Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When can I expect riding to become enjoyable?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

When can I expect riding to become enjoyable?

Old 11-10-20, 07:11 PM
Cacti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Each person's experience is unique, and so I would not worry about the OP. I'd worry about the wheel. So far as I know there are good online tutorials about adjusting disc brakes. All I can really suggest is that there is no rule for how long it will take to get over your muscles getting used to a new activity, so be patient with yourself.
Not to derail the thread, but I just took it out for my first spin. Honestly, the bike feels like what I paid for it. Cheap.. It's a Gravity LTD27 MTB. I almost fell off the damn thing . I haven't ridden a bike since I was 17

It's also a 21 speed, which I have no idea how to use. I got the chain on the middle wheel in front and shifted up from there and that's pretty much all I wanted to do. But how freely are the wheels supposed to spin? I can hear the front wheel rubbing when I was putting it together. But then I also heard a similar sound coming from the back wheel, which was already put on at the factory. I would think you'd want those wheels spinning with zero friction, I hate to take it in to the bike shop, since it will probably cost me almost as much as I paid for the bike to have them fix it ($250). Also, the back tire isn't inflating. The front tire went fine with a foot pump. But maybe the back tire needs a stronger burst of air to set properly?

I doubt anyone can answer my questions here, but I've gotten no response in the mechanics section yet. Good riding!
Old 11-10-20, 07:17 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Do the fix we told you about if the brakes are rubbing. If the tyre is rubbing on the chainstays, you need to put the wheels on correctly before they wear a hole in the frame,
I can't help you with the pumping of the rear tyre. Maybe you have a flat or simply don't pump hard enough. I don't know. You don't need to "set" a tubed tyre as you would a tubeless. The tube will do that for you (assuming you don't have pinch flats and what have you).
Some things you have to do properly. If you cannot do that, you need to go to a shop and have them do it for you whether the bike cost you $250 or $25000.
Old 11-10-20, 07:22 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Originally Posted by Cacti
Interesting OP because I'm literally just taking a break from putting my first bike together (my wheel is rubbing against the disc pads, so if anyone can help me out with that I'd greatly appreciate it!)

I have many of the same questions you pose. I live in AZ where I swim in the summer because it's unimaginably hot and was looking for a winter activity other than hiking. I hate treadmills, running, or even walking. I thought I might enjoy some of the very things you mentioned that you now say does nothing for you. Really hope I'm different. I love fresh air and hoping that adding a little speed makes biking more fun than running for me. There are also tons of trails and bike paths to explore where I live. Otherwise, your post is utterly depressing for someone who's been totally amped to go on their first

Now if I can just get the front wheel to stop rubbing..
Had the same issue when I bought new wheels. Watched a GCN video and followed it to a t and voila, no more rub.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V3uCGRAWG2M

Now back to the beatings.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-10-20, 08:58 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Like the Ford Model T at its peak of production, bikes are shipped from the manufacturer without ever being fully tested. The final assembly and QC is done by the retailer, or by the consumer. So there are numerous reports of mail-order bikes needing adjustment and minor repair (properly lubricating the bearings, setting the spoke tension) from the git-go.

I believe that with patience and enough video's, the bike can be set to rights, but of course it's easier for someone who has worked on a few bikes. The first thing I'd check is that the wheels are fully seated in their slots. I've only owned one disc brake bike, which was prepped by the shop before I brought it home, so I haven't experienced working on disc brakes yet.
Old 11-10-20, 09:20 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by IGH_Only
So I have been riding 8-10 miles for almost 3 weeks now, almost every day ... In all honesty, there is nothing I enjoy all that much about it ... Somehow, I've manage to always complete the predetermined route ...

I thought I'd enjoy (many different things that turned out to not be enjoyable). But even having said all that, I have a strong compulsion to keep going every single time and especially before the ride begins. I've never cut off a ride earlier than I planned. I feel forced to ride before the journey begins so it's certainly not a lack of motivation problem. Which is a bit unusual because knowing myself I could have easily given up for good after the first few days/a week.

I don't have any plans to quit any time soon. I'm not sure if I do it for the fitness. I think definitely to some extent. I don't think I do it just to play with the shiny new toy. So I guess all that is background for should I expect to get to a place where I like it more? Would a much better bike make it more enjoyable? I currently ride a 3 speed entry level bike. I think enjoy it for the most part but don't have a comparative basis.
Maybe it's just me, but this doesn't seem to me to be a fit issue or an equipment issue. This is an internal conflict issue. He doesn't enjoy cycling, at least not yet - but he feels compelled to go ride anyway, because on some level he WANTS to enjoy cycling. I've spent a lot of time discussing my life choices with people I pay to listen, and IGH_Only's choosing to continue to do something that on some level he knows is right, even when his heart isn't in it currently is pretty damned noble. You follow your feet. You go where you are supposed to go and you do what you should do and sooner or later the odds are pretty good that your feelings will catch up with them. Usually it's applied to walking through things, but if you can follow your feet while trudging along, surely you can also follow them when they're hopefully making perfect circles.

