Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Catapulting Disc Brakes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Catapulting Disc Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-20, 07:36 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 790 Posts
Catapulting Disc Brakes

I've been riding for over 30 years and have yet to try out the relatively new Disc Brakes. In the early years I catapulted over the handlebars on at least two occasions and nearly catapulted at least two other times, before it became instinct for me to squeeze the rear brake first.

I'm curious how easy is it to catapult using front disc brakes (compared to traditional brakes)? I'm wondering if my current methodical use of traditional brakes, where I brake first with rear brakes, then employ the front brakes would smoothly cross over to use of disc brakes.

(I guess this question is best for riders that rode many years with traditional brakes, that recently have transitioned over to discs).

Old 09-03-20, 07:55 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Depending on the rim brakes you're using, disc brakes may be a little more powerful (mechanical discs) or much more powerful (hydraulic discs). As with anything, it's simply a matter of becoming accustomed to them. But yeah, starting with the rear brake, and then applying the front, will be a good starting point.
Old 09-03-20, 07:56 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I've been riding for over 30 years and have yet to try out the relatively new Disc Brakes. In the early years I catapulted over the handlebars on at least two occasions and nearly catapulted at least two other times, before it became instinct for me to squeeze the rear brake first.

I'm curious how easy is it to catapult using front disc brakes (compared to traditional brakes)? I'm wondering if my current methodical use of traditional brakes, where I brake first with rear brakes, then employ the front brakes would smoothly cross over to use of disc brakes.

(I guess this question is best for riders that rode many years with traditional brakes, that recently have transitioned over to discs).
Hydraulic disks are the easiest to throw you over the bar, if you let it. The trick is to not let the wheel lock up, and to use your body to prevent being easily flung. Many people use just the front for braking, the rear being more for control and wet riding, regardless of brake type.

The harder I brake, the more I put my butt behind the saddle and stiffen my arms. Standing on pedals lowers your center of gravity and makes it much harder to do a Superman

Last edited by DorkDisk; 09-03-20 at 08:02 AM.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 09-03-20, 08:08 AM
work4bike

I forgot to mention that as one of my methods of braking is to put my butt as far back as possible. However, I usually only do that on very quick stops, but I still hit the rear brake first. So I'm not sure how that (shifting my center of gravity) would works with a fast stop using front brakes at speed (over 20mph).
Likes For work4bike:
Old 09-03-20, 08:23 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Any brake worth a poop will throw you over the bars if you squeeze hard and don’t lean back some.

None of these brakes in and of themselves are more likely to do so than others. For ALL brakes it is a matter of getting used to the way they react to lever action.

Many people will argue that brakes with better “modulation” are less likely to throw you OTB or skid, but then argue for pages over what better modulation actually means.

I like powerful brake that stop me with less lever pressure and movement. The trick is to do a lot of practice hard stops to learn how the brakes react to lever input.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-03-20, 08:43 AM
work4bike

I'm not faulting disc brakes for being a kickass catapulting mechanism. I'm just wondering if other riders (with many years of riding) that have switched over from traditional brakes have had to change how they prevent the catapulting.
Old 09-03-20, 08:44 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
If you suddenly grab a handfull of brakes and squeeze as hard as possible, yeah, hydraulic disks will throw you a** over teakettle. But it's the same thing as any other brakes - good brakes need to be used correctly. I don't know that you need to do the rear first - I don't - but if it works for you, go ahead.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-03-20, 08:49 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
You need to learn about proportion. I've never come close to catapulting with any braking system and can't even imagine how you could do that other than in a severe panic situation. Don't squeeze any harder than you need to to slow at whatever rate is required.
Old 09-03-20, 10:17 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Any Harley rider care to explain how using the front brake causes you to superman.

It's all about center of gravity and the speed of the weight transfer. If your center of gravity is high, and your weight transfer is fast (because you didn't prepare your body in anticipation of the braking), then you WILL fly over the bar.
But if you prepare yourself, then you can brake as hard as your brake can allow all the way up until the point of lockout (assuming a straightline and dry condition) and you will never go over.
NOTE: going in a straightline on dry clean pavement, it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to lock the front wheel.
Old 09-03-20, 10:23 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
A good front brake should be strong enough to lift the rear wheel. Most decent disk brakes I've ridden can do that with 1 or 2 fingers on the lever. Adjusting to good brakes is easy, they are almost telepathic. Going back to cantis or calipers for a ride or 2 can be frightening until you remember to squeeze like you mean it.
Old 09-03-20, 10:36 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,992 Times in 2,664 Posts
I have yet to be catapulted by a bike or anything for that matter. If I have an issue of braking it is usually just a matter of knowing how to brake and making sure I am not just grabbing a fistful of front brake.
Old 09-03-20, 10:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
On casual level JRA Bikes with V brakes they have supplied a "modulator" .. your cable housing pushes down a spring in the 'noodle'..
that softens the initial bite ..

