Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cyclist Passing Etiquette

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cyclist Passing Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-20, 09:00 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Road Rider here. Most wear Ear Buds listing to music.
I watch them then pass.

Use my air horn if they seem to need an Alert.

Old 09-30-20, 03:46 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,270 Times in 1,272 Posts
I do not use MUP’s and I have a bell that I ping when I pass. That’s just me and how I ride. SoCal is so densely populated now , when you are out riding , you get what you get. I try not to let it get to me . Some riders know how to ride and be safe, others are just ignorant or don’t care. That’s life in the city, try to focus on the good and hope for the best. Enjoy the ride!
Old 09-30-20, 04:19 AM
CycleCommuter

Bikes: 3Rensho Tandem, Waterford 1200, Gunnar Roadie, Aegis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I completely agree with all three points and I ride most of the time as a commuter around the streets, greenways and multi-use trails in NYC and the tri-state area. I believe in bike culture, that it is not only for safety that we should be polite but also to build community. As some of the greenways and trails that I ride are among the busiest paths in the country, it can be extremely dangerous not to announce yourself.

Unfortunately, few people use this etiquette. I have found the area becoming more dangerous due to e-bikes and electric motorcycles that have started populating the trails and bike paths. On numerous occasions I have been in the middle of passing someone, only to be passed myself by an electric bike traveling well in excess the safe speed on these trails, as they are often winding paths with limited visibility.
Likes For CycleCommuter:
Old 09-30-20, 04:29 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
I've been on the other side of this discussion. Not used my bell and another biker I passed decided to give me a lecture about it later when he saw me stopped for a snack. I was not enlightened. It was a popular park with a lot of walkers, families and bikers. No crap people are around and passing each other, no surprise. I acted concerned and said oh thanks, I'll get a bell (I already have one on the bike which he may or may not have seen). I would have had to ring almost all the time or be like that guy on the Brooklyn bridge belting out an opera of "Bike lane, You're in the bike lane" or the guy riding a wheelie yelling yo, yo, yo, with an occasional shut up.
IKR. I was on a mass start charity ride with about 4,000 other people. We were crossing a bridge in the first mile. Everyone was surrounded by everyone else and passing each other. Woman yells at me for not announcing my pass. I told her that until the crowd thins out assume someone is about to pass you.

BTW...I’ve led groups over the Brooklyn Bridge more than a dozen times during a yearly ride. Sunday before Labor Day, so it’s extra crowded with tourists. My exploits in plowing the road are legendary.
Old 09-30-20, 04:49 AM
crankholio

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
The only time I give a verbal warning when I'm passing is if there's not much room or if there are kids (and I generally slow down if there are kids because they'll make a 90 degree turn right in front of you with no warning, even if you say "on the left"). Otherwise, I just stay silent and give plenty of space.
Old 09-30-20, 05:01 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by crankholio
or if there are kids (and I generally slow down if there are kids because they'll make a 90 degree turn right in front of you with no warning, even if you say "on the left"). Otherwise, I just stay silent and give plenty of space.
When you say "on your left", kids and many adults turn their heads to the left to look followed by their shoulders and then the bike turns left.

Kids and dogs are unpredictable so I always slow down just to be safe. It will be a really bad day for me if I hit a kid or a dog. If it's an adult their fair game
Likes For GlennR:
Old 09-30-20, 05:28 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
If it is an adult, you are fair game, a game nobody wins.
Old 09-30-20, 05:50 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I've come upon groups on the path, families in particular, and if it looks like they might be a handful to pass I am not opposed to laying back for a little while and then I can pass them at the next street crossing. Within reason, of course; I won't follow them for miles but if it's just a few hundred feet? Gives me chance to catch my breath.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 09-30-20, 06:13 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Some of you need to spend some time racing mountain bikes and motorcycles on singletrack or fixed gears at a Velodrome. Any pass that doesn't stuff you into tree with a shoulder is a good pass. I give dogs and kids extra space because of the unpredictable nature of the creatures. I have a bell and use it, most riders I pass are wearing earbuds and don't seem to hear it anyway.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 09-30-20, 08:56 AM
Vismund B

Bikes: An old Panasonic Sport

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleCommuter
I completely agree with all three points and I ride most of the time as a commuter around the streets, greenways and multi-use trails in NYC and the tri-state area. I believe in bike culture, that it is not only for safety that we should be polite but also to build community. As some of the greenways and trails that I ride are among the busiest paths in the country, it can be extremely dangerous not to announce yourself.