Sometimes I ride because I need to ride. Not because I want to. Not because it's a nice hobby, not because of some geopolitical statement, not to virtue-signal, not to attain or maintain physical health, not to drop my buddies or rack up mileage or even see the perfect vista. Sometimes I ride my bike because I need to ride my bike, and that need is bigger than anything enjoyable.

I got curious when someone mentioned other posts by the OP and went back through them. He does have legit questions, and I have been intrigued by how much discussion follows some of the threads he starts. Some of those discussions cut to the core of things in ways that a non-cyclist might not ever understand. One doesn't expect to see such a schism in the Monocog-istic world, but the gulf between some single-speeders and some fixed-gear devotees is pretty intense.

To the OP - continue riding, and see what the voice that compels you is trying to communicate to you. Perhaps the enjoyment just isn't clear yet, perhaps you are on your way to experiencing something deeper and richer and more fulfilling than simple pleasure - not that there's anything wrong with simple pleasure. But the juxtaposition of you don't enjoy it conventionally, yet you feel a need to ride and you don't cut the ride short - there is something deeper going on there that should not be ignored. I think you will find it rewarding, even if you don't necessarily enjoy it in a conventional sense.

Maybe another bike would be more enjoyable - but better is more about fit and suitability to how you want to ride than it is about money. Some of my greatest, happiest rides in the last few years have been on a battered 1971 French Gitane fixed-gear conversion that looks like it survived Verdun, featuring a four-decade parts assemblage. The only bike I truly regret parting with was a Raleigh Competition frameset covered in Krylon and house paint that I pulled from a roadside trash heap, built up with scavenged parts and rode as a beater and a commuter.

Last edited by rustystrings61; 11-11-20 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Emphasis
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 11-11-20, 05:27 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Tough crowd here OP.
Some don’t want you around if you aren’t obsessed.
Keep in mind that there have been entire threads about how often many of them will go into their garage at night for no other reason than to sneak another peak at their beloved bicycle.
Or worse, the ones that don’t feel the garage is good enough and instead keep their precious inside the house
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 11-11-20, 07:46 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,301 Times in 7,232 Posts
Some of us don’t have garages and thus keep our bikes inside the house.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-11-20, 08:34 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Tough crowd here OP.
Keep in mind that there have been entire threads about how often many of them will go into their garage at night for no other reason than to sneak another peak at their beloved bicycle.
Or worse, the ones that don’t feel the garage is good enough and instead keep their precious inside the house
Five pages of people trying to help. I'll just let that stand here.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-11-20, 09:06 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Cacti
Interesting OP because I'm literally just taking a break from putting my first bike together (my wheel is rubbing against the disc pads, so if anyone can help me out with that I'd greatly appreciate it!)

Now if I can just get the front wheel to stop rubbing..
Try this video - Park Tool has the best how-to videos
https://youtu.be/NmqGeLNcVIg
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 11-11-20, 09:40 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Tough crowd here OP.
There is a tough crowd on BF, but the vast majority of folks are helpful. I've been on every side of this equation. I simply ignore the tough crowd, or engage in some sparring; and spend my time exchanging messages with the helpful folks.

Let's not throw shade on in-house bike storage. My garage is tiny with two large vehicles and it's as secure as screendoor. Bike thefts are common in our area, so storing bikes indoors is smart, not over valuing bikes.

Also this has been a great background in my office for all on my 2020 Zoom/Teams meetings:

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 11-11-20 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-11-20, 10:00 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
I stopped reading a page or two ago.

Go buy an e-bike. Pedal when you want, coast when you want.

Downhills are always more fun than climbs. Everything can be downhill.

What is important is getting out, although I say that with some reservation in November.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 11-11-20, 10:27 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
So I have been riding 8-10 miles for almost 3 weeks now, almost every day. I will be going to every other day primarily due to elbow pain issues, as well as thigh soreness. But I digress. In all honesty, there is nothing I enjoy all that much about it. I want to quit the first couple of miles almost every single time. Somehow, I've manage to always complete the predetermined route, usually with a bit of tiredness.

