Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 02-12-20, 05:59 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Only elite racers do 4K IP. Masters 35-49 do 3K and Masters 50+ do 2K. Some masters racers feel that the 2k is harder than the 4K. I suspect it is more about ones physiology and muscle composition than age and whether one favors a 4k v 2k. As you know, as the race get shorter one has to ride faster.

The same is true for the kilo, Elites and some age group masters race the kilo while masters 50+ race the 500 meters.
I would assume all of it is hard if doing it right!

I guess the 3k is why perhaps pursuit interval time for a workout is often 4min?

Wish I could try pursuit. Seems up my alley.

I sometimes pretend to do 4km outdoors for funsies to mix up riding the TT bike. I cheat and use a false flat downhill so the speed is on up there. Haha!
Old 02-12-20, 08:28 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I lost tons of time on black canyon. If you make it our here earlier Cypress I recommend sessioning it. You can climb it from Ramona, turnaround at the bottom of the descent, then do the descent + climb again. You can ignore the eastern half of the climb b/c it's done in one direction only and you won't ever need to descend it.

I'll be in this year. Its more of a bucket list thing, since my off road skills are terrible.

I've considered going down there to ride some sections and hills, still may do it. I'm about 80 miles away so its a drive but doable.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 02-13-20, 06:33 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
45 minute tempo block last night, 204 watts. Felt good, a little tough the last few minutes, but im glad things seem to be turning back around.
Likes For Wylde06:
Old 02-13-20, 08:42 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
The same is true for the kilo, Elites and some age group masters race the kilo while masters 50+ race the 500 meters.
I look forward to when I only have to do 500m. That last lap of the kilo....
Old 02-13-20, 09:26 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I look forward to when I only have to do 500m. That last lap of the kilo....
I hate when the gorilla jumps on my back in the kilo. The 500 is much more civilized.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 02-13-20, 10:01 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I would assume all of it is hard if doing it right!

I guess the 3k is why perhaps pursuit interval time for a workout is often 4min?

Wish I could try pursuit. Seems up my alley.

I sometimes pretend to do 4km outdoors for funsies to mix up riding the TT bike. I cheat and use a false flat downhill so the speed is on up there. Haha!
Pursuit is a very interesting discipline. It requires a standing start in a gear that you will use for the entire race, CdA is very important metric and the event uses all three human energy systems, ATP - PC, glycolytic and aerobic. It is approximately 55% aerobic and 45% anaerobic with a standing start. One tooth difference in the chainring makes a difference.

I do not think road intervals such as 3' 4' or 5' on a road bike comes close to doing a pursuit. One gets an insane amount of rest on a road bike in a short TT or interval on the road versus a fixed gear on the 250 meter track. For an elite to be competitive in the 4k pursuit, one needs 4:30 to 5 minute power at 120 rpm. There are no micro rests at all on the track. The cadence can be lowered by choosing a bigger gear but then the start is harder and a bigger gear can load up the legs for the last 500 meters. If there is a golf equivalent, it would be having a perfect swing and the ability to make 65 diverse shots in a row without an error. In a 20km TT, you get Mulligans.

The first time I did pursuit, I was not sure that I ever wanted to do another one as I coughed for 24 hours. Pursuit kills ones lungs because one is gasping for air during the end of the race as the O2 is being drained from your blood at the high cadence and your legs are on fire. Many track racers suck on inhalers due to the impact on the lungs.

Over time, racers get good at handling the sensations and optimizing lap times, the start, gearing and training protocol and riding the perfect lap. It is much more complicated than being good at a 4 to 5 minute interval on the road. However, having a great road interval on a TT bike is a tremendous asset in pursuit.

I think you would be superb at pursuit.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 02-13-20, 11:39 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Road attacks workout today. Hit it for 1min Z6 then hold upper Z4 lower Z5 (8min power) for 4min. Do this 4x with 5min rest.

