Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Please help me understand gravel riding?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Please help me understand gravel riding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-20, 01:30 PM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
What would be really great, for someone like me, is if someone could invent a bike that started out as a road bike so I could ride to the gravel road. When I got to the gravel road I could then push a button and the whole bike would magically transform into a gravel bike. Geometry, components and all. Of course, this amazing bike would also be self cleaning and lubricating and would automatically adjust itself to accommodate any BB standard.
Likes For mrblue:
Old 09-13-20, 01:56 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by mrblue
What would be really great, for someone like me, is if someone could invent a bike that started out as a road bike so I could ride to the gravel road. When I got to the gravel road I could then push a button and the whole bike would magically transform into a gravel bike. Geometry, components and all.
That already exists.

Its called a Gravel Bike

Last edited by Kapusta; 09-13-20 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-13-20, 02:10 PM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by mrblue
What would be really great, for someone like me, is if someone could invent a bike that started out as a road bike so I could ride to the gravel road. When I got to the gravel road I could then push a button and the whole bike would magically transform into a gravel bike. Geometry, components and all. Of course, this amazing bike would also be self cleaning and lubricating and would automatically adjust itself to accommodate any BB standard.

This is my gravel bike which is also a road bike. Usually leave my house on a ride on pavement and if I find gravel roads along the way than I don't need to turn around. It may be 50 years old but so am I, but sadly the bike is not self cleaning.

​​​​​​​
Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 09-13-20, 02:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Here in upstate New York, gravel roads are even more peaceful than paved roads. They are in very scenic areas, and you scarcely see anyone. It's not more dangerous than road riding at all. Going downhill, just slow down a bit, and don't compare speeds with paved road riding. On gravel roads, we discover scenic beauty we didn't know is there.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-13-20, 02:27 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
I kind of understand the OP.

It's slower and kinda boring, in a lot of places.

Flat roads that go for miles without changing much doesn't sound fun. It's not fun on pavement and it's not fun going even slower to get somewhere interesting.

I think that's the Midwest farmland in general. I'd never be able to live there. If I had to be there for some reason, I'd probably quit riding. I mean, what's the point?

I have gravel, road, and mountain bikes. I point them what feels nearly straight up and suffer, then fly down at whatever speed my nerves allow. On a good ride, this happens a lot. I see deer, turkeys, mountain lions (twice), a lynx (once), elk, moose, hawks, hummingbirds. I stop at bodies of water and watch the fish swim. I chat with hunters in their camps.

I'm not terribly slow but not fast enough to be competitive in any discipline. I have fun. I suffer. A gravel bike is a big part of that.

In Kanza country, unless made interesting from a big group or massive tailwind, why?
Old 09-13-20, 02:53 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Flat roads that go for miles without changing much doesn't sound fun. It's not fun on pavement and it's not fun going even slower to get somewhere interesting.

I think that's the Midwest farmland in general. I'd never be able to live there. If I had to be there for some reason, I'd probably quit riding. I mean, what's the point?
Can't say I blame anyone who doesn't live here for thinking it seems pretty boring, and it's definitely not thrilling riding outside the occasional minimum maintenance / b-road that can get MTB'ish. The point is to be outside staying healthy / fit at the end of the day, and doing something you enjoy. You'd also be surprised at how hilly some areas can be with total climbing of 500-1000 ft per 10 miles, and grades in the 8-12% range. Rarely a climb longer than a few minutes though.

Also true that if you've been down one mile of gravel road with corn growing on both sides, and through one small town, you've pretty much seen 75% of what you're going to see. You could say the same thing about mountains too though; anywhere can be boring, or beautiful, depending on your perspective. I guess to me, it's about adapting to what's available, and enjoying it. I think I would struggle a lot in a city like LA as a cyclist, but I'm sure after awhile I'd figure out something, and adapt to that.
Old 09-13-20, 03:08 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I understand why people may think riding on gravel is more dangerous than pavement. Especially if their gravel experience was on pavement-specific road bikes.