I thought I'd enjoy the scenery of streets and trails I've never seen before. Nope. I thought I enjoy getting out a lot more having been shuttered in during the pandemic. Not so much. And I genuinely hate with a passion every overpass and underpass that I have to go through. But even having said all that, I have a strong compulsion to keep going every single time and especially before the ride begins. I've never cut off a ride earlier than I planned. I feel forced to ride before the journey begins so it's certainly not a lack of motivation problem. Which is a bit unusual because knowing myself I could have easily given up for good after the first few days/a week.

I don't have any plans to quit any time soon. I'm not sure if I do it for the fitness. I think definitely to some extent. I don't think I do it just to play with the shiny new toy. So I guess all that is background for should I expect to get to a place where I like it more? Would a much better bike make it more enjoyable? I currently ride a 3 speed entry level bike. I think enjoy it for the most part but don't have a comparative basis.
After re-reading your thread and all the replies consider the following. If you really want to continue cycling for health reason do consider a different bike. 70 years ago a 3 speed was a great bike, but not now. I would say at least an 8 speed is needed. And as I suggested before, if your elbow is a chronic on going problem, yes indeed maybe consider a trike or a used trike. There is no pressure on your elbow at all. Further with a trike you can ride as slow or fast as you want to without unclipping. That means you can ride at ANY speed you want to.

But MOST important -----------ride YOUR ride. Find what makes you happy, and ride the places that you enjoy seeing. And lastly forget all the "real cyclist" advice about cadence, speed, endurance, and the special kit you need to wear, and all the other things they say a "real cyclist" must do. Yes--------ride how you like to ride.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 11-11-20, 10:43 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
After re-reading your thread and all the replies consider the following. If you really want to continue cycling for health reason do consider a different bike. 70 years ago a 3 speed was a great bike, but not now. I would say at least an 8 speed is needed. And as I suggested before, if your elbow is a chronic on going problem, yes indeed maybe consider a trike or a used trike. There is no pressure on your elbow at all. Further with a trike you can ride as slow or fast as you want to without unclipping. That means you can ride at ANY speed you want to.

But MOST important -----------ride YOUR ride. Find what makes you happy, and ride the places that you enjoy seeing. And lastly forget all the "real cyclist" advice about cadence, speed, endurance, and the special kit you need to wear, and all the other things they say a "real cyclist" must do. Yes--------ride how you like to ride.
I don't think I've seen anyone mention Grant Petersen's book Just Ride in this thread, but his whole un-racer attitude might help reinforce the sentiment of finding one's own ride.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 11-11-20, 10:49 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by CargoDane
Five pages of people trying to help. I'll just let that stand here.
Riiight...
The very first response was “sell the bike and watch tv”
And that was seconded about 3 posts later.
Have a seat
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 11-11-20, 10:49 AM
Cacti

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Try this video - Park Tool has the best how-to videos
https://youtu.be/NmqGeLNcVIg

Awesome thanks! I'm rather proud of myself as I got mad at the situation and just dug in on my own to fix it yesterday. The problem (I'm convinced) was that they either ran the cable wrong or it somehow got jarred during packing because it because it was literally pulling on the brake in it's mount. I took it off, re-routed the cable to give it more space, adjusted the calipers, re-attached it and the wheel spins like a charm now

But it's always good to have a reliable source for videos and info
Likes For Cacti:
Old 11-11-20, 10:53 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Some of us don’t have garages and thus keep our bikes inside the house.
I’m sure your precious bike is in your bedroom in that case.
I don’t pay that much attention here but I’m guessing that the amount of times that you have posted pictures of your bike is in the thousands
Old 11-11-20, 10:56 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
There is a tough crowd on BF, but the vast majority of folks are helpful. I've been on every side of this equation. I simply ignore the tough crowd, or engage in some sparring; and spend my time exchanging messages with the helpful folks.

Let's not throw shade on in-house bike storage. My garage is tiny with two large vehicles and it's as secure as screendoor. Bike thefts are common in our area, so storing bikes indoors is smart, not over valuing bikes.

Also this has been a great background in my office for all on my 2020 Zoom/Teams meetings:

Outstanding bikes
Old 11-11-20, 11:08 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Outstanding bikes
Thank you!
Old 11-11-20, 11:10 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Riiight...
Have a seat
So two posts. Have you seen how long this thread is? Maybe you are the one who needs a seat. A high chair, perhaps.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-11-20, 12:06 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Bicycling will become enjoyable at 3:13 a.m. eastern time on December 7, 2020, .... but will cease to be enjoyable six minutes, seventeen second later. Don't miss your window.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-11-20, 12:39 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
You talk about your elbows hurting so much you had to stop riding your bike. That is most certainly a fitment issue.
The reason I don't think it's a fit issue (and it's possible you may be right) is that it's only in one elbow which I have had general tendonitis/rotator cuff issues for years. The other feels fine. I'm inclined to believe that it's due to over usage more than anything from bicycling every day out of the blue, sometimes twice.
Nah, still a fit issue. If you have a disability, make you bike fit and work with that is even more important. If your bike fit is so bad that your elbow hurts (not even something like your hips or knees or something that takes a lot of force), then you have to make it fit you and work with your limitations. You don't want to aggravate the problem. You already had to stop at one point because it hurt too much.
if you are doing it right your elbows take almost no strain at all.

I hurt my left elbow after trying to come back from a separated shoulder too soon. I couldn't support my weight properly or balance properly because of the pain so I developed the habit of locking my left arm to hold me up. Cooked my left elbow and it reminded on every ride for years. I finally learned not to carry weight on my arms---I still might for a short while when I get really tired, but my memory reminds me of how much it hurt and for how long.

A lot of it is fitness, but you need to set up your bike for your current fitness level and change it as your fitness changes.

Most new riders in my limited and very biased experience (I remember only what makes me look smart in later conversation) have the seat too low .... and even if they get it right, they tend not to use the legs enough, and both sit too heavy on the saddle and lean too hard on the hands. As they get tired, it gets worse.

If your elbow hurts, you need to change what you are doing. There are all kinds of videos and article son bike fit .... just don't try to stretch out like a racer .... look for something like "beginner bike fitting" or "Setting up my hybrid" or whatever, You know what I mean.

While you are riding, pay attention to form ... particularly when you get tired. Find out what you are doing which hurts your elbow. Correct form seems ludicrous---every kid hops on a bike and rides away, right? but as we age, and as we want to ride longer distances relative to our fitness levles, we find out right away the difference between youth and ... well, decrepitude, in my case. So proper form is important. it is easy to learn and takes no particular dexterity or flexibility, but it will prevent you from hurting your elbows ... worse.

Also .... I want to ride daily, I try to ride daily, i used to ride daily ... but. I find I need a day to recover and sometimes two ... and I have learned to take the time. Take time to save time because if you push too hard you lose weeks, not days .....

Also do 'recovery" rides. Do a two- or three-mile spin, sitting on the seat and spinning the pedals gently, not going fast or hard, and avoid the hills, on alternate days. Even walking will work --- might be better, in fact.

The idea, I think, is that your muscles get more blood flow which accelerates healing and growth, compared to sitting on the couch resting .... but if you push hard with sore muscles you just tear them up and lose more days.

You might do Big Ride, day off, recovery ride, Big Ride, etc or whatever your body likes best. You might have all the willpower to ride daily but not necessarily the physical capacity yet.

The real answer, of course, which no one here has the courage to tell you, is .... bicycling sucks. It is never fun. We all feel stupid because we bought these ridiculous clothes and these expensive bikes and gear, and after rolling around dressed like freaks .... we are too embarrassed to admit it was all an expensive mistake.

It is sort of an Emperor's New Clothes thing ... we are not supposed to tell other riders until they have invested enough to themselves be unwilling to back out ... I like you so I am breaking the code of silence. Get Out Now.

This will likely be my last post. They are coming to get me!
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-11-20, 12:57 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
It is sort of an Emperor's New Clothes thing ... we are not supposed to tell other riders until they have invested enough to themselves be unwilling to back out ... I like you so I am breaking the code of silence. Get Out Now.
That's like the first rule of the Fight Club!
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 11-11-20, 01:00 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Riiight...
Have a seat
Don't forget the numerous non helpful/negative/snarky responses by the usual suspects for "goofing" on threads for sport, with references to horse beating and other OT BS as well references or hints about other threads that may have been made by the OP in order to harass him.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 11-11-20, 01:07 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Don't forget the numerous non helpful/negative/snarky responses by the usual suspects for "goofing" on threads for sport, with references to horse beating and other OT BS as well references or hints about other threads that may have been made by the OP in order to harass him.
And people going into threads solely to complain how the posts are not helpful
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-11-20, 01:26 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
And people going into threads solely to complain how the posts are not helpful
That is exactly how I would describe the usual suspects for "goofing" on threads for sport, with references to horse beating, pictures of pig walking and other OT BS and numerous non helpful/negative/snarky responses as well references or hints about other threads that may have been made by the OP in order to harass him.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.