Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Pogacar Starts 2023 Strong!

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-23, 04:53 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,086 Times in 3,825 Posts

Tadej Pogacar has announced his presence with authority this week, winning the Jaen Paraiso Interior Road Race and the first 2 stages of the Vlueta a Andalucia with what has appeared to be relative ease. 3 starts. 3 wins. Pogacar is pretty good at bikes.
Old 02-16-23, 05:19 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I had the thought this morning that he is like Alberto Contador. When he sees and opportunity to go, he goes. No hesitation. Looked him up on wikipedia. His role model? Contador!

Like Contador, he also knows how to use the abilities of others to his advantage. I'm waiting to see if he can both do this and make those who benefit him feel good about what they have done; something Contador was a master at. (For example, concede a win to a lesser competitor and have that competitor help you win a Grand Tour a few years later.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-17-23, 01:27 AM
sincos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Peaking early or his idea of "rounding into form"?

He also won his last 2 starts last year, so 5 for 5 so far, one of them a Monument. Also noted that of his 49 wins, only 1 was a .1 -- Jaen, and I'm sure that will soon be a Pro race, and that 33 wins were at the WT level. Not too shabby.
Old 03-01-23, 09:23 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
JV also looking dominant early. The Tour should be pretty exciting this year. It seems like those two are really in a class of their own right now.
Old 03-06-23, 01:46 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Pog and UAE are killing it this year. Tufts has found himself crazy power with Wellens
Old 03-08-23, 12:31 PM
OBoile

Pogacar took it to JV big time today. 43 seconds over the final few kms.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 03-08-23, 12:44 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by OBoile
Pogacar took it to JV big time today. 43 seconds over the final few kms.
Way to early to tell if that will carry over to the Tour. That said, it's exciting stuff.
Old 03-09-23, 12:04 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Way to early to tell if that will carry over to the Tour. That said, it's exciting stuff.
true, but I think Pog is just stronger than Vingegaard. In last year's TDF, Vingegaard won partly because he had the help of phenomenal teammates, especially WvA. I don't think that Vingegaard can beat him again.

But we'll see.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 03-09-23, 10:02 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 376 Posts
Agree. Head to head, Pogacar has the measure of JV and is a more complete rider.

It took a total team effort for JV to win last year. And Pogacar made some tactical errors due to some youthful exuberance/pride, chasing down breaks that he didn't really need to chase. Hopefully he'll learn and be more measured and tactical in his response.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 03-13-23, 10:05 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

So maybe J-V is going to make a switch and have Vingegaard ride for Roglic?
Old 03-13-23, 12:43 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
So maybe J-V is going to make a switch and have Vingegaard ride for Roglic?
Last I heard, Roglic was headed to the Giro. Probably La Vuelta too.

Vingegaard is building for Le Tour.
Old 03-14-23, 12:55 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
Very exciting time for pro cycling!!!
Likes For HeyItsSara:
Old 03-16-23, 08:38 AM
OBoile

Originally Posted by slcbob
Last I heard, Roglic was headed to the Giro. Probably La Vuelta too.

Vingegaard is building for Le Tour.
This is probably a bit of a controversial take, but I kind of feel like Roglic is done as a truly top tier competitor. What I mean by that is that I think peak Roglic would be a notch below peak TP and JV. He, along with Remco belongs in the 2nd tier just a bit below those guys... but he's only getting older at this point. I think he can still definitely win the Giro and the Vuelta, but I would be very surprised if he ever wins a TdF.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 03-16-23, 09:07 AM
MinnMan

This is probably a bit of a controversial take, but I kind of feel like Roglic is done as a truly top tier competitor. What I mean by that is that I think peak Roglic would be a notch below peak TP and JV. He, along with Remco belongs in the 2nd tier just a bit below those guys... but he's only getting older at this point. I think he can still definitely win the Giro and the Vuelta, but I would be very surprised if he ever wins a TdF.
I would like to see Remco up against Pogacar. AFAIK, they've never faced off in a grand tour.

At this point, I think the consensus in the peloton is that Pogacar is in a class by himself. J-V, Quickstep and Ineos all have strong teams, and will give it a go. But I don't think J-V can repeat last year's magic. It would take not just Vingegaard stepping up his game, but also WVA would have to repeat a performance that is probably unrepeatable.

The French are now hoping for Gaudu, but I just don't think that FDJ has the team to compete with UAR or J-V over a 3 week tour.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 03-16-23, 09:30 AM
OBoile

Originally Posted by MinnMan
I would like to see Remco up against Pogacar. AFAIK, they've never faced off in a grand tour.

At this point, I think the consensus in the peloton is that Pogacar is in a class by himself. J-V, Quickstep and Ineos all have strong teams, and will give it a go. But I don't think J-V can repeat last year's magic. It would take not just Vingegaard stepping up his game, but also WVA would have to repeat a performance that is probably unrepeatable.

