Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carbon Fiber vs Aluminum and Designated Use riders

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-21, 04:16 PM
mwrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm sure Carbon vs Aluminum has come up on this forum, but being new here, I can't find the thread. I'm 64 and have crashed a few times in the last 10 or so years. The last time was this week, and I still don't know how I lost control. But, I bounced back up, checked the bike, carried on. I've always had aluminum bikes and never had a problem. I've been wondering lately if a carbon fiber bike is worth my investment and at the same time, wondering if a clunker like happened 2 days ago would crack a carbon frame? I live in the San Fernando Valley. My usual route is the bike path that stretches from Sherman Oaks west to Canoga Park and north to Granada Hills. Round trip is 30 miles. I was reading the warranty on Piranello's website and it specifically states, "The Products have been designed for specific uses consistent with their characteristics. For example, the racing models will be intended solely to be used on a track or a smooth road, while MTB are intended for outdoor usage on unpaved and/or downhill roads. Therefore, each Product should be used in accordance with its characteristics and structure (“Designated Use”)."

The bike path is part poured and rolled asphalt and part concrete slabs with the inevitable uneven seams. You can't help but hit a bump. There's cracked and uneven spots along the way. Do all manufacturers of carbon fiber bikes have this type of "Designated Use" rider in their warranties? If so, I guess I'll stick to aluminum.
Old 06-04-21, 04:27 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Watch this video. Spoiler alert: carbon frames are much stronger.

As for disclaimers about intended use, all bike manufacturers state them regardless of frame material. So if you go gap jumping on a road bike and the frame breaks you can’t claim on the warranty.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-04-21, 04:39 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
The aluminum frame bend and deformed, while carbon frame shattered and failed catastrophically...I'll stick with aluminum and steel.
Old 06-04-21, 04:42 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Welcome to BF! I don't know if carbon fiber frame durability has been discussed here but I expect folks may have opinions. I'd probably prefer steel if I planned to wreck frequently.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-04-21, 04:47 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by mwrider
I was reading the warranty on Piranello's website and it specifically states, "The Products have been designed for specific uses consistent with their characteristics. For example, the racing models will be intended solely to be used on a track or a smooth road, while MTB are intended for outdoor usage on unpaved and/or downhill roads. Therefore, each Product should be used in accordance with its characteristics and structure (“Designated Use”)."
This is why I prefer steel framed or aluminum framed MTBs or cross bikes. You can ride them anywhere and don't have to worry about any "designated use".
Old 06-04-21, 04:49 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
At 64 (same age as me) I'd worry more about breaking a hip than the bike. Not sure what kind of crashes you have experienced but if just falling over I would not really worry about either. As was mentioned above, steel is what I'd get if really concerned about it.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 06-04-21, 05:00 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Canyon calls it "Bike Classification" -
Bikes of this category are designed for riding on hard-surface roads where the wheels remain in permanent contact to the ground. These are in general road racing bicycles with racing handlebars or straight handlebars, triathlon or time trial bicycles. The permissible maximum overall weight comprising rider, luggage and bicycle should not exceed 120 kg. Under certain circumstances this permissible maximum weight can be further limited by the component manufacturers’ recommendations for use. Proven cyclocross and gravel bikes with racing handlebars and cantilever or disc brakes are a special case in this category. In addition, these bikes are also suitable for gravel paths and off-road trails where a short loss of tyre contact with the ground due to small stairs or steps at a height of 15 to 20 cm can occur.
https://www.canyon.com/en-us/gravel-...sl-8/2850.html

I bet most bike manufacturers put out this kind of statement to help them battle overly aggressive warranty claims.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 06-04-21, 05:02 PM
mwrider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dislocated my shoulder about 8 years ago when I fell. The blood pressure medication I was on lowered it too low, and I blacked out on the bike path. The crash I had this week was minor. Over corrected leaning away from the fence long the bike path while laid out on my aerobars. If I weighed 230 (my weight pre lockdown) rather than 195 (my weight now), I might have broken something.
Old 06-04-21, 05:11 PM
mwrider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My wife was mad at me. I'm more concerned about that.
Likes For mwrider:
Old 06-04-21, 05:12 PM
mwrider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the video. I hadn't seen that demo before.
Old 06-04-21, 05:20 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I have a "pro" lever carbon bike and have put 26,000 miles on it. I ride some MUPs but mostly road. The roads on Long Island are far from pristine with plenty of potholes, patched section and uneven pavement.

