Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your favorite road tubeless tires

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your favorite road tubeless tires

Old 11-06-22, 06:58 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Mounted the Agilest 28s this AM- super easy to mount and seat. Going to take them for a spin this afternoon, I have a feeling they’re going to be fast.
Old 11-06-22, 08:07 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Mounted the Agilest 28s this AM- super easy to mount and seat. Going to take them for a spin this afternoon, I have a feeling they’re going to be fast.
Well, hell - you got your mitts on them quickly! Did you put them on the 303S? Did they stay seated at no pressure?
Old 11-06-22, 08:09 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Well, hell - you got your mitts on them quickly! Did you put them on the 303S? Did they stay seated at no pressure?
Excel got them to me in 2 days. They stayed bead locked when flat.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 11-07-22, 08:45 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Rode them this morning- they felt fast, but the conditions sort of sucked so it was hard to tell. They are a little less supple than pro ones but for 70 bucks a pair…
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 11-07-22, 09:38 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
They are a little less supple than pro ones but for 70 bucks a pair…
Not to mention that everything hookless compatible has been at least a little less supple than the Pro One.
Old 03-29-23, 05:48 AM
Rodrigo Kenobi

Bikes: Trek Domane AL 5 Disc 2022

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I received the Vittorio Next TLR tires yesterday from Lord Gunn and installed one on the rear. The bead is thicker than other tires and stiff and it was not easy to mount, although I have had worse and was able to get it on with a lever as opposed to resorting to the tire jack. Was super easy to seat. This was last night and I won't have a chance to get in a good ride till Monday so will report back on ride quality.

BTW. This was my first order from Lordgunn and was impressed. Shipping was not that much and it arrived here from the UK in 3 days.
No kidding about those being not easy to mount. I tortured my thumbs enough before resorting to levers. My mistake, I guess.

However, the damn tires would not seat! I have an airshot tire inflator, but most of the tire simply did not get seated. Frustrated, I resorted to taking them to my local bike shop, expecting that their compressor would make short work of it. But no, they still refuse to seat. Yesterday afternoon they messaged me that I should bring them some of my preferred sealant (Orange Peel is nonexistent on our market), they would try to re-tape the rims and finish the job today. Really hoping it's the tape's fault and not some inherent incompatibility between this tire and wheel combo. The previous Michelin tires I've been using were super easy to set up and maintain.
Old 03-30-23, 05:46 AM
Rodrigo Kenobi

Bikes: Trek Domane AL 5 Disc 2022

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 19 Posts
The LBS managed to seat the tires. As soon as they installed fresh rim tape, everything worked, perhaps unsurprisingly. Well, this was my first tubeless tire change, next time I won't even try to reuse the tape.

I think they aren't very used to road tubeless, as they put in 120ml of sealant in each wheel. So I just drained both wheels and put the usual 40ml in there. The tires stayed seated when not inflated, so that's good to know also.
Old 04-02-23, 04:02 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,426 Times in 2,826 Posts
Originally Posted by Rodrigo Kenobi
No kidding about those being not easy to mount. I tortured my thumbs enough before resorting to levers. My mistake, I guess.

However, the damn tires would not seat! I have an airshot tire inflator, but most of the tire simply did not get seated. Frustrated, I resorted to taking them to my local bike shop, expecting that their compressor would make short work of it. But no, they still refuse to seat. Yesterday afternoon they messaged me that I should bring them some of my preferred sealant (Orange Peel is nonexistent on our market), they would try to re-tape the rims and finish the job today. Really hoping it's the tape's fault and not some inherent incompatibility between this tire and wheel combo. The previous Michelin tires I've been using were super easy to set up and maintain.
Had the same experience with Pro Ones. My fingers hurt for two days. The Conti’s popped right on with zero effort and seated on the first try.

