Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Switched from Gatorskins to Conti 5000s

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Switched from Gatorskins to Conti 5000s

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-22, 09:07 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I only had Conti's on one bike a few years ago . I can't remember the model of tire but they were originally very expensive(to me), but they were on clearance at a local bike shop that was closing down . Originally , I think , they were about $70 or so each and I paid $45 for the pair for 700 x 23 . I put them on a Centurion I bought and owned for two years . I rode the heck out of that bike and loved the tires. I think I only got maybe one flat the whole time I owned the bike. The guy who bought the bike took it out for a test ride and came back with the biggest smile on his face and immediately handed me full asking price for the bike. To this day I think the tres helped sell the bike!
Old 10-31-22, 02:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I don't yet have any 5000s. If they are like my 4000s I'll love them. My 4000s are the best feeling tires I have ever had. They have a number of nicks and cuts in them, some pretty deep, but have never punctured.

Very similar, I think the 5Ks are just a bit more durable.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-31-22, 02:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by staehpj1
I have long distance toured on Gatorskins and liked them for the lively ride compared to the other tires folks toured on. The flat resistance is at least okay as is it the ride. I figure they are a compromise for that kind of riding.

Way back in the day I remember racing and training on a tire that I remember as being labeled Continental Grand Prix. I don't recall them having a number in the name, but I remember them as being great tires that I considered very expensive at the time.

Most of my tours are long enough that they pass through goat head thorn country at some point. I like a lively ride. I carry a very light load when touring these days using ultralight packing practices. Thoughts on a more lively model than the gatorskin, like the 4000 or 5000 and or tubeless, especially if there might be goatheads.

I don't think GPs are goat head rated, but what is?
Old 10-31-22, 02:49 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't think GPs are goat head rated, but what is?
Nothing is completely immune to them and I'd likely not want to ride on a tire that was. For example something like the Marathon Plus or similar are out IMO. Similarly I won't use thornproof tubes.

So far I have used Gatorskins and been okay, but I wonder if there are more supple tires that would suffice for long distance touring in goathead country. Tubeless with sealant are a possibility I'd consider. I know that here in Tallahassee I got very frequent flats on my MTB from blackberry and other wild thorn plants. Tubeless with sealant was a great solution for that pretty much eliminating flats even with a light supple tire. I have not used road tubeless at all though.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 10-31-22, 02:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by staehpj1
Nothing is completely immune to them and I'd likely not want to ride on a tire that was. For example something like the Marathon Plus or similar are out IMO. Similarly I won't use thornproof tubes.

So far I have used Gatorskins and been okay, but I wonder if there are more supple tires that would suffice for long distance touring in goathead country. Tubeless with sealant are a possibility I'd consider. I know that here in Tallahassee I got very frequent flats on my MTB from blackberry and other wild thorn plants. Tubeless with sealant was a great solution for that pretty much eliminating flats even with a light supple tire. I have not used road tubeless at all though.

I think if I rode in goathead country, I'd prefer the Gators to the Grand Prixs. I don't, so the compromise in ride to get the extra puncture resistance just isn't worth it to me. I've never rode tubeless.
Old 11-04-22, 09:59 PM
LarryMelman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
I've used Gatorskins for over 10 years. They used to wear down to the casing. But in the last maybe 2-3 years, I find that they wear down maybe halfway and then the tire starts to come apart internally. I'll get big bubbles where the tread pulls away from the casing that pop and crackle as the tire goes around. I don't see any other posts about this but it's happened the last several tires in a row so I know it's real. It has me considering other tires in the future.
Old 11-05-22, 09:26 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Originally Posted by LarryMelman
I've used Gatorskins for over 10 years. They used to wear down to the casing. But in the last maybe 2-3 years, I find that they wear down maybe halfway and then the tire starts to come apart internally. I'll get big bubbles where the tread pulls away from the casing that pop and crackle as the tire goes around. I don't see any other posts about this but it's happened the last several tires in a row so I know it's real. It has me considering other tires in the future.
Isn’t it Larry “Bud” Melman? Sorry about your snap, crackle, pop tires or are we talking cereal?

Old 11-05-22, 09:44 AM
LarryMelman

Ah-hah-hah-hah-hah.
I've posted about my recent problems with Gatorskins a few times. I see it so consistently now that I'm sure they changed something about the recipe, and everyone should be noticing it. There's another thread right now https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...mpy-tread.html which may or may not be the same issue.
Puncture resistance is equally as important as the lifetime of the tire. (I am not smart enough to know what high/low rolling resistance feels like.)

Last edited by LarryMelman; 11-05-22 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-05-22, 03:03 PM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
I originally went to Gatorskins because of flats I was getting. They worked well even though I got a couple of flats while I used them.

I heard good things and decided to switch to Gp4000s. The difference was immediate as they felt faster and more supple. When the Gp5000s cane out I put them on a second road bike. Since I started using these tires I have not gotten any flats!

I have tubeless tires on my newest road bike, I thinking of trying the new Gp5000 S TL tires when my present ones (Schwable Pro 1's) wear out.
Old 11-07-22, 08:30 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,927 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by LarryMelman
Did you purchase all these tires at one time? I had a bad run on some Panaracers a while back. Didn't buy any more for 2-3 years, after which I went back and they've been flawless (touch wood). Bad manufacturing batches can happen to any model.
Old 11-07-22, 10:03 PM
LarryMelman

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Did you purchase all these tires at one time?
No, not all bought at the same time or from the same retailer. I emailed Continental in case this was something they'd want to know, and there was no reply.

I have a really hard time getting Gatorskins on my Reynolds wheels and I wonder if GP5000's would be even worse.