But I think it is in fact generally safer, for the same reasons I think mountain biking is safer: fewer cars and lower speeds (of both the cars and the bikes) Of course, a gravel road with heavy traffic would really suck, but I have seldom encountered that.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-13-20, 04:04 PM
diggida

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I'm an ignoramus on this topic and am still wrapping my head around the differences in the categories of bikes. I grew up with BMX bikes, road bikes, and maybe mountain bikes. I'm riding a Giant hybrid. How does a gravel bike compare to a fitness bike or an endurance bike? They all seem to be road bike-ish but have a more upright position. I suppose the gravel would have the knobbiest/fattest tires of the bunch. What else is different?
Old 09-13-20, 04:05 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
To the OP: Keep riding and learning. As you gain more exposure to cycling and cyclists, I'm betting you'll arrive at a couple of generalizations:

1. A lot of cyclists are doing things that other cyclists think are pointless, boring, and so forth.

2. Relatively few bikes are used exclusively for what they are "supposed" to be used for, according to their marketing category.

A lot of folks choose a bike based on their own bodies and expected riding conditions, rather than the regulations for a specific event category. I have no hope of participating in a race. We're all in search of the bike that's perfectly comfortable, versatile, fast, reliable, and so forth. And that looks good, of course. That such a bike doesn't exist guarantees endless debate. "Gravel bikes" simply add to the variety of bikes and configurations to choose from.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 09-13-20, 05:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
This one you just keep on going past the end of the paved road not fast, just riding.. (continental travel contact tires made for this)..

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-14-20 at 05:02 PM.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 09-13-20, 05:22 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
A gravel bike has also been a bit of a Goldilocks bike for me:

Road bike- too uncomfortable (position, vibration). Skinny tires I can’t take off-road. I’m not trying to be Lance Armstrong.

Mountain bike- too sluggish on roads, flat bars too restricting, don’t need suspension (Compex, weight, maintenance) for most my riding. I rarely ride technical single track.

Gravel Bike- Just right for 90%+ of my riding.

Your mileage may vary. Obviously there are grey areas between each of these categories that might be a sweet spot for someone.
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 09-13-20, 05:53 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by IGH_Only
First off, even if it has been around for a while, what makes you think I have been following biking for a while. Before 2 months my last experience on a bike apart from a couple of random short lived rides, was an an early teen riding my BMX bike in the 1980s so I don't understand a lot of cycling lingo and what not.

I appreciated everyone's response, especially those who posted pictures. What I had in mind was a different thing altogether.
???

So, you have very little experience and knowledge and you thought that "what you had in mind" about was the only possibility?
Old 09-13-20, 06:00 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
A gravel bike has also been a bit of a Goldilocks bike for me:

Road bike- too uncomfortable (position, vibration). Skinny tires I can’t take off-road. I’m not trying to be Lance Armstrong.

Mountain bike- too sluggish on roads, flat bars too restricting, don’t need suspension (Compex, weight, maintenance) for most my riding. I rarely ride technical single track.

Gravel Bike- Just right for 90%+ of my riding.

Your mileage may vary. Obviously there are grey areas between each of these categories that might be a sweet spot for someone.
I have a fast and light (for steel) road bike. With 28's can handle a dirt road here or there to connect paved routes.

I have a modern mountain bike ideally suited for long xx, like IMBA Epic trails for example. It'll handle a dirt road or paved if I must.

I have a near immaculate 1985/6 custom thingy. Very pure classic road bike. It would fit 28s but just isn't off road in any sense of the word. It's the shiniest, shaven, and race cut jersey of the bunch.

I have a gravel bike with 40mm tires. And a spare wheelset with 30mm slicks. This thing goes on my 8 hour days, trailer rides with the kids, the mechanic to pick up my car, it has commuted but I work 50miles from home now, and is always the bike that I know is ready to roll.

I certainly enjoy having all 4.

I'm shopping for a unicycle if anyone else s selling.
Old 09-13-20, 06:06 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I'm shopping for a unicycle if anyone else s selling.
GRUNI, perhaps?
Old 09-13-20, 06:10 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
I'd sooner say...'gravel bikes' are what 'road bikes' used to be--before 'road bike' came to mean 'exclusively paved road racing bike'. Hence why '700C' ends with a 'C'; and there used to be 700A, B, C, D, and E versions. These things ebb and flow.
"road bikes used to be more like gravel bikes" - yes, before WW2 when most roads in Europe weren't covered in asphalt. The road bike has been what it is, except in steel, without STIs for a long time, with skinnier tires than now and much taller gearing than now, for seventy-odd years now. If you take the modern road racing bike, it's better adapted to dirt and gravel roads than a road bike from the, say, 60-ties was.

Road bikes, as they are, are pretty much perfect for road riding of all sorts.
Old 09-13-20, 06:42 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Branko D

I used to believe that. Stayed in that abusive relationship for many years.