Unfortunately, few people use this etiquette. I have found the area becoming more dangerous due to e-bikes and electric motorcycles that have started populating the trails and bike paths. On numerous occasions I have been in the middle of passing someone, only to be passed myself by an electric bike traveling well in excess the safe speed on these trails, as they are often winding paths with limited visibility.
I commute daily in NYC and my experience is the same. I’ve been passed while passing others. I’ve seen e-bikes pass in the most dangerous spots on paths. They will pass anywhere, anytime, any situation if they feel like it. Like around a curve. Where you can’t see any oncoming traffic. I’ve noticed a lot of times they’ll slow down to check their phone or something and then all the sudden when they’re done they’ll just speed up and go where they need to with out even looking. I don’t feel bad passing any of them “too closely”.

For the normal civilized riders, I’ll usually ring the bell and say good morning or a thank you if they’ve slowed or moved over a bit as I’m passing.
Likes For Vismund B:
Old 09-30-20, 09:12 AM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Hmmm, I pass cyclists most training rides - cycling is very popular for sport and fitness here, less so commuting though although ebikes among tourists is very common. I usually say "Bom dia" (Good morning) as I go past and get the same greeting in return. Heck, here in Southern Portugal, most pedestrians or anyone out and about greet everyone regardless and if we are in a Group, we'll get some banter going with locals wherever we are. Had some elderly folks making me feel I was in the Tour de France yesterday on a hill, such was their support as they sat by the roadside! It's a friendly place. Waving and greeting is the norm, riding or no.

Sometimes I do fail to say hello though, like today, went past a few individuals but I was in time trial mode and doing between 25-30mph, concentrating - knackered towards the end so unlikely to say anything! I always pass wide so no probs.

It isn't the same as cycling in a dense suburb, let alone a city, here. In Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Ghent, it is all bells and warning etc...here, very tranquil, lots of personal space, mostly empty roads, low population density. Lovely.
Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 09-30-20, 09:34 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Kids and dogs are unpredictable so I always slow down just to be safe. It will be a really bad day for me if I hit a kid or a dog. If it's an adult their fair game
At the moment, the frenetic squirrels are a big concern here. So many, so active and so random. I really don’t want them dashing to and fro and ending up in my front wheel. That would be a mess for all involved, I reckon. Hard to anticipate, though. Sometimes they dart across at the very last moment.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 09-30-20, 09:45 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
There can be a safety reason to give a signal before passing.

A rider passed me on the road about a year ago and nearly caused us to collide. I rode down a fairly steep hill, slowing because there was a car right in front of me and going slow and I was going to turn left soon anyway.

Just as I’m past one street and about to put my arm out for the left turn signal for my upcoming turn, a rider who hadn’t slowed down to observe the pace of the traffic flew past without prior notice. It was pure luck that I didn’t clobber him in the face with my turn signal or collide with him as I began to ease into my turn.

So also as a matter of safety, it’s good to make sure riders know you are behind them, because you can’t assume they will follow the straight route where turns are an option.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 09-30-20, 10:29 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
At the moment, the frenetic squirrels are a big concern here. So many, so active and so random. I really don’t want them dashing to and fro and ending up in my front wheel. That would be a mess for all involved, I reckon. Hard to anticipate, though. Sometimes they dart across at the very last moment.

Otto
Aim for where they are, cause they won't be there when you pass.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 09-30-20, 01:07 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Once I was putting away my bike after one of those big day rides where you pay money to a charity. I start walking to the HQ building and I hear, "there he is" as a woman was pointing me out to a policeman. Huh? Turns out I had passed her a few miles from the end, going completely into the other traffic lane, but didn't warn her. Cop waved me away and was trying to explain to the woman that I'd done nothing wrong; She of course (being a total noob to riding - probably did the 6 mile route) was incensed by not being warned even though I'd probably left her 10 feet of room.
Old 09-30-20, 01:07 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycletography
Does anyone think I'm expecting too much in the way of etiquette from my fellow cyclists?
Yes, I do think you're expecting too much. But lectures are fun. Plus, apparently, you hate getting passed.