Owwwwie.
Old 02-13-20, 01:52 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I'm kind of in a weird spot where last week was endurance week at the end of sweet spot base and next week I'm traveling so didn't want to go whole hog into a phase just to have it interrupted, so I've done some vo2 workouts. Tuesday was 18x1min @ 120%, very doable (followed by 60min z2). Today was going to be 12x1.5min @ 120% Cut myself off at 9 and did another 60mins z2, slightly less doable lol. Not sure how helpful just two workouts will be, but it was "nice" to change the training stimulus a little. I can't imagine doing 120% for 2 or 3 mins lol
Old 02-13-20, 01:57 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts

The first time I did pursuit, I was not sure that I ever wanted to do another one as I coughed for 24 hours. Pursuit kills ones lungs because one is gasping for air during the end of the race as the O2 is being drained from your blood at the high cadence and your legs are on fire. Many track racers suck on inhalers due to the impact on the lungs.
Overheard after a prolog:

"It sounds like a TB ward around here!"
Old 02-16-20, 12:40 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I'm at 20.5 for the week with another 5 on the plate today, all trainer. Because I hate myself. Most of it has been quite mellow endurance focusing on aerobic stuff and fat utilization (we'll pretend that's a thing), though I started out the week with some breakaway type efforts. Assuming I do the full 5 today it'll be my largest week ever, and I'm intending to do another couple of 5hr days on monday and tuesday to try and get in 30hrs over a rolling 7 day period. I really don't feel bad physically, it's more mentally taxing than anything. Lots and lots of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

If I can stomach it I'm going to extend the ultra high volume stuff through next weekend, take a short recovery period, and transition into high intensity work, as that should leave me about a month out from the beginning of race season.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 02-16-20, 12:44 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,568 Posts
bonkers!
Old 02-16-20, 12:58 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Looks like some better weather coming so hopefully can be outside for at least part of next week...
Old 02-17-20, 09:57 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
I did some Strava stalking last summer and never made it out to this climb. It looked like it'd be low-hanging fruit due to the low-ish power the leader had put out (296W). He's a friend of mine and a national champion CX racer, so I figured he just hadn't given it the stick (he was also dealing with some health stuff, so now I feel bad). Turns out, it's the stair steppiest of stair-stepping climbs, so my plan of "just hold 360" turned into "400/300/400/300/400/300 etc." Power started dropping near the top because I could swear I was cresting the top at least 4 different times, and I'm sure anyone could guess where those 4 times were from the graph.

Lol @ this data

Old 02-17-20, 10:47 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I am now in a skinny down phase which means eat less, ride more less gym. Last week was a bigger road week for me with most of the time pretty high quality endurance work.

9:29:15 Hours
142.3mi
Load: 433
Likes For Hermes:
Old 02-18-20, 06:19 AM
gerundium

Bikes: BMC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I'm at 20.5 for the week with another 5 on the plate today, all trainer. Because I hate myself. Most of it has been quite mellow endurance focusing on aerobic stuff and fat utilization (we'll pretend that's a thing), though I started out the week with some breakaway type efforts. Assuming I do the full 5 today it'll be my largest week ever, and I'm intending to do another couple of 5hr days on monday and tuesday to try and get in 30hrs over a rolling 7 day period. I really don't feel bad physically, it's more mentally taxing than anything. Lots and lots of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

If I can stomach it I'm going to extend the ultra high volume stuff through next weekend, take a short recovery period, and transition into high intensity work, as that should leave me about a month out from the beginning of race season.
any special tricks for this kind of trainer volume? This seems like insanity to me to do rides that long on the trainer.
Likes For gerundium:
Old 02-18-20, 09:10 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

^^^^
Deal with the Devil.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 02-18-20, 09:32 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Originally Posted by gerundium
any special tricks for this kind of trainer volume? This seems like insanity to me to do rides that long on the trainer.
Smart trainer/Zwift combo and a lot of TV. I have also had a bunch of annoying health issues and injuries the past few off seasons and this year I have not, so I'm embracing the motivation.

25.5 last week, 19.8k kj. I took yesterday off because I under ate and it ****ed my sleep up. Probably will get in 20-23hrs this week so will throw in some extra tempo or sweet spot.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 02-18-20, 10:09 AM
Cypress

We are catching a weather break right now, so I brought everything to the office to ride straight off the desk. It works out well, as there is only so much daylight, but my office is also right at the foothills of the Cascade mountain range. The climbs are longer and more consistent in grade than the coast range hills.