with disc brakes the modulation is a skill .... + basically some calipers better than others ..
I swapped the front Avid BB7 for a TRP Hy Rd, it's internal hydraulics, don't come on as abruptly as the ones that came on the bike..
still cable operated..

One option : Anticipate the need for heavy braking a couple second before hand,
push your butt back , low off & behind the saddle I brace your straight arms against the forces.. of that deceleration..

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-03-20 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-03-20, 10:42 AM
work4bike

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
You need to learn about proportion. I've never come close to catapulting with any braking system and can't even imagine how you could do that other than in a severe panic situation. Don't squeeze any harder than you need to to slow at whatever rate is required.
Did you even read my OP? I guess some of us just start out cycling as an expert. And yes, the times I've been catapulted or nearly catapulted were in panic situations.

Boy, I just love all the freakin' exerpts on this website
Originally Posted by aclinjury
Any Harley rider care to explain how using the front brake causes you to superman.

It's all about center of gravity and the speed of the weight transfer. If your center of gravity is high, and your weight transfer is fast (because you didn't prepare your body in anticipation of the braking), then you WILL fly over the bar.
But if you prepare yourself, then you can brake as hard as your brake can allow all the way up until the point of lockout (assuming a straightline and dry condition) and you will never go over.
NOTE: going in a straightline on dry clean pavement, it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to lock the front wheel.
Interesting, maybe if we get a Harley rider in here he/she can speak to the issue of slamming on the front brakes at speed...

Likes For work4bike:
Old 09-03-20, 10:44 AM
work4bike

Originally Posted by fietsbob
On casual level JRA Bikes with V brakes they have supplied a "modulator" .. your cable housing pushes down a spring in the 'noodle'..
that softens the initial bite ..

with disc brakes the modulation is a skill .... + basically some calipers better than others ..
I swapped the front Avid BB7 for a TRP Hy Rd, it's internal hydraulics, don't come on as abruptly as the ones that came on the bike..
still cable operated..
Thanks. I'm going to have to look up some youtube videos on the different types of disc brakes.

Old 09-03-20, 10:53 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
Huh? As someone who mainly rides motorcycles instead of driving a car, what exactly are you implying? Are you saying to not use a front brake on a motorcycle because it will catapult you over the bars? If so you are so far off base it isn't even funny, especially on a Harley.
Likes For phughes:
Old 09-03-20, 10:57 AM
work4bike

BTW ALL, the reason I'm asking the question is because I'm in the market for a new bike and I'm seriously considering disc brakes, simply because of the stopping power (I've heard of) during wet conditions. Can't tell you how long it took me to develop the skill of riding with virtually no brakes in the rain.
Old 09-03-20, 10:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I didn't go 'over the bars' , but i did have the bike stop short, , I kept moving,.. I was going slow , then..

I put out my hand , to catch myself.. as I hit the sidewalk, that did not help my wrist ..
Old 09-03-20, 11:10 AM
work4bike

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I didn't go 'over the bars' , but i did have the bike stop short, , I kept moving,.. I was going slow , then..

I put out my hand , to catch myself.. as I hit the sidewalk, that did not help my wrist ..
I did a true superman impersonation. I'm sure it was entertaining to the "spectators".

There are a few accidents I had when I first started cycling that still pop in my head while riding today. Front brake is one of them, but the other is when I accidentally veered off road and immediately swerved by onto the road and as my front tire hit the raised lip of the road, I went flying into the middle of a two lane roadway where cars are going at least 50mph.

I don't know how, but I instinctively jumped up, grabbed my bike and ran out of the road before the car behind could hit me -- one of those incredible times in your life.

