Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Official BF Eroica California 2021 Roll Call!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Official BF Eroica California 2021 Roll Call!

Old 04-22-21, 12:28 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
@gugie and @Davestster, Thanks for the feedback on the Cypress climb. I may have to adjust my gearing a bit and I haven't decided which bike to bring, but I've got time to sort that out. I wish I could join you two for Tourica down the coast, but that's at the start of the school year and I won't be able to take the needed time off. At least I'll have the summer off to get in some training. I'd love to join you for the first leg of Tourica if possible, and then meet up in Cambria. Have you decided on the route you are riding? I'm leaning toward La Via Dello Scalatore since I have to drive back Sunday evening.
Old 04-22-21, 12:34 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
@gugie and @Davestster, Thanks for the feedback on the Cypress climb. I may have to adjust my gearing a bit and I haven't decided which bike to bring, but I've got time to sort that out. I wish I could join you two for Tourica down the coast, but that's at the start of the school year and I won't be able to take the needed time off. At least I'll have the summer off to get in some training. I'd love to join you for the first leg of Tourica if possible, and then meet up in Cambria. Have you decided on the route you are riding? I'm leaning toward La Via Dello Scalatore since I have to drive back Sunday evening.
Day 1 is up King's Mountain, down Tunitas Creek, Hwy 1 to Costanoa. Actual starting point hasn't been decided, but last time I did it starting from The People's Republic I took BART to San Bruno, road up Sneath (damn steep between 280 and Skyline!), then Skyline to Sawyer Camp Trail, Canada Road to Woodside, and off you go up Kings Mountain. From there you can decide how far you want to go.

Pinging @73StellaSX76 if you want to join up. Note that we're leaving on a Monday, which might limit outside participation.
Old 04-22-21, 01:40 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 321 Posts
Update: My surgery went fine but they ended up removing around a 2 1/2" diameter chunk of skin. I had a pressure bandage for the first 6 days and now just letting it heal. I put in 39 miles on Zwift last Saturday and 28 yesterday. I've been cleared to ride outdoors as long as I put something over the wound to keep things from sticking to it. I'm headed out to the hills on Sunday and it's time to start ramping it back up!!
Likes For Brad L:
Old 04-22-21, 05:27 PM
73StellaSX76

Bikes: 2016 SOMA DCD, 2014 Niner RLT9, 2008 Ibis Silk SL, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 1973 Stella SX76

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Pinging @73StellaSX76 if you want to join up. Note that we're leaving on a Monday, which might limit outside participation.
I won't make the tour down the coast but plan to head down Saturday or Sunday morning for the Eroica ride (I'm riding the LVDS route), heading back home Sunday after the ride. I can shuttle luggage or alternate bikes either way for you guys if there is a need. I have ridden the Stella down the coast from the Bay Area to the Mexican border c.1985. It's a pretty ride, and traffic should be less after Labor Day.
Likes For 73StellaSX76:
Old 04-22-21, 08:19 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 2,509 Times in 1,049 Posts
Keep in mind that Highway 1 is currently closed from 14 miles south to Big Sure down to close to Lucia due to a "slip out." The Caltrans highway condition web page is your friend so you can keep track.
Old 04-22-21, 08:37 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
In fairness, if you're talking about riding south to get to Cambria and have to divert inland due to the slide on 1, there are some amazing roads through the hills and the military base that drop you out onto the Nacimiento-Ferguson road.
Old 04-22-21, 09:29 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Keep in mind that Highway 1 is currently closed from 14 miles south to Big Sure down to close to Lucia due to a "slip out." The Caltrans highway condition web page is your friend so you can keep track.
Highway 1 is opening tomorrow at Rat Creek (search Big Sur Rat Creek).

This could easily be called the Tour of If. If we all get our jabs in time (I think everyone in our group has or soon will), If Highway 1 is fixed (done), and IF our old bones can get us from the Bay Area to Cambria in 5 days (questionable!)

All bike tours, especially with a group require a bit of audaciousness. This is an example of skating to where the puck is headed (or where we think it is headed). Besides, there's no real commitment until our feet get clipped in and that first turn of the pedals.

