I was also wondering if the shifters are operational while charging, like it was in previous generations and how much (more or less) battery can be charged in 20 minutes.
Still too early in the season to tell. I can tell you I have 580km on the current charge though. I will let you know when the system alerts me that it is time to charge the Di2 again. I do not know if the shifter are operational while the system is charging. I have not given it a try.
Old 04-26-23, 04:12 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
The 12sp Di2 charges at the RD and I have confirmed that both RD & FD will not function while charging.
The 12sp rim has wired only brifters, resulting in better seatpost battery life.
The 12sp disc has brifters that can be wireless or wired.

Personally, the next time I have to re-tape my bars I'm looking into wiring my ultegra brifters.
Issue being the concealed cables in the stem & frame.
I don't like the idea of having disposable batteries in the brifters.
I'd have been happier if they were the more common CR2032, but Shimano chose the less common & smaller CR1632.
Ultegra & DA get one battery in each brifter, 105 gets two in each..... weird!

Barry
Old 05-14-23, 09:28 PM
NoWhammies

Ok, I have an update for you. My Garmin head unit advised me of a low battery for the Di2 system at 1,182km. I decided to charge the battery then and not let it run down any longer. Hope that helps.
Old 05-15-23, 06:34 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Charge time on the battery is not quick. It would take mine, 2 to 3 hours to go from 30% to full charge.
Mine recharges in about 1 hour (previous gen of DI2 - 11sp) using a fast charger (2A or more). I know Shimano either won't charge, will charge slow or will overheat if recharged on USB ports or with a ''regular'' 0.9A-1A DC output wall charger.

Hi,

Thank you
I don't think that you will find anything. Mine lasts twice as what's advertised and I do ride in mountains so lots of shift and I have cycling buddies who don't have the same luck with theirs. 800kms ridden since last charge and my DI2 battery's SoC is at 50%.

Last edited by eduskator; 05-15-23 at 06:41 AM.