Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gatorskin lumpy tread.....

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-29-22, 08:22 AM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I have a set of 25c gatorskins on my SS bike and noticed that the front started to get really lumpy. About half the tire around has odd lumps in the center of the thread. Tire has almost no wear. I first thought......did i over inflate it but nope. I just must be defective. I have never seen this before. Time to spend more money i guess. These have maybe 500mi on them. The wear indicators show no wear. Its always something.....
Old 09-29-22, 08:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,787 Times in 3,305 Posts
I have never seen this before.
I certainly am not seeing what you are describing. How 'bout a picture?

Under inflation would seem more likely a cause for what you describe than would over inflation. However it might just be a one off thing that we'll never know or you just got a tire from a bad batch that got by whomever inspects them at the factory.
Old 09-29-22, 08:36 AM
scale

yeah i suspect it hasnt vulcanized correctly at some of the internal layers. Not sure i could capture it in a picture. The result is really faint but you can feel it while running your hand over that part of the tire. Oh well....
Old 09-29-22, 09:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,787 Times in 3,305 Posts
Does your tire look something like the tire in this other post in Road Cycling

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...yone-seen.html

I might can believe that it wasn't vulcanized correctly. Use to be an issue on tires for automobiles way back in my childhood. I seem to remember several time my dad had to replace tires for blisters where the tread was coming loose and making a funny sound down the highway.

Continental Bike Tire has a contact page. Email them and see what they say. Some members here in the past do claim they actually got a discount on next purchase or a free tire out of it.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-29-22 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-29-22, 09:33 AM
scale

yes....not quite as pronounced......thicker rubber but mildy a lot like this.
Old 09-29-22, 10:31 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
I've had Continental tires do as you describe. Several, actually. I've had a Panaracer do it too.

700x38c Panaracer Gravelking by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

With Continental, I just gave up & called it wasted money. I sort of figured that between 500 & 5000 miles of use I was unlikely to make much headway in the claims department or be considered to have much in the way of a valid claim no matter how defective they were manufactured.

Under the advice of someone here, at BF, I did let Panaracer know, & they sent me a free tire that was obviously from a different manufacturing lot.

I say contact the company, maybe they'll do right. But they can't have that opportunity if you don't make the first step.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 09-29-22, 08:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4328 Post(s)
Liked 3,949 Times in 2,641 Posts
I would reach out to the dealer who sold the tire and they can help you warranty it, if you bought it elsewhere but at least a place that is authorized then reach out to Continental and they can help out and if neither just get a new tire. That sounds like it would be a warranty case.
Old 09-30-22, 06:30 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
This happened to me last year. I salvaged a pair of unused Gatorskins from a friend's garage, unknown age, perhaps over a decade. Within a few hundred miles, both were "bubbling" and patches of tread started coming off the rear.
Old 11-04-22, 10:31 PM
LarryMelman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
I've used Gatorskins over 10 years. They used to wear down to the threads with no trouble. But in the last 2-3 years, I've had to replace several tires early, because they seem to come apart internally. As if the tread separates from the casing. They will make odd popping or crackling or squishing noises. Sometimes I'll see small lumps about the diameter of a pea. "Something" has changed about how they make Gatorskins.