Last edited by gugie; 04-22-21 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-22-21, 09:32 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by 73StellaSX76
I won't make the tour down the coast but plan to head down Saturday or Sunday morning for the Eroica ride (I'm riding the LVDS route), heading back home Sunday after the ride. I can shuttle luggage or alternate bikes either way for you guys if there is a need. I have ridden the Stella down the coast from the Bay Area to the Mexican border c.1985. It's a pretty ride, and traffic should be less after Labor Day.
Some of our group might take you up on this! Will look forward to seeing you and your Stella again. I rode from SLO to San Diego in 1977 after graduating from high school, it'll be great to revisit probably the best part of that stretch again.
Old 04-22-21, 11:28 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Originally Posted by gugie
Highway 1 is opening tomorrow at Rat Creek (search Big Sur Rat Creek).

Well, I was right today. I am delighted that I will be wrong as of tomorrow.

This is a silver lining to an unspoken and not entirely welcome cloud - there has been precious little rain since the ones that washed out Hwy 1 and spawned that massive (by California standards) lightening storm that caused so many very bad fires.
Old 04-28-21, 09:47 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
I Need to Transfer My Registration

I can't make it this time. I have registered for both the Saturday Nova ride and the Sunday Eroica CA ride. Let me know if you are interested in doing both of these rides for the price of Sunday's ride which I think was 150. (The organization is allowing transfers but not refunds.)
Jeff
Old 04-28-21, 11:40 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Classtime
I can't make it this time. I have registered for both the Saturday Nova ride and the Sunday Eroica CA ride. Let me know if you are interested in doing both of these rides for the price of Sunday's ride which I think was 150. (The organization is allowing transfers but not refunds.)
Jeff
Sorry to hear that, we'll miss you.
Old 05-05-21, 08:17 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
Quick question (sorry if I missed this somewhere): How to you even register for this year's Eroica California? I logged in to my account but it doesn't even come up as a future event... Thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-21, 09:32 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
I was told that registration will open on the tenth.
Old 05-12-21, 11:20 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Eroica 2021 date change! Now Sept. 19

Time to rebook accomodations if you can...

Registration is opening May 14 for those who don't have their previous registration in escrow...

I'm 50% ticked off (our grupetto from the Bay Area has a lot of reservations made already), 50% glad that they've finally opened registration, which means they probably have locked in permits, COVID mitigation, the state of California has improved COVID numbers, etc.

So, go ahead and vent if you need, but I think it's time to accept it and move forward with plans.
Old 05-12-21, 11:57 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
Yea , I am feeling a little frustrated at this point. I have vented on CR and will do everything I can to be there mainly because of the people and the bikes , not because the organization has been cooperative. As Gugie put it , we have been in "escrow" for quite some time and information on the event we paid for over year ago( a year and a half for us early birds) has been only posted on the web site. In past years information was sent out periodically leading up to the event via email but not this time , even when I asked. I am sure we will forget about these frustrations when it actually happens(fingers crossed) and we are with our bike buddies and drooling over the eye candy. I will put my wife in charge of changing up plans. I wouldn't let a bad move on the part of the organizers spoil my excitement for the event. Thanks for letting us know , Mark. Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 05-12-21, 01:08 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

I think I'm at the point in my life where I don't think I'll be interested in these types of events anymore unless I know the organizers personally (talking about you, @mountaindave!) My favorite parts of the last 2 Eroica's I did were the comraderie of 5 guys jammed into an RV in 2018, then a dozen packed into a hippie hotel in 2019. It wasn't jamming into a fairgrounds building waiting in line to get a decent plate of food amongst the din of 600+ other people, the Concours was nice, but every year Bob Freeman puts on something similar (and better) up in the PNW, and the food doesn't hold a candle to what Cino provides. The roads are always there for the riding regardless. So what am I looking for in an event? Comraderie. You can't manufacture that with fancy words and websites.

If they can't bother to send out some email updates, or just update the site from time to time, the event is about them, and not about us.
Old 05-12-21, 01:46 PM
Kabuki12

Who could forget the "Magic Bus" ? Good times for sure
Old 05-12-21, 02:53 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Who could forget the "Magic Bus" ? Good times for sure
Old 05-12-21, 03:37 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 311 Posts
Heaven- Greeted by the English, cooked for by the French, entertained by the Italians, and scheduled by the Germans.

