Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Decoding of Eddy Merckx frames

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Decoding of Eddy Merckx frames

Old 09-10-19, 11:57 PM
Saw Crack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
That's great!
Old 09-11-19, 12:57 AM
Fivethumbs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclesMakaron
It took some time, sorry, but finally I remembered where I saw the first EMC codes of the painting. "The frame Lives up to the Name" by EDDY MERCKX 1989 - corrected English version. Seven EMC frames were shown there and the code is given next to each frame. I don't have an original and the resolution of the photos is poor (my eyes too), but (from the left): ADR 88 = AP; Domex 89 = VOP; La William 89 = BJP; TeVe Blad 87 (really it's Lotto 89 ! - I think something went wrong with the 1989 contract) = XP; 7-Eleven 89 = SE; Hitachi = NP; Stuttgart 89 = QP. If anyone has access to this source, please correct it.
Observations: P is probably Pattern, only capital letters are used. Going back to our hero: "Go" or "Co" doesn't fit the style of the team designations; if we add black in places where fuchsia should be, it looks like the frame has been finished in a different painting than Stuttgart's (probably in one "civil" color). However, he did not have to leave the EMC factory in this painting - after a summer "sunbathing" in 1988 she could be painted there on Stuttgart (without changing the original piece of paper on the steering tube) and only then sold in this form. The second version was repainting the frame on the Stuttgart pattern outside the EMC factory in 89/90 - if so, the colors and stickers were carefully selected, but some minor mistakes were made (black instead of fuchsia and traces of using masking tape on seat stays). Both versions of the events are probable, I can not decide which one is true.
Who knows, but thanks for the information! It would be strange for someone to pay to have the frame repainted in perfect Stuttgart colors only to accept the wrong color in the lug cutouts. Also, the black paint on the bottom bracket shows the white paint bleeding through, as if it was not done at the factory. I would not be surprised if the lug cutouts and lettering were left white and someone later filled them in with cheap black paint.
Old 09-11-19, 02:53 AM
CyclesMakaron

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Anything is possible - I don't know when you bought this frame and which you own, maybe "along the way" one of the previous owners in good faith "improved" the previous painting (and not necessarily once).... I have already seen EMC frames painted at least twice. I think the most important thing is that the frame looks good and is carefully maintained, and since it's an SLX, you have a lot of fun driving. Some information is unavailable - we have to live with it

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Old 09-16-19, 11:20 AM
Cmbicycles

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MXL Frame ID

I have currently two merckx bikes, the first is this mxl painted (definitely a repaint) in 7-11 colors. It measures 63x61cm...and has the number hanger so I'm assuming it's a team frame but no idea on original paint. An email to the EM factory earlier this year claimed it was an 89' 7eleven team frame but that no other records exist to substantiate that. If it was a 7-11 team bike I have no idea who would have ridden a bike this large.

I cant post pictures yet, but drive side of BB shell has "L" and non drive has "F 1516"

The other Merckx "Caloi" in Motorola colors is the one we have communicated about on ebay.
Old 09-16-19, 12:02 PM
CyclesMakaron

I don't have good news: Mx Leader started production in 1992 and the F1516 serial number is 1994.... If someone at the current Merckx bicycle manufacturer does not know this and gives absurd information, it is better to forget about this "source". Number hanger is an option available to everyone, not only professional riders.
Old 09-16-19, 06:25 PM
R3tired

Bikes: '79 CIOCC, '80 Cinelli, '86 DeRosa, '93 Bianchi EL-OS, '13 Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Great thread. i have wondered what year mine is. i have 7A on the left and E8931 on the right. any info would be great.

Old 09-16-19, 10:49 PM
CyclesMakaron

Eddy Merckx (Professional) 1984, Columbus SL/SP
Old 09-17-19, 07:34 PM
Cmbicycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclesMakaron
I don't have good news: Mx Leader started production in 1992 and the F1516 serial number is 1994.... If someone at the current Merckx bicycle manufacturer does not know this and gives absurd information, it is better to forget about this "source". Number hanger is an option available to everyone, not only professional riders.
I knew production started later. This bike doesnt have the mxl sticker, possibly due to repaint, but it is definitely built with max tubes. I have also seen a couple bikes labeled as Corsa's but built with Max tubes.

Once I get my 10 posts, I'll put up a picture or two.

This thread has lots of good information so thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm curious of your background, did you work with EMC, or just an afficianado sharing what you have put together?
Old 09-17-19, 11:03 PM
CyclesMakaron

There were two models in which Columbus Max was used. In the years 1990-1992 Eddy Merckx Max was produced, which since 1991 was labeled as Corsa Extra. From 1992 onwards, the Mx Leader model was produced, clearly modified compared to the Corsa Extra Max model (modified lugs, top tube from the Minimax set, rear tubes from Columbus SLX). I didn't work for EMC, I'm just an amateur (and a bit accidental) of the brand - all my data and findings come from publicly available sources.

