Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

D and H canal

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

D and H canal

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-21, 11:09 PM
flyjimmy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
D and H canal

Anyone familiar with the D and H canal. Can you bike from Port Jervis? Are there places to camp.I’m trying to plan a couple day camping trip with my 13 year old. I can reach Port Jervis By train.
Old 07-24-21, 05:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
It does not really exist anymore, at least not around PJ. If you’re imagining something like the C&O canal path, I’m afraid you’re out of luck. I’ve camped in nearby Goddefroy. You can see remnants of the actual canal, but it’s dry and there is no path.

Can you get to Trenton? You could ride the D&R feeder canal path, cross over to PA at some point, ride the D&L canal path and camp at Upper Black Eddy then return the next day.

Last edited by indyfabz; 07-24-21 at 05:09 AM.
Old 07-24-21, 03:06 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
I rode from Hancock down to philadelphia along the Delaware some years ago, and my recollection from back then is that the only stretch where there is an off-road option is south of Easton. Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact route we took in the area of Port Jervis.
Old 07-24-21, 04:20 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by AeroGut
I rode from Hancock down to philadelphia along the Delaware some years ago, and my recollection from back then is that the only stretch where there is an off-road option is south of Easton. Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact route we took in the area of Port Jervis.
He’s talking about the D&H canal, which went east-west and was built in the 1800s by the Delaware & Hudson Transportation Company. The company later founded the D&H Railway Co.

The route south down the river from Port Jervis is quite nice if you know what you’re doing. (Where to switch between NJ and PA. It’s probably my favorite localish tour.) And yes, you can pick up the D&L Trail in Easton. On the Jersey side you can also pick up the D&R feeder canal path between Milford and Frenchtown. That will take you all the way to Trenton and passes by the famous spot where Washington crossed the Delaware.

Last edited by indyfabz; 07-24-21 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-24-21, 06:39 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
He’s talking about the D&H canal, which went east-west and was built in the 1800s by the Delaware & Hudson Transportation Company. The company later founded the D&H Railway Co..
The middle section of the historic D&H canal followed the Delaware river northwest from Port jervis to Lackawaxen, which was part of the route I took. If OP was considering going in that direction, I was making the point that there was no off-road option (ie remaining canal towpath) for that stretch that I'm aware of.
Old 07-24-21, 07:08 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by AeroGut
The middle section of the historic D&H canal followed the Delaware river northwest from Port jervis to Lackawaxen, which was part of the route I took. If OP was considering going in that direction, I was making the point that there was no off-road option (ie remaining canal towpath) for that stretch that I'm aware of.
Correct. Back in ‘01 I did a long weekend event at Eddy Farm Resort in PJ. Did day rides each day. The last day we came down through Lackawaxen back to PJ. Rode across the Roebling Viaduct that carried the canal over the Delaware.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roeb...aware_Aqueduct

Roebling also designed and built the suspension bridge across the river from Riegelsville, PA, a bit south of Easton. You can access it from the D&L canal path. Pretty bridge.

Last edited by indyfabz; 07-24-21 at 07:13 PM.