Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Carbon Rim Stress...Cracks?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-20, 10:54 AM
AL7000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I have an old Reynolds Stratus DV Tubular wheelset. I was inspecting the rim on the rear wheel and noticed several "cracks" beneath the clear coat. None of them have broken the surface of the clear coat, nor have any of them ran to the spoke holes in the rim. There are several and they seem to be evenly distributed around the rim. I haven't noticed any on the front wheel, just the rear.

Old 07-17-20, 11:32 AM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
At first I thought they seemed too regularly spaced for cracks, but later photo's clearly show cracking. Looks like future wall art to me.
Old 07-17-20, 01:15 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by AL7000
I have an old Reynolds Stratus DV Tubular wheelset. I was inspecting the rim on the rear wheel and noticed several "cracks" beneath the clear coat. None of them have broken the surface of the clear coat, nor have any of them ran to the spoke holes in the rim. There are several and they seem to be evenly distributed around the rim. I haven't noticed any on the front wheel, just the rear.
Rest easy, those are not cracks. Those are slight wrinkles in the layup of the carbon. It looks like the flat sheet of carbon pinched a little where the radius decreased when they were putting them in the mold. They've been that way since they came out of the factory.
Old 07-17-20, 06:21 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
ljsense makes sense, but I'd shoot an email to Reynolds if I were you.