Last edited by CyclesMakaron; 09-18-19 at 12:11 PM. Reason: rear tube -> rear tubes
Old 09-18-19, 11:22 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,127 Posts
Unfortunately I do not own a Merckx, but would like to thank you nonetheless for all the time and work you have put into this very worthwhile effort.
Brent
Old 09-18-19, 12:22 PM
CyclesMakaron

Thank you very much; I have a lot of fun at it. Buy a Merckx, you will give me a chance to be wise again
Likes For CyclesMakaron:
Old 10-23-19, 11:14 AM
velopackrat

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
CyclesMakaron, wow, you sir, are a wealth of Eddy information. Two questions if I may:

1. Can you date my all blue, no chrome F6482 with a '0' and an '8' on the other side of the BB. By my measure, a 58x58 ? It seems to be SL or SP, no rifling inside the seat tube, flat fork crown. A 1982 Professional?

2. What is your story, or is there already an answer to this and I missed it?

I would include a photo of it but I've not made enough posts on this forum
Old 10-23-19, 01:03 PM
CyclesMakaron

1) something is definitely wrong with the signs: E6482 - 1983; F6482 - 1995; similarly "08" would be very unusual (although I have already seen it on one frame). A good photo would definitely be nice...
2) I don't know if I described here a sad history of my "possession by EMC". - nothing special, pure coincidence.
3) I invite you to read and watch my other threads - Thank you.
Old 10-24-19, 07:42 AM
velopackrat

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Jacek,

Well, I looked again and also took photographs and the letter I thought was an "F" is most probably an "E". I'll keep posting so I can share images...
When the frames were designated SP/SL, which tubes were SP? Only the seat tube or others also?

I found this Eddy locally but it's not my size unfortunately. I also own a Motorola replica TSX that fits and it's a keeper.

Many Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-24-19, 11:28 AM
CyclesMakaron

In bicycle frames above size 56, EMC replaced SL tubes with SP tubes, starting from the bottom tube and ending with seat tube (in my frame from 1980 -57cm - top and down tubes are marked SP, seat tube: SL - 27.2 seat post)
TSX is on my shopping list (Century or Corsa Extra) - not available yet.... so I envy you
If this is the E series - congratulations on having EM (Professional); interesting is the designation 08 - impatiently waiting for the photos

Old 10-24-19, 07:49 PM
velopackrat

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Then I shall keep talking to make theminimum post requirement Along with my Motorola TSX, there are two more Motorolas in my town because there is a bike shop associated with Lance Armstrong. Two of his team bikes hang from the rafters, both from the Motorola days. If only I could post photos. Hmmm. So, more to come and thank you again for your expertise. I suspect you singlehandedly raised the value and desireability of EMC frames.
Old 10-30-19, 04:09 AM
CyclesMakaron

I found pictures of your frame in an unexpected (almost unexpected) place... Beautiful - but EMC frames have been released to the US for sure already in 1981 (the unconfirmed info gives even the end of 1980). If it's true with this increase in value - I accidentally made my life more difficult, I haven't bought all the EMC I've been looking for yet
Old 10-30-19, 04:38 PM
velopackrat

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It's true, this one is up for sale. But fear not. Now, due to learning more about EMC from you and others on this forum thread? I'm going to hunt for another Merckx in my size. And like everyone else who ever threw a leg over a racing bicycle, I really love the team replica bikes. Faema or Molteni, and drillium!

But back to my slightly incorrect listing: When did Gita start with EMC? Was someone else in the USA importing them prior to Gita?
Old 10-31-19, 12:30 AM
Belg-Ital Steel 

Bikes: large herd that needs thinning

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Cursive Seat Stay EMs

Appreciate all the great info on EMs. I'm hoping to get more info on these 2 old repainted cursive seat stay EMs.

Last edited by Belg-Ital Steel; 10-31-19 at 12:31 AM. Reason: 1 is orig paint, 1 is a repaint
Old 10-31-19, 01:23 AM
CyclesMakaron

velopackrat: #71
Belg - Ital Steel: one man shouldn't have two such frameworks, it's obvious... left - frame from the first production series (without serial numbers): 6 - size (56cm), A - EMC employee designation (there is a good chance that it could be Mr.Vranckx); right - frame No.151 from the "no letter" series...but not quite (V designation appears on some early frames of the series and it is not EMC employee code), 6 - (56cm). Both frames were built in 1980. More photos !

Old 10-31-19, 08:45 AM
Belg-Ital Steel 

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

I traded the one on the left off last week to a forum member-original paint-silly me... but I'm downsizing. I still have the one on the right which has been repainted.
Old 10-31-19, 08:50 AM
Belg-Ital Steel 

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Cursive Seat Stay EMs

I traded the one on the left off last week to a forum member-original paint-silly me... but I'm downsizing. I still have the one on the right which has been repainted.
Old 10-31-19, 08:52 AM
Belg-Ital Steel 

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The darker colored frame has 3 top tube cable guides. The lighter colored frame has 2 sets of 2 each cable guides on the bottom of the top tube? Any chance the non flat crowned fork on the lighter colored frame is original? thx again
Old 10-31-19, 10:28 AM
CyclesMakaron

Light blue: the guides on the top tube are unusual (they were not installed in series), possible reconstruction or special order (some photos before repainting?); the fork is rather not original (the steering tube should have a serial number stamped on it).
Dark blue: the upper rear lug is... short (the front two are long) - a big surprise, "mixed" lugs happened later (rarely).
Dropouts photos ?
Old 10-31-19, 12:07 PM
Belg-Ital Steel 

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
EMs Cursive Seat Stays

More picks of light blue frame

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.