As you can see everyone here has never done anything wrong when cycling, just like you. We always wave, always announce, always stop at the stop sign on empty roads when nobody is around, always signal every turn and stop when in traffic, always wax our chains and never-ever-EVAH throw our SiS Gels into the bushes like we're Alaphilippe attacking on the last climb.

There's two measures when it comes to cycling with others (cars, pedestrians, cyclists and those dreaded roadies with their drop bars, lycra, carbon and other snobbery) and those two measures is all there will ever be.

1. First Measure: Not Hit.
2. Second Measure: Hit.

Number two is bad. Number one is what happens to the vast majority of cyclists. We don't get hit. Close pass? Irrelevant. Don't hit. Period. A cyclist passed within one foot? I don't see the problem. But I'm not scared.

If you're scared, pull your mask on tight....tighter....and go back inside on Zwift. That way you don't have to worry about the lumpenproletariat roadies passing without a personal greeting, written invitation, and signed non compete clause filled out prior to any engagement with you as you're crushing the downhills at 35mph.

No worries though you can still get your lecture fix because when you're inside and some Asian dude passes you on the Alpe du Zwift at 8.7w/kg you can come on here and still post great "well I never!" threads so everyone can understand (finally) about how egregious weight doping is.

Last edited by aplcr0331; 09-30-20 at 01:14 PM.
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 09-30-20, 01:14 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Once I was putting away my bike after one of those big day rides where you pay money to a charity. I start walking to the HQ building and I hear, "there he is" as a woman was pointing me out to a policeman. Huh? Turns out I had passed her a few miles from the end, going completely into the other traffic lane, but didn't warn her. Cop waved me away and was trying to explain to the woman that I'd done nothing wrong; She of course (being a total noob to riding - probably did the 6 mile route) was incensed by not being warned even though I'd probably left her 10 feet of room.
Apparently "Karen" has taken up cycling.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 09-30-20, 01:29 PM
FoldingSpace

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Personally, on the rare occasion I'm on a mixed use path, I announce depending on the individual. If someone is "holding their line" I'll pass widely to the left. If people are crowding the center of the path or being erratic I'll announce. My opinion is that there's not enough placed on slower users to maintain situational awareness, if you're on a path expect at all times you'll be passed, have your head on a swivel and don't do anything without looking. Announcing should frankly be unnecessary, after all if we're driving we don't need cars honking to tell us they are passing us.
If the rule on the mixed path is verbal or audible signal then you should do it. Cyclists of different abilities, some easily startled are using those trails - which should be accepted and acknowledged. It's not a distraction if you're an accomplished rider, and it's an expected courtesy if you're not. If you're from some place where no signals or required or expected, there still might be utility in the courtesy, but most places in the US it's expected, posted as a rule or even a legal statute in some scenarios (signage etc)

There are definitely spots where that might be a counterproductive thing to do - I've given vocal signals and had people panic, swerve or wobble into the exact wrong side and yoou should use your best judgment - but the most common bad behaviors I see on mixed use trails are silent whip-speed overtaking maneuvers from cyclists whose equipment demonstrates they should know better. And if the trail is mixed use, speeding pack and three abreast riding is dangerous and made more so without signals of some kind. If that's inconvenient, or a trail is full of oblivious slow moving tourists etc, then do what I do and take a different route for that stretch.

And covid of course, complicates it further. Each situation is different - if somebody ahead is wearing earphones for example, then signal may be useless anyway. I use bell for those as a courtesy and moral liability insurance.

Also, GEESE don't care what you say or do. They're gonna go where they like.