Then I got a bike with slightly relaxed geo that could take 35s and realized how wrong I was.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-13-20, 06:55 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
You should take a look at these photos and compare those bikes to modern road racing bikes.

https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/bl...ibute-to-jobst

A modern road racing bike would suck on this road. If the wheels survived:

https://youtu.be/jIpCnNsPS0E
99.99999999% of people buying gravel bikes are not riding that trail.
Old 09-13-20, 06:59 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Where I lived years ago, there simply were none within 80mi or so. Wasn't going to happen, riding 80+ miles and then doing 20+ miles on gravel, only to have 80mi return trip. And so, we'd pack up the bikes and travel.
It's difficult to believe there were no unpaved roads within a 20,000 square mile area, given that's almost as large as the state of West Virginia.
Old 09-13-20, 07:07 PM
IGH_Only

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
???

So, you have very little experience and knowledge and you thought that "what you had in mind" about was the only possibility?
I'm not at all sure what you're getting at or what your question really is but I've spent a fair amount of time looking at gravel bikes and researching it some. Maybe to you all this stuff is second hand. It's very confusing for me. There are plenty of topics I can discuss with a good level understanding (probably a wider range than most people alive because of my insatiable curiosity). Cycling is not remotely one them.
Old 09-13-20, 07:10 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
"road bikes used to be more like gravel bikes" - yes, before WW2 when most roads in Europe weren't covered in asphalt. The road bike has been what it is, except in steel, without STIs for a long time, with skinnier tires than now and much taller gearing than now, for seventy-odd years now. If you take the modern road racing bike, it's better adapted to dirt and gravel roads than a road bike from the, say, 60-ties was.

LOL. You should learn what pea gravel is before typing something that funny again.

A road bike is not even going to make it out of a church driveway or parking lot here. In my entire state, unless you're a master's level racer, you're probably going to want 38mm bare minimum tires. Regulation CX tires can work, but you need the skills to hold your line in anhydrous soup--as tires that narrow will sink through the dumped pea-gravel aggregate.

Originally Posted by Mulberry20
That isn't a trail. That is a road. And that road is in better condition than just about all dirt/gravel roads in my entire county.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 09-13-20, 07:13 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
I'm not at all sure what you're getting at or what your question really is but I've spent a fair amount of time looking at gravel bikes and researching it some. Maybe to you all this stuff is second hand. It's very confusing for me. There are plenty of topics I can discuss with a good level understanding (probably a wider range than most people alive because of my insatiable curiosity). Cycling is not remotely one them.
Don’t feel so bad that you are confused by the concept of gravel bikes. That is exactly the idea when it comes to marketing. People will often spend the most on something they don’t need when they are confused. Sure, some riders need it but not the vast majority.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 09-13-20, 07:15 PM
IGH_Only

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Yeah, it's not likely that I would buy a gravel bike based on what I know. Especially in light of the fact that I don't know if I could be comfortable on drop bars. But Priority had recently released a nice looking gravel bike which piqued my curiosity on the topic.
Old 09-13-20, 07:24 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
That's not a trail, it's a road. And while it's sometimes hard to get a sense for how gnarly something is without riding it, and while things look a little different up here in Washington, to my eyes that doesn't look much out of the ordinary for narrow low-maintenance west-coast gravel roads. And almost everybody I know with gravel bikes rides that kind of stuff very frequently.
Old 09-13-20, 07:38 PM
Gresp15C

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It's difficult to believe there were no unpaved roads within a 20,000 square mile area, given that's almost as large as the state of West Virginia.
Southern Wisconsin is like that. If there's a road, chances are it's paved. Gravel roads are either someone's driveway, or a dead end access to a handful of residences. There are more gravel roads in the north woods, that I haven't explored, but would like to.

Local legend has it that the roads need to be paved for the milk trucks.
Old 09-13-20, 07:42 PM
Gresp15C

Yeah, it's not likely that I would buy a gravel bike based on what I know. Especially in light of the fact that I don't know if I could be comfortable on drop bars. But Priority had recently released a nice looking gravel bike which piqued my curiosity on the topic.
Drops versus upright is probably the most difficult decision to make if you don't already have a preference. The reason is that switching from one to the other can be expensive and isn't always satisfactory due to frame geometries. If you have a chance to borrow a drop bar bike that fits you, and ride it for a few hundred miles, you'll get a feel for whether you like drop bars.
Likes For Gresp15C:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.