Old 04-02-23, 04:08 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts
Has anyone used the Vredestein tubeless tire yet? I am not sure if they are hookless compatible but it looks good.

https://www.superpasso.com
Old 04-03-23, 04:33 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,426 Times in 2,826 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Schwalbe Pro One! Very easy to mount tubeless (could have done it without a compressor), and I am please with how they perform. They are also very silent.
I have found it all depends on the rim. My fingers and thumb ached for two days just trying to get them on the rim. Seating them was another issue. I enjoyed them when I had the LBS mount and seat them, but for me as a DIYer (with a compressor) it was a no go. Glad they work for you since they are awesome

Old 04-04-23, 08:02 PM
biglmbass

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Mounted up Conti GP 5000 S TR tires on Zipp 404 FC wheels today. Easy peasy. No sweating, swearing, or sore fingers/hands. Rather shocked how easily they went on. Had these & a set of the Vittoria Corsa N.ext TLRs on hand, but opted for the Contis based on reading above how difficult the Corsa can be. Cora’s felt more supple. Looking forward to trying them next
Old 04-05-23, 12:32 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Looks like Conti is coming out with a new tire- GP5000 AS TR. Each version is probably 80 grams heavier than the regular TR but it will certainly be more durable, and (I assume) slightly less supple.
Old 04-05-23, 12:52 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,710 Times in 2,910 Posts
Originally Posted by biglmbass
Mounted up Conti GP 5000 S TR tires on Zipp 404 FC wheels today. Easy peasy. No sweating, swearing, or sore fingers/hands. Rather shocked how easily they went on.
+1. These are the easiest tyres to mount and inflate without a pressure boost. I use them on DT Swiss ERC1400 wheels. Definitely my current favourite fast tyre.
Old 04-05-23, 07:59 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I've been sticking with the Michelin Pro One's since reading the recommendations here. I am getting good mileage out of the tyres and they mount well enough for me and my weak digits. Perhaps if I see some other tyres on sale I will pick them up. Trouble is with the cycling season so short in my part of the world. it is rare that I get a chance to try different tyres in one season.
Old 04-06-23, 08:43 AM
Chandne

Michelin or Schwalbe? I assume the Michelin Pro 4s or something since the Pro One is made
by Schwalbe. Well, maybe they both make Pro Ones but it has been a decade since I bought Michelins bike tires.

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I've been sticking with the Michelin Pro One's since reading the recommendations here. I am getting good mileage out of the tyres and they mount well enough for me and my weak digits. Perhaps if I see some other tyres on sale I will pick them up. Trouble is with the cycling season so short in my part of the world. it is rare that I get a chance to try different tyres in one season.
Old 04-06-23, 11:54 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Probably talking about Schwalbe, since Michelin Pros aren't tubeless, only their Power lineup are.

Thinking that the season's finally warming up, last week I swapped out my commuter/rain bike's tires and wheels from bombproof but slow 35mm Pirelli Cinturato Velos on DT Swiss CR-1600s for 32mm GP5000 TL on Hunt Aero Disc Light wheels. This is the second time around I've mounted the GP5k TL on the Hunts. First time they lost a lot of air overnight and fell off the bead shelf within a week if not topped off, so I was always a bit uneasy riding them. I retaped the rims with a double layer of Stan's to see if it would help. Air retention is much better but the tires will still lose bead lock when depressurized.

Last edited by surak; 04-06-23 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-06-23, 01:16 PM
Chandne

I recently mounted up the Specialized Turbo 2Bliss T2/T5 in 30s (I'd prefer 32s) on the Zipp 303 Firecrests. They roll quite well and seem to be pretty supple. The only issue is that they state a minimum PSI of 65 PSI. I ran them twice with 65R/60F and that was fine. I may not go lower since they feel good. They measured 30.1 when mounted, and 31.3 after the first ride. I think if they come out with 32s, they will be in my top 2-3. At first, I added a bit too much sealant and it was slightly problematic for a bit. Slight sealant seepage occurred as I pressed the tire with my thumb and forefinger as well. However, after a ride, it is solid and hold air for days with no seepage. I think the 30 weighs around 300 grams. The last 6-7 inches of tire took me a good 5-6 mins to get on my Firecrest rims with hands only. I am used to tubeless and the techniques so I would not say they are easy but not awful. You just have to keep pushing both beads into the middle channel over and over and "roll" the tire with your palms.

They are certainly lighter and quicker than the Maxxis Re-Fuse I was using. I could tell right on the first climb and the weight diff is probably significant. They spin up a lot quicker. Anyway, I am always on the hunt for tires and as long as this one holds up, I'll wait for 32s. My buddy really likes his ENVE SES tires. Those 31s (on ENVE SES 3.4 rims) measure 34.2.
Old 04-08-23, 06:47 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I’ve enjoyed the Specialized turbo’s as well although I use 26mm.