The French are now hoping for Gaudu, but I just don't think that FDJ has the team to compete with UAR or J-V over a 3 week tour.
The key difference between Remco and Roglic is that Remco is clearly still improving. IMO the only GT he's done at peak form was last year's Vuelta, where he was obviously very good, but an off-peak Roglic was still pretty competitive until he crashed.
My wildly speculative guess is that Remco is still a bit behind Pog at this point, but potentially has more room for improvement. I think he would be clearly behind him this year if he raced the TdF, but could be very competitive with Pog in the next year or two.
At the start of the year, I would have picked Vingegaard to win the tour, but, even though it's a long way off still, Pogacar just looks so strong right now I think I'd go with him.
Old 03-16-23, 11:15 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
I don't think that's too controversial. Though I'd split a hair and say that he is absolutely a top tier competitor, he just isn't the tippity top.

We're talking about racking and stacking at most a half dozen guys at the pinnacle of their sport, for grand tours. They're ALL top tier. But Pog is tippity top right now, Roglic is a little over the hill, Remco is still a little before the hill (Pog was a freak in that regard, too), and it remains to be seen if Jonas can climb the mountain again. Who else belongs in that company?

Of course, there's another handful of folks gathered around the Hillary Step waiting to make an assault on the summit. I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to put Roglic in that company yet. Though he has been know to stumble and put himself there, much like G Thomas, but Roglic is still in rarefied company; G is not.

Gaudu is having a nice early season and the whole team was surprising there with support until the final surge, but being present and accounted for in Paris-Nice is a little different than any of the GTs, particularly Le Tour.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 03-16-23, 11:39 AM
OBoile

Originally Posted by slcbob
I don't think that's too controversial. Though I'd split a hair and say that he is absolutely a top tier competitor, he just isn't the tippity top.

We're talking about racking and stacking at most a half dozen guys at the pinnacle of their sport, for grand tours. They're ALL top tier. But Pog is tippity top right now, Roglic is a little over the hill, Remco is still a little before the hill (Pog was a freak in that regard, too), and it remains to be seen if Jonas can climb the mountain again. Who else belongs in that company?

Of course, there's another handful of folks gathered around the Hillary Step waiting to make an assault on the summit. I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to put Roglic in that company yet. Though he has been know to stumble and put himself there, much like G Thomas, but Roglic is still in rarefied company; G is not.

Gaudu is having a nice early season and the whole team was surprising there with support until the final surge, but being present and accounted for in Paris-Nice is a little different than any of the GTs, particularly Le Tour.
I think we're saying, or at least intending to say, pretty much the same thing.
Roglic is definitely still a top-5 GT rider. Possibly even top-3. But I don't think anyone really considers him #1 anymore, and barring some sort of unusual event, I don't see that changing in his favour going forward.
I would say not "top-tier" just on the basis that I think there is a clear separation between him and JV/TP. My "tiers" aren't really based on the number of riders, but rather if I'd feel confident about picking one over another. If so, they're on different tiers.

Last edited by OBoile; 03-16-23 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-16-23, 01:31 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I think we're saying, or at least intending to say, pretty much the same thing.
Roglic is definitely still a top-5 GT rider. Possibly even top-3. But I don't think anyone really considers him #1 anymore, and barring some sort of unusual event, I don't see that changing in his favour going forward.
I would say not "top-tier" just on the basis that I think there is a clear separation between him and JV/TP. My "tiers" aren't really based on the number of riders, but rather if I'd feel confident about picking one over another. If so, they're on different tiers.
I’m not a fan of using only the Tour as a basis for evaluating a rider. I have a hard time saying that WVA, Alaphilippe, Roglic, or Evenepol aren’t top-tier riders just because it’s unlikely for them to win the Tour.
Old 03-16-23, 04:50 PM
OBoile

I’m not a fan of using only the Tour as a basis for evaluating a rider. I have a hard time saying that WVA, Alaphilippe, Roglic, or Evenepol aren’t top-tier riders just because it’s unlikely for them to win the Tour.
I'm only speaking in terms of stage racing/grand tour performance here which pretty much means TT plus high mountains.

Other races would obviously have a different set of riders who are more likely to win.
Old 03-20-23, 12:18 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

No surprise that Pogacar was in the final selection at MSR, but MVDP put on an amazing display of power and bike handling to walk way from that group. Truly impressive.
Old 03-20-23, 02:07 PM
OBoile

No surprise that Pogacar was in the final selection at MSR, but MVDP put on an amazing display of power and bike handling to walk way from that group. Truly impressive.
The last 1/2 hour of that race is always great. MVDP had some great tactics along with incredible power to win that.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 03-20-23, 02:20 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

The last 1/2 hour of that race is always great. MVDP had some great tactics along with incredible power to win that.
Agreed! MVDP was able to use his best weapon at the time that was best for him, and put everyone else on defense.