Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Got Some Riding Gloves - Please Critique

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-15, 08:38 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts

I rode in this morning with just normal bike gloves and my fingers were cold at first then warmed up as my body warmed up. It's only going to get colder. I do have a pair of plain work gloves that I can wear to block the wind and add some small warmth but again that's only going to last so long. If I am going to bike all Winter as long as it isn't dangerous (to me) conditions I'm going to have to take care of the hands. Feet are for another thread!

I went back and forth on trying to use layering to cove all situations. The gloves I ended up buying are the Pearl Izumi Elite Softshell glove. Images are way below. I figure I'd use the progression below, assuming I bought a cheap pair of wind/moisture proof lobster glove shells.

1 - Regular cycling gloves
2 - Regular Cycling Gloves + Lobster shells.
3 - Elite Softshell Glove
4 - Elite Softshell Glove + Lobster
5 - Stay home

Old 11-02-15, 09:20 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
"Please Critique"

Good: If they're comfortable, and in your price range
Bad: If they're not comfortable, or not in your price range

I have 5 different "weights" of cheapo department store gloves, and 1 pair of "good" REI gloves on sale for $20. I wear the good gloves down to 15f, and the other for warmer temps. I also have some very thin knit gloves as liners for the super cold days.

Sometimes I bring a couple different pairs to swap if I expect it to warm up part way through.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-02-15, 10:15 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Hand/foot warmth are somewhat of a personal comfort thing. You don't mention what "cold" means to you. 40ºF? 10ºF? PI usually has little thermometer on their gloves to indicate the range of "cold" they believe the glove is suitable for. I have two pair of long fingered gloves. One is a cheap pair of thin leather biking gloves that are good for fall when it is chilly early/later in the day. I also have a heavier pair of PI gloves for my winter temps down to 35ºF.

Those gloves look pretty decent. The lengthy wrist cuffs and enclosure look like it should keep cold air out.
Old 11-03-15, 07:25 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
For much below 30F, I prefer lobster gloves over 5-fingered ones. Lobsters are warmer. Mittens are even warmer, but of course you give up any thought of dexterity.
Old 11-03-15, 07:28 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I bike commute year-round3-4 days a week with an occasional weekend ride. Whatever gloves you choose go to the Dollar Store and pick up a few pairs of cheap knit gloves. Put them over your bike gloves and the whole thing becomes a nose wiping surface. Wash 'em a coupla times then toss 'em...they were just a buck a pair (or less!) cut off the fingers for warm-weather riding and nose-de-itching.
Old 11-03-15, 07:47 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
For much below 30F, I prefer lobster gloves over 5-fingered ones. Lobsters are warmer. Mittens are even warmer, but of course you give up any thought of dexterity.
I was thinking to say the same, that insulated lobster are the way to go when below freezing. PerformanceBike has a house brand pair that are inexpensive, but keep my oft-cold fingers warm. So yeah, OP, I'd suggest restacking the array to have lobsters be your coldest ride option, and fingered gloves, in various styles, for everything else.

Something else you may consider, which would obviate the need for so many gloves while providing top-notch warmth, are bar covers like MooseMitts. Check this link for a review of producers and styles: Bar Mitts, Moose Mitts and Bike Poagies | All Seasons Cyclist

Also, if you haven't dipped into the Winter Cycling forum here, you may find some insights there.
Old 11-03-15, 07:54 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Number 5 is not an option HTFU
Old 11-03-15, 08:12 AM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I bike commute year-round3-4 days a week with an occasional weekend ride. Whatever gloves you choose go to the Dollar Store and pick up a few pairs of cheap knit gloves. Put them over your bike gloves and the whole thing becomes a nose wiping surface. Wash 'em a coupla times then toss 'em...they were just a buck a pair (or less!) cut off the fingers for warm-weather riding and nose-de-itching.
Alternately, tie a bandanna to your wrist, knot on the inside. Wipe with the back of the wrist. Fold the mess inside for the ride home. Toss in the laundry.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 11-03-15, 08:23 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by spdracr39
Number 5 is not an option HTFU

Love #5 . In my own little world I am H'ingTFU just by commuting in the Winter! I'll have to continue to HTFU beyond that!
Old 11-03-15, 08:24 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I'm considering a lobster shell to go over those for when it is "needed". Also the shell can go over my normal bike gloves or just some cheap work gloves to get me to a certain point.
Old 11-03-15, 08:26 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by a1penguin
Hand/foot warmth are somewhat of a personal comfort thing. You don't mention what "cold" means to you. 40ºF? 10ºF?
Not sure what cold means to me on the bike as this is the first year I've committed to riding in the colder weather. For hiking it means about -20 degrees. When hiking I have military surplus mittens as my shell and layer "whatever" inside depending on what I need. I was hoping to use a similar concept here and when I come across the shell only lobster I think I'll have it.
Old 11-03-15, 08:27 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by BobbyG
Good thinking! I will stop by and pick these up immediately, or search for a pack of them on amazon or something.
Old 11-03-15, 08:29 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by chaadster
I was thinking to say the same, that insulated lobster are the way to go when below freezing. PerformanceBike has a house brand pair that are inexpensive, but keep my oft-cold fingers warm. So yeah, OP, I'd suggest restacking the array to have lobsters be your coldest ride option, and fingered gloves, in various styles, for everything else.