It's bittersweet to have fitness. Being fast is fun, but topography becomes a challenge for the (outdoor) workouts. I've got 2 x 15 threshold today, and that means I need a somewhat-steep climb at least 3 miles long, or a less-steep climb about 5 miles long. The ability to drop down into other valleys is a bonus to keep things fresh, as repeating the same hill over and over can get boring. Everything else in my area is rolling hills, which makes holding consistent power an absolute nightmare. I'm either in my 36 pushing up the stoss or spinning out my 53x11 down the lee side. Too much shifting to keep the power on.
Old 02-18-20, 12:20 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Did the 1:1 at lunch again today at 400w on and 140w off. Did the first set for 5 reps, second set for a new PB of 7 reps. 12min total at 400w within 30min workout and 9min within 20min time.

Toasty. Don't yak on the gym carpet, not on the carpet, ok..........good job.

I think the weeknight crit series with my teammate might be pretty fun this spring.

Also, did a 3hr team ride Sunday. We did some fast rotation then ended with the most crap-tastic cat 4/5 leadout trains ever seen for some KOM tries. First one we were leading out another guy for a KOM on a flat and I was going 2nd. I rolled into it easy and was holding my 1min power and looked back and was all alone. Fail. I wound up giving it another dig and got 4th on the segment......into a headwind. Womp womp. I would have assumed the guy behind me should have only had to hold like 350w or so for like 45seconds before his 15second dig.

We'll get it someday. Gotta figure out how much and how long each person can hold on for and still kick. Even at the end of the ride I could hold over 500 for my dig.

It was fun though!
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-18-20, 02:33 PM
Spesh

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Lots of stuff ahead this season. Might as well mix things up.
https://catwhatever.com/the-bell-lap...ve-never-done/
Likes For Spesh:
Old 02-18-20, 10:07 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

3 hour endurance ride along the coast. So this is the last year I am going to use the protocol of get strong in the gym and then skinny down. Granted, my power is up but so is my weight and removing the weight is like watching wet paint dry. Why is it so much fun on the way up and so much suffering on the way down. Rhetorical question.
Old 02-19-20, 07:49 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by Spesh
Lots of stuff ahead this season. Might as well mix things up.
https://catwhatever.com/the-bell-lap...ve-never-done/
From that, I share with my wife the love of good rest. She doesn't do endurance sport, but we get our proper time in.

I feel like my sleep hours are superior to others I ride with and despite my intensity to hours ratio being a bit beyond the recommended 80/20......I manage fine. It's the intensity I find keeps me able on low hours able to hurt guys who are often on 30, 50, or 100% more hours per week than I am.

That combo of sleep/recovery and intensity really helps.
Old 02-19-20, 08:51 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
No training for much of this week, I’m in Puerto Rico. Didn’t help seeing a bunch of cyclists finishing a three day event here yesterday lol a bunch of middle aged dudes with way too nice gear
Old 02-19-20, 09:29 AM
Spesh

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
From that, I share with my wife the love of good rest. She doesn't do endurance sport, but we get our proper time in.

I feel like my sleep hours are superior to others I ride with and despite my intensity to hours ratio being a bit beyond the recommended 80/20......I manage fine. It's the intensity I find keeps me able on low hours able to hurt guys who are often on 30, 50, or 100% more hours per week than I am.

That combo of sleep/recovery and intensity really helps.
I think the devil is in the details here too. My goal this season, more than any other, is to be crit fast. 60 or 90 minutes of balls to the wall. This is a little more in line with my physiology, which helps, but in years past I've been wanting to be able to race the early season stage races and if you're talking about racing 250 miles in 3 days, you really need to put in some volume (maybe I'm projecting a bit). In lieu of the ability to train 15-20 hours a week, the training has to be intense. This isn't anything new but I don't think I've ever really ramped it up this early in the season. It might fail miserably but we'll see.
Old 02-19-20, 09:32 AM
Cypress

Felt like ass on the bike yesterday. Not totally sure why, but if I had to guess I'd say it was the cold weather. Ride temp hovered around 45 and dipped to 41 at one point with frost still on the side of the road. During my 2x15 the legs kept bouncing back and forth between "YEAH BOY 400W" and "dude 320 is all I've got." Settling in at an even power was a no-go. What's odd (maybe not odd?) is that I still averaged the threshold power on the nose, even with the up and down power.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.