Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What do you do with old frames?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-23, 02:06 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts

I don't sell my old bike. They sort of get rebuilt/born as single speeds, 1x, etc. Then the parts get pulled for something else. So every few years, I find myself looking at a 10+ year old frameset wondering what to do with it. Currently, it's a carbon 2009 Scott Addict SL. That was a badass frameset back then. It's what Cavendish road. But it's 14-yrs-old, has a couple scuffs, I'll never ride it again, and to top it off... it's a 61cm. I don't need a trainer bike (I have a Wahoo Bike). I also have plenty of other bikes for every/any occasion.

Best idea so far: wall art. But, meh... clutter. I suppose I could donate it. But really, is that frameset ever going to built back up in that channel?

WWYD?

Last edited by Zaskar; 03-28-23 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-28-23, 02:44 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Carbon frames? I don't know. That's the only bad thing about CF is that there isn't TMK, a good recycling option (pun not intended).

My steel Raleigh Competition GS got taken to the salvage yard with some other scrap steel.
Old 03-28-23, 02:48 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
oooh... didn't even think of the recycling issue - I'd be just adding to the landfill. The wall art thing is looking better.
Old 03-28-23, 02:54 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4934 Post(s)
Liked 8,075 Times in 3,817 Posts
IMO, since you don't seem to be worried about recouping any of the cost, sell it for a price that is attractive to buyers, or - better yet - donate it to a young rider that maybe has limited economic means. It's still a very capable frame.
Old 03-28-23, 03:28 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Just last week I put an older Scattante aluminum frame in the recyclables. There was nothing wrong with it, just too small for me. I tried to give it away, but no takers.
Old 03-28-23, 03:41 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
The last three frames that failed were just cut in half so they would fit into the garbage bin. I miss the old days where you could put out more garbage rather than trying to shoehorn it into a one sized fits all receptacle.
Old 03-28-23, 04:15 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 824 Posts
For a frame that's crashed, rusted out, or otherwise reached the end of its service life, I prefer to be a "master of de-seat".

Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 03-28-23, 10:26 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
IMO, since you don't seem to be worried about recouping any of the cost, sell it for a price that is attractive to buyers, or - better yet - donate it to a young rider that maybe has limited economic means. It's still a very capable frame.
Agree. Just find it a new home with full disclosure. I often sell stuff (not only bikes) at virutally giveaway prices because (1) it's not worth the effort and hassle to get any more and (2) I'd rather have it put to use and out of the way.
Old 03-28-23, 10:45 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 1,044 Posts
Talked to a guy in town who had a Carbon Frame left over from an up-grade. He was reluctant to sell or give it to someone in that it had multiple dings and nicks from his use.

I immediately inquired what he had done with it. He said he threw it up on top of a big Oak Tree at the back of the State Park. I am sure many years from now it will be a site...
Old 03-28-23, 10:50 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
For a frame that's crashed, rusted out, or otherwise reached the end of its service life, I prefer to be a "master of de-seat".

That's one backyard BBQ my wife would never attend.
Old 03-29-23, 05:48 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 778 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
A very TALL young rider!
Old 03-29-23, 07:32 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
We are blessed to have this nonprofit, https://www.phoenixbikes.org/donate-a-bike/, that uniquely combines youth education programs with a full-service professional bike shop. Great feeling to donate as they serve underserved/underprivileged communities kids who put high quality bikes back into the wild, so will not take bikes that come from big box stores because the components are lower quality and will require more maintenance in the future.
Old 03-29-23, 08:40 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked 1,275 Times in 705 Posts
https://www.recycleyourbicycleaz.com/
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 03-29-23, 09:22 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 685 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
My steel Raleigh Competition GS got taken to the salvage yard with some other scrap steel.
Hopefully you're joking. Those were full 531 frames, is that right?
Old 03-29-23, 09:32 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,630 Times in 2,918 Posts
Research bike coops or somewhere you can donate it for a kid that needs a bike.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-29-23, 09:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Hopefully you're joking. Those were full 531 frames, is that right?
Yep! Reynolds 531, chromed fork ends and rear drops and stays. Also a very fun bike to ride.

I wasn't joking. But I still have all the original components and the components I'd put on it
Old 03-29-23, 10:20 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
I second that recommendation for anyone in the metro Phoenix area. However, RYB is more interested in complete bicycles of all types - a bare frame & fork, even a nice one, might not get the attention it deserves due to the volume of bikes being processed. Another place that will take bike or frame donations and isn't picky about it is Rusty Spoke downtown.