That was back in the mid-80's and to this day, every time I start to veer off the road, an image of that accident jumps in my head.
Likes For work4bike:
Old 09-03-20, 04:10 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
I find that most disc brakes are much easier to modulate than linear pull "v-brakes." Many powerful rim brakes have an on/off feel rather than a good amount of middle ground feeling. You have to pull a disc brake hard to lock up a wheel and there's a fair degree of modulation before that.
Old 09-03-20, 04:50 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Have to wonder just how experienced of a rider you are if you are honestly worried about braking sending you over the bars. You sound like the people on the recumbent sites.

Been riding 50 years and have had absolutely zero issues transitioning to disc brakes. In fact, a good set of hydro discs have better modulation than some of the older brakes giving the rider considerably more control over braking force.
Old 09-03-20, 04:54 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
I did a true superman impersonation. I'm sure it was entertaining to the "spectators".

There are a few accidents I had when I first started cycling that still pop in my head while riding today. Front brake is one of them, but the other is when I accidentally veered off road and immediately swerved by onto the road and as my front tire hit the raised lip of the road, I went flying into the middle of a two lane roadway where cars are going at least 50mph.

I don't know how, but I instinctively jumped up, grabbed my bike and ran out of the road before the car behind could hit me -- one of those incredible times in your life.

That was back in the mid-80's and to this day, every time I start to veer off the road, an image of that accident jumps in my head.
To answer your original question, my old road bike that I had for about 7 years had rim brakes, and then about a month ago I got a new road bike with hydraulic rim brakes. I also have a touring bike that had v-brakes until about 5 years ago when I built a new front wheel that has a drum brake. Across all 3 systems, I have literally never come close to going over the bars due to braking. I've never even felt the back wheel come off the ground while braking, even while panic-braking. Every braking system, when properly adjusted, feels about the same at the brake levers: the levers stop with about 1 inch of clearance from the bars. There might be some subtle differences across the feeling of those brake systems I've used, but I think people exaggerate those differences when discussing them, especially on the internet.

The one and only time I've ever gone over the bars was when a stick went between my front wheel & fender, causing the fender to snap and lock up the wheel went it went under the fork crown. In that crash, I managed to instinctively tuck my chin and land on my shoulders and upper back, my head never touched the ground. Other than needing to replace the fender, there really wasn't much damage to the bike at all, and I only had some minor abrasions and a few bruises.
Old 09-03-20, 05:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I choose brake power considering how I ride. I grew up and learned on the ancient centerpulls, raced side-pulls, got introduced to driving on a Willis Jeep nearly as old as I am, and I was 34 years old before I drove a car with power anything. The instinct to squeeze hard is embedded in my reactions, At 67 , I am not re-training them (unless I am willing to do several flips over the bars). I very intentionaly stay away from powerrful brake combos. (My brakes are very good stoppers. They just require a real squeeze.)

I haven't made the jump to disc and probably won't Dual pivots work way to well for my hands so I "de-tune" them with V-brake levers. (LIkewise cantis.) They still stop me really well, but it now takes the real squeeze I've been doing all my life. Since I swapped out the levers, I can stop in a much shorter distance because I don't lock up or have to back off to keep the rear end in line.

I have had the same issue with my cars. Power brakes just keep getting more powerful, more sensitive. Hard stops, instead of getting better, have gotten worse, until my last car with (finally) ABS, After 7 years, I still need it. That old Willis and my first car, a '71 VW bus, taught me really well.

Ben
Old 09-03-20, 07:16 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts

This may have been mentioned before; if so, my apologies. I took a motorcycle safety course a few years back. One of the things they really made a point of is "looking where you want to go" and not down near the front wheel or straight ahead in a curve, for example. You will go where you are looking.

One person in the class had a bad habit of grabbing a handful of front brake. She high-sided twice during the weekend - no kidding.

Not suggesting that's what happened, but it's something to consider at least.

Glenn
Old 09-03-20, 07:52 PM
work4bike

Originally Posted by mack_turtle
I find that most disc brakes are much easier to modulate than linear pull "v-brakes." Many powerful rim brakes have an on/off feel rather than a good amount of middle ground feeling. You have to pull a disc brake hard to lock up a wheel and there's a fair degree of modulation before that.
Finally, someone that can describe the braking feel of discs vs. traditional brakes.

Very helpful input, thank you!

Likes For work4bike:
Old 09-03-20, 07:56 PM
work4bike

Originally Posted by HD3andMe
This is not an equipment issue but rather an experience/technique issue.
I know.

re-read the post, this happened back in the 80's when I was in my 20's and first starting out in cycling as transportation. The only bikes I rode before this was when I was a kid and used the old pedal-braking bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.