I'm 200#, the bike is 14# and i'm 65.

Life is short, buy the bike of your dreams and ride the crap out of it.

BTW... i've you've never watched any of the "cobble" classics such as Paris-Roubaix, take a look at the surfaces they ride.

Old 06-04-21, 05:32 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
If the weight and ride quality of CF is worth it to you, get it.

I would not worry about crashing it.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-04-21, 06:03 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3410 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
If strength and longevity are the important features, there's no contest.

Carbon fiber beats aluminum every time.

The one weakness of carbon fiber is it doesn't like to be crushed or dented. If you expect to be smashing your frame against rocks, then pick aluminum.

Old 06-05-21, 06:31 PM
mwrider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, for he video and the advice. The cobblestones look like a brutal ride.
Old 06-05-21, 08:37 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Unless there’s some crucial performance advantage that only carbon will give you, I’d stick with metal. It's pretty durable stuff.

Last edited by Rolla; 06-05-21 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-05-21, 10:29 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I don’t own carbon, but know enough people with carbon bikes, especially mountain bikes, to not see an issue with the material.

I would be a bit more concerned with the crashes and what geometry would work best for your riding. If the bike doesn’t fit well or isn’t as stable as you want, you need to get a bike that fits your riding now and in the coming years. You don’t need to get a real dog when it comes to performance, but maybe something that won’t be an issue negotiating certain situations.

My Cannondale Criterium has steep angles and it is a blast to ride, but as I’ve gotten older I feel I need to be aware that it is less forgiving and over-correcting can have consequences. I’m not ready to give it up, but the day I do, I’ll be looking for a bike that is more stable.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 06-05-21 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-06-21, 06:39 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
If CF isn't any more fragile or likely to fail than metal, why all the "Is this scratch/nick/scrape/whatever on my CF bike safe to ride?" threads on BF?
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 06-06-21, 07:16 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
If CF isn't any more fragile or likely to fail than metal, why all the "Is this scratch/nick/scrape/whatever on my CF bike safe to ride?" threads on BF?
Because..... BF.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-06-21, 07:22 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3410 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I’d stick with metal. It's pretty durable stuff.
"pretty durable"

No metal is as durable (fatigue resistant), strong, or stiff as carbon fiber.

Last edited by terrymorse; 06-06-21 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-06-21, 08:23 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
No metal is as durable (fatigue resistant) ... as carbon fiber.
Durability is about more than fatigue. Compare failure modes.

Last edited by Rolla; 06-06-21 at 08:34 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 06-07-21, 12:42 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
This is one of those topics where science makes no difference.

Buy whatever you like.

At our age, if you crash hard enough to damage the frame, the real problem is paying for the ambulance and emergency room treatment .... and the cast, the cane, the PT .......

Funny part to me is that we all know a lot of cyclists, and we all know a lot of cyclists who ride CF. Somehow that Actual data pool is ignored so that folks can debate stuff they searched for online to support their prejudices. And then they claim "Science."

Just for kicks watch the F1 race from Baku from 6-6-21. A couple 200-mph crashes .... sadly both drivers walked away uninjured because they foolishly put their faith in carbon fiber.

I weigh about an eighth of a ton---and most of my bikes have 20/24 or 24/28 spoke counts. Everyone says I weigh 70 pounds too much for such low spoke counts. In my ignorance .... I don't have wheel issues nor do I break spokes. if only I understood science better .......
Old 06-07-21, 05:50 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
This is why I prefer steel framed or aluminum framed MTBs or cross bikes. You can ride them anywhere and don't have to worry about any "designated use".
That is simply not true. Regardless of frame material you cannot ride any bike anywhere. In the modern world of litigation all modern bikes come with "designated use" statements. They are usually over-stated, but you can't go riding bikes on terrain way beyond what they were designed for and expect them not to break. This has nothing to do with carbon vs metal frames.
Old 06-07-21, 07:09 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Quoting:

"My
usual route is the bike path..."

and

"...while
laid out on my aerobars."

What the heck? Why in the world would you be riding aero bars on a multi use path? Are you time trialing?
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 06-07-21, 07:40 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The aluminum frame bend and deformed, while carbon frame shattered and failed catastrophically...I'll stick with aluminum and steel.
The aluminum would be folded in half long before it reached the load that made the carbon fail.
Old 06-07-21, 08:03 AM
Cpn_Dunsel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Carbon fiber is a superior material for bicycles.

Period.
Likes For Cpn_Dunsel:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.