Last edited by FoldingSpace; 09-30-20 at 01:41 PM.
Likes For FoldingSpace:
Old 09-30-20, 01:30 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Hey bud, watch your comments about us 6 milers.
Old 09-30-20, 01:51 PM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts
It depends. If I'm in a trafficky area and I'm passing someone at close quarters, I'll call out. If I can give the other rider wide berth, say 10 feet or so, I don't. I feel a certain degree of situational awareness is every rider's responsibility and as such, it's on each cyclist to look behind and to the left before making a maneuver that might cut another rider off. I'm much more likely to call out when passing pedestrians, because I assume they're paying less attention to their surroundings given the more relaxed nature of walking. Plus, frankly, "on your left" always struck me as just an attention seeking ploy from a certain type of rider - like they want to make sure you're fully aware of how fast they can go, how fancy their bikes and biking outfits are and so on. Instead of "on your left", maybe try adjusting your speed to something more appropriate to the location and traffic density instead...
Old 09-30-20, 01:55 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by FoldingSpace
If the rule on the mixed path is verbal or audible signal then you should do it. Cyclists of different abilities, some easily startled are using those trails - which should be accepted and acknowledged. It's not a distraction if you're an accomplished rider, and it's an expected courtesy if you're not. If you're from some place where no signals or required or expected, there still might be utility in the courtesy.
If one is easily startled by someone passing over 3 ft to their left then maybe the path is not the correct place for them. I'm never going to close pass someone, and oftentimes I'll wait behind someone while someone coming in the opposite direction can go (too many people try to split in the middle, I would never do that).

I'm going to stand by my original point that *adults* should have enough awareness of their surroundings to not have to not be surprised by passing individuals, people should be maintaining a predictable path of travel, and if they want to pass/change lanes/cross the path, they should be looking behind them (lots of folks have those dorky mirrors, nothing should be a surprise to those folks). Heck, maintaining a straight, predictable path is something my 9 year old already knows when we ride. I mean this is a moot point for me, ultimately, since the only time I've been on a bike path lately is with my child and I train indoors 6 days a week or ride on the roads. But again adults should not be surprised/startled by cyclists if they are actively choosing to use a path which contains bike traffic.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 09-30-20, 01:56 PM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
IMHO, the 1st and 2nd rules are mutually exclusive - I see no need for any warning if there is enough room to pass safely. (Exception would be if there are other riders in front of the rider I'm going to overtake, which he might contemplate to overtake himself.) I reckon every signal, be it a bell or verbal one, is an annoyance - a minor one, and often necessary, but still - so I try to avoid it.
My sentiments exactly. And I'd love for others to do the same. I'm not impressed that you have to announce your presence to me so you can show off the pricey bike you're riding at a hazardous pace on a crowded MUP. Maybe just ride at an appropriate speed and not say anything...
Old 09-30-20, 02:14 PM
Sorg67

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Apex, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 2020 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I try to not be a total tool when passing. A "good morning" or a compliment about their bikes goes a long way. I'm not racing anyone so sometimes I will ask about their route or where else they ride? Most riders are receptive to these lines of conversation.
I have found "good morning" to be effective and well received also.
Old 09-30-20, 02:17 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
I don't give anyone a head's up that I'm passing, because I give plenty of space between us -- I hate bells. I'm not too concerned about people not giving me a head's up when they pass close by me (although I can see how that can be annoying), but I already know well in advance, thanks to my mirror.
Old 09-30-20, 02:19 PM
FoldingSpace

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
I'm with you in that I expect a basic level of competence, but I also expect it to not be met. Mixed trails are exactly where I expect to find novice riders.

Again, if those are the rules, or even the local traditions, you should follow them unless there's a safety reason not to - if they're NOT the rules then you're really just deciding how courteous you want to be or not -- and we're only talking about mixed use trails. Your standards or expectations might be irrelevant in the event of a crash.

There will be novice, terrible, clumsy or confused riders on those trails and unfortunately the physics of hitting them or falling off your bike are the same regardless of how you feel about it. If someone falls off their bike in a situation where me giving an audible signal would have prevented it, then I'd personally have that on my conscience regardless of their ability or idiocy.

I find it mildly inconvenient to have to give verbal or audible signals sometimes, but that's the cost of sharing a resource. And it's about the lowest cost-benefit calculation I ever have to do. And I don't always get it right, sometimes I say something too late, or I'm out of breath, or occasionally just space, but I always intend to and I always try to except in the situation I sketched - headphones, a small child, a suspected non english speaking tourist etc. Sometimes I simply slow all the way down because some combination of those things makes it pointless to try.

It's like signaling turns. Usually it's not essential and so you do it to ensure it happens for the rare times it turned out it was essential. And manners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.