I finally jumped in and recently mounted some Vittoria’s Corsa Next’s in 28mm I’m not sure if I like the bulkier tires yet although they are more comfortable for sure. I think it’s completely mental, they feel heavier and that drives me crazy but the reality is my times haven’t changed in any way. The tires themselves seem pretty decent, last week with only a few hundred miles on them I punctured and felt sealant spray on my leg. I stopped briefly to see if I could find anything in the tire but it sealed up pretty quickly with almost unnoticeable amount of pressure loss. So I suppose that’s a good thing!

I’ll probably go back to 25’s after this though.
Old 04-08-23, 07:44 PM
Chandne

Just give it time. I am beating my long-held times with 25s on my 32s. If you keep riding the fatter tires and give you brains some time to jive with them, it is hard to go back. My buddy who also rode 25s forever now rides 32 ENVEs that balloon out to 34.5 on his 3.4 SES rims. He is also easily as fast (though fatter so I am not sure how) but regardless, the fatter tires are not slowing him down either.
Likes For Chandne:
Old 04-10-23, 06:32 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
I can not install new tubeless 25mm or 28mm gp5000 ( bought both, one for the gf and one for me ) on light bicycle ar46 by hand.
I have to use Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack. If I ever get a flat tire that a plug will not fix and requires an inner tube I am going to have to call Lyft.
Hopefully after 1000+ miles maybe it will be easier to install that I can do it on the side of the road.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-13-23, 07:47 AM
robbyville

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I can not install new tubeless 25mm or 28mm gp5000 ( bought both, one for the gf and one for me ) on light bicycle ar46 by hand.
I have to use Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack. If I ever get a flat tire that a plug will not fix and requires an inner tube I am going to have to call Lyft.
Hopefully after 1000+ miles maybe it will be easier to install that I can do it on the side of the road.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also have LB rims although I think a different model (46mm rim brake) and have struggled with the GP5000’s both the original TL’s and the new TR’s that are supposed to be easier to mount. I was so stoked to put on the new variations and so disappointed when they were still so tough lol. Seems to be related to the rims it seems.

on the positive side though, they are fantastic tires and once on for a bit they stretch enough to not be so difficult to remount or repair.

enjoy!
Old 04-14-23, 11:02 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
I also have LB rims although I think a different model (46mm rim brake) and have struggled with the GP5000’s both the original TL’s and the new TR’s that are supposed to be easier to mount. I was so stoked to put on the new variations and so disappointed when they were still so tough lol. Seems to be related to the rims it seems.
I have LB WR50s and nearly everything has been super easy to mount on them. Each model varies slightly, I guess some are easier than others. I have mounted at least six different kinds of tires on the WR50s including GP5000 S TR and all were very easy to mount except for one (Kendas).
Old 04-15-23, 04:41 PM
Schlafen

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 62 Posts
Panaracer Gravelking Plus TLC Slick 32mm.
Used exclusively for the past 2 years, group rides, events, commuting, everywhere really. 3rd set fitted 2 weeks ago.
When I switched to this tyre I bought a Dynaplug as well as people were complaining the tyre is very thin, I never used it.
Best tyre I've ever ridden, I can fit them with a track pump, takes me less than 5 minutes per tyre
Likes For Schlafen:
Old 04-16-23, 11:21 AM
robbyville

Originally Posted by scottfsmith
I have LB WR50s and nearly everything has been super easy to mount on them. Each model varies slightly, I guess some are easier than others. I have mounted at least six different kinds of tires on the WR50s including GP5000 S TR and all were very easy to mount except for one (Kendas).
yup ditto, I’ve put a ton of different tires on and only the GP5000’s have given me grief (on these rims). but I do like the rode qualities enough to keep bringing me back to them lol
Likes For robbyville:
Old 04-18-23, 03:50 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,710 Times in 2,910 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
Just give it time. I am beating my long-held times with 25s on my 32s. If you keep riding the fatter tires and give you brains some time to jive with them, it is hard to go back. My buddy who also rode 25s forever now rides 32 ENVEs that balloon out to 34.5 on his 3.4 SES rims. He is also easily as fast (though fatter so I am not sure how) but regardless, the fatter tires are not slowing him down either.
If the pros are happy to run 30 and 32 mm tyres at Paris-Roubaix then they can't be that much of a compromise on speed and certainly faster and more comfortable on rougher roads.
Likes For PeteHski:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.