Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do Chris King 1-1/8" headsets ever make noises?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-19-20, 08:58 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts

I've got a mystery click on my road bike that I am beginning to wonder if it is coming from the cockpit of my titanium road bike. The ticking sound can be heard while standing to climb mostly but also during seating climbing. I have a Tom Ritchey C260 carbon/aluminum stem with torx bolts that I believe are torqued to the correct spec. I had some braking chatter (slight) so I tightened the top cap (didn't torque it to spec, just went by feel) then re-torqued the stem bolts. I may have gone a bit too far because the bike while taut, is less easy to ride no handed now.

This is my only experience with Chris King headsets. I was just wondering if anyone ever experienced any "clunk" or "click" sounds emanating from the bearings. I believe I have done my due diligence sorting out the usual suspects from the cranks, pedals, cassette, quick release skewers, seatpost, and rear wheel. The wheels are new and custom made with only about 300 miles on them. My LBS wheelbuilder provides a complementary "re-tension and true" for all the wheels he builds so long as you bring it back in a reasonable time frame. I did take the rear wheel back to him and he trued it and tightened all the spokes a wee bit more. I did not have him do the front yet since it is not out of true. The lightweight butted DT Swiss spokes are built 2x into a 24 hole Dura Ace 7800 front hub. It is possible that the clicking is coming from the crossing of the spokes in the front or loose spokes, and I will have him check that.

But right now I am investigating the possibility of whether Chris King headsets ever make noises. Let me know if you have any experience with any of this...
Old 08-19-20, 09:09 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
It would surprise me if it were the headset. I've had them on several bikes and have never experienced any noise.

I'd check the brake lever clamps, maybe, if you think it's coming from the handlebar area.

But if you want to further investigate the headset, you could pull the fork and make sure the cups and baseplate are fully seated and the bearings feel smooth. If all that is ok, I think your hunt for the noise lies elsewhere.
Likes For ljsense:
Old 08-19-20, 09:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Not if properly adjusted & not damaged.

I bought a bike with a CK Grip nut 1.25" in a Bike Friday .. collet system not assembled properly.. I had to redo its assembly..
after a few years it had a centering detent feel, But it was not making a sound..

CK Company gave me a new one as they have a 10 year guarantee..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-19-20 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-19-20, 11:16 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
ChrisKing headsets make a kind of laughing-taunting sound while the bike is sitting...... you paid $150 for a $50 headset. You can hear it at night if you keep the bike in your home.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 08-19-20, 02:33 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Chris King headsets had a reputation for creaking in the MTB world a while ago. I don’t know if this is still the case.

Had something to do with not using the wedge expansion ring thingy that practically everyone else uses. Maybe that has changed.
Old 08-19-20, 03:25 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 3,298 Posts
When you are out of the saddle putting some power into the pedals, you and your bike are surging forward with a bunch of rapid acceleration on every pedal stroke. That'll shake up everything and get cables, wires, zipper tags on your bags and lots of other stuff pounding on the frame.

But if you over or under tightened the headset, then you might have a click. Though I'd think you'd feel it more than hear it.
Old 08-19-20, 03:36 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 311 Posts
I was having fits with a 1 1/8" CK headset on my race MTB years ago. It wasn't the headsets fault, but was traced to the Syncros stem and it's horrible clamping design. It was using a perpendicular cylinder to secure the stem to the steerer. No matter what, after hard riding it would work just a tiny bit loose, and...................................................click, click.

Once I swapped the stem to a more robust setup, it solved the issue. That bike is still in use today (by my nephew).

ETA- As to due diligence, I found the source of a click one time, and it was coming from a cracked aluminum spacer within a freehub body! Talk about a lucky find.

Last edited by Erzulis Boat; 08-19-20 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-19-20, 06:32 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I have a 14 year old 1-1/8" CK threadless headset on my Litespeed with almost 51,000 miles and it's completely smooth and silent. Mine is the previous design that uses an O-ring as the centering device, not the newer inverted cone expansion ring type.

​​​​​​Despite that It feels like it will last forever.