Hell- Greeted by the French, cooked for by the English, entertained by the Germans, and scheduled by the Italians.

What did you expect?

ETA- I almost made hotel reservations a few months ago, but after the 2019 Eroica, I came to a few realizations!

Last edited by Erzulis Boat; 05-12-21 at 03:43 PM.
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 05-13-21, 12:12 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

When were they planning to tell those of us whose money they have had for over a year? Yeah, I understand Covid and the problems it must have caused the organizers. I understand that sh*t happens. But even mediocre customer service says you keep your paying clientele informed, and sooner rather than later, so we can make the appropriate changes to our arrangements. That means e-mailing us about the change in date, not letting us stumble onto it by ourselves. In the wake of the substandard organization in 2019, this is not a good look.

I've successfully changed my motel reservation, and I've confirmed that my ride reservation is still in place. At this point, I still plan to go. But the Eroica organizers have lost a good amount of goodwill, and the supply is not inexhaustible.

When Wes was in charge, he clearly gave his heart and soul to this event and us participants. It really showed. All my dealings with the Eroica Italy people makes me feel like they regard us as an afterthought. I will most likely stick with it for 2021. But if the attitude from Italia doesn't improve, I will think long and hard about going again in 2022.
Old 05-13-21, 01:01 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Jeff
does the change to Sept. 19 make any difference for you, assuming this date sticks?
Old 05-13-21, 02:06 AM
Kabuki12

I did get an email in English and an actual apology after Kaori (no longer with Eroica California) sent me the new contact info. I clicked on the new contact and fired off a pretty firm statement of my feelings of how we have been treated by the organizers. They said they knew there are problems and are making efforts to make it better. I mentioned a few of my frustrations as far as 2019 was concerned, a dirt field for the headquarters, no poster in our bags(they ran out) , the less than challenging route for us short course folks , and the fruit plate for our stop (some folks were lucky enough to snag a sandwich). I also told them of the lack of consideration. Let’s just hope that it sticks as far as the date goes without further frustrations. If it wasn’t for Linn’s wonderful support in 2019 it could have been worse. Also they blamed the city for the sudden date change.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 05-13-21, 08:28 AM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
I'm surprised at the lack of a simple Email to keep the paid riders up to date on such a Very important announcement as a New Scheduled Date Change.

I heard of the new date on Facebook from a member of the S.D. Vintage cycling club, otherwise I probably would have been too late to rechedule a new Hotel reservation as I rarely get on the LEroica website. I'm not expecting much now, but I'm pretty optimistic that the Event will be adequate at best, LOL.
As the Only mass Vintage Event in the California area , Im still not going to miss out on it. Now the only thing left is to increase the saddle time for that 172 mile weekend ride.
Likes For Manny66:
Old 05-13-21, 11:15 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

They said they knew there are problems and are making efforts to make it better.

That's been something of a mantra for two years now. At some point, it becomes meaningless.

Also they blamed the city for the sudden date change.
The sudden change of date may be on the city - again, sh*t happens - but the failure to communicate properly with their already-paid-up customers is 100% on the organizers.

As of this morning, I still have not heard directly from the Eroica folks. I'll be paying attention to if/when they do. If they open it up for new registrations without first informing the already-registered and giving them a reasonable amount of time to change travel and lodging arrangements . . . . well, that would say a lot about where we fit on Eroica's priority list.
Old 05-13-21, 11:44 AM
SwimmerMike 

Bikes: 1981 Bianchi Specialissim, 1976 Colnago Super. 1971 Bob Jackson. 2012 Kestrel 4000. 2012 Willier. 2016 Fuji Cross 1.1

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 387 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer

I'll be paying attention to if/when they do. If they open it up for new registrations without first informing the already-registered and giving them a reasonable amount of time to change travel and lodging arrangements . . . . well, that would say a lot about where we fit on Eroica's priority list.

According to the website the registration opens tomorrow, it sounds like their priority is obvious.

I procrastinated on making reservations (I figured I believe it was going to happen when both the registration was open and there was a clear path for California to open up). It looks like I need to get on it now.

Do most people do the Saturday ride also? I've been debating bring my Cyclocross bike down and do the first day to check out the course and make any last minute adjustments (tires, gearing, etc. if required) to Sunday's bike.

Mike
Likes For SwimmerMike:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.