Something else you may consider, which would obviate the need for so many gloves while providing top-notch warmth, are bar covers like MooseMitts. Check this link for a review of producers and styles: Bar Mitts, Moose Mitts and Bike Poagies | All Seasons Cyclist

Also, if you haven't dipped into the Winter Cycling forum here, you may find some insights there.
Oddly enough I didn't know that forum existed! Thanks for the point and I will go investigate. I will also look into the bar, moose mitts. Those look like a great option.
Old 11-03-15, 08:45 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
Oddly enough I didn't know that forum existed! Thanks for the point and I will go investigate. I will also look into the bar, moose mitts. Those look like a great option.
It really depends on how cold you'll be riding in, and how cold your fingers get. I have really bad circulation in my hands so my hands are always freezing. I can wear a medium weight XC ski glove (not windproof) down to about 35 F, then I need something more. If I pull out the mitten shell that slips over the ski glove, I can wear them down to freezing with only a slight tinge of coldness in my fingers.

I own both bar mitts and dogwood designs bike pogies. I have the drop bar bar mitts and the flat bar bike pogies. The pogies are MUCH, MUCH warmer. Also, if you plan on wearing the above gloves with bar mitts, I'd go with a large. It seems like the bar mitts are built to be worn with very thin gloves. I had bought mediums, but every single time I move my hand when I'm wearing my gloves (similar to yours above) I'm stretching the things in one direction or another. They're also great because often times you don't even have to wear gloves with them. However if the temperature goes above freezing generally, your hands will be sweating.

Last edited by corrado33; 11-03-15 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-03-15, 08:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Try a pair of thin, polypro glove liners. They work very well and are inexpensive. When I tour I often wear them under my regular short gloves to keep my fingers warm on cool mornings when it's supposed to warm up. Under those gloves you bought they could be all you need. You can often find them at Army-Navy stores for around $8.
Old 11-03-15, 09:16 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by corrado33
It really depends on how cold you'll be riding in, and how cold your fingers get. I have really bad circulation in my hands so my hands are always freezing. I can wear a medium weight XC ski glove (not windproof) down to about 35 F, then I need something more. If I pull out the mitten shell that slips over the ski glove, I can wear them down to freezing with only a slight tinge of coldness in my fingers.

I own both bar mitts and dogwood designs bike pogies. I have the drop bar bar mitts and the flat bar bike pogies. The pogies are MUCH, MUCH warmer. Also, if you plan on wearing the above gloves with bar mitts, I'd go with a large. It seems like the bar mitts are built to be worn with very thin gloves. I had bought mediums, but every single time I move my hand when I'm wearing my gloves (similar to yours above) I'm stretching the things in one direction or another. They're also great because often times you don't even have to wear gloves with them. However if the temperature goes above freezing generally, your hands will be sweating.
It doesn't get below freezing in this part of Ohio very often and when it does it isn't for long. I have a hybrid bike that will turn into my colder weather ride as I'll have better suited tires. With that I'll have non-drop handlebars and could use the flat bar pogies probably. I think the large would be a good option as it would not restrict as you mentioned. Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-03-15, 09:17 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Try a pair of thin, polypro glove liners. They work very well and are inexpensive. When I tour I often wear them under my regular short gloves to keep my fingers warm on cool mornings when it's supposed to warm up. Under those gloves you bought they could be all you need. You can often find them at Army-Navy stores for around $8.
I'll go pick some up, thanks for that. They could also come in handy for my hiking. I have a pair of silk liners for hiking that also work amazingly well but they are about ready to tear.
Old 11-03-15, 11:18 AM
FrozenK

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For real cold weather pogies are where it's at. Dogwood Designs or Revelate make some really nice ones. But they aren't cheap. If you don't need expedition grade pogies you can also look at ATV handlebar gauntlets. Those will work on a bicycle and can be found for about $20-40.
Old 11-03-15, 11:33 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
It doesn't get below freezing in this part of Ohio very often and when it does it isn't for long. I have a hybrid bike that will turn into my colder weather ride as I'll have better suited tires. With that I'll have non-drop handlebars and could use the flat bar pogies probably. I think the large would be a good option as it would not restrict as you mentioned. Thanks for the advice.
Gotcha, for that temperature range you'll probably be fine with the level of insulation you have in the gloves above. Perhaps using a lobster mitt with the same amount of insulation would be fine as well. You don't really NEED pogies/bar mitts until you get significantly below freezing.

The thing that affects my hand coldness the most in the winter is the wind. The biggest thing that the pogies/bar mitts do is act as a wind block.
Old 11-03-15, 05:50 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
The thing that affects my hand coldness the most in the winter is the wind. The biggest thing that the pogies/bar mitts do is act as a wind block.
Exactly, and that's why I was so stoked to see these, DriBarz, come to market, but their Kickstarter didn't fully fund. They may yet, and I remain hopeful.

Old 11-03-15, 07:32 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
#5 ...Wx gets to the point I need insulated gloves and I'm stayin' home.

Edit....too cold for my fingerless driving gloves and I move on to a pair of $10 Wells Lamont pigskin work gloves...too cold for them and then I stay home

Last edited by ltxi; 11-05-15 at 07:26 PM. Reason: clarification :)
Old 11-03-15, 07:37 PM
WonderMonkey

Exactly, and that's why I was so stoked to see these, DriBarz, come to market, but their Kickstarter didn't fully fund. They may yet, and I remain hopeful.

That would truly solve a whole bunch that causes the need for wind or water proof gloves.
Old 11-05-15, 06:24 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
For me, plain yellow fuzzy work gloves from the hardware store work well down to about freezing temp.
freezing to approx 10 F, a lobster claw type is good.
below 10, multi layer ski gloves/mittens.
Old 11-06-15, 07:03 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts

Actual retail product: