Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rim brake rubbing, but only at one part

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-29-20, 04:33 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts

So I foolishly thought I could jump over a split in the tarmac, of course not, got a pinch flat. Fixed it at home, used the opportunity to clean the bike and put the rear wheel back. I noticed immediately that one part of the rim was rubbing the brake pad. And the wheel seems to be egging as we say in German, like wobbling. I can see that it isn't running perfectly straight, I can see the gap between the rim and the pad getting smaller, until it touches, then getting wider again as the wheel turns.

Now I don't know if it was doing that before and I just inadvertently adjusted the brakes while cleaning so now this wobbling means it hits the pad, or if this has something to do with the accident I had. Any thoughts? If I leave the pad adjuster (for when you want the wheel out, the thing you can flip so the pads move apart and you can take the wheel out), it doesn't rub, and actually the braking is still ok. Just feels as if it is a little bit loose (i.e. I have to pull the lever more than I usually do).
Old 09-29-20, 04:41 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Your rim got knocked out of true, so it's a wheel issue, the brake is fine...
Likes For mprince:
Old 09-29-20, 06:45 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Doesn't matter when or how it happened -- your wheel needs to be trued. Doesn't seem like you are equipped to do that yourself, but any good bike shop can do it in a few minutes.
Old 09-29-20, 07:20 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
If you can change a flat you can buy a spoke wrench and learn to trim up the wheel. However, if that seems too scary, take the bike to a shop and they can do it,

Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 09-29-20, 07:47 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
This is not a GD topic, post in 'bicycle mechanics' for stuff like this.
Old 09-30-20, 12:22 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by cxwrench
This is not a GD topic, post in 'bicycle mechanics' for stuff like this.
I went through the list of forums and did not see that.
Old 09-30-20, 12:34 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
If you can change a flat you can buy a spoke wrench and learn to trim up the wheel. However, if that seems too scary, take the bike to a shop and they can do it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hRnH2S3nng
Amazing, thank you, that really doesn't look too difficult.

Edit: Well, seems to be worse, I had a look and one of the spokes is completely loose, turnable by hand but nothing happens, looks like the entry to the rim is broken, it now looks like a hole, with the spoke going into it, whereas the others look more fixed, more connected.

Last edited by ZHVelo; 09-30-20 at 12:58 AM.
Old 09-30-20, 12:38 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
moved here from General
Old 09-30-20, 07:23 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Well, seems to be worse, I had a look and one of the spokes is completely loose, turnable by hand but nothing happens, looks like the entry to the rim is broken, it now looks like a hole, with the spoke going into it, whereas the others look more fixed, more connected.
There's your problem, then. You need to replace a spoke and nipple; $1-2 for the parts. Perhaps another $5-30 for tools if it's the drive side rear. If you haven't touched any other spoke with the wrench, you can simply put the new one in and tighten it, with some stress-relieving (look it up!) until the wheel's straight and true. If you get frustrated and just want to ride the bike, LBS around here will true it for the same labor they charge for replacing the spoke, around $25.
Old 09-30-20, 08:11 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Amazing, thank you, that really doesn't look too difficult.

Edit: Well, seems to be worse, I had a look and one of the spokes is completely loose, turnable by hand but nothing happens, looks like the entry to the rim is broken, it now looks like a hole, with the spoke going into it, whereas the others look more fixed, more connected.
When you say the “entry to the rim is broken”, does the spoke seem to be pulling out of the rim? If it is, you broken the rim and need a new rim or wheel. Pictures would help.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-30-20, 09:28 AM
ZHVelo

Yes, in photo 3 you can see that the nipple sits smug in the opening into the rim. In picture 4 you can see a lot of black around the nipple, and the spoke itself is still in the nipple, but the nipple is totally loose in there.

I also noticed that (in picture 1) the tyre where the valve is seems to not sit perfectly anymore (compared to the front wheel in picture 2)

Old 09-30-20, 10:04 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Pics are pretty blurry, but I "think" I see a spoke thread exposed. Sometimes the pic is too close to focus properly.
That would mean the spoke got so loose, the nipple has backed off. Probably non drive side (NDS) spokes?

IF you are very new to this, I'd have a shop true AND TENSION the wheel.
It's easy for a beginner to induce a severe hop in the wheel if you need to tighten a large amount of spokes.
You can "pluck" spokes and listen to the sound to get an idea how even the tension is. (DS have more tension than NDS, so will have a higher pitch)
If you take it to a shop, remove the tire & rim tape to reduce labor costs.
Old 09-30-20, 10:12 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,900 Times in 2,537 Posts
Question - can you slide the spoke out of the nipple? In other words, have the nipple threads stripped? If so, you need a new nipple. (It is also possible that the spoke broke at the start of the threads, You will see that right away because the spoke will pull out very easily but I doubt that is the case because it should have already come if that were true.

To replace a nipple, you remove tire and tube, pull back the rim strip tape over the spoke holes, shake the nipple out and replace. (Trick - screw the new nipple onto another spoke backwards. Stick through the hole from the tire side. Screw onto spoke. Grab nipple with spoke wrench and unscrew your starter spoke. Many of us cut down that starter spoke, screw a nipple on in regular fashion tight, bend a nice handle into the spoke and have a very useful spoke starter tool.)

You may have to replace the rimstrip tape after peeling it up. Not all re-stick satisfactorily. The very common Velox tape does. It has been my preferred rimstrip for many years, Might be worth picking up a roll when you by the new (2) spokes and nipples. (2) so you can make the tool.

I understand if you don't want to go through all this. But you might just find working on bikes is fun!

Ben
Old 09-30-20, 05:02 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Yes, in photo 3 you can see that the nipple sits smug in the opening into the rim. In picture 4 you can see a lot of black around the nipple, and the spoke itself is still in the nipple, but the nipple is totally loose in there.

I also noticed that (in picture 1) the tyre where the valve is seems to not sit perfectly anymore (compared to the front wheel in picture 2)

It looks like the bead is has trapped the grommet on the inner tube. Deflate the tire...NOW!..., unscrew the nut on the valve and push the tube up into the tire. If you leave it there, the tube will eventually herniate from under the tire and a low noise will result.

The good news is that it doesn’t look like the rim is broken. You didn’t pull a nipple through. You have two different styles of nipples there. I would suspect that the square nipple is broken. It looks like it might be aluminum and they can break. It needs to be replaced. It would be better to replace it with a nipple that matches the other nipples. If they are square, then replace with a square one, if they are splined, replace with one that is splined. It will make wheel work easier down the line.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-01-20, 10:19 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by cyccommute
It looks like the bead is has trapped the grommet on the inner tube. Deflate the tire...NOW!..., unscrew the nut on the valve and push the tube up into the tire. If you leave it there, the tube will eventually herniate from under the tire and a low noise will result.

The good news is that it doesn’t look like the rim is broken. You didn’t pull a nipple through. You have two different styles of nipples there. I would suspect that the square nipple is broken. It looks like it might be aluminum and they can break. It needs to be replaced. It would be better to replace it with a nipple that matches the other nipples. If they are square, then replace with a square one, if they are splined, replace with one that is splined. It will make wheel work easier down the line.
I used a different tube and it looks exactly the same. What are the chances that "the bead has trapped the grommet on the inner tube" (not sure what that means) in both cases?

That is good news, thanks.
Old 10-01-20, 10:37 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
It means that the reinforced part of the tube around the valve is not fully inside the tire, the tube is preventing the bead of the tire from fully seating against the hook of the rim. Push the valve towards the tire a few times (into the tire) and then pull down. The bead of the tire should now be engaging the hook of the time and the line on the tire casing will look consistent rather than having that bulge like yours now does. I can't think of a better way to describe it w/o posting a video of what we're talking about. I feel like I just said the same thing @cyccomute did but I just used more words.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-01-20, 10:45 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

With just a bit of pressure in the tire- So you can basically still push the beads together with thumb & forefinger-
Push valve stem in-
Massage bead to bead seat-
Pull valve back out-
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 10-01-20, 10:47 AM
cyccommute 

I used a different tube and it looks exactly the same. What are the chances that "the bead has trapped the grommet on the inner tube" (not sure what that means) in both cases?

That is good news, thanks.
The chances of the grommet on the tube being trapped between two different tubes is fairly high if you aren’t aware of the problem. The valve grommet is the part of the tube that is circled. This one is fairly large but all tubes have them.

You can trap the tube under the tire and when you pump it up, the tube will sneak out from under the bead and cause a blowout.

When you put a tube in a tire, push the stem up into the tire (red arrow) and then pull it down (green arrow). This will put the grommet on the right side of the bead.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-01-20, 11:22 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

All this tire seating is kind of moot until the rim is "fixed".
Old 10-01-20, 05:43 PM
ZHVelo

Thank you for the explanation, and yes I decided to give it to a LBS to check out, don't feel confident in seeing if I can properly fix it.