If I can get my schedule synced with RYB staff today, I'll be dropping off two more fixed-up bikes for Recycle Your Bicycle today. They're also running a bike rodeo for foster kids this coming Sunday in Scottsdale (I won't be able to attend as I'll be in Tucson at the GABA bike swap for Rusty Spoke).
Old 03-29-23, 11:12 AM
Jeff Neese

Yep! Reynolds 531, chromed fork ends and rear drops and stays. Also a very fun bike to ride.

I wasn't joking. But I still have all the original components and the components I'd put on it
Why would you trash that frame? There are many people here that would have loved to save it and would gladly have paid for shipping. I'm having a hard time believing you actually threw away a frame like that, unless somehow it was damaged, bent, or otherwise not usable. Do you just not know what you had?
Old 03-29-23, 11:49 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur

Are these actually useable as seats? Or is the sum of the seat tube angle + angle of chain stays from horizontal so steep that they would topple if a user leans back just a bit?
Old 03-29-23, 12:23 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Why would you trash that frame? There are many people here that would have loved to save it and would gladly have paid for shipping. I'm having a hard time believing you actually threw away a frame like that, unless somehow it was damaged, bent, or otherwise not usable. Do you just not know what you had?
Oh I do know what I had. Just consider it a personal protest to those that claim such vintage bikes are worth thousands of dollars and then never want to pay that much for the bike they say is worth that much. Mine wasn't mint condition. Though the chromed parts were very good with no rust blooming though.

Bare frame and fork together weighed over 6 pounds, so it was never going to be a light enough bike for me again no matter what I put on it. But for the 10 years I had it, 7 of which it was ridden often, it was fun.

My other vintage bikes I did give away or sold for a token sum.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-29-23 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-29-23, 01:03 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Are these actually useable as seats? Or is the sum of the seat tube angle + angle of chain stays from horizontal so steep that they would topple if a user leans back just a bit?
They're entirely usable and reasonably stable. Part of the process is cold-setting the rear triangle to a wider stance for stability, which can be seen in the photo. For example, the green Trek now has an OLD of about 225 mm - which should accommodate a tandem hub, drum brake, and a whole pile of spacers. The other frames are similarly spread. During this process, one gets firsthand feedback on the tubing material - inexpensive hi-ten frames are easy to spread, while nicer CrMo frames can put up a bit of a struggle.

This also means that aluminum, carbon fiber, and the occasional 753 frame aren't good candidates for this type of "up-cycling".

Last edited by RCMoeur; 03-29-23 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-29-23, 06:28 PM
Jeff Neese

Oh I do know what I had. Just consider it a personal protest to those that claim such vintage bikes are worth thousands of dollars and then never want to pay that much for the bike they say is worth that much. Mine wasn't mint condition. Though the chromed parts were very good with no rust blooming though.

Bare frame and fork together weighed over 6 pounds, so it was never going to be a light enough bike for me again no matter what I put on it. But for the 10 years I had it, 7 of which it was ridden often, it was fun.

My other vintage bikes I did give away or sold for a token sum.
There are people here on BF that would have loved to have it.
Old 03-30-23, 07:28 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by Zaskar
I don't sell my old bike. They sort of get rebuilt/born as single speeds, 1x, etc. Then the parts get pulled for something else. So every few years, I find myself looking at a 10+ year old frameset wondering what to do with it. Currently, it's a carbon 2009 Scott Addict SL. That was a badass frameset back then. It's what Cavendish road. But it's 14-yrs-old, has a couple scuffs, I'll never ride it again, and to top it off... it's a 61cm. I don't need a trainer bike (I have a Wahoo Bike). I also have plenty of other bikes for every/any occasion.

Best idea so far: wall art. But, meh... clutter. I suppose I could donate it. But really, is that frameset ever going to built back up in that channel?

WWYD?
Find your closest bicycle co-op and give them a call. They'll tell you whether they want it or not. If its a decent frame they would probably be happy to have it - it's what they do. Someone will build it up into a working bike.

You could also post it on Craigslist for free, or right here on BF. Again, someone may be happy to have it and build it into a working bike. At least try to find it a home and help someone that could use it.

If it's a Huffy or other Walmart BSO, something disposable, feel free to throw it away.
Old 03-30-23, 11:53 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Donate it.
Somewhere out there someone has a tall teenager who wants to try out racing and needs a crit bike, but doesn't want to spend big bucks.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 03-30-23, 01:40 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 967 Times in 641 Posts
if it is too old, I would give it to a charity so that someone could use it as a commuter.