Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo brake levers

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Campagnolo brake levers

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-21, 10:16 PM
G.Varela

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 15 Posts
Campagnolo brake levers

Hi guys. I have a question. Why do vintage campy levers go for so much coin? It turns out that if I want to have full campy on my latest resto, I'm going to have to pay more for the levers than for the whole bike, lol.
Old 07-10-21, 10:52 PM
cheffyjay

Bikes: Masi Gran Criterium, Derosa, Ron Cooper, Davidson, Miyata 912, Le Jeune, Klein Rascals, AMP Research B3, B4, B5, PX10,Holdsworth, Schwinn Paramount, Frejus, Erickson, Simoncini SLX, Cecil Walker

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 52 Posts
it is weird. I've got two sets of calipers myself and hoping to find a reasonably priced pair. I've done modolo until I can find some. Suntour Superbe levers, conversely, are fairly common but the Superbe drivetrain parts are more expensive than Campagnolo.
Old 07-10-21, 11:08 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3882 Post(s)
Liked 6,475 Times in 3,205 Posts
Because they're beautiful, especially in their original, glowing anodization.

Fortunately you can substitute Triomphe, Victory, or Gran Sport while you're looking for your prized pair of Record or Super Record. Maybe even find some with a lot of road rash that you can polish up to a mirror finish.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-10-21, 11:16 PM
G.Varela

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 15 Posts
Lots of nice alternatives out there, but you know how it is, you get something in your head, and it's got to be that.
Likes For G.Varela:
Old 07-11-21, 06:42 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
My Bianchi came with Modolos, which are very similar to the Campags, but I substituted Shimano aeros because, in my hands, their shorter reach and greater leverage facilitate safer, faster panic stops. This is also why I never cared for Mafac brake levers, but really like Weinmann Vainqueur 999s and their DiaCompe clones, which fit my hands extremely well.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-11-21, 07:03 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by G.Varela
Hi guys. I have a question. Why do vintage campy levers go for so much coin? It turns out that if I want to have full campy on my latest resto, I'm going to have to pay more for the levers than for the whole bike, lol.
which vintage levers? SR/NR era? While there may have been tens of thousands many many have been well used and scratched up. Then there are the hoods which tend to degrade so if you nice 40+ year old levers you gotta pay.

CampI did a Shipmano thing with the Chorus and later brakes incorporating the QR into lever so if you’re using those brakes you kinda need their levers. Again most are 30ish and if you want nice ones you gotta pay.

personally I think the Chorus era are the best levers since you can run them aero or traditional and the larger size gives you more to to grab while you’re trying to climb an overpass or speed bump

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-11-21, 07:07 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by G.Varela
Hi guys. I have a question. Why do vintage campy [insert component here] go for so much coin? It turns out that if I want to have full campy on my latest resto, I'm going to have to pay more for the [insert component here] than for the whole bike, lol.
Fixed that for you.
Old 07-11-21, 05:27 PM
wschellen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 32 Posts
I have a theory on this. I was working at a shop in the late 80s when everyone suddenly wanted aero levers and clip in pedals. I remember swapping out lots of SR levers for DiaCompe aero ones. No one wanted the old levers anymore and as a result they were thrown in the trash. Same with campy SR pedals which are also very pricey now. Had I not been a stupid kid at the time I would have a box of both right now that I could use for retirement. So yes I think it’s supply and demand.
Old 07-11-21, 06:12 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
A lot of high end bikes compromised on the brakes to save money. Modolos, weinmann centerpulls, mafac racers were on bikes that were otherwise super or nuovo record equipped. The nuovo record brake levers just weren't as plentiful as other nuovo record bits and consequently are less common.