Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

2017 Specialized Sequoia

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

2017 Specialized Sequoia

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-20, 09:27 AM
Tombaatar

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Sequoia, 99 Gary Fisher Aquila, 88 Diamondback Apex, 89 Trek 400, 85 Specialized Rock Hopper, 86 Peugeot Triathlon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
2017 Specialized Sequoia

Has anyone else had a problem with Specialized steel frames rusting? The chain stay appears to be cracked through and the crack looks rusted. I store this bike indoors.
Old 11-24-20, 07:59 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Much more likely that the frame cracked and the edges of the crack got rusty. It takes a lot of time to rust through even thin walled tubes. Like decades, if it happens, which it usually doesn’t.
Old 11-24-20, 11:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
If you are the original owner and purchased the bike at an authorized Specialized dealer go to your local Specialized dealer and they can help file a warranty and get you a new bike. Obviously yes they don't have steel frames currently (and yes Steel is most certainly real) but you have a lifetime warranty on that frame as long as you are the original owner and they are there to help you out. My Langster cracked at the bottom bracket after 11 years and they replaced with a new frame and fork (and just so happened it was a limited edition as that is all they had left) and I didn't need to pay anything or do anything aside from any parts I wanted on the new bike.

You could also talk with a local or semi local or even non-local steel frame builder and see if they can help repair it (some actually offer repairs on their website).

If it were me personally and I had this issue I would see what I could replace it with and try and resell the new bike (which if you can get one is easy these days) and go to the framebuilder and get something nice for yourself in that same style. Plenty of awesome framebuidlers building cool gravel/all-road/groad/adventure...whatever you want to call it these days and even some cool semi-custom options out there as well. Though I did really love the Sequoia and currently have a Pro-module in a box waiting to be built up (or sold if the right buyer comes around)
Old 11-25-20, 12:30 AM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Hi.

If you join the Specialized AWOL and Sequoia Owners Group on Facebook, you can see a whole lot of other threads where Sequoia owners (and AWOL owners) have had their frames crack in the chainstays, right by the dimples in the steel.

Many have been successful in having their frame replaced and you'll be more than welcome to join the group for support with the issue.

Many people receive Diverge frames, but others have received Crux frames and discounts etc.
Old 11-30-20, 06:43 AM
Tombaatar

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Sequoia, 99 Gary Fisher Aquila, 88 Diamondback Apex, 89 Trek 400, 85 Specialized Rock Hopper, 86 Peugeot Triathlon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
This is good information. Thanks